[Support] binhex - SABnzbdVPN

1 hour ago, charlieny100 said:

I noticed when using the proxy my local IP can be seen by some websites. When I go to whatismyip.com it shows the ip of VPN. When I go to speediest.net it shows the IP of my ISP. Isn't that a problem?

Yes. You have a problem with your browser configuration. Are you sure you specified to use the proxy for all protocols?

I just verified using firefox on mint, both whatismyip.com and speedtest.net show the VPN endpoint address.

On 8/31/2018 at 4:37 AM, newoski said:

Suddenly getting lots of errors connecting:

WARNING 2 hours ago Too many connections to server news.newsgroup.ninja
WARNING 3 hours ago Server news.newsgroup.ninja will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 3 hours ago Cannot connect to server news.newsgroup.ninja [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 3 hours ago Server ssl-eu.astraweb.com will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 3 hours ago Cannot connect to server ssl-eu.astraweb.com [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 3 hours ago Cannot connect to server news.newsgroup.ninja [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 3 hours ago Cannot connect to server ssl-eu.astraweb.com [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 7 hours ago Server news.newsgroup.ninja will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 7 hours ago Cannot connect to server news.newsgroup.ninja [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 7 hours ago Server ssl-eu.astraweb.com will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 7 hours ago Cannot connect to server ssl-eu.astraweb.com [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 8 hours ago Too many connections to server news.newsgroup.ninja

What kind of logging/info would be helpful to troubleshoot? I'm on the latest stable Unraid, latest SABnzbdvpn update

I'm having this same issue. Just starting to explore the SAB logs (/config/logs/) but haven't seen anything that points to an issue with SAB so I suspect its an issue with the VPN.

By chance, did you follow SpaceInvaderOne's tutorial for getting Let'sEncrypt/NGINX working with this? If so I wonder if having SAB, etc. on another network causes some issues with the VPN.

No, I did not. I haven't seen the issue after rebuilding the Docker from scratch. Still unclear on causality. My rtorrent from binhex also broke at the same time, but haven't been able to fix that one

I'm having this same issue. Just starting to explore the SAB logs (/config/logs/) but haven't seen anything that points to an issue with SAB so I suspect its an issue with the VPN.

By chance, did you follow SpaceInvaderOne's tutorial for getting Let'sEncrypt/NGINX working with this? If so I wonder if having SAB, etc. on another network causes some issues with the VPN.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Yes. You have a problem with your browser configuration. Are you sure you specified to use the proxy for all protocols?

I just verified using firefox on mint, both whatismyip.com and speedtest.net show the VPN endpoint address.

I had to add http for the proxy so both https and http point to my unraid server. So that covers my browsers. If I were to use a torrent client (which I don't) I'd have to configure it to use the proxy too, correct?

13 minutes ago, charlieny100 said:

I had to add http for the proxy so both https and http point to my unraid server. So that covers my browsers. If I were to use a torrent client (which I don't) I'd have to configure it to use the proxy too, correct?

I'm not quite sure what you are saying. Can you screenshot the browser's configuration where you entered the proxy info?

There is no way I know of to use privoxy to tunnel torrent traffic. It's purely for browser (or any application that reads web pages) use AFAIK.

1 hour ago, newoski said:

No, I did not. I haven't seen the issue after rebuilding the Docker from scratch. Still unclear on causality. My rtorrent from binhex also broke at the same time, but haven't been able to fix that one

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Same problem here. 

sab-warnings.PNG

56 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

I'm not quite sure what you are saying. Can you screenshot the browser's configuration where you entered the proxy info?

There is no way I know of to use privoxy to tunnel torrent traffic. It's purely for browser (or any application that reads web pages) use AFAIK.

I attached a screenshot from my Mint network setup.

Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 1.24.05 PM.png

On 8/31/2018 at 5:37 AM, newoski said:

Suddenly getting lots of errors connecting:

WARNING 7 hours ago Server news.newsgroup.ninja will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 7 hours ago Cannot connect to server news.newsgroup.ninja [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 7 hours ago Server ssl-eu.astraweb.com will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 7 hours ago Cannot connect to server ssl-eu.astraweb.com [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 8 hours ago Too many connections to server news.newsgroup.ninja

What kind of logging/info would be helpful to troubleshoot? I'm on the latest stable Unraid, latest SABnzbdvpn update

Too many connections are because the client is retrying before the server realizes that the old connections are dead.  Instead of using news.newsgroup.ninja, try using the IP that it resolves to.  My guess is that we are all getting timeouts because there is a bug in SABNZBDVPN.  The timeouts are causing the retries which are causing the too many connections.

i dont currently have a usenet subscription or block account so i cant test, but my first thought would be that certain/most larger usenet providers are now beginning to block VPN ip address ranges, i know Astraweb already have a policy of no proxy connections due to a history of '...too many abuse cases originate from these servers.'.

so your options are, try a different usenet provider or try switching vpn endpoint, you might get lucky and connect to an endpoint that the usenet provider hasn't yet blocked.

I did open a ticket with USENETSERVER and they couldn't find anything wrong and they didn't hint at blocking anything.  I also opened a ticket with PIA and they didn't see anything wrong.  

If they were blocking IP ranges, nothing would download.  The problem is, things do eventually successfully download with a lot of interruptions.

11 minutes ago, slider162 said:

I did open a ticket with USENETSERVER and they couldn't find anything wrong and they didn't hint at blocking anything.  I also opened a ticket with PIA and they didn't see anything wrong.  

If they were blocking IP ranges, nothing would download.  The problem is, things do eventually successfully download with a lot of interruptions.

Here has been my experience. I was a happy usenetserver customer for years using Windows. I switched to Ubuntu/docker and I could not get it to work with NZBGet and UNS via SSL. I tried different machines, different versions of Ubuntu - same results. I discovered Unraid and started using SAB/VPN and other than it being a little slower, it is flawless. The ticket I opened with UNS didn't get resolved but I found something that works. Not a solution, just a "I feel your pain" post.

3 minutes ago, charlieny100 said:

Here has been my experience. I was a happy usenetserver customer for years using Windows. I switched to Ubuntu/docker and I could not get it to work with NZBGet and UNS via SSL. I tried different machines, different versions of Ubuntu - same results. I discovered Unraid and started using SAB/VPN and other than it being a little slower, it is flawless. The ticket I opened with UNS didn't get resolved but I found something that works. Not a solution, just a "I feel your pain" post.

I'm struggling with this because it has been working flawlessly for the last 18 months, since I started using unRAID/Docker.  Only in the last month or so did I notice problems.  I don't know exactly when it started because I usually don't pay any attention to it.  Right now I have VPN turned off using SSL and that is how I will leave it until something changes.

18 minutes ago, slider162 said:

ok thats good to know, there is another possibility that your usenet provider is getting confused with number of connections due to the fact that potentially multiple users will be coming in on the same ip (if vpn provider is using NAT), have you tried using different vpn endpoints?, whilst this doesn't rule out the possibility that another user is connecting to the same endpoint as you (and thus the same IP address potentially) it might be interesting to see if things improve.

7 minutes ago, binhex said:

ok thats good to know, there is another possibility that your usenet provider is getting confused with number of connections due to the fact that potentially multiple users will be coming in on the same ip (if vpn provider is using NAT), have you tried using different vpn endpoints?, whilst this doesn't rule out the possibility that another user is connecting to the same endpoint as you (and thus the same IP address potentially) it might be interesting to see if things improve.

As far as PIA VPN, I tried US East, Chicago, and US Midwest and they all timed out.  As far as USENETSERVER, I tried NEWS.USENETSERVER.COM and news-us.usenetserver.com.  All experienced the same behavior.  They would download a few MB, timeout, and then start again.  Thanks.

