[Support] binhex - SABnzbdVPN

2 hours ago, shutterbug said:

Thank you!

Is there any reason I wouldn't want to run privoxy?  I never had it on before, but after enabling it and reading up on it, I reconfigured sonarr and radarr to pull from the privoxy port and this seems like an ideal solution.  Just wondering if there are any cons to running it? (I don't use SABnzbd outside of my LAN)

it's all i've ever run and never have had any issues.  like the idea of obfuscated the indexer side.

10 hours ago, shutterbug said:

Is there any reason I wouldn't want to run privoxy?  I never had it on before, but after enabling it and reading up on it, I reconfigured sonarr and radarr to pull from the privoxy port and this seems like an ideal solution.  Just wondering if there are any cons to running it? (I don't use SABnzbd outside of my LAN)

if you need it then sure use it!, i certainly do.

5 minutes ago, columbuscoltsfan said:

I am very much a noob when it comes to dockers.  Please see attached

the attached looks fine, you have configured it correctly, have you tried accessing the web ui from another machine or a different browser?, it should work, especially with vpn disabled as there are no iptables in play then. also what url are you using to connect to the web ui?.

looking at your screenshots the url should either be (depends on whether you turned on tls):-

http://192.168.1.100:8081/

or

https://192.168.1.100:8090/

Edited by binhex

Longtime SABnzbd user but new using a VPN. I signed up for PIA and I can't seem to get this running. If I disable the VPN in the container settings, everything works fine, but when it's enabled, I can't access the web UI. I tried to self-troubleshoot by trying different things in a FAQ but I'm failing miserably. I see a bunch of AUTH_FAILED errors in log but I can't seem to figure out why. Any help is appreciated!

supervisord.txt

1 hour ago, squishee said:

Longtime SABnzbd user but new using a VPN. I signed up for PIA and I can't seem to get this running. If I disable the VPN in the container settings, everything works fine, but when it's enabled, I can't access the web UI. I tried to self-troubleshoot by trying different things in a FAQ but I'm failing miserably. I see a bunch of AUTH_FAILED errors in log but I can't seem to figure out why. Any help is appreciated!

supervisord.txt 143.12 kB · 2 downloads

1.   click on SABnzbdvpn edit.

2.  double check pia user name/pasword used.  must be the same credentials you use to login to pia web account.

3.  double check that the lan network is correct:  xx.xx.xx.0/24.  (saw your logs show /24 lan.  just make sure you are using the right local ip.)

4.  strict port forwarding:  yes

5.  privoxy: yes  (some have reported issues with privoxy off and no access.  this should be fixed but worth trying, since yours is off.)

6.  click apply.

Lastly, consider switching from OVPN to Wireguard.  I started having problems with OVPN on PIA.  switched to Wireguard, all resolved.  If you want to try, here's a post showing how:

19 hours ago, DoItMyselfToo said:

Lastly, consider switching from OVPN to Wireguard.  I started having problems with OVPN on PIA.  switched to Wireguard, all resolved.  If you want to try, here's a post showing how...

Unfortunately steps 1-6 didn't work. I'm trying to switch to wireguard but I don't see this file: /appdata/binhex-sabnzbdvpn/wireguard/wg0.conf

Any idea how I'd get that in the wireguard folder? It's completely empty. 

6 hours ago, DoItMyselfToo said:

Steps 1-3 in this post should do it.  (double check in the edit menu of SAB container that "privileged" is toggled "on.")

binhex also explains here in Q21.

Unfortunately I took those steps and I'm still seeing an empty folder and I can confirm that the privileged toggle is on. I checked the log again and I see this error constantly repeating now:

2020-12-06 22:00:20,262 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Unable to successfully download PIA json to generate token from URL 'https://212.102.35.130/authv3/generateToken'
[info] Retrying in 10 secs...

2020-12-06 22:00:30,292 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
parse error: Invalid numeric literal at line 4, column 0

1 hour ago, squishee said:

Unfortunately I took those steps and I'm still seeing an empty folder and I can confirm that the privileged toggle is on. I checked the log again and I see this error constantly repeating now:

2020-12-06 22:00:20,262 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
[warn] Unable to successfully download PIA json to generate token from URL 'https://212.102.35.130/authv3/generateToken'
[info] Retrying in 10 secs...

