[Support] binhex - SABnzbdVPN

I am running the Binhex Sabnzbd docker, and now want to install SabnzbVPN instead ( I am new to dockers!)

I have installed SabnzbdVPN, and it won't start, I understand as it is using the same port mappings as the Sabnzbd docker?

I have uninstallled and reinstalled SabnzbdVPN using different port mappings, but it still will not start?

Am I best to uninstall the Sabnzbd docker and just install the SabnzbdVPN docker instead?

Also am I correct in assuming that a openvpn folder will automatically be created in the config directory for me to copy my ovpn file into? The instructions on Github are not clear and mention DulugeVPN instead?

its same for deluge & sabnzbvpn download openvpn.zip from your vpn and copy 3 files over which is ca.rsa.2048(can be 4096).crt / crl.rsa.2048.pem and .ovpn file of your choice and put in a folder called openvpn inside your appdata config folder

hope this helps

also just to say i finally worked out my problem and remember my router software update before my problems so had a look in the rt2600 settings and it had disabled my default gateway dam updates !

sorry for wasting your time binhex ands thanks for the dockers

Edited by vapingzombie
spelling
  • 2 weeks later...

I get massive hanging when running this, I'm wondering what could be causing it. I notice it when I'm downloading via sabnzbd, mostly using my Windows VM (running on a dedicated NVMe SSD passed through). sabnzbd downloads to and extracts from cache drive. I have it pinned to CPUs my Windows VM doesn't use. Any ideas on flags that I could change to try to fix the issue?

Permission issues,

I just installed this container on my second unraid server EXACTLY the same as on my first one, but when I download a file SABnzbd unpacks the folder with permission 777 but the file within get a 666 permission and this prevents radarr to process the file. Any ideas what I can do? And yes I have set the "Permissions for completed downloads" to 777.

Tnks! 

Permission issues,

I just installed this container on my second unraid server EXACTLY the same as on my first one, but when I download a file SABnzbd unpacks the folder with permission 777 but the file within get a 666 permission and this prevents radarr to process the file. Any ideas what I can do? And yes I have set the "Permissions for completed downloads" to 777.
Tnks! 
File permissions will be at best 666 for new files, this is a Linux restriction, what makes you think you need execute permission? surely read and write should suffice.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Something weird has happened with my installation of this container in the past couple of days and I am unable to send email notifications with VPN enabled.

I have tried my both gmail and office365 and neither are able to connect to respective SMTP server. I found a listing of all gmail SMTP ip ranges and added them to the LAN_NETWORK variable in the container settings. This seems to have done the trick, but seems like a less than ideal situation.

Has anyone else seen this behavior in recent days? For what it's worth, I have NEVER been able to get my local SMTP server working while VPN is enabled.  Even though I have put my local networks in the LAN_NETWORK variable. Very strange.

12 hours ago, binhex said:

File permissions will be at best 666 for new files, this is a Linux restriction, what makes you think you need execute permission? surely read and write should suffice.

Sorry you are right, I misunderstood the problem with Radarr. The downloaded files won't get processed by radarr and are showns as "no file exist to be processed", I thought it was a permission problem. But it has something to do with how I mount the folders in the docker containers, still don't know why but got it to work by mounting a root folder eg I couldn't mount the "download" folder directly in the containers and had to mount a root folder to get it to work. eg unraid and then point all the way to the DL folder in the program. Strange.

7 minutes ago, Kru-x said:

Sorry you are right, I misunderstood the problem with Radarr. The downloaded files won't get processed by radarr and are showns as "no file exist to be processed", I thought it was a permission problem. But it has something to do with how I mount the folders in the docker containers, still don't know why but got it to work by mounting a root folder eg I couldn't mount the "download" folder directly in the containers and had to mount a root folder to get it to work. eg unraid and then point all the way to the DL folder in the program. Strange.

most probably this, see Q9. from the following link:-

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/44108-support-binhex-general/?tab=comments#comment-433612

16 hours ago, knalbone said:

I found a listing of all gmail SMTP ip ranges and added them to the LAN_NETWORK variable in the container settings.

that is not a good idea, i wouldnt recommend doing this for security reasons.

The problem is most likely that the smtp servers you are targeting are now actively blocking vpn ip ranges due to abuse (hackers generally use vpn's to hide identity) and thus when sabnzbd tries to send notification over the tunnel it cannot communicate with the smtp server(s). you could try switching endpoint and this MAY then allow you to send email again, it all depends on which vpn ranges the mail provider has blocked.

16 hours ago, knalbone said:

I have NEVER been able to get my local SMTP server working while VPN is enabled.  Even though I have put my local networks in the LAN_NETWORK variable. Very strange.

the lan_network is used to allow access to the web ui for sabnzbd, its not to allow anything through (for obvious reasons).

1 hour ago, binhex said:

that is not a good idea, i wouldnt recommend doing this for security reasons.

The problem is most likely that the smtp servers you are targeting are now actively blocking vpn ip ranges due to abuse (hackers generally use vpn's to hide identity) and thus when sabnzbd tries to send notification over the tunnel it cannot communicate with the smtp server(s). you could try switching endpoint and this MAY then allow you to send email again, it all depends on which vpn ranges the mail provider has blocked.

the lan_network is used to allow access to the web ui for sabnzbd, its not to allow anything through (for obvious reasons).

Agreed that it is not a good idea, it was more of a troubleshooting step.

