binhex

[Support] binhex - DelugeVPN

4752 posts in this topic Last Reply

Linksys Velop mesh network.

Going to see if I have any success in modem & router mode. 

Posted (edited)

One thing to try would be downloading a big binary file from a well hosted location, like an Ubuntu ISO (not torrent).

This one is hosted at Oxford uni, so should be pretty fast http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/sites/releases.ubuntu.com/releases/bionic/ubuntu-18.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso

I would wget it from inside Binhex's container and check the speed of the PIA tunnel against something that _should_ blast on Virgin Media

You'll need to add wget first:

pacman -S wget

then wget http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/sites/releases.ubuntu.com/releases/bionic/ubuntu-18.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso

(from inside the container's shell)

----

I just tried it and installing wget failed.. You could use a browser and the Privoxy function of the container, or the PIA application on your desktop etc to do the same test.

Edited by jmbrnt

1 hour ago, jmbrnt said:

would wget it from inside Binhex's container and check the speed of the PIA tunnel against something that _should_ blast on Virgin Media

i dont think this is going to get you anywhere, its not slow due to the fact that the user is using a torrent client (in fact the isp will not have a clue as to what is going on in the vpn tunnel), its more that virgin media super hub 3 chokes on encrypted traffic and thus the slow speeds. i would suspect if you were to do use wget then the speeds would be exactly the same, hitting a limit of somewhere around 1MB/s. there have been speculation that VM is throttling vpn traffic but i dont know of anybody who has proved this without doubt.

Posted (edited)

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking, if the performance of a raw HTTP download is just as crappy as the torrent, then the problem is narrowed down to the VPN, or as you say, the hub. L2TP tunnel to AA.net.uk for a tenner a month? :)

Edited by jmbrnt

Could it be the type of VPN that VM is slow with? 

Using the OS X PIA app with killswitch on and IP checked to make sure, I DL'ed that file above at 5MB/s using the PIA client. Changed to Czech Republic and it was MUCH faster than France. 

Not sure if the app would be using OpenVPN or not..

Changed the Deluge VPN to Czech republic and restarted Deluge, just as slow.

Or is it a port issue? When you change locations with PIA you get a new forwarded port. Do you put this in the WebGUI Deluge preferences incoming and outgoing ports or in the Docker settings?

Also couldn't get wget to work:

Total Download Size:   0.61 MiB

Total Installed Size:  2.81 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y

:: Retrieving packages...

error: failed retrieving file 'wget-1.20.1-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.pseudoform.org : The requested URL returned error: 404

error: failed retrieving file 'wget-1.20.1-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.pseudoform.org : The requested URL returned error: 404

error: failed retrieving file 'wget-1.20.1-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.dynamict.se : The requested URL returned error: 404

error: failed retrieving file 'wget-1.20.1-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from arch.mirror.far.fi : Protocol "rsync" not supported or disabled in libcurl

error: failed retrieving file 'wget-1.20.1-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.pseudoform.org : Protocol "rsync" not supported or disabled in libcurl

warning: failed to retrieve some files

error: failed to commit transaction (download library error)

Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Chamzamzoo said:

Could it be the type of VPN that VM is slow with? 

Using the OS X PIA app with killswitch on and IP checked to make sure, I DL'ed that file above at 5MB/s using the PIA client. Changed to Czech Republic and it was MUCH faster than France. 

Not sure if the app would be using OpenVPN or not..

Changed the Deluge VPN to Czech republic and restarted Deluge, just as slow.

Or is it a port issue? When you change locations with PIA you get a new forwarded port. Do you put this in the WebGUI Deluge preferences incoming and outgoing ports or in the Docker settings?

Also couldn't get wget to work:

Yeah sorry, as I said that didn't work. You can probably spend time to get wget working in the container - but it might not be worth it. It ~might~ be a different type of encryption being used in the application versis the .ovpn file that deluge container is using - binhex has a help thread where he mentions selecting a different algorithm if it's supported by the vpn endpoint, but I've not got any experience with that.

When you change location (or even reload the container) you will get a new port and likely a new IP. Binhex is very clever and his container automatically negotiates and configures this port inside deluge for you (as long as you're using PIA) - so you don't need to touch it.

Edited by jmbrnt

I see, that certainly is clever :)

Opening the ovpn files for the app and the one I uploaded to app-data, they are both using aes-128-cbc and other the settings are the same.

