[Support] binhex - MiniDLNA

I have a problem getting MiniDLNA to work. It's installed and I can see the music files etc but when I try to play them, they just skip from 1 to the next file down the list as if they're missing. Any idea what's wrong? Got same result when trying to play from DLNA client in my LG TV as well as from PC using Media Monkey. Have reinstalled the docker app but still same results.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having the same refresh problem, but also not quite...

I initially set it up to share a specific server share, and that all worked OK.

Today I wanted to add another share, so I went ahead and add a new path, and learning the error that you cannot use the same "/media", so tried, even had the docker disappear... Then re-added it, added "/media2" pointing to the other share.  Initially seemed to accept it, but nothing was showing up (or better said, the client side was still showing the old content only, both on the device I was already using as well as trying with another device that never connected to the server before). 

Tried removing that second one, and just leaving the first but changing the path to the new share, and nothing, same result.

I now just chose to delete the docker, and I reinstalled it. On the install setup/config page, I chose the new path. Testing it out, clients still see the old folders/share. WTH??? 😳

Edited by walterg74

Hi all,

I have installed minidlna and I encounter some problems. I have a larger movie library sorted in directories and after scanning:

- some of the movies do not show up at all
- some show up as empty entries with no name at all

- one directory with movies is shown completely empty

I assume that this happens because of failures during scanning of the media meta  data. I think that the minidlna Server does not handle all errors when try the get the metadata of a file by falling back to use the filename for display as the last option.

Is the project currently under development? Looks like the last updates are some time ago...

Does anybody have similar problems?

• 4 weeks later...

Today my miniDLNA stopped working.  The docker is running and it says I have the latest version.  If you scan for the miniDLNA service, it is no longer broadcasting.  I've tried a Forced Update twice to no avail.

Has anything changed?  I did notice that binhex updated sickchill two days ago, but not sure if they share any files.

Suggestions?

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I use MiniDLNA because I don't have an internet connection on the server.

It works very stably, I am very satisfied.

I only have one problem: the sorting of the files in the folders. Each music album that I want to listen to lists the tracks in alphabetical order. Can MiniDLNA sort in the order of the track numbers? All films in the folders are sorted according to the creation date. Can I change the sorting of MiniDLNA?

Thank you so much!

Edited by Andreas2020
  • 5 months later...
On 5/15/2021 at 4:46 PM, be4con said:

/mnt/user/MUSIC/

ok first question, is your share name really 'MUSIC'? are you 100% positive on the case, its not 'Music' or 'music' right?, because linux is CaSe sensitive.

assuming you do have a share of MUSIC, make sure you are telling miniDLNA to look at /media NOT /mnt/user/MUSIC, as this does not exist INSIDE the container.

First, I would like to thank you. 

This is amazing. I'm able to play without any kind of conversion, just direct stream, dsf files (sacd) from unraid to my Denon receiver using my phone with Bubble UPnP and it's easy AF! 

Thank you.

My only question is, would be possible that I can do a scan on demand? 

Some command line to trigger the scan that I can put on user scripts and do from my phone?

On 5/17/2021 at 10:18 AM, binhex said:

ok first question, is your share name really 'MUSIC'? are you 100% positive on the case, its not 'Music' or 'music' right?, because linux is CaSe sensitive.

Yes, the share is MUSIC

On 5/17/2021 at 10:18 AM, binhex said:

make sure you are telling miniDLNA to look at /media NOT /mnt/user/MUSIC, as this does not exist INSIDE the container.

Sorry, I'm confused by this - where do I enter that? Is that the Host Path 2 setting? Or do I set that to /mnt/user/MUSIC as above and set some other setting to /media?

13 hours ago, be4con said:

Sorry, I'm confused by this - where do I enter that? Is that the Host Path 2 setting? Or do I set that to /mnt/user/MUSIC as above and set some other setting to /media?

actually it looks like i preset it to /media for you, so you shouldnt need to change anything, hmm so what format is the music in?, i dont know what format minidlna supports or would mark as 'audio'.

6 hours ago, binhex said:

actually it looks like i preset it to /media for you, so you shouldnt need to change anything, hmm so what format is the music in?, i dont know what format minidlna supports or would mark as 'audio'.

Just standard audio fomats - MP3 and a few FLAC. They are all in subfolders within MUSIC.

In the log it states: "[2021/05/20 15:49:00] minidlna.c:670: error: Media directory "/mnt/user/MUSIC" not accessible [No such file or directory]"

So, it is a problem with the share, but I don't understand what I need to change. This is my share:

image.png.c00a6c992ae8bba3cdcd5eda151e9d2d.png

This is my docker config:

image.png.2ca3da8aa47592efec75301e20fcb24a.png

and this is my config file:

