[Support] binhex - Deluge

Hello Mr. Hex,

I have installed and been using Deluge for a while now, and it seems that my upload speed never gets above 1 or 2KiB/s regardless of network settings I adjust. based on some other forum research moving to libtorrent 1.0.9.0 might help. I was hoping for advice or best practice to achieve this, and or any other advice on the topic you or others may have.

Hi BinHex, 1st thanks for the great plugin.

I have the same issue as the gentleman above. I get terrible upload speeds, a few KB/s. My Unraid box downloads at full speed on the console. If I plug the same network cable in a dedicated server with Deluge, speeds are up to my broadband limits, so I guess the issue is either with docker or deluge in your container. Has anybody else seen this problem? I have re-installed without luck.

Thanks in advance

Doh big edit in assuming we are talking about no VPN in the mix right, OK in that case one thing I did have to do is untick rate limit IP overhead, this improved DL and UL speeds for me

if it the VPN provider then it is specific to the setup in the docker because when I use Deluge with the same VPN provider on a dedicated box, I get full speeds. So somehow its the docker environment or the openvpn config in the docker. where should I start looking?

Can somebody clarify the port config required for this docker.

At the moment I only have one port open for the web interface and one (58946) for the what I assume is transfers as it is open both TCP and UDP.

Is that enough to get multiple connections in and out? Do I then need to map specify this port in the deluge preferences as my port of both incoming and outgoing connections?

Many thanks

Can somebody clarify the port config required for this docker.

At the moment I only have one port open for the web interface and one (58946) for the what I assume is transfers as it is open both TCP and UDP.

Is that enough to get multiple connections in and out? Do I then need to map specify this port in the deluge preferences as my port of both incoming and outgoing connections?

Many thanks

ok so as far as outgoing ports is concerned you need to define this if you want to restrict it, personally i wouldnt be too concerned with outgoing, its incoming you want to nail, for this you would need to setup port forwarding for your specified incoming port, additionally if you want to access the webui over the internet then you will need to port forward either the http port or the https port.

Strangely my download is going at full speed, its the incoming traffic that is terribly slow, and I need to make it work as seeding is key for me.

I don't need to open the web port to the outside and I believe I don't need port forwarding as my router supports upnp and I have never manually open ports on the router before. Do you mean port forwarding of the docker? Doesn't the docker retire more than 1 port for the traffic?

Strangely my download is going at full speed, its the incoming traffic that is terribly slow, and I need to make it work as seeding is key for me.

I don't need to open the web port to the outside and I believe I don't need port forwarding as my router supports upnp and I have never manually open ports on the router before. Do you mean port forwarding of the docker? Doesn't the docker retire more than 1 port for the traffic?

i would advise against relaying on upnp, not all apps are good at doing this, and you may end up with lots of incoming ports open as the app wont always remove the port from your router config, decreasing your security. i would advise manually setting the incoming port in deluge and then adding the port in your router config, it shouldnt be too hard to do and is a once only operation, i think you will find this fixes your issue.

Ok thanks. So which port do I forward, in the standard install I have 58845 TCP and 58945 UDP

Also, which port (of those two) do I use in the Deluge config for incoming and outgoing?

ok so as an example, ive attached my deluge preferences at this time, if you look at the picture then you will see ive unticked use random ports (incoming section) and set my port from 53417 to 53417, so its a single incoming port, THIS is the port you need to define on your router, go for both TCP and UDP. For the outgoing port just leave the "use random ports" option ticked, you do NOT need to define this on the router, unless you have locked down outgoing ports (highly unlikely).

just to be clear, this is an example, you can use any port you want, the default port is 58846, so you can use that.

Screen_Shot_2016-07-12_at_10_42_05.png.6fde42c4c2c6769ab615c6c49dfc22ca.png

Understood, tx. So you unselect upnp and NT PMP? What about the other network extras?

I am confused about those outgoing ports, how will they ever work if they are not forwarded in the router?

To be clear, I have very good download speeds, it is the seeding that does not work properly. I can see lots of peers, I get the odd connection for a few seconds getting a few KB's and then they vanish

Understood, tx. So you unselect upnp and NT PMP? What about the other network extras?

