[Support] binhex - DelugeVPN

Quick question. Is there a version of binhex-delugevpn that supports the next-gen PIA network that is not a "development version" of deluge i.e. matches the official release version (2.0.3?). 

One of my (quite niche) trackers does not support dev versions and as such I'm not able to use them. I'm currently on Deluge 2.0.4.dev38. 

Maybe the question should be what is the earliest release that supports next-gen PIA?

1 hour ago, gergtreble said:

Quick question. Is there a version of binhex-delugevpn that supports the next-gen PIA network that is not a "development version" of deluge i.e. matches the official release version (2.0.3?).

To the best of my knowledge, all releases of this docker container, for the last several months, have been based on Deluge v2.0.4.dev38.  This would include all builds implementing PIA 'nextgen'.

One question for Binhex to answer - what would happen if we went into the running container and used apt to install an alternative version of deluge?

Edited by PeterB
32 minutes ago, PeterB said:

To the best of my knowledge, all releases of this docker container, for the last several months, have been based on Deluge v2.0.4.dev38.  This would include all builds implementing PIA 'nextgen'.

Sadly, I think you are correct. I tried to downgrade to the last 2.0.3 tag in the repo and the VPN broke immediately. I guess any build with the next-gen config included would be a 'dev' release. 

Interested to hear what Binhex has to add though. 

4 hours ago, PeterB said:

One question for Binhex to answer - what would happen if we went into the running container and used apt to install an alternative version of deluge?

firstly happy new year's eve guys!. 

ok so apt wont get ya far, as this docker image base is arch, and arch repo currently references deluge dev builds, thus the versions released, however i do understand your pain of having a dev build and i will consider a look into it to see if i can produce a one off non dev build for your guys on private index sites, obviously no progress on that tonight as im currently enjoying my beer donations, thanks everyone!.

• Thanks 1

Does anyone else have any suggestions for my downloads not working? I've switched over to wireguard with no change in results. I haven't done qbittorrent because I don't quite understand what that does or how it might fix the issue. I see other people with this problem but can't seem to find a fix.

9 minutes ago, Vance said:

Does anyone else have any suggestions for my downloads not working? I've switched over to wireguard with no change in results. I haven't done qbittorrent because I don't quite understand what that does or how it might fix the issue. I see other people with this problem but can't seem to find a fix.

Post your docker run command (remove user/pw) and a screenshot of the download settings in deluge.

8 minutes ago, Vance said:

Oops! Sorry about that. Here are all the preferences from inside Deluge.

I only needed the downloads section, but yeah your Download to path is incorrect. Change it to /data/Downloads/Incomplete and you should be good. Change the "move completed" path too. Restart the container after. And linux is case sensetive so be sure to use Downloads and not downloads. Since you have mapped /data to /mnt/user/Downloads.

Sorry, it should be: /data/Incomplete and /data/Complete

Edited by strike
  • Like 1
On 12/29/2020 at 7:12 AM, jebusfreek666 said:

I can no longer access my webui, but thankfully I know exactly what I did to screw it up. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to undo it. I was following instructions from someone else about getting a different app to work with deluge, and they suggested that I click the box and enable SSL. I did not fill in the key or the cert boxes. I then restarted deluge. And now I can no longer pull up the webui, so I can't unclick the damn box. How do I go about fixing this?

Sorry to bump, but I think I got buried. Anyone know how to fix this?

1 hour ago, wgstarks said:

I’m not positive but it looks like you'll need to edit web.conf.

Change 

“https”: true,

to 

“https”: false,

As I said, I’m not 100% sure about this. Probably a good idea to make a backup copy of the file before you edit just in case.

To do this, I am assuming I need to use an editor like notepad++ right? Working on a chromebook at the moment, so if that is the case I will have to wait until I have access to my windows laptop. 

41 minutes ago, jebusfreek666 said:

To do this, I am assuming I need to use an editor like notepad++ right? Working on a chromebook at the moment, so if that is the case I will have to wait until I have access to my windows laptop. 

I don’t know much about windows but that’s the usual recommendation. You could also use mc or some other online editor.