# port for HTTP (descriptions, SOAP, media transfer) trafficport=8200

# network interfaces to serve, comma delimited
#network_interface=eth0

# specify the useraccount name or uid to run asuser=nobody

# set this to the directory you want scanned.
# * if you want multiple directories, you can have multiple media_dir=lines
# * if you want to restrict a media_dir to specific content types, you
#   can prepend the types, followed by a comma, to the directory:
#   + "A" foraudio  (eg. media_dir=A,/home/jmaggard/Music)
#   + "V" for video  (eg. media_dir=V,/home/jmaggard/Videos)
#   + "P" for images (eg.media_dir=P,/home/jmaggard/Pictures)
#   + "PV" for pictures and video (eg. media_dir=PV,/home/jmaggard/digital_camera)

media_dir=A,/mnt/user/MUSIC

# set this to merge all media_dir base contents into the root container
# note: the default is no
#merge_media_dirs=no

# set this if you want to customize the name that shows up on your clients friendly_name=binhex-MiniDLNA

# set this if you would like to specify the directory where you want MiniDLNA to store its database and album art cache db_dir=/config

# set this if you would like to specify the directory where you want MiniDLNA to store its log file log_dir=/config

# set this to change the verbosity of the information that is logged
# each section can use a different level: off, fatal, error, warn, info, or debug
#log_level=general,artwork,database,inotify,scanner,metadata,http,ssdp,tivo=warn

# this should be a list of file names to check for when searching for album art
# note: names should be delimited with a forward slash ("/") album_art_names=Cover.jpg/cover.jpg/AlbumArtSmall.jpg/albumartsmall.jpg/AlbumArt.jpg/albumart.jpg/Album.jpg/album.jpg/Folder.jpg/folder.jpg/Thumb.jpg/thumb.jpg

# set this to no to disable inotify monitoring to automatically discover new files
# note: the default is yes inotify=yes

# set this to yes to enable support for streaming .jpg and .mp3 files to a TiVo supporting HMO enable_tivo=no

# set this to beacon to use legacy broadcast discovery method
# defauts to bonjour if avahi is available tivo_discovery=bonjour

# set this to strictly adhere to DLNA standards.
# * This will allow server-side downscaling of very large JPEG images,
#   which may hurt JPEG serving performance on (at least) Sony DLNA products. strict_dlna=no

# default presentation url is http address on port 80
#presentation_url=http://www.mylan/index.php

# notify interval in seconds. default is 895 seconds. notify_interval=900

# serial and model number the daemon will report to clients
# in its XML description serial=12345678 model_number=1

# specify the path to the MiniSSDPd socket
#minissdpdsocket=/var/run/minissdpd.sock

# use different container as root of the tree
# possible values:
#   + "." - use standard container (this is the default)
#   + "B" - "Browse Directory"
#   + "M" - "Music"
#   + "V" - "Video"
#   + "P" - "Pictures"
#   + Or, you can specify the ObjectID of your desired root container (eg. 1$F for Music/Playlists)
# if you specify "B" and client device is audio-only then "Music/Folders" will be used as root
#root_container=.

# always force SortCriteria to this value, regardless of the SortCriteria passed by the client
#force_sort_criteria=+upnp:class,+upnp:originalTrackNumber, +dc:title

# maximum number of simultaneous connections
# note: many clients open several simultaneous connections while streaming
#max_connections=50

# set this to yes to allow symlinks that point outside user-defined media_dirs.
#wide_links=no

looks like you have changed the host path for the worse since your initial screenshot, it now shows this which is wrong:-

image.thumb.png.528d0b3be8852f334a713ea87b325f34.png

it should be as you had it, i.e.:-

image.thumb.png.87a70699cac40ffc6c0ab9d500b0ebf8.png

looks like the config file is also incorrect, from your post above:-

5 minutes ago, be4con said:

media_dir=A,/mnt/user/MUSIC

this is not correct, it should be set to:-

media_dir=/media

as per the default file.

30 minutes ago, binhex said:

looks like you have changed the host path for the worse since your initial screenshot, it now shows this which is wrong:-

image.thumb.png.528d0b3be8852f334a713ea87b325f34.png

it should be as you had it, i.e.:-

image.thumb.png.87a70699cac40ffc6c0ab9d500b0ebf8.png

looks like the config file is also incorrect, from your post above:-

this is not correct, it should be set to:-

media_dir=/media

as per the default file.

Ah, the Host path is me messing with different options to see if anything worked - thought I'd changed it back before I took the screenshot. Apparently not.

For the config fille - what's all the gubbins about changing the path mean then? I thought I had just followed the instructions in the file itself.

OK, having changed that it is now finding files! Thanks for working through that with me.

The log is showing a new issue though:
image.png.0468b9513b4c43542c84c72e81529108.png

It still seems to be scanning and finding new files but that last line is just repeating ad infinitum.

• 2 months later...

I too am having issues configuring MiniDLNA. I'm new to UNRAID and recently set it up. The main reason for me to get a home server is to get a DLNA server going so I can play music on my stereo.

I looked for documentation on the project page and it's non existent, so I'm trying to make educated guesses from reading these forums.

I got into the config file and have a few questions. You can run this as a user. Is this necessary? The default is "nobody". As a test, I created a user "minidlna" and set that as my user to run the server as. This returns a fatal "bad user" error and the server doesn't launch.

Also, I'm having trouble adding an extra media directory to the default directory.

