[Support] binhex - SABnzbdVPN

27 minutes ago, binhex said:

i would suspect you aren't running the container as "privileged", not sure why you've changed that (its set to run as priv by default), but this docker container MUST run elevated.

Bingo, I must have turned it off when I was trying to figure out the problem (prior to adding the VPN files). Thanks for your swift response. Great dockers!

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to install this and and cant get it to start. I went to the appdata directory and the folder was completely empty after installing. it also says the port mappings are on ip 0.0.0.0. I think something has gone wrong during install but im not sure what would cause such a catastrophic failure. I tried installing multiple times and it still happens. I can get the non VPN  version to work and DulugeVPN to work.

When I try to install it I get this error 

/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint binhex-sabnzbdvpn (95f4b2ebf300346a783e7093a43edb2045738d00528eae4d5e120f973493380a): Bind for 0.0.0.0:8118 failed: port is already allocated.

Edit: NVM I just changed the privoxy port and it worked fine.

Edited by Runtime24
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi - I'm trying to work out the best security approach for unRaid downloads. I use Binhex SABDNZB, Sonarr and Radarr with Usenet providers via SSL. Do the SSL connections mean I don't need a VPN? If a VPN is still recommended, what is the preferred approach? It seems that I could install the Arch Linux PIA application on my unRaid server, enable port forwarding and connect to a port fwding endpoint. Or I could install one of the Binhex VPN enabled apps, configure it for PIA port forwarding and privoxy and point Sonarr and Radarr to port 8118. Any recommendations gratefully received 

25 minutes ago, Steviewunda said:

Do the SSL connections mean I don't need a VPN?

that depends on your paranoia, most people are comfortable enough with SSL connections to their usenet provider, some people prefer the added layer of a vpn to obfuscate their source ip, so the choice is there, i guess the question is, do you trust your usenet provider not to supply logs showing your real ip address when ordered to.

59 minutes ago, Steviewunda said:

If a VPN is still recommended, what is the preferred approach

42 minutes ago, binhex said:

that depends on your paranoia, most people are comfortable enough with SSL connections to their usenet provider, some people prefer the added layer of a vpn to obfuscate their source ip, so the choice is there, i guess the question is, do you trust your usenet provider not to supply logs showing your real ip address when ordered to.

To further this discussion: a VPN will hide your connection to Usenet servers from your ISP. And in many countries (including here in the UK) ISPs HAVE to log every site/IP you visit, and HAVE to divulge that info when asked to by authorities. 

So, as long as VPNs remain legal (they're trying to make them illegal....), then your ISP can only say that you've been connecting to a VPN rather than a Usenet server.

27 minutes ago, jademonkee said:

(including here in the UK) ISPs HAVE to log every site/IP you visit

just to be clear on this, not all UK ISP's have to log, you have to have a certain number of customers before logging is mandatory, thus i dont use any of the larger (and frankly crapier) providers 🙂

edit - oh and did i mention no blocking of any sites too, win win.

Edited by binhex
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice...so if I install the Arch Linux PIA app on my unRaid server, all internet traffic will be via VPN? I'm trying to work out whether there is a preference for installing the PIA app, or for installing one of Binhex's VPN enabled apps and using privoxy. It seems simpler to just install the app and have all traffic routed via VPN, but are there any disadvantages? 

Edited by Steviewunda
Spelling

Ahh, So I just installed this docker, I followed the video guide from spaceinvader for deluge, but obviously did it the vpn part for sab since that seems to be the same.

Now my issue is that my download speed is literally cut in less then half. I have PIA and when I use the PIA app on my desktop connected to the same vpn server, my speed maxes out and is more than double then I get from unraid running this docker.

Does this have anything to do with the specific PIA server not supporting port forwarding? Spaceinvader mentioned something about it on deluge, but I didn't think it would be an issue for newsgroups?

2 minutes ago, maxse said:

Ahh, So I just installed this docker, I followed the video guide from spaceinvader for deluge, but obviously did it the vpn part for sab since that seems to be the same.