On 12/27/2020 at 3:30 PM, Nimrad said:

I just tried to switch to using Wireguard from my VPN Provider. I made a .conf file that works fine when I test it from my laptop and I dropped it in the wireguard folder. Deluge doesn't want to use it though, it just wont start. It renamed the file to wg0.conf. Logs:

2020-12-27 15:26:34.989348 [info] System information Linux 46f19ca4e7a6 5.10.1-Unraid #1 SMP Thu Dec 17 11:41:39 PST 2020 x86_64 GNU/Linux
2020-12-27 15:26:35.018259 [info] OS_ARCH defined as 'x86-64'
2020-12-27 15:26:35.046192 [info] PUID defined as '99'
2020-12-27 15:26:35.091854 [info] PGID defined as '100'
2020-12-27 15:26:35.141391 [info] UMASK defined as '000'
2020-12-27 15:26:35.162540 [info] Permissions already set for volume mappings
2020-12-27 15:26:35.207769 [info] Deleting files in /tmp (non recursive)...
2020-12-27 15:26:35.234431 [info] VPN_ENABLED defined as 'yes'
2020-12-27 15:26:35.258965 [info] VPN_CLIENT defined as 'wireguard'
2020-12-27 15:26:35.285307 [info] VPN_PROV defined as 'custom'
2020-12-27 15:26:35.321662 [info] WireGuard config file (conf extension) is located at /config/wireguard/wg0.conf
2020-12-27 15:26:35.357376 [crit] VPN configuration file /config/wireguard/wg0.conf does not contain 'Endpoint' line, showing contents of file before exit...

Nobody knows what this last error means? Are there any other logs I could explore to troubleshoot this? As mentioned the config file works fine in windows.

17 hours ago, binhex said:

firstly happy new year's eve guys!. 

ok so apt wont get ya far, as this docker image base is arch, and arch repo currently references deluge dev builds, thus the versions released, however i do understand your pain of having a dev build and i will consider a look into it to see if i can produce a one off non dev build for your guys on private index sites, obviously no progress on that tonight as im currently enjoying my beer donations, thanks everyone!.

Thanks Binhex! I'd really appreciate that. Just sent you a beer from the UK. Happy new year! 

• Like 1
Nobody knows what this last error means? Are there any other logs I could explore to troubleshoot this? As mentioned the config file works fine in windows.

Can you post your wg0.conf file (but redact any sensitive info)?
Which VPN provider are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On 1/2/2021 at 8:29 AM, Jorgen said:

Can you post your wg0.conf file (but redact any sensitive info)?
Which VPN provider are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Nimrad this is what the wg0.conf file looks like when using PIA. I assume it needs to have the same info when using other VPN providers as well.

The error in you log specifically states that the Endpoint line is missing from your .conf file, but I don't know what it needs to be set to for your provider/endpoint.

[Interface]
Address = 10.5.218.196
PrivateKey = <redacted>
PostUp = '/root/wireguardup.sh'
PostDown = '/root/wireguarddown.sh'

[Peer]
PublicKey = <redacted>
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0
Endpoint = au-sydney.privacy.network:1337

22 hours ago, Jorgen said:

@Nimrad this is what the wg0.conf file looks like when using PIA. I assume it needs to have the same info when using other VPN providers as well.

The error in you log specifically states that the Endpoint line is missing from your .conf file, but I don't know what it needs to be set to for your provider/endpoint.

[Interface]
Address = 10.5.218.196
PrivateKey = <redacted>

[Peer]
PublicKey = <redacted>
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0
Endpoint = au-sydney.privacy.network:1337

Mine looks similar:

[Interface]
PrivateKey = fffff
Address = 10.34.0.134/16
DNS = 10.35.53.1

[Peer]
PublicKey = fffff
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0,::/0
Endpoint = pvdata.host:3389

First of all thanks binhex for such a good docker. 

About my problem, I've started using a VPN (Surfshark to be exact) for the last couple of weeks. In the first week I didn't seem to have any problem regarding the connection and especially the speed of the downloads. But for the last 2 weeks or so whenever I enable VPN my download speeds fall down to 30-40 Kib/s where it should be around 3 Mib/s. If I disable the VPN and restart the docker the speed increases back to normal. If then I re-enable VPN speeds decrease once again. I also speedtested same endpoints with same VPN provider on my windows computer and the speed results seems fine. I suppose there is something wrong in my prefences and/or config files. Can anyone offer any help. If any info is needed for me to share please let me know. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Nimrad said:

Mine looks similar:

[Interface]
PrivateKey = fffff
Address = 10.34.0.134/16
DNS = 10.35.53.1

[Peer]
PublicKey = fffff
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0,::/0

Ok, I'm really guessing here, @binhex will need to chime in with the real answer, but I think you need to:

1. Remove the ipv6 reference

2. Remove the DNS entry (maybe, it might also be ignored already. Either way it would be better to move it to the DNS settings of the docker)

3. Add the wireguardup and down scripts

3. Ensure the endpoint address is correct. "pvdata.host" does not resolve to a public IP for me and I'm pretty sure it needs to for wireguard to be able to connect to the endpoint and the tunnel to be established.

4. Try removing the /16 postfix from the Address line

So apart from #3, try the below as wg0.conf. Although I'm pretty sure it will fail still because of #3.

[Interface]
PrivateKey = fffff
Address = 10.34.0.134

[Peer]
PublicKey = fffff
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0