[Support] binhex - DelugeVPN

Hi guys, Linux noob here. I just installed and configured DelugeVPN (great program btw), but I was getting slow speeds, so I ran some tests and found that some of the servers that are used by the ovpn file for us-east are extremely slow. Others are fast. How do I pick and choose what server(s) to connect to? I think you need to find an ovpn config file and edit it, but I can't find it.

P.S. about the post above, doesn't DelugeVPN have a built in firewall for preventing leaks?

P.P.S. will changing the server I'm connecting to effect MY firewall settings

11 minutes ago, DisplayNerd said:

Hi guys, Linux noob here. I just installed and configured DelugeVPN (great program btw), but I was getting slow speeds, so I ran some tests and found that some of the servers that are used by the ovpn file for us-east are extremely slow. Others are fast. How do I pick and choose what server(s) to connect to? I think you need to find an ovpn config file and edit it, but I can't find it.

You didn't say which provider you're using, but regardless of that, you need to use a server that supports port forwarding. Servers that don't support port forwarding will always be slow.

13 minutes ago, DisplayNerd said:

P.S. about the post above, doesn't DelugeVPN have a built in firewall for preventing leaks?

It does.

13 minutes ago, DisplayNerd said:

P.P.S. will changing the server I'm connecting to effect MY firewall settings

Not sure if you mean your router firewall or the built-in delugevpn firewall. But the simple answer is no.

The longer answer is that your router firewall is ignored when connected to a vpn. You're now using your vpn providers firewall so any settings/changes in your router firewall will be ignored. The delugevpn firewall is in place to make sure that the connections drops if your vpn connection ever fails.

So 1. once connected to a vpn you are using their firewall. 2. If the vpn connection ever fails you go back to your normal connection and your own firewall UNLESS there is something blocking that connection like the iptable rules in place in this container.

16 hours ago, Merijeek said:

Small question/issue with this container, and the answer may be somewhere in the 183 pages of this thread, but not on the FAQ. 

It looks like Radarr really wants labels to be enabled in Deluge. However, I can enable labels, but that add-on gets disabled upon a delugevpn docker reboot. 

Is there a way to fix that? 

Yes there is, on page 175 😉

9 hours ago, strike said:

You didn't say which provider you're using, but regardless of that, you need to use a server that supports port forwarding. Servers that don't support port forwarding will always be slow.

It does.

Not sure if you mean your router firewall or the built-in delugevpn firewall. But the simple answer is no.

The longer answer is that your router firewall is ignored when connected to a vpn. You're now using your vpn providers firewall so any settings/changes in your router firewall will be ignored. The delugevpn firewall is in place to make sure that the connections drops if your vpn connection ever fails.

So 1. once connected to a vpn you are using their firewall. 2. If the vpn connection ever fails you go back to your normal connection and your own firewall UNLESS there is something blocking that connection like the iptable rules in place in this container.

To clarify, yes, my server does support port forwarding. I'm connecting on port 443 UDP which should be ok. My provider is windscribe. The issue I'm having is that some of the 40 server Ips that are included in us-east.windscribe.com are incredibly slow (1-2mbps vs 30mbps on faster ones) which I sometimes connected to. My question is how do I prevent deluge from connecting to the Ips that are slower and will forcing deluge to connect to specific servers break anything?

6 minutes ago, DisplayNerd said:

My question is how do I prevent deluge from connecting to the Ips that are slower and will forcing deluge to connect to specific servers break anything?

targeting a specific server is fine and wont break anything in the short term, however targeting the name is more resilient to change, obviously if you target a specific ip and that ip changes then you wont be able to connect until you change it, whereas name lookup will always pick up any changes to ip.

21 minutes ago, binhex said:

targeting a specific server is fine and wont break anything in the short term, however targeting the name is more resilient to change, obviously if you target a specific ip and that ip changes then you wont be able to connect until you change it, whereas name lookup will always pick up any changes to ip.

I understand Ips are subject to change.

Any way you can show me how to do this or what file to edit. I've been looking for a config file and can't find it.

1 minute ago, DisplayNerd said:

I understand Ips are subject to change.

Any way you can show me how to do this or what file to edit. I've been looking for a config file and can't find it.

download the ovpn config file from your vpn provider, put it in /config/openvpn, edit it with notepad++ and change the remote line to point at the particular ip that you want to connect to.

13 minutes ago, binhex said:

download the ovpn config file from your vpn provider, put it in /config/openvpn, edit it with notepad++ and change the remote line to point at the particular ip that you want to connect to.

Thank you. Can I use my existing openvpn file (I've been using deluge already)?