In my config file, I have:

media_dir=/media
media_dir=/mnt/user/podcasts/

When I restart my server:

[2021/07/26 18:27:54] minidlna.c:670: error: Media directory "/mnt/user/podcasts" not accessible [No such file or directory]

It clearly doesn't like this share. Am I not entering the right path? I have a share called podcasts I'd like to add and it's located on my array under /mnt/user/podcasts.... Why is MiniDLNA returning it as not accessible?

Also, does MiniDLNA support .ogg Vorbis? The DLNA spec does, as far as I know. I have thousands of .ogg files. When I connect a player like mediaMonkey to my miniDLNA, the ogg files do not get played, they get greyed out and skipped. FLAC and MP3 work fine, album art gets loaded....

Browsing the folders served by miniDLNA in my windows explorer I see that the file type is not correctly identified.

image.thumb.png.fcdb33d18919500371499a35aec4e709.png

FLAC is showing correctly, but not the OGG. The latter shows incorrectly as an "OGA" file.

Edited by Freedomfries
13 hours ago, Freedomfries said:

You can run this as a user. Is this necessary? The default is "nobody". As a test, I created a user "minidlna" and set that as my user to run the server as. This returns a fatal "bad user" error and the server doesn't launch.

if you want to run as a different user then you need to use the PUID and PGID variables to change it, see the bottom of the readme.md:-https://github.com/binhex/arch-minidlna

13 hours ago, Freedomfries said:

Also, I'm having trouble adding an extra media directory to the default directory.

In my config file, I have:

media_dir=/media
media_dir=/mnt/user/podcasts/

yeah this is common newbie mistake, you need to get your head around volume mappings in docker, see here for my explanation of it Q2:- https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/general.md

so either change /media to be /mnt/user and then in minidlna set it to /media/podcasts or create another volume mapping that points at host path /mnt/user/podcasts and has a container path of /podcasts, then set minidlna to look at /podcasts

7 hours ago, binhex said:

yeah this is common newbie mistake, you need to get your head around volume mappings in docker, see here for my explanation of it Q2:- https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/general.md

so either change /media to be /mnt/user and then in minidlna set it to /media/podcasts or create another volume mapping that points at host path /mnt/user/podcasts and has a container path of /podcasts, then set minidlna to look at /podcasts

I was in bed this morning thinking about it, and began suspecting my problem came from not having a volume mapping. I realized that since  a docker runs essentially in a sandbox, it doesn't have direct access to the array, and everything you do is through mappings. Thanks for confirming.

I do have another question about running the server. I noticed that when I run miniDLNA, my array no longer spins down after a certain time of being idle (I have it set to spin down after an hour to save power). Even if I'm not actively playing any media, it seems that the array stays spun up. Is there a way to configure this so that the array can spin down when idle?

Edited by Freedomfries
2 hours ago, Freedomfries said:

I noticed that when I run miniDLNA, my array no longer spins down after a certain time of being idle (I have it set to spin down after an hour to save power). Even if I'm not actively playing any media, it seems that the array stays spun up. Is there a way to configure this so that the array can spin down when idle?

yeah this will be probably due to minidlna app scanning for media changes and thus keeping your array drives spun up, im not aware of any setting to change this behaviour

edit - you could try this, change this line in the file /config/minidlna.conf:-

inotify=no

save and restart the container, this will of course mean if you add media then it will not appear until you restart the container.

Yeah I think I can live with manual scanning if this gives my array a chance to spin down when idle for a long time. My disks will be thankful over time. Thanks for all your help. I'm still bummed I have no access to 6000 of my tracks in .ogg format with this implementation of DLNA, though glad I got it to work. Maybe Emby's or plex's DLNA might be able to serve those. I was running a DLNA server within MediaMonkey from my windows desktop, and those worked. It just meant my tower computer had to be on all the time.

Edited by Freedomfries
  • 3 months later...

I've just noticed multiple occurrences of this message appearing in my system log:

Nov  8 21:35:58 Tower kernel: minidlnad[9980]: segfault at 20 ip 0000559ed8d47167 sp 00007ffd969bc770 error 4 in minidlnad[559ed8d1d000+2b000]

Does this indicate an issue withing this container, or is the message coming from somewhere else?

23 minutes ago, PeterB said:

I've just noticed multiple occurrences of this message appearing in my system log:

Nov  8 21:35:58 Tower kernel: minidlnad[9980]: segfault at 20 ip 0000559ed8d47167 sp 00007ffd969bc770 error 4 in minidlnad[559ed8d1d000+2b000]

Does this indicate an issue withing this container, or is the message coming from somewhere else?

i would guess its minidlna crashing, i have done a quick scan of my log as i use this container myself and i see no matches for 'segfault' in my log, so not sure what's causing it but it doesnt look to be normal behaviour for minidlna to crash regularly.

1 hour ago, binhex said:

i would guess its minidlna crashing, i have done a quick scan of my log as i use this container myself and i see no matches for 'segfault' in my log, so not sure what's causing it but it doesnt look to be normal behaviour for minidlna to crash regularly.

The minidlna daemon doesn't appear to be crashing - it still has process id 80 and has consumed 34 seconds of cpu time, and no indication in the log from the container.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...