[Support] binhex - SABnzbdVPN

ok do we know what happens if the VPN in this container falls over?

So was testing this last night with PIA + the wiregaurd option and getting consistent speeds of around 55 MB/s which I can deal with (first world problem I know)

But today  I noticed when clicking the wrench icon it keeps coming up saying Public IPv4 address and DNS name lookup failed (this was not present last night) then if I refresh it will show the public IPV4 address and then another refresh says connection failed although this does not seem to affect downloads.

The reason I ask is I set off a test download when I first noticed this and it was downloading at twice the speed almost indicating the VPN was not connected. next download it was back to the regular 55 MB/s

Also anyone explain exactly what Privoxy is and what it does?

4 minutes ago, enigma27 said:

ok do we know what happens if the VPN in this container falls over?

if the tunnel disconnects, then the client will re-establish it, if wireguard/openvpn process dies then it will be re-created, there is zero risk of ip leakage, at all times its secured via iptables, see Q1 from here:- https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/vpn.md

2 minutes ago, binhex said:

if the tunnel disconnects, then the client will re-establish it, if wireguard/openvpn process dies then it will be re-created, there is zero risk of ip leakage, at all times its secured via iptables, see Q1 from here:- https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/vpn.md

Thank you binhex.

So why do I get connection failed when refreshing that page?

dose the docker keep the VPN connection open or does it only establish when a DL is initiated?

whenever i click the wrench icon it seems random as to whether it brings back my public IP address or whether its says failed connection

This isn't really an issue with this container itself but is anyone else having problems with downloads not starting when using PIA with wireguard?  I had it working for a few hours yesterday and then my download speed dropped to 0 and Sab was throwing errors about no servers.  I removed the wireguard variable from the container to switch back to OpenVPN and things are back to normal.  I tried changing the wireguard config to a couple of different servers with no luck.

1 hour ago, blink515 said:

This isn't really an issue with this container itself but is anyone else having problems with downloads not starting when using PIA with wireguard?  I had it working for a few hours yesterday and then my download speed dropped to 0 and Sab was throwing errors about no servers.  I removed the wireguard variable from the container to switch back to OpenVPN and things are back to normal.  I tried changing the wireguard config to a couple of different servers with no luck.

Not seeing the issues you describe.  Switched to Wireguard from OVPN and have been happier with the performance.  I do notice the initial connection time to the VPN to be longer when starting SAB.

15 minutes ago, DoItMyselfToo said:

Not seeing the issues you describe.  Switched to Wireguard from OVPN and have been happier with the performance.  I do notice the initial connection time to the VPN to be longer when starting SAB.

Thanks for the reply.  I'm thinking it's something else with my setup since I just got it working for a friend on his unraid server and had no issues.

6 minutes ago, TheExplorographer said:

Can someone please help me with this docker?    How, step-by-step do I fix this problem:

I have read Q19 and I just don't get it.  I tried what it said and still does not work.

I would recommend using Wireguard instead of OVPN, assuming you have PIA for your VPN provider.

I'm having an issue. In the configuration, I set my /data folder to be the location I have been using for downloads with qBittorrent (which I have no issues with). See the image.

image.png.e9915279bab67514bec88301323f49a1.png

However, when I download something in SABnzbd, it goes to a download folder in the /config location. I'm not sure why it's ignoring my selected /data setting. And I can see in the Folders section of the Config in the application that it's using /config as the base folder location.

image.png.7801ccd7faf543f9b47b9dc85a7c5dc3.png

image.png.9f9dcb5a97a8c242f03054cdb508ce33.png

So what can I do to get it to download to the correct location? Thanks in advance.

17 minutes ago, Tiller said:

I'm having an issue. In the configuration, I set my /data folder to be the location I have been using for downloads with qBittorrent (which I have no issues with). See the image.

image.png.e9915279bab67514bec88301323f49a1.png

However, when I download something in SABnzbd, it goes to a download folder in the /config location. I'm not sure why it's ignoring my selected /data setting. And I can see in the Folders section of the Config in the application that it's using /config as the base folder location.

image.png.7801ccd7faf543f9b47b9dc85a7c5dc3.png

image.png.9f9dcb5a97a8c242f03054cdb508ce33.png

So what can I do to get it to download to the correct location? Thanks in advance.

i believe you need a leading / .  so "/Downloads/incomplete" not "Downloads/incomplete".  also, "/Downloads/complete".

Edited by DoItMyselfToo
  • Thanks 1

I updated my docker for SABnzbdVPN this morning and now I can't get the web interface to respond (it just times out on port 8080).  I'm seeing the following error in the logs:

2020-12-02 13:56:59 DEPRECATED OPTION: --cipher set to 'aes-128-cbc' but missing in --data-ciphers (AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM). Future OpenVPN version will ignore --cipher for cipher negotiations. Add 'aes-128-cbc' to --data-ciphers or change --cipher 'aes-128-cbc' to --data-ciphers-fallback 'aes-128-cbc' to silence this warning.

Could this be the reason I can't start it, and if so how do I change this?

I use PIA for the VPN, and am running 6.9 beta 35 of unraid.

Edited by shutterbug
1 hour ago, shutterbug said:

I updated my docker for SABnzbdVPN this morning and now I can't get the web interface to respond (it just times out on port 8080).  I'm seeing the following error in the logs:

2020-12-02 13:56:59 DEPRECATED OPTION: --cipher set to 'aes-128-cbc' but missing in --data-ciphers (AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM). Future OpenVPN version will ignore --cipher for cipher negotiations. Add 'aes-128-cbc' to --data-ciphers or change --cipher 'aes-128-cbc' to --data-ciphers-fallback 'aes-128-cbc' to silence this warning.

Could this be the reason I can't start it, and if so how do I change this?

I use PIA for the VPN, and am running 6.9 beta 35 of unraid.

have you switched to using the PIA Nextgen?  look here starting with #19.