[Support] binhex - DelugeVPN

A few days ago I started having lots of torrents throwing "Connection timed out" errors. It cycles through trackers seemingly randomly: sometimes all torrents from a single tracker have the error, sometimes it's torrents from 4-5 different trackers. "Update tracker" option doesn't help.

I'm using deluge 2.0.3 with AirVPN; I tried with several different servers but it doesn't make a difference. Incoming port is forwarded through the VPN and checks out as open.

EDIT: It was DNS related. Not sure which server(s) is causing issues, but changing the NAME_SERVERS variable to use only Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 DNS fixed the problem.

Edited by dasz

I have been having similar connectivity issues over the past month or so. I thought my server was dying, or maybe my thumbdrive....

My container will continue running, but lose all of it's connections to the tracker. Reboot was working mostly, and then that even stopped. I just changed my PIA VPN back to CA Toronto and it came right back up, but I'll keep an eye on it. Super frustrating.

On 8/28/2020 at 3:01 AM, dasz said:

A few days ago I started having lots of torrents throwing "Connection timed out" errors. It cycles through trackers seemingly randomly: sometimes all torrents from a single tracker have the error, sometimes it's torrents from 4-5 different trackers. "Update tracker" option doesn't help.

I'm using deluge 2.0.3 with AirVPN; I tried with several different servers but it doesn't make a difference. Incoming port is forwarded through the VPN and checks out as open.

EDIT: It was DNS related. Not sure which server(s) is causing issues, but changing the NAME_SERVERS variable to use only Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 DNS fixed the problem.

On this variable, should it be left at default with all the name servers listed already in it? Or can you select one or two to use? 

Think there are 7 or 8 by default, wondering if this would potentially be the cause of my slow download speeds.

EDIT: Nevermind, I've just realised what the NS addresses all are :)

Edited by xxDeadbolt

I'm brand new to unraid and all of 'this' so please excuse my ignorance about this stuff.....

So I am fixing to install Delugevpn....does it only work with PIA? It seems like people have a lot of issues where end points stop working, etc. Is there a different way to set it up with a different vpn that is more stable? 

You can absolutely use a different VPN. 

Just fill in your VPN credentials when you download and select custom. 

Don't forget to put your. ovpn file from your VPN of choice (choose your endpoint)  in the correct appdata directory for delugevpn as instructed. 

The reason most people select PIA is that they offer port forwarding that many others don't.

Cheers

Is there any simple way, a console command or such, to force the docker to reconnect the VPN?

12 hours ago, SPOautos said:

I'm brand new to unraid and all of 'this' so please excuse my ignorance about this stuff.....

So I am fixing to install Delugevpn....does it only work with PIA? It seems like people have a lot of issues where end points stop working, etc. Is there a different way to set it up with a different vpn that is more stable? 

No, it doesnt work with PIA only. In the docker settings theres "VPN_PROV" where you can choose PIA, AirVPN or custom. I'm using custom with Mullvad VPN without problems.

Similar experience here. DelugeVPN updated overnight and i woke to find the container stopped. Tried to manually start the container but UNRAID is giving me the error "Execution Error"... working fine prior to the upgrade. Any suggestions?

Update: decided to delete the container and rebuild.. Same issue, the build fails with the following error:

"/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint binhex-delugevpn"

Is there an issue with the latest container release maybe? binhex/arch-delugevpn:latest

Edited by DAVIDP
14 hours ago, huladaddy said:

Had a strange one today. Woke up to find that my container is stopped and it shows up as an "orphan image". What do I do to get it up and running again?

click on 'add container' scroll down the 'template' list at the top and select under the '[ user templates ]' heading the contianer name, change nothing and click on 'apply'  

5 minutes ago, fc0712 said:

It’s reporting The following error code in the logs 

thats not an error, its information only as denoted by [info].

5 minutes ago, fc0712 said:

No torrents with state 'Error' found

this means there are no torrents in a state requiring re-checking, as in no errors found.

10 hours ago, binhex said:

click on 'add container' scroll down the 'template' list at the top and select under the '[ user templates ]' heading the contianer name, change nothing and click on 'apply'  

Thanks @binhex. I figured that out on my own and it worked. Can you explain why that happened? Anything to be concerned about?