2020-12-06 22:00:30,292 DEBG 'start-script' stderr output:
parse error: Invalid numeric literal at line 4, column 0

try googling that error.

On 12/7/2020 at 1:50 AM, kajeagentspi said:

I'm also encountering a similar error. @squishee are you also a new user? 

New to using a VPN but I've used SAB for years. Full disclosure: I moved recently and I'm under a strong suspicion my ISP throttles usenet downloads and I was trying to use a VPN to avoid this. I'm on a gigabit connection and I can't even come close to hitting those speeds (when I used to max out my connection prior to moving on a 600Mbps connection) 

So update: I can access the web UI now. I didn't change anything, it just somehow worked. I completed the rest of the steps in DoItMyselfToo's post modifying wg0.conf and I'm getting super slow speeds. They'll start at 35Mb/s and drop down to between 10-18Mb/s. I'm on a gigabit connection as I mentioned above. Any recommendations on how to improve this?

I have been using this container for a while without issues. I recently updated the PIA certs to the next gen ones, and have been getting this error(its possible the PIA certs are anecdotal, haven't used this in a while)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/sabnzbd/sabnzbd/filesystem.py", line 492, in set_chmod
    os.chmod(path, permissions)
PermissionError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: False

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/sabnzbd/sabnzbd/nzbparser.py", line 314, in process_single_nzb
    nzo = nzbstuff.NzbObject(
  File "/usr/lib/sabnzbd/sabnzbd/nzbstuff.py", line 732, in __init__
    set_permissions(work_dir)
  File "/usr/lib/sabnzbd/sabnzbd/filesystem.py", line 528, in set_permissions
    set_chmod(path, umask_file, report)
  File "/usr/lib/sabnzbd/sabnzbd/filesystem.py", line 494, in set_chmod
    lpath = path.lower()
AttributeError: 'bool' object has no attribute 'lower'

Anyone know what's going on here? It looks like maybe a permissions issue, but the directory that the container saves to is set to 777

On 12/9/2020 at 8:48 AM, squishee said:

New to using a VPN but I've used SAB for years. Full disclosure: I moved recently and I'm under a strong suspicion my ISP throttles usenet downloads and I was trying to use a VPN to avoid this. I'm on a gigabit connection and I can't even come close to hitting those speeds (when I used to max out my connection prior to moving on a 600Mbps connection) 

So update: I can access the web UI now. I didn't change anything, it just somehow worked. I completed the rest of the steps in DoItMyselfToo's post modifying wg0.conf and I'm getting super slow speeds. They'll start at 35Mb/s and drop down to between 10-18Mb/s. I'm on a gigabit connection as I mentioned above. Any recommendations on how to improve this?

Same It seems like it is an issue on PIA's end.

From my observation it took at most a day for my credentials to work.

Credential propagation issue?

1 hour ago, fc0712 said:

Any inputs?

there are pro's and con's for both:-

Pro of routing sabnzb through delugevpn (or another vpn enabled container) -  less connections to your vpn provider - most vpn providers only give you a limited number of connections, routing everything through one container means its only a single connection.

Con of routing sabnzb through delugevpn (or another vpn enabled container) - single point of failure, if the vpn container you have everything routed through fails then it will affect multiple applications.

and vice-verse for if you did NOT route multiple apps through a single container.

personally i like the isolation of each application having its own vpn connection, and i have 5 connection limit on my vpn provider (pia) so im fine, but the choice is yours.

there are other minor pro's/con's too, but the above are the major two.

Edited by binhex
  • Like 1

I've been running this docker for years with mostly no issues however I just noticed recently that I'm getting errors like "Downloading nzb for episode failed" from Sonarr and Radarr and I think I've tracked the issue back to this docker and a possible issue with privoxy not being reachable.

Things I've checked:

1. VPN provider account password is valid and active
  2. I'm not seeing any errors in the debug logs... I'm seeing notifications that everything has started and that the vpn has an ip
  3. I also enabled the "Bypass Proxy for Local Addresses" setting in Sonarr and that didn’t seem to help.
  4. If I turn off the proxy in those apps then everything works fine.

The only thing that has changed recently is that I upgraded Radarr and Sonarr to v3 so perhaps some requirements have changed although I can't find anything?

