[Support] binhex - SABnzbdVPN


Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...

For the last week or so I am getting drops in sab. Looking at the logs I see I am erroring out on the api curl check for ip. Anything I can do about this? I am using PIA. Worked for a charm for a long while, not sure when it started but I started noticing it a week or two ago. Stuff will eventually download, mostly. It just takes forever

 

I changed to a CA node thinking maybe a TUN would be better, seems to have fixed it, though I was getting faster speeds on US servers, Ahhhh well.

 

Just FYI for anyone seeing spikes and slows in their servers on PIA

 

BTW Great job guys! Love it :)

Link to comment
I think there's a bug. The VPN parameters are not passed to the docker. It ends up using the opvn file in the appdata folder. So if you want to change the server to anything other than the default nl PIA server, just edit the opvn file.
It's not a bug, it's been this way for signs a year now, you have an out of date docker template.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Link to comment

Suddenly getting lots of errors connecting:

 

WARNING 2 hours ago Too many connections to server news.newsgroup.ninja
WARNING 2 hours ago Too many connections to server news.newsgroup.ninja
WARNING 2 hours ago Too many connections to server news.newsgroup.ninja
WARNING 3 hours ago Server news.newsgroup.ninja will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 3 hours ago Cannot connect to server news.newsgroup.ninja [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 3 hours ago Server ssl-eu.astraweb.com will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 3 hours ago Cannot connect to server ssl-eu.astraweb.com [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 3 hours ago Server news.newsgroup.ninja will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 3 hours ago Cannot connect to server news.newsgroup.ninja [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 3 hours ago Server ssl-eu.astraweb.com will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 3 hours ago Cannot connect to server ssl-eu.astraweb.com [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 7 hours ago Server news.newsgroup.ninja will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 7 hours ago Cannot connect to server news.newsgroup.ninja [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 7 hours ago Server ssl-eu.astraweb.com will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 7 hours ago Cannot connect to server ssl-eu.astraweb.com [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 8 hours ago Too many connections to server news.newsgroup.ninja

 

What kind of logging/info would be helpful to troubleshoot? I'm on the latest stable Unraid, latest SABnzbdvpn update

Link to comment

So I updated to the latest template. Is there anyway to pass additional parameters to openvpn?

 

My idea is to use remote-random to allow the docker to pick a random server at every restart.

 

The section of code below is deleted every time the docker start and replace with the server in the template.

Only the remote-random line remains so I'm guessing something was set up to remove any lines starting with "remote "

remote-random
remote de-berlin.privateinternetaccess.com 1197
remote de-frankfurt.privateinternetaccess.com 1197
remote czech.privateinternetaccess.com 1197
remote france.privateinternetaccess.com 1197
remote ro.privateinternetaccess.com 1197
remote spain.privateinternetaccess.com 1197
remote swiss.privateinternetaccess.com 1197
remote sweden.privateinternetaccess.com 1197 

 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, charlieny100 said:

I noticed when using the proxy my local IP can be seen by some websites. When I go to whatismyip.com it shows the ip of VPN. When I go to speediest.net it shows the IP of my ISP. Isn't that a problem?

Yes. You have a problem with your browser configuration. Are you sure you specified to use the proxy for all protocols?

 

I just verified using firefox on mint, both whatismyip.com and speedtest.net show the VPN endpoint address.

Link to comment
On 8/31/2018 at 4:37 AM, newoski said:

Suddenly getting lots of errors connecting:

 

WARNING 2 hours ago Too many connections to server news.newsgroup.ninja
WARNING 2 hours ago Too many connections to server news.newsgroup.ninja
WARNING 2 hours ago Too many connections to server news.newsgroup.ninja
WARNING 3 hours ago Server news.newsgroup.ninja will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 3 hours ago Cannot connect to server news.newsgroup.ninja [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 3 hours ago Server ssl-eu.astraweb.com will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 3 hours ago Cannot connect to server ssl-eu.astraweb.com [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 3 hours ago Server news.newsgroup.ninja will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 3 hours ago Cannot connect to server news.newsgroup.ninja [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 3 hours ago Server ssl-eu.astraweb.com will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 3 hours ago Cannot connect to server ssl-eu.astraweb.com [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 7 hours ago Server news.newsgroup.ninja will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 7 hours ago Cannot connect to server news.newsgroup.ninja [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 7 hours ago Server ssl-eu.astraweb.com will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 7 hours ago Cannot connect to server ssl-eu.astraweb.com [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 8 hours ago Too many connections to server news.newsgroup.ninja

 

What kind of logging/info would be helpful to troubleshoot? I'm on the latest stable Unraid, latest SABnzbdvpn update

I'm having this same issue. Just starting to explore the SAB logs (/config/logs/) but haven't seen anything that points to an issue with SAB so I suspect its an issue with the VPN.

 

By chance, did you follow SpaceInvaderOne's tutorial for getting Let'sEncrypt/NGINX working with this? If so I wonder if having SAB, etc. on another network causes some issues with the VPN.

