[Support] binhex - SABnzbdVPN

I had a little time to troubleshoot again. This time I used a bigger hammer and disabled iptables all together. Sure enough, the *arrs can now talk to sabnzb now. So at this point I know it's the sab docker and I know it's the iptables rules at fault, but I don't know how to fix it... I suppose I may have to now experiment with adding iptables rules until I find the right one to add, but that doesn't sound very permanent as a restart or update of the docker will undo my changes.

I had a little time to troubleshoot again. This time I used a bigger hammer and disabled iptables all together. Sure enough, the *arrs can now talk to sabnzb now. So at this point I know it's the sab docker and I know it's the iptables rules at fault, but I don't know how to fix it... I suppose I may have to now experiment with adding iptables rules until I find the right one to add, but that doesn't sound very permanent as a restart or update of the docker will undo my changes.
Take a look at the recommended post at the top of the screen, this should help you.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, UNRAID5 said:

I have tried them all multiple times, but nothing seems to be working for me. 🤷‍♂️

ok so can you detail what is routed through what, is this post still how it is setup?:-

I am not having any luck getting my *arr's to connect to SABnzb. All of my dockers have their own IP, nothing shares IP with unraid. All of the *arr's go through the qbittorrent docker with vpn and privoxy. I can hit all webui's no problem and all openvpn's are connected successfully. Indexers all work and torrents work with all the *arr's. The only thing that isn't working is the *arr's can't see the SABnzb Download Client (they did before updates). Any ideas beyond what is in the FAQ? I have tried every combination that I can think of that is listed in the FAQ and not having any success. Thanks!

Yes, that is still the same. To reiterate: All dockers have their own unique IP's on the same subnet (br0.x). All *arrs are using the proxy configuration through binhex/arch-qbittorrentvpn using privoxy. Then separately I also have binhex/arch-sabnzbdvpn using openvpn only and no privoxy. Everything works minus the *arrs talking to binhex/arch-sabnzbdvpn as a download client using the API key over port 8080.

So far no test rules in iptables are working for me successfully, still thinking of more to possibly try.

iptables -I INPUT 1 -s 10.x.x.0/24 -j ACCEPT

iptables -I OUTPUT 1 -d 10.x.x.0/24 -j ACCEPT

iptables -I INPUT 1 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 8080 -j ACCEPT

iptables -I OUTPUT 1 -p tcp -m tcp --sport 8080 -j ACCEPT

iptables -I INPUT 1 -i eth0 -j ACCEPT

What I have noticed so far is the last rule above renders 0 DROPS on the INPUT chain. Which at least makes some sense (I like it when things make sense).

On 3/21/2021 at 2:59 PM, unRaide said:

Hi @binhex, just finished updating my sabnzbdvpn, radarr, sonarr, nzbhydra2 setup to work with the latest changes and so far everything seems to be working well!

The only issue I’m still having is that I can no longer reach radarr (port 8989), sonarr (7878), nzbhydra2 (5076) outside my network using my reverse proxy. I used @SpaceInvaderOne tutorial to setup a reverse proxy using Swag and creating a proxynet and after the vpn updates I get a “502 bad gateway” error when trying to access those containers.

I tried Q27 in the docs and added each of the ports above to VPN_OUTPUT_PORTS but no luck so far.

54798124_vpninputoutputports.thumb.png.59357c74388f90c906343ee4ef7e8b5e.png

Any guidance on how to get to get this working again 🙏

Thx

Hi @binhex, any ideas on how to get this new setup working with a reverse proxy? I've added each of the ports above and couldn’t find any suggestions in the documentation or anywhere else in this thread.

Is it still possible to use a reverse proxy?

Hi @binhex,

( Wireguard and PIA)

I just installed WireGuard and it is working nicely. I did this because I really want the access to my network to be secure, but also so that my SabNzbd traffic would flow through it. That does not appear to be the case. I am using your version of SabNzbd and it has worked flawlessly for years; thanks for that!

So, if I install your "binhex - SABnzbdVPN", setup my PIA account info within the container, does that mean my NZBD traffic will go through both Wireguard and PIA? Or does Wireguard simply become my replacement for OpenVPN?

Hell everyone,
[mention]binhex [/mention] Thanks for all you do.

I’m bumping up against some speed issues when using PIA and I was hoping someone could lend me a hand.

I have gone through about 15 endpoints and so far the fastest I can find is netting me around 15-20 mb/s on US Chicago. Now I understand that using a VPN will drop the speed, which is something I’m willing to accept. However, without a VPN I’m getting about 110 mb/s. Is this 15-20 cap typical? I read from many people that seem to cap out around 60-70 so I feel like there’s something I can tune.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Starsixer said:

Hell everyone,

I’m bumping up against some speed issues when using PIA and I was hoping someone could lend me a hand.

I have gone through about 15 endpoints and so far the fastest I can find is netting me around 15-20 mb/s on US Chicago. Now I understand that using a VPN will drop the speed, which is something I’m willing to accept. However, without a VPN I’m getting about 110 mb/s. Is this 15-20 cap typical? I read from many people that seem to cap out around 60-70 so I feel like there’s something I can tune.

