[Support] binhex - DelugeVPN

i just checked this thread as i wasnt able to connect to the webui also.

tried the old files i had kicking around, none of them worked. 

tried turning the strict port forward off and it wasnt working. 

logged in to the PIA website and redownloaded the opvn file. on the top now, there is the option to select "CURRENT" and "NEXTGEN".

adding the new "current" file in the directory, it would start with the port forward off. but not with it ON.

the "nextgen" server wouldnt open webui with the port forward on or off. 

i only tried the canada/ontario server. 

hope this helps someone. 

17 minutes ago, acosmichippo said:

I just switched to Mullvad and got a refund on my PIA subscription.  Luckily I just renewed within 30days, so they gave me a full refund.  They do not do prorated refunds, so if anyone is on the fence and recently renewed, check soon!

Mullvad seems to be a little slower so far, but to be fair I have only tried the Swiss servers. Is there a consensus fastest region or is it best to just pick the closest one to you.

I’m in the U.S. and Mullvad was significantly slower for me than PIA. That’s why I switched back. I ended up getting 3 years of service too. It really pisses me off too because without the port forwarding my speed is cut significantly. 

• Like 1

What I received back from PIA on the ticket I opened with them.  I will give them credit that they seem to be working on the issue.

"Thank you for reaching out here to PIA customer support, I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with using the OpenVPN, please note that we are fully aware of the situation and we are working hard to resolve this the soonest possible, for now, we do not have an ETA for the fix, rest assured that this is acknowledged and being worked on."

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Burizado said:

What I received back from PIA on the ticket I opened with them.  I will give them credit that they seem to be working on the issue.

"Thank you for reaching out here to PIA customer support, I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with using the OpenVPN, please note that we are fully aware of the situation and we are working hard to resolve this the soonest possible, for now, we do not have an ETA for the fix, rest assured that this is acknowledged and being worked on."

maybe the message is finally getting through that they have a problem, its only taken them two weeks! 🙄

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, binhex said:

maybe the message is finally getting through that they have a problem, its only taken them two weeks! 🙄

Well this is what I sent them.  Maybe the possibility of losing customers is a higher priority to them. :D

"I am using the legacy OVPN connections with port forwarding in a docker on my unRAID server.  The community seems to be having major issues with connections to endpoints that support port forwarding.  It seems like these issues have started happening in the past recent few weeks.  I would like to know if there is a plan to support OVPN connections on your next generation servers?  There is a section of your customer base that are using these connections that I fear you will loose if you do not address this concern."

Edited by Burizado
  • Like 6

For those that have not yet been able to connect rest assured you can, it took me many tries but I was finally able to connect to Spain my normal go to is Toronto comparing speeds its less than half with the Spain server but still way faster than just not using port forwarding. I hope this helps some of you who might be discouraged.

As some of you I still have 6 months left with PIA and have been them for years now but I will also look at alternatives if this is not taken care.

2 hours ago, Burizado said:

I was able to connect to Toronto once I turned off STRICT_PORT_FORWARD

Thanks for the suggestion. (for those that do not know where this is, it is under "EDIT", then change the STRICT_PORT_FORWARDING line to say "no" and your all set. I would restart all your relevant containers.

It is not an ideal solution, but at least I can now (after almost a week) get back on!

11 hours ago, BigDaddyNehi said:

Just submitted a support ticket to PIA.  Everyone put in a ticket and maybe we won't have to switch providers!

Yes agree just got a reply

Thank you for contacting PIA Support.

I am sorry to hear that you cannot connect to PIA's port-enabled Next-Generation server.

Our DevOps team is still on the process of updating the Port-Forwarding API to connect to the Next-Generation server.  Unfortunately, we don't have an ETA about this.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

• Like 1

PSA if you're using Privoxy:

My Deluge VPN container has been mis-behaving, potentially since the last update.  I started regularly receiving the "Maximum number of open connections reached" message when connecting to the Deluge.  This is always something that has happened for me from time to time, but usually took a couple of days of uptime. Since the last update, it started happening within an hour or so.

Netstat shows a very large number of connections from the internet to the Privoxy proxy port.

I have confirmed that it's possible to connect to Privoxy from the internet e.g. Privoxy is working as an open proxy.

Not sure if something has changed but I thought that I would share with you all.

It should easy enough to fix through the Firewall.

Edited by JDBall
39 minutes ago, JDBall said:

I have confirmed that it's possible to connect to Privoxy from the internet

only if you port forward on your router, or if your vpn allows you to, setup a port forward that points at privoxy port 8118 (not required and not recommended!).

39 minutes ago, JDBall said:

Privoxy is working as an open proxy.

privoxy has always been a proxy without authentication, this has been the state since day 1 of this image, if you decide to port forward to it then it's your lookout.

Edited by binhex
1 minute ago, JDBall said:

I've been running this container and config for several years but haven't had this problem before - strange.

perhaps the port scanning bots only just around to finding out about your open proxy :-), lesson learned is dont port forward to privoxy on your router 🙂

I mean that I had changed the container variable STRICT_PORT_FORWARDING to no which I thought had fixed the issue as I wasn't seeing any remote connections to Privoxy.  I've just tested from outside of my network and can stil connect.

My Firewall isn't port-forwarding to Privoxy - the inbound connections are coming over the VPN.

5 minutes ago, JDBall said:

Yes, using the Public IP Address assigned by my VPN provider as the Proxy IP Address, Port 8118, on my Laptop when tethered to my phone works.

if you set STRICT_PORT_FORWARDING to no then no port assignment will be made so its technically impossible for incoming connections to be established (over the vpn that is), and further more, even if port forwarding was enabled, pia doesnt allow you to set the port forward assignment so it will be random and will not be in the 8xxx range.

edit - i suspect your laptop is not using your tether, have you got wifi still enabled on your laptop?, if so it will connect internally and thus allow you to see the proxy.

Edited by binhex

A quick google around iPredator and i see no mention whatsoever of configuring or support of port forwarding, so i can only assume iPredator does not support it, thus whatever it is you are connecting to is NOT privoxy, try this:-

edit the container and set ENABLE_PRIVOXY to 'no' apply change, can you still connect to the proxy?, if so then its most likely you are connecting to the iPredator proxy server (assuming they run one).

Edited by binhex