On 9/1/2020 at 8:01 PM, huladaddy said:

Had a strange one today. Woke up to find that my container is stopped and it shows up as an "orphan image". What do I do to get it up and running again?

Same thing here, container updated overnight (on my Synology NAS through watchtower), it's starting but doesn't work.

If I look to the logs I get UDP local not bound + inactivity timeout (UDP link remote is connected).

I'll try toi rebuild container and see what happen, otherwise going 1 version back and disable auto-update.

Any idea?

Update: just found this error: 2020-08-30 05:05:09,268 DEBG 'watchdog-script' stdout output:
[info] DNS failure, creating file '/tmp/dnsfailure' to indicate failure...

So it's a DNS faillure, but is this local or the DNS used within the VPN?

Edited by Kopernikus
Update
Same thing here, container updated overnight (on my Synology NAS through watchtower), it's starting but doesn't work.
If I look to the logs I get UDP local not bound + inactivity timeout (UDP link remote is connected).
I'll try toi rebuild container and see what happen, otherwise going 1 version back and disable auto-update.

Any idea?

Then that's not the 'same thing', you didn't get an orphaned image, link to full log with debug set to true

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

So, this morning I noticed that none of my torrents were connecting to the tracker. Originally I thought it was one specific tracker, but then quickly realized everything wasn't working. The tracker error was: Error: Cannot assign requested address

I couldn't find any helpful information on that error, and since it was impacting more than 1 tracker, I figured it had to be something local to me. I tried to restart my deluge container, but after doing so the Web UI wouldn't come back up. I then went ahead and restarted my Unraid box and found that for whatever reason the Web UI there also started to fail to load. 

Finally I went ahead and restarted my network equipment and was able to get back onto Unraid. 

Everything seems to be online (Plex, Sonarr, etc.), however Deluge is still having issues. I'm still unable to load the Web UI. I was unsure if it was completely loading, and I remember a while back I had an issue with PIA VPN no longer supporting port forwarding out of Montreal, so I had switched to France (was still using that). I went ahead and tried to recreate my .ovpn file and tried the new servers for CA-Ontario, CA-Montreal, and even France. I noticed in the Deluge logs I was once again getting the port-forwarding errors there; even for France. I opted to use their Current server configuration, and chose France again, and no longer see that port forwarding warning...

In the logs I do see some concerning items. The first is this:

2020-09-03 10:19:37,439 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
Thu Sep 3 10:19:37 2020 TCP/UDP: Preserving recently used remote address: [AF_INET]X.X.X.X:1198
Thu Sep 3 10:19:37 2020 UDP link local: (not bound)
Thu Sep 3 10:19:37 2020 UDP link remote: [AF_INET]X.X.X.X:1198

The Link Local showing as Not Bound... I'll admit I have no idea if this is related to my issues, but I assume it's an issue being unable to bind a local IP?

Looking further at the log, I see a more critical error and one I'm unsure on how to resolve and I'm confident is the source of my issue.

2020-09-03 10:10:55,373 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] Attempting to load iptable_mangle module...

2020-09-03 10:10:55,374 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
modprobe: FATAL: Module iptable_mangle not found in directory /lib/modules/4.19.107-Unraid

2020-09-03 10:10:55,374 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Unable to load iptable_mangle module using modprobe, trying insmod...

2020-09-03 10:10:55,375 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
insmod: ERROR: could not load module /lib/modules/iptable_mangle.ko: No such file or directory

2020-09-03 10:10:55,375 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Unable to load iptable_mangle module, you will not be able to connect to the applications Web UI or Privoxy outside of your LAN
[info] unRAID/Ubuntu users: Please attempt to load the module by executing the following on your host: '/sbin/modprobe iptable_mangle'
[info] Synology users: Please attempt to load the module by executing the following on your host: 'insmod /lib/modules/iptable_mangle.ko'

So before anyone suggests it.. I realize it literally tells me to attempt to load the module by executing '/sbin/modprobe iptrable_mangle' on my host. I have tried that. I SSH'd into the server, and executed the command... Executing the command exactly as it's written gave me no output or confirmation of anything. I restarted the deluge image and see the same error list. 