What do you do with the incoming and outgoing port settings in Deluge, they need a value? Set it to random? or is it irrelevant whatever you put in it?

The port settings in the delugevpn container are automatically set by binhex's code (check supervisord log to see the magic happening) - you don't need to set them. Incoming port is the important one from a port forwarding perspective, you're likely to see this change when you restart the container. Outgoing doesn't matter so much

(for some reason mine has just jumped from seeding around 0.1Kbit/s to 250Kbit/s so I have no idea what's going on :D

Posted (edited)

I see the incoming port in the Web gui for Deluge changes itself after whatever I set it to on a restart of deluge, must be that.

Tried airVPN and that's banging away at 9MB/s now, guess it could be the combination of PIA and Virgin. 

Edited by Chamzamzoo

Posted (edited)

Since the latest (today) update, privoxy is failing to start. Here is the relevant log section:

[info] All checks complete, starting Privoxy...
2019-05-01T21:53:29.956623500Z 
2019-05-01 21:53:29,957 DEBG 'privoxy-script' stderr output:
2019-05-01 21:53:29.957 7f0eef6eb140 Info: Privoxy version 3.0.28
2019-05-01 21:53:29.957 7f0eef6eb140 Info: Program name: /usr/bin/privoxy
2019-05-01T21:53:29.957904700Z 
2019-05-01 21:53:30,007 DEBG 'privoxy-script' stderr output:
2019-05-01 21:53:30.006 7f0eef6eb140 Fatal error: can't bind to 172.17.0.4 :8118: The hostname is not resolvable
2019-05-01T21:53:30.007208000Z 
2019-05-01 21:53:30,007 DEBG fd 8 closed, stopped monitoring <POutputDispatcher at 139932369015472 for <Subprocess at 139932368914976 with name privoxy-script in state RUNNING> (stdout)>
2019-05-01 21:53:30,007 DEBG fd 10 closed, stopped monitoring <POutputDispatcher at 139932368390128 for <Subprocess at 139932368914976 with name privoxy-script in state RUNNING> (stderr)>
2019-05-01 21:53:30,008 INFO exited: privoxy-script (exit status 1; not expected)
2019-05-01 21:53:30,008 DEBG received SIGCHLD indicating a child quit
2019-05-01 21:53:30,231 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[info] Successfully retrieved external IP address 172.98.67.33

No changes in the startup or otherwise -- it was working fine last night after the latest Docker update, right up until watchtower updated to the latest 2 hour old version.

Rolling back to the build from 3 months ago resolved the problem and restored network connection.

Edited by kae
rollback information

I'm having the same exact issue as @kae since updating this evening. 

2019-05-01 22:01:36.491 147783352140 Fatal error: can't bind to 172.17.0.2 :8118: The hostname is not resolvable

I'm seeing the same issue with the proxy after updating:

2019-05-02 06:20:11.702 7fd4b2246140 Fatal error: can't bind to 172.17.0.2 :8118: The hostname is not resolvable

Yup, I'm getting the same 'hostname is not resolvable' error as of today too. Think I might stop Ouroboros from watching delugevpn in future! Afterall, if it ain't broke...

looking into it, for now stop the container then delete the folder /config/privoxy then start the container again, that should get you working for now.

47 minutes ago, binhex said:

looking into it, for now stop the container then delete the folder /config/privoxy then start the container again, that should get you working for now.

Didn't work for me. Sonarr immediately gives me the following Error Message.

"Proxy Health Check failed: Error getting response stream (ReadDoneAsync2): ReceiveFailure: 'http://services.sonarr.tv/v1/ping'"

28 minutes ago, ceb0610 said:

"Proxy Health Check failed: Error getting response stream (ReadDoneAsync2): ReceiveFailure: 'http://services.sonarr.tv/v1/ping'"

Same thing for me. I renamed the /config/privoxy folder and restarted container. It created a new folder, but still didn't fix the issue.

34 minutes ago, ceb0610 said:

Same here.

2 hours ago, binhex said:

Seeing the same issue as everyone else. This solution did not solve the problem.

new image built please pull down and see if this resolves the privoxy issue.

23 minutes ago, binhex said:

Worked. Thanks for the speedy rebuild.

1 hour ago, binhex said:

Thank you Bin!  Looks like plenty of confirmation of resolution already on the thread but I will also pull down and test this evening.