5 minutes ago, slider162 said:

As far as PIA VPN, I tried US East, Chicago, and US Midwest and they all timed out.  As far as USENETSERVER, I tried NEWS.USENETSERVER.COM and news-us.usenetserver.com.  All experienced the same behavior.  They would download a few MB, timeout, and then start again.  Thanks.

I can also add that pia servers nl, NYC and Florida have the same issue. I also use tweaknews at my current Usenet service after switching from xsnews and having the same issue there. 

4 minutes ago, slider162 said:

ok well unless somebody wants to either let me use their usenet provider details to try and debug this or alternatively donate (see first post) some money for me to signup to a usenet provider for a month (6 GBP should cover it) then im going to be unable to go any further at present.

FYI i have received an anonymous donation (thanks again), so i will be doing some further testing tonight. 

Please can somebody try and give me a step by step guide on how i can reproduce the timeouts, or at least give me some indication as to how long i will have to wait to see the issue if it's intermittent.

Edited by binhex
  • Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, binhex said:

FYI i have received an anonymous donation (thanks again), so i will be doing some further testing tonight. 

Please can somebody try and give me a step by step guide on how i can reproduce the timeouts, or at least give me some indication as to how long i will have to wait to see the issue if it's intermittent.

It is instant.  Install Docker Container > Enter VPN credentials > Configure SABNZBDVPN Download Directories > Send a file > Monitor Download

Set VPN_ENABLED = yes or no and compare the results.

I use Sonarr and Radarr to send but any download should present these timeouts once SABNZBDVPN gets the job.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, slider162 said:

It is instant.  Install Docker Container > Enter VPN credentials > Configure SABNZBDVPN Download Directories > Send a file > Monitor Download

Set VPN_ENABLED = yes or no and compare the results.

I use Sonarr and Radarr to send but any download should present these timeouts once SABNZBDVPN gets the job.

In that case im currently unable to reproduce the problem, details as follows:-

Usenet provider:- Extreme Usenet (http://www.extremeusenet.nl/en/)

VPN provider:- PIA (https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/)

VPN endpoint:- CA Vancouver (ca-vancouver.privateinternetaccess.com port 1198 protocol UDP)

SABnzbdVPN:- Latest Docker release, currently this is SABnzbd v2.3.5

I have successfully downloaded a 17GB rar'd nzb with no issues, no errors were shown in the /config/logs/sabnzbd.error.log file and it unpacked fine, downloads speeds also seemed very acceptable, being close to maxing my line out.

So i guess it could be any/all of the following at play:-

- ISP throttling of VPN traffic - i have seen and heard of this, i know ISP Virgin in the UK does this.

- Usenet provider - As mentioned previously the provider maybe incorrectly identifying multiple connections from the same IP (due to VPN) as being from the same client, thus the too many connections.

- VPN provider - Possible connectivity issues will of course cause a drop in the vpn tunnel and thus all connections to the usenet provider, a quick re connection (which will happen as ive coded it to re-establish tunnel if it drops) could then result in existing connections still being present and thus the issue regards too many connections until they drop.

disclaimer - all of the above are maybe's, i currently have no proof of any of the above causing the issue.

Hello, 

Trying to setup sabnzbdvpn on synology. I seem to be stuck and can not access the webui within local network if enabled. Works fine is disabled. Ive seen this brought up on the delugevpn thread a couple times and there was talk of fixing it but then the people reporting the issue seem to have dropped off. 

Any assistance would be appreciated!

pertinent debug info:

2018-09-12 20:49:38.466033 [info] NAME_SERVERS defined as '209.222.18.222,209.222.18.218'

2018-09-12 20:49:39,795 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
random.c:102: fatal error: RUNTIME_CHECK(ret >= 0) failed

2018-09-12 20:49:39,796 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[crit] ca-toronto.privateinternetaccess.com cannot be resolved, possible DNS issues

Edited by madpuma13