What is your internet speed you are downloading from?  A VPN will definitely slow things down for usenet transfer speeds and some VPNs will be faster than others. You don't really need a VPN for usenet since it uses SSL/TLS, but if you value anonymity over transfer speeds, then try a few different VPNs or even set up your own. If you're not using a seedbox, you can look into that as well.

What is your internet speed you are downloading from?  A VPN will definitely slow things down for usenet transfer speeds and some VPNs will be faster than others. You don't really need a VPN for usenet since it uses SSL/TLS, but if you value anonymity over transfer speeds, then try a few different VPNs or even set up your own. If you're not using a seedbox, you can look into that as well.

I have a gig connection. I was mostly just making sure there isn’t some tweak I can do to open it up. As to the SSL bit, I guess it’s not the biggest deal in the world if my ISP knows I’m connecting to usenet. I have unlimited connection which I just got after moving last month but I just became paranoid after I realized I had downloaded like 5TB in my first 3 weeks. If they come asking questions, I thought I might have a bit more of a shield if they weren’t able to tell where 99% of the traffic was coming from.

Thanks for the tips, maybe I need to try something other than PIA.

On 4/5/2021 at 10:52 AM, Starsixer said:

I have a gig connection. I was mostly just making sure there isn’t some tweak I can do to open it up. As to the SSL bit, I guess it’s not the biggest deal in the world if my ISP knows I’m connecting to usenet. I have unlimited connection which I just got after moving last month but I just became paranoid after I realized I had downloaded like 5TB in my first 3 weeks. If they come asking questions, I thought I might have a bit more of a shield if they weren’t able to tell where 99% of the traffic was coming from.

Thanks for the tips, maybe I need to try something other than PIA.

Did you find a solution? I am in the same boat.

36 minutes ago, TheExplorographer said:

Did you find a solution? I am in the same boat.

Not really, no.  I did discover that I hadn't maxed out my newsgroup connection limit on this container to 50, however.  At this point I'm getting around 25-30MB/s with two newsgroup connections.  This is with PIA running off the US-Chicago (OVPN) server which was the fastest for me.

I did test all of the US and Canada servers as I am in North America.  For me, the fastest were Washington DC at 14, US East at 15, and Chicago at 15.  Believe it or not Venezuela also came in at 15 but most of the European connections I tried were slower.  All of these speeds seem to be per newsgroup, so I tried a third server but was unable to increase my speeds.

I am not running Wireguard as that config didn't seem to increase my speeds at all and I have yet to try another provider at this point.  

If anyone is getting better speeds with PIA or another provider and care to share how they've got it configured I'm all ears!

@Starsixer I can get roughly 70-80 MBs over VPN, but I have 3 providers. I us Newshosting (about 35MBs), Giganews (about 25MBs), and Eweka (10MBs). It may just be capping out for it's connection to your VPN provider. I would say you can try adding another usenet provider or try another VPN service. I would personally go the route of just accepting the speed or turning off VPN. At the end of the day, 40MBs is still pretty quick...

57 minutes ago, Roudy said:

@Starsixer I can get roughly 70-80 MBs over VPN, but I have 3 providers. I us Newshosting (about 35MBs), Giganews (about 25MBs), and Eweka (10MBs). It may just be capping out for it's connection to your VPN provider. I would say you can try adding another usenet provider or try another VPN service. I would personally go the route of just accepting the speed or turning off VPN. At the end of the day, 40MBs is still pretty quick...

What VPN?

11 hours ago, Roudy said:

Could be. You can take a look at the link below and see which location closest to you has the most servers and supports the most bandwidth. I would just not use a VPN is speed is your primary focus. Good luck!

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/network/

Certainly not primary concern.  When I started asking this question I think I was getting 8MB/s so stepping up to 30 is fine for me.  70-80 though, that's quite a step up for just location to be the determining factor, no?  I feel like I have something set incorrectly.

Is that OVPN or Wireguard?

On 4/5/2021 at 8:27 AM, Starsixer said:

Hell everyone,

I had the same issue initially. I found that capping the connections on newsgroup server at 8, increased my speed. 

I can't remember where I found the post but that seemed to improve my VPN connection speed.

Your mileage may vary.

Greetings, I have been using binhex SABnzbdvpn for about a year on unraid with great success, about a month ago it started to generate a couple errors (included in log), during this time it didnt change how everything came in so I hoped a future update would correct the issue. About two weeks ago any file will get hung up on a scan or DL at 99% but show full file size in the progress bar and never complete. I am not sure what is interconnected with this issue or not, I have restarted from scratch on SABnzbd and still have the same issue. Is this a network thing that happened on my end? not sure what changed or needs to change, any and all help is appreciated.  

Untitled.png.2eb683b6c96463c3013f49f231838cb7.png

sabnzbd-log-error.txt

On 4/10/2021 at 11:03 PM, Merlryn said:

I found that capping the connections on newsgroup server at 8, increased my speed. 

I can't remember where I found the post but that seemed to improve my VPN connection speed.

@Starsixer I have heard this as well. I tried it before, but it never improved my speeds, always made it worse. Newshosting posted an article about it a few years back. I posted it below to make it easy.

https://www.newshosting.com/usenet/usenet-connections/