Now my issue is that my download speed is literally cut in less then half. I have PIA and when I use the PIA app on my desktop connected to the same vpn server, my speed maxes out and is more than double then I get from unraid running this docker.

Does this have anything to do with the specific PIA server not supporting port forwarding? Spaceinvader mentioned something about it on deluge, but I didn't think it would be an issue for newsgroups?

Can't use PIA it due to issues that I posted earlier on this thread.  Still not sure if it is PIA or this docker image.  Also opened a ticket with PIA.  Both sides say they don't see anything wrong.

Oh man, okay thank you. I thought I was doing something wrong and I'm a newbie at this.

It even goes down to 0 speed

I also have Pi-hole running and the DNS on my router has the Pi-Hole IP as its DNS, not sure if that's an issue also?

Edited by maxse

Something is definitely wrong. I connected to the same PIA  endpoint using a Mac and get full speed. Using the docker speed get cut in half and fluctuates like crazy to less then half...

could pi-hole be interfering? I placed the openvpn files from PIA like Spaceinvader one mentioned to the one endpoint I use...

when I used just the binhex sab docker I also have no issues and get full speed. 

Edited by maxse
1 hour ago, maxse said:

Something is definitely wrong. I connected to the same PIA  endpoint using a Mac and get full speed. Using the docker speed get cut in half and fluctuates like crazy to less then half...

could pi-hole be interfering? I placed the openvpn files from PIA like Spaceinvader one mentioned to the one endpoint I use...

when I used just the binhex sab docker I also have no issues and get full speed. 

I don't see how Pi-Hole would have anything to do with this.  You can use the VPN docker and just disable VPN from the config so you don't have to have both installed.

Hello,

After the most recent update the binhex-sabnzbdvpn docker container is not available. The logs do not seem to indicate anything wrong but I cannot pull up the UI and my services cannot connect to the application either. I have changed nothing other than updating the application. Here is the link to the pastebin for my logs on a fresh startup. Also attached is my docker config. 
Any help would be appreciated.

screencapture-c7b9c8291ae6512ed6e0904e830117762178c8f6-unraid-net-Dashboard-UpdateContainer-2018-12-26-12_17_50.jpg

EDIT: Tried recreating from scratch and am getting the same behavior.

EDIT2: Tried turning off privoxy and strict port forwarding. Also changed vpn servers. Still the same behavior

Edited by brianbrifri
Guys can someone help me out with please?
Like I mentioned, the same PIA app on a mac connected to all the same servers is maxing out my speed. But not when I'm using this docker on unraid
I've pulled down the latest image and enabled VPN and I have no issues accessing the application so I'm confident the image is fine so I really need to look at your log file in detail. First question for you is lan_network defined correctly? If you aren't sure then check my faq. I don't have much free time at the mo but will see if I can get some time tonight to help you out.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, M0zza said:

Hi Binhex,

I am in the same boat as brianbrifri. After latest update no UI and the other dockers cannot connect.

hope to hear good news soon. But seeing as it new years I am not expecting you to sort straight away.

have a good new year.

M0zz

Sad other people are having this issue too but also good to know that it's not just me. 

1 hour ago, brianbrifri said:

Sad other people are having this issue too but also good to know that it's not just me. 

i cant currently replicate tthe issue guys, latest image for me just works, with vpn enabled or not.

@brianbrifri and @M0zza please can you both follow the procedure linked below:-

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/44108-support-binhex-general/?do=findComment&comment=435831

On 1/1/2019 at 12:17 PM, binhex said:

i cant currently replicate tthe issue guys, latest image for me just works, with vpn enabled or not.

@brianbrifri and @M0zza please can you both follow the procedure linked below:-

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/44108-support-binhex-general/?do=findComment&comment=435831

@binhex Here is my supervisord.log file (I removed sensitive info and cert stuff only)

supervisord.log