I am confused about those outgoing ports, how will they ever work if they are not forwarded in the router?

To be clear, I have very good download speeds, it is the seeding that does not work properly. I can see lots of peers, I get the odd connection for a few seconds getting a few KB's and then they vanish

leave all extras enabled, all outgoing ports are open on a router normally (can be restricted but its not general practise for a home user), port forwarding is normally only necessary for incoming ports, you dont need to worry about outgoing, the fact you have good download speeds proves you already have outgoing connections working.

Its mapped from 58846 in container to 58845 in the host so I believe it is right, no? (see my UNRAID docker setup in screenshot)

ok that should work in that case, have you tried restarting deluge after setting all this up?, what are you using as an indicator that port forwarding isnt working?

To be honest I don know what it the problem, not convinced it is port forwarding as I do get the odd connection.

I have a server next to my UNRAID NAS that is running a transmission server and that one runs full speed on upload, so I know seeding should be working on the current torrents but somehow Deluge/Docker is not.

To be honest I don know what it the problem, not convinced it is port forwarding as I do get the odd connection.

I have a server next to my UNRAID NAS that is running a transmission server and that one runs full speed on upload, so I know seeding should be working on the current torrents but somehow Deluge/Docker is not.

ok so transmission is running but you havent defined any incoming ports for it on your router?.

i wonder if deluge is communicating with the tracker and/or clients and specifying port 58846, as this is what its set to use (obviously not aware of the docker port mapping) and this is what is causing the issue, can you set the incoming port on your router also to 58846 and redefine the port on the host side for the container to use 58846 and give that a whirl

ok so transmission is running but you havent defined any incoming ports for it on your router?.

Correct, it must be working properly with UPNP because both UP and DOWN speeds are saturating my broadband

i wonder if deluge is communicating with the tracker and/or clients and specifying port 58846, as this is what its set to use (obviously not aware of the docker port mapping) and this is what is causing the issue, can you set the incoming port on your router also to 58846 and redefine the port on the host side for the container to use 58846 and give that a whirl

ok, give the above a go, im pretty sure the issue your seeing is related to port forwarding.

• 1 month later...

I must be missing something. I have the docker installed and running, the config looks to be fine, but the port for the webgui does not seem to be open. Not port forwarding, just to access it locally. Running netstat on unraid cli does not show the default 8112 to be open. Is there something else that I need to do?

Can you post a screenshot after you filled in the paths to your config and data?
  • 3 weeks later...

I would like to put the appdata on the unraid flash disk. I was doing that with the deprecated deluged plugin, reason behind it not to keep a drive spinning for all the tiny reads/writes to the configuration folder that deluge periodically does. I don't have a cache drive and don't want to have one. I tried setting as /config the path /boot/deluge_appdata but the container exits with the following error message. I guess the permissions under /boot cannot be changed? Is there any workaround? Thanks

usermod: no changes

[info] Env var PUID defined as 99

[info] Env var PGID defined as 100

[info] Setting permissions recursively on /config and /data...

chown: changing ownership of '/config': Operation not permitted

• 1 month later...

Hi there, hope someone can help.  The latest update of this Docker got my Deluge client blocked from a private tracker due to it reporting its version as 1.3.13 dev0.  A quick google brought up a bug that might be related: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/50152

Is there any way that the version can be changed to not have the dev bit in it? Alternatively, can anyone let me know how to downgrade this back to the last version?  I've had a look around the forums for how to do that but I'm not having any luck.  Thanks in advance!

Hi there, hope someone can help.  The latest update of this Docker got my Deluge client blocked from a private tracker due to it reporting its version as 1.3.13 dev0.  A quick google brought up a bug that might be related: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/50152

Is there any way that the version can be changed to not have the dev bit in it? Alternatively, can anyone let me know how to downgrade this back to the last version?  I've had a look around the forums for how to do that but I'm not having any luck.  Thanks in advance!

This is now fixed in the latest image, please pull it down and give it a go, looks like it was a regression bug when i upgraded the base and consolidated build scripts.