Link to comment

No, I did not. I haven't seen the issue after rebuilding the Docker from scratch. Still unclear on causality. My rtorrent from binhex also broke at the same time, but haven't been able to fix that one

I'm having this same issue. Just starting to explore the SAB logs (/config/logs/) but haven't seen anything that points to an issue with SAB so I suspect its an issue with the VPN.
 
By chance, did you follow SpaceInvaderOne's tutorial for getting Let'sEncrypt/NGINX working with this? If so I wonder if having SAB, etc. on another network causes some issues with the VPN.


Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
2 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Yes. You have a problem with your browser configuration. Are you sure you specified to use the proxy for all protocols?

 

I just verified using firefox on mint, both whatismyip.com and speedtest.net show the VPN endpoint address.

I had to add http for the proxy so both https and http point to my unraid server. So that covers my browsers. If I were to use a torrent client (which I don't) I'd have to configure it to use the proxy too, correct?

Link to comment
13 minutes ago, charlieny100 said:

I had to add http for the proxy so both https and http point to my unraid server. So that covers my browsers. If I were to use a torrent client (which I don't) I'd have to configure it to use the proxy too, correct?

I'm not quite sure what you are saying. Can you screenshot the browser's configuration where you entered the proxy info?

 

There is no way I know of to use privoxy to tunnel torrent traffic. It's purely for browser (or any application that reads web pages) use AFAIK.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, newoski said:

No, I did not. I haven't seen the issue after rebuilding the Docker from scratch. Still unclear on causality. My rtorrent from binhex also broke at the same time, but haven't been able to fix that one

 


Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
 

 

Same problem here. 

sab-warnings.PNG

Link to comment
56 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

I'm not quite sure what you are saying. Can you screenshot the browser's configuration where you entered the proxy info?

 

There is no way I know of to use privoxy to tunnel torrent traffic. It's purely for browser (or any application that reads web pages) use AFAIK.

I attached a screenshot from my Mint network setup.

Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 1.24.05 PM.png

Link to comment
On 8/31/2018 at 5:37 AM, newoski said:

Suddenly getting lots of errors connecting:

 

WARNING 2 hours ago Too many connections to server news.newsgroup.ninja
WARNING 2 hours ago Too many connections to server news.newsgroup.ninja
WARNING 2 hours ago Too many connections to server news.newsgroup.ninja
WARNING 3 hours ago Server news.newsgroup.ninja will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 3 hours ago Cannot connect to server news.newsgroup.ninja [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 3 hours ago Server ssl-eu.astraweb.com will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 3 hours ago Cannot connect to server ssl-eu.astraweb.com [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 3 hours ago Server news.newsgroup.ninja will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 3 hours ago Cannot connect to server news.newsgroup.ninja [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 3 hours ago Server ssl-eu.astraweb.com will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 3 hours ago Cannot connect to server ssl-eu.astraweb.com [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 7 hours ago Server news.newsgroup.ninja will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 7 hours ago Cannot connect to server news.newsgroup.ninja [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 7 hours ago Server ssl-eu.astraweb.com will be ignored for 10 minutes
WARNING 7 hours ago Cannot connect to server ssl-eu.astraweb.com [Server name does not resolve]
WARNING 8 hours ago Too many connections to server news.newsgroup.ninja

 

What kind of logging/info would be helpful to troubleshoot? I'm on the latest stable Unraid, latest SABnzbdvpn update

Too many connections are because the client is retrying before the server realizes that the old connections are dead.  Instead of using news.newsgroup.ninja, try using the IP that it resolves to.  My guess is that we are all getting timeouts because there is a bug in SABNZBDVPN.  The timeouts are causing the retries which are causing the too many connections.

Link to comment

i dont currently have a usenet subscription or block account so i cant test, but my first thought would be that certain/most larger usenet providers are now beginning to block VPN ip address ranges, i know Astraweb already have a policy of no proxy connections due to a history of '...too many abuse cases originate from these servers.'.

 

so your options are, try a different usenet provider or try switching vpn endpoint, you might get lucky and connect to an endpoint that the usenet provider hasn't yet blocked.

Link to comment

I did open a ticket with USENETSERVER and they couldn't find anything wrong and they didn't hint at blocking anything.  I also opened a ticket with PIA and they didn't see anything wrong.  

 

If they were blocking IP ranges, nothing would download.  The problem is, things do eventually successfully download with a lot of interruptions.

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, slider162 said:

I did open a ticket with USENETSERVER and they couldn't find anything wrong and they didn't hint at blocking anything.  I also opened a ticket with PIA and they didn't see anything wrong.  

 

If they were blocking IP ranges, nothing would download.  The problem is, things do eventually successfully download with a lot of interruptions.

Here has been my experience. I was a happy usenetserver customer for years using Windows. I switched to Ubuntu/docker and I could not get it to work with NZBGet and UNS via SSL. I tried different machines, different versions of Ubuntu - same results. I discovered Unraid and started using SAB/VPN and other than it being a little slower, it is flawless. The ticket I opened with UNS didn't get resolved but I found something that works. Not a solution, just a "I feel your pain" post.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.