16 hours ago, DisplayNerd said:

And one more question, just popped in my head right now, can I add multiple remote Ips to the config file so that if one fails I could use another?

at the moment, no, openvpn config supports this however the code i have written does not, so currently you are restricted to a single entry, if you add in multiples it will strip them out, thus the use of hostname recommendation, personally i would contact windscribe about the bandwidth issues, sounds nasty!.

5 hours ago, binhex said:

at the moment, no, openvpn config supports this however the code i have written does not, so currently you are restricted to a single entry, if you add in multiples it will strip them out, thus the use of hostname recommendation, personally i would contact windscribe about the bandwidth issues, sounds nasty!.

Thanks for your help. I'm definitely contacting them. If they can't solve my problem I'm going to probably rent a proxy

9 minutes ago, binhex said:

if you are thinking of using a proxy to secure deluge traffic then dont, it leaks like a sieve, there is a reason why i created this image :-).

What about proxy qbittorrent or another application? If they all do leak, I'd rather stick with my VPN on slow than get another letter from my ISP

Edited by DisplayNerd
1 minute ago, DisplayNerd said:

What about proxy qbittorrent or another application?

unknown by me, ive heard qbittorrent is much better at honouring a proxy and blocking when its down, personally though im not sure i trust the application developer enough, what if its broken in a later release, you wont know until its too late. 

why not switch to a decent VPN provider and be happy?, PIA or AirVPN are two well known providers that have decent speed and are relatively cheap.

On 5/20/2019 at 1:47 PM, itractus said:

After doing some testing, setting the download folder to the local host DID remove the insane IO load i was having. So for that I will be troubleshooting my NFS config. Possibly I'm using some flags that are not optimal for torrenting.

HOWEVER, it did not increase my bandwidth. I did notice less "flushing" to the local drive, but still only hit top speeds of 2.5MiB/s.

I will do some more research and get back to you guys after I find out the exact issue.

Any news? I'm having the same problem, even on the QB docker.

Edit: fixed this on qbittorrentvpn by switching to tcp only.

Edited by thatsthefrickenlightning
48 minutes ago, binhex said:

unknown by me, ive heard qbittorrent is much better at honouring a proxy and blocking when its down, personally though im not sure i trust the application developer enough, what if its broken in a later release, you wont know until its too late. 

why not switch to a decent VPN provider and be happy?, PIA or AirVPN are two well known providers that have decent speed and are relatively cheap.

I'll stick with my VPN. It's not bad ( I get 30mbps+ on most servers, I just have a bit of a problem rn with openvpn). I'll contact support and try to fix this. Thank you for the help! Much appreciated 👍

• Like 1

Hello everyone.

First of all, thank you binhex and to everyone who participated in the creation of this docker.

I was wondering if it was possible to connect multiple VPN sources in order to increase the bandwidth? Currently, I use PIA VPN and I have a 1Gbps connection at home so it's far from being fully used. I know it's possible to create multiple TAP but I was wondering if this functionality was already included in this docker image? If not, do you see any possibility for it to work?

Thank you!

Hello everyone.

First of all, thank you binhex and to everyone who participated in the creation of this docker.

I was wondering if it was possible to connect multiple VPN sources in order to increase the bandwidth? Currently, I use PIA VPN and I have a 1Gbps connection at home so it's far from being fully used. I know it's possible to create multiple TAP but I was wondering if this functionality was already included in this docker image? If not, do you see any possibility for it to work?

Thank you!
No you can't do this.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

I am having issues. Everything seems fine but I can not get to the webui

unifi usg---> switch to unraid

everything was working fine using isp equipment but no longer using it.

Do I need to port forward the port? and what port?

Quck update, gave the docker a separate ip and it works, well except for trying to get radarr to connect to deluge

log.txt

Edited by anylettuce
On 5/23/2019 at 6:22 PM, thatsthefrickenlightning said:

Any news?

So, I will provide an update. I did not get it to work. Besides that I am certain this image is stopping my torrent client from actually connecting to peers. After running this config for a week, I've got about 80 unfinished torrents. This would be fine, if those torrents did not have any peers, however this is not the case.

I'm getting connected to peers that have 100% of the files, and I can simply watch deluge not pull anything in.

So In short, The VPN connection works, some torrents work fine. The VPN connection is capped to about 1mbps normally and 2.5 on a good day. I've tried to eliminate any bottleneck from my setup, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing this issue.

6 hours ago, anylettuce said:

I am having issues. Everything seems fine but I can not get to the webui

unifi usg---> switch to unraid

everything was working fine using isp equipment but no longer using it.

Do I need to port forward the port? and what port?

Quck update, gave the docker a separate ip and it works, well except for trying to get radarr to connect to deluge

log.txt 12.46 kB · 3 downloads

rookie mistake:-

LAN_NETWORK defined as '192.168.1.6/24'

see OP link to documentation, then VPN faq section for examples on how to configure this correctly.