I have tried multiple VPN servers, all with the same results. Outbound SMTP does not appear to be working at all and this includes to multiple email providers.

lan_network is uses to allow INBOUND access to the sabnzbd web ui, but it also seems to affect outbound traffic as well. Basically it appears to be a split tunnel setting.

Previously however, I did not need any special settings for outbound SMTP to work over VPN. I am beginning to suspect however that it is something to do with my new Internet provider as well since I just changed services this week. 

9 minutes ago, knalbone said:

but it also seems to affect outbound traffic as well.

thats not true, its highly restricted to only allow web ui traffic outbound over your lan, everything else is blocked.

10 minutes ago, knalbone said:

Previously however, I did not need any special settings for outbound SMTP to work over VPN. I am beginning to suspect however that it is something to do with my new Internet provider as well since I just changed services this week. 

highly unlikely as all traffic (excluding web ui access) is forced down the vpn tunnel, therefore your isp cannot see your traffic let alone block it, its most probably what i suggested, smtp server blocking vpn ip ranges., you can prove this by setting vpn_enabled to no and then see if notification works, if it does then its not your isp.

I've had this running succesfully for a few weeks now. I also used the sabnzbd-vpn proxy for Sonarr. Worked like a charm, but today i noticed errors in Sonarr that the nzb indexers i've been using, could not be found. Also the api connection from sonarr to sab did not work anymore.

After some testing i decided to disable the use of sabnzbd's proxy in sonarr, and... now sonarr can connect to sab and to the indexers...?

I've restarted all dockers, checked settings,,, all is well, but for some reason i can't use the sabnzbd proxy from outside anymore?

Sabnzbd's logging shows it succesfully connects to my vpn provider in a correct matter, and downloading works as well.

If i setup a separate binhex-privoxyvpn docker with the exact same ovpn files and settings i'm using in sabnzbdvpn, and use that as proxy in sonarr, sonarr works just fine and can connect to sabnzbd and nzb indexers just fine... 

What is wrong? Sabnzbd was updated a few days ago to 2.3.8 [0dd1f64], did something break?

Edited by jowi
On 3/29/2019 at 7:38 PM, jowi said:

What is wrong? Sabnzbd was updated a few days ago to 2.3.8 [0dd1f64], did something break?

my guess would be some possible corruption of the privoxy config, try stopping sabnzbdvpn container then delete the folder /config/privoxy/ then start the container again and see if that fixes it.

In regards to a simple post-processing script I created, it works fine when I run the script from within the terminal. But when I have sabnzbdvpn run it, it gives me an error: “/usr/sbin/rclone: No such file or directory”. 

The desire of the script is basically asking rclone to sync my newly downloaded file to Dropbox. 

Here’s the script:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
/usr/sbin/rclone sync /mnt/user/stern dropbox:misc

Any assistance would be appreciated!

In regards to a simple post-processing script I created, it works fine when I run the script from within the terminal. But when I have sabnzbdvpn run it, it gives me an error: “/usr/sbin/rclone: No such file or directory”. 
The desire of the script is basically asking rclone to sync my newly downloaded file to Dropbox. 
Here’s the script:
#!/usr/bin/env bash
/usr/sbin/rclone sync /mnt/user/stern dropbox:misc

Any assistance would be appreciated!
rclone isn't found because rclone isn't installed inside the container you would have to either run rclone on the host or fork my code and include rclone in the build of the docker image

• Upvote 1

Hi All, I am having a networking issue with this docker. It installs just fine, when I get to the wizard and enter in my paid Usenet, any Usenet for that matter, I pay for 2, and there are solid free ones. ALL of them immediately error out (like it cant even get to the internet) with  [Errno 99] Address not available Check for internet or DNS problems. 

I have google's DNS setup in my networking settings for unraid. The response run from the docker terminal ca /etc/resolv.conf just shows the google DNS. I spun up NZBget as a test and its functioning the same way!

Any ideas?

Hi - I now have VPN running on my router so dont want to use the vpn built into the clients.

To remove this from using its configured VPN - is it more than just the changing of the vpn to 'no' ?

I tried just that and while the webgui came up, I was not able to connect to sab from sonarr then.

Has anyone gone a installed  SABYenc for faster decoding?  

I was looking at the forum for SABnzbd and this is the first thing it said to look for when High Speed downloads are happening. It looks like this still using the built in python decoder. 

Wondering if it is worth the trouble or not.

Using Sabw/ VPN

VPN was configured and tested to work

After Setup, I looked at Firewall Logs and found that the Sab Traffic was all detected as OPENVPN, which is what I expected.

Later when I reviewed the logs the next morning, I see that at some point in the evening Traffic started to be detected as "UDP"  NOT OPENVPN.  

It wasn't detected as NNTP directly, but I assumed that running all Sab Traffic through the VPN would detect as OPENVPN.  Any idea what might cause that?

I've moved Isolating the VPN usage just to the Dockers that need it would be preferred to managing it with the firewall.

Using Sabw/ VPN
VPN was configured and tested to work

After Setup, I looked at Firewall Logs and found that the Sab Traffic was all detected as OPENVPN, which is what I expected.
Later when I reviewed the logs the next morning, I see that at some point in the evening Traffic started to be detected as "UDP"  NOT OPENVPN.  
It wasn't detected as NNTP directly, but I assumed that running all Sab Traffic through the VPN would detect as OPENVPN.  Any idea what might cause that?

I've moved Isolating the VPN usage just to the Dockers that need it would be preferred to managing it with the firewall.
I would guess whatever is classifying your traffic as OpenVPN failed to detect it correctly, possibly triggered by VPN switching endpoint, confident it isn't a leak.