Any ideas on how to debug this?

Edited by unRaide

Hi im wondering what the following error is shows up every minute. (((((((2020-12-30 15:57:51 TLS: tls_process: killed expiring key)))))) I have nordvpn. Thanks

(((((((2020-12-30 15:57:51 TLS: tls_process: killed expiring key))))))

2020-12-30 15:57:51,493 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
2020-12-30 15:57:51 VERIFY OK: depth=1, C=PA, O=NordVPN, CN=NordVPN CA5

2020-12-30 15:57:51,493 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
2020-12-30 15:57:51 VERIFY KU OK
2020-12-30 15:57:51 Validating certificate extended key usage
2020-12-30 15:57:51 ++ Certificate has EKU (str) TLS Web Server Authentication, expects TLS Web Server Authentication
2020-12-30 15:57:51 VERIFY EKU OK
2020-12-30 15:57:51 VERIFY OK: depth=0, CN=us6620.nordvpn.com

2020-12-30 15:57:51,743 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
2020-12-30 15:57:51 Outgoing Data Channel: Cipher 'AES-256-GCM' initialized with 256 bit key
2020-12-30 15:57:51 Incoming Data Channel: Cipher 'AES-256-GCM' initialized with 256 bit key

2020-12-30 15:57:51,743 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
2020-12-30 15:57:51 Control Channel: TLSv1.2, cipher TLSv1.2 ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384, 4096 bit RSA

2020-12-30 16:57:51,002 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
((((((2020-12-30 16:57:51 TLS: tls_process: killed expiring key))))))

• 2 weeks later...

Can this container be upgraded to the beta version(s) of Sabnzbd? One of my indexers gets a lot of cross-posted nzbs that are created by Newsnab and are obfuscated. Supposedly there's a fix for deobfuscation for these posts in the latest beta. I've searched for the term beta in this topic and the forum reports no results. Hopefully I don't have to switch to a different container provider... thanks!

11 hours ago, AgentXXL said:

Can this container be upgraded to the beta version(s) of Sabnzbd?

im afraid i dont do beta's due to my limited amount of time for support, you will have to wait for it to be included in the next release or switch to another image.

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure if there was an update recently or if something else broke the container, but now if I have VPN enabled, I can no longer access sabnzbd's web ui, nor will Radarr or Sonarr connect to it. My VPN is still current, so I'm not sure what happened. The two warnings I see in the log are:

2021-01-14 18:15:43 DEPRECATED OPTION: --cipher set to 'AES-256-CBC' but missing in --data-ciphers (AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM). Future OpenVPN version will ignore --cipher for cipher negotiations. Add 'AES-256-CBC' to --data-ciphers or change --cipher 'AES-256-CBC' to --data-ciphers-fallback 'AES-256-CBC' to silence this warning.

2021-01-14 18:15:43,002 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
2021-01-14 18:15:43 WARNING: file 'credentials.conf' is group or others accessible

Any ideas?

Hey all, quick question on PIA servers.  Recently, I noticed a significant decrease in speed with DL using SABNZBDVPN.  I am on 1GB fiber and typically have no issues with non-vpn transfers, but lately SABNZBDVPN seems to have slowed quite a bit.  Any recommendations for a PIA server to use that has had better transfer rates?  I am in the southeast of the US.  

Thanks in advance!

On 1/15/2021 at 12:17 AM, thunderclap said:

I'm not sure if there was an update recently or if something else broke the container, but now if I have VPN enabled, I can no longer access sabnzbd's web ui, nor will Radarr or Sonarr connect to it. My VPN is still current, so I'm not sure what happened. The two warnings I see in the log are:

2021-01-14 18:15:43 DEPRECATED OPTION: --cipher set to 'AES-256-CBC' but missing in --data-ciphers (AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM). Future OpenVPN version will ignore --cipher for cipher negotiations. Add 'AES-256-CBC' to --data-ciphers or change --cipher 'AES-256-CBC' to --data-ciphers-fallback 'AES-256-CBC' to silence this warning.

2021-01-14 18:15:43,002 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
2021-01-14 18:15:43 WARNING: file 'credentials.conf' is group or others accessible

Any ideas?

do this:- https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/help.md