I then tried to navigate to that folder path.. I'm told modprobe does not exist. I can navigate to ./sbin/, and I can type dir to get the directory listing. In the directory listing I can see 'modprobe' is listed there, but I cannot navigate into it.

Assuming this is the actual cause of all my issues, I realize this is slightly getting away from Deluge specifically, but iIf anyone has any input on how to resolve this issue, that would be great.

So.. somehow the iptable_mangle module issue seems to have resolved itself, but I'm still unable to get my WebUI to load.

It's still going through and displaying this output in the log

Thu Sep 3 11:02:49 2020 OpenVPN 2.4.7 [git:makepkg/2b8aec62d5db2c17+] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [PKCS11] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on Feb 19 2019
Thu Sep 3 11:02:49 2020 library versions: OpenSSL 1.1.1b 26 Feb 2019, LZO 2.10

2020-09-03 11:02:54,320 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
Thu Sep 3 11:02:54 2020 NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts

2020-09-03 11:02:54,321 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
Thu Sep 3 11:02:54 2020 TCP/UDP: Preserving recently used remote address: [AF_INET]x.x.x.x:1198
Thu Sep 3 11:02:54 2020 UDP link local: (not bound)
Thu Sep 3 11:02:54 2020 UDP link remote: [AF_INET]x.x.x.x:1198

2020-09-03 11:02:54,320 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
Thu Sep 3 11:02:54 2020 NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts

2020-09-03 11:02:54,321 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
Thu Sep 3 11:02:54 2020 TCP/UDP: Preserving recently used remote address: [AF_INET]x.x.x.x:1198
Thu Sep 3 11:02:54 2020 UDP link local: (not bound)
Thu Sep 3 11:02:54 2020 UDP link remote: [AF_INET]x.x.x.x:1198

So I still suspect it's to do with the UDP link local not bound warning there.

That aside, I'm at a loss as to what to try next

Edit: Was looking in Sonarr to see if it could even communicate with Deluge, and it's showing errors that Deluge is inaccessible. When I try and test the connection I get:

Unknown exception: Unable to write data to the transport connection: The socket has been shut down.

Edited by NVS1

So in the past week I've been experiencing intermittent connection issues (as in; no internet access at all) locally everything kept working fine.

Eventually after a bit of mucking about, it turns out to be this container. Stopping the binhex-delugevpn container and everything suddenly started working as intended, I did not have this issue with the normal deluge container.

So it's mostly dns server related (though I'm no professional so my diagnosis might be wrong) But using the default NAME_SERVERS causes major latency issues, pinging the dns server would show a delay of on average 200-300ms with about 50% of the pings simply timing out. stopping the container immediatly resolves that. Regardless of which vpn server (I'm using PIA) or name server I use the issue persist.

Now I've changed the Name server to an opendns one that I know for sure isn't being used by anything in the house and as a workaround this is okay-ish, however it appears download speeds are still suffering heavily because of this, it also occasionaly breaks tracking torrents (until I restart the container).

Any clues as to why this might happen or how to resolve this? First week I had this running there were no issues at all, and I had the normal deluge container running fine for months so besides the vpn all settings are identical. 

edit nvm, my workaround did not work, running the container completely wrecks my internet connection to  the point it's unusable

Edited by Capronicus
additional info
4 hours ago, binhex said:

I know you didn't speak directly to my post, but I looked at that and saw similar errors in my logs... turns out it was the VPN provider (PIA)... Not sure what's going on, but the CA locations don't appear to support port forwarding anymore, and their france location must be having locations. Resorted to de-berlin, and everything is back online now.

15 hours ago, NVS1 said:

I know you didn't speak directly to my post, but I looked at that and saw similar errors in my logs... turns out it was the VPN provider (PIA)... Not sure what's going on, but the CA locations don't appear to support port forwarding anymore, and their france location must be having locations. Resorted to de-berlin, and everything is back online now.

I'm using CA Vancouver just now & don't have any issues with port forwarding. I think with PIA doing their 'next gen' changes, as a few people here have mentioned, it's causing some instability over a bunch of locations.