Jump to content
binhex

[Support] binhex - NZBGet

164 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

@spall OK I bit the bullet and paid for a months worth of access to my fav Usenet provider cranked up nzbget and set encryption to yes and left the cipher field empty, then downloaded something and it went fine, full speed for my connection. So my theory is that openssl 1.1.x doesn't now support the weaker cipher your attempting to use, so try latest with no cipher defined.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post

@binhex

 

You were spot on. That never occurred to me.

 

For reference, anyone having a similar problem, I did the following:

 

1) SSH into unRAID

2) docker exec -it <container-id> bash

3) openssl ciphers -v

 

That will show you a list of the ciphers openssl supports. RC4-MD5 is indeed gone in openssl 1.1. Just need to match one up with your usenet provider (or blank works as binhex mentioned). I went with AES128-SHA and noticed no speed difference from before. Although there was a TLS handshake error right when nzbget starts, it resolves itself in a matter of seconds.

 

Thanks binhex! Sorry you had to drop a bit of cash. Much appreciated.

 

Edited by spall
additional comment

Share this post


Link to post

Link to video walkthrough on installing and configuring nzbget, created by 'Spaceinvader One' AKA @gridrunner:-

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi - according to cAdviser, nzbget appears to be taking up 4.06GiB in my docker image.  I installed as per the video above.

 

Is this normal?

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Cessquill said:

Hi - according to cAdviser, nzbget appears to be taking up 4.06GiB in my docker image.  I installed as per the video above.

 

Is this normal?

 

assuming cAdvisor is correct then no thats not normal, if however cAdvisor is getting confused due to the layering nature of docker images and/or calculating disk space by following symlinks then yes its probably fine. 

 

i guess a better question is have you correctly configured nzbget to write to /data for incomplete and complete downloads?. if not then downloads will be written inside the running container and you will quickly run out of space for the docker image file.

 

 

Edited by binhex

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, binhex said:

 

assuming cAdvisor is correct then no thats not normal, if however cAdvisor is getting confused due to the layering nature of docker images and/or calculating disk space by following symlinks then yes its probably fine. 

 

i guess a better question is have you correctly configured nzbget to write to /data for incomplete and complete downloads?. if not then downloads will be written inside the running container and you will quickly run out of space for the docker image file.

 

 

 

Thanks for that.  I think it's configured correctly, but I will double check.  By default, I think that all download folders hang off the data folder, which is mapped inside one of my shares.  I have only changed the settings that were recommended in the video (which made no changes to the download locations).

 

After looking at the thread about clearing out a docker image I found lots of files inside dockers that weren't installed (I've worded that badly, but orphaned folders).  I therefore recreated the image file.  I'll keep an eye on it though

Share this post


Link to post

Hey @binhex,

 

First off, amazing work on all of these containers. I've only just gotten started with unRaid, and am very pleased with the level of work that has been put into making everything all work together without much hassle whatsoever. That said, I am currently using your binhex-sabnzbdvpn container, but wanted to try nzbget as an alternative to compare interface and saturation rates. Is there any possibility in the future of offering a binhex-nzbgetvpn option? I see that @jshridha has a fork (docker-nzbgetvpn) but, I'm attempting to keep everything I can in (bin)house as possible for the moment while getting the server set up.

 

Thanks again for the containers, and for your reply!

 

~Omni

Edited by omninewb

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Guys,

 

I'm using NZBGetVPN, nice app.  Does anyone know if you can put a kill switch on this? Does it alrady have one built in?

What command would  I use to see what ip it is connected to just to verify it's working?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Hi Guys,
 
I'm using NZBGetVPN, nice app.  Does anyone know if you can put a kill switch on this? Does it alrady have one built in?
What command would  I use to see what ip it is connected to just to verify it's working?
 
Thanks
This is the wrong support thread, this is support for the non VPN version.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Update to the new stable version planned soon?  https://nzbget.net/history-latest
It's automated, as soon as it's available on arch repo it will be built

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post

Are you planning on adding a VPN / Privoxy version, like your Sab implementation? 

Share this post


Link to post
Are you planning on adding a VPN / Privoxy version, like your Sab implementation? 
No plans at the moment

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post

Is it possible to tunnel the traffic through the binhex-sab vpn ? I'm not going to use this without vpn ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, jj_uk said:

I'm not going to use this without vpn

Most usenet providers offer SSL connections, which fully secure the content of the data stream.

 

Your ISP is going to see a given quantity of traffic, regardless of whether it's through a VPN tunnel or SSL connection.

 

What are your reasons for needing a VPN? Is it advantageous for you to mask your originating IP from your usenet provider?

 

I'm curious if I'm missing a privacy vector here, as I've never seen a need to mask usenet traffic other than ensuring SSL transport. It's not like some random agency can insert themselves in the traffic like they can in a torrent cloud.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Most usenet providers offer SSL connections, which fully secure the content of the data stream.

 

Your ISP is going to see a given quantity of traffic, regardless of whether it's through a VPN tunnel or SSL connection.

 

What are your reasons for needing a VPN? Is it advantageous for you to mask your originating IP from your usenet provider?

 

I'm curious if I'm missing a privacy vector here, as I've never seen a need to mask usenet traffic other than ensuring SSL transport. It's not like some random agency can insert themselves in the traffic like they can in a torrent cloud.

 

usenet users are generally very cautious and slightly paranoid about privacy, the only vectors are a usenet provider who logs, and thus is logging your isp assigned ip address or real time viewing of activity by the bad guys. if you go with a descent usenet provider then you get no logging so thats that sorted, viewing real time activity at the usenet provider end, well yah possible but VERY VERY unlikely unless your a massive uploader, in short i personally would feel comfortable connecting to a usenet provider without vpn but some people may want the additional security, ive got a current count of 1 million+ downloads for sabnzbdvpn, so i guess there are lot of these out there lol :-

 

c4o9w.jpg?a424680

Share this post


Link to post

ISPs in the UK log all activity. That means each connection to usenet would be logged. SSL only hides the content; it doesn't hide the requests.

 

I think theres a website called i know what you downloaded, or something like that, that shows what your IP address has downloaded. VPN also covers this case.

Edited by jj_uk

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, jj_uk said:

ISPs in the UK log all activity. That means each connection to usenet would be logged. SSL only hides the content; it doesn't hide the requests.

 

sure but without knowing what content is being downloaded there is no risk, the worst a uk provider can do is block access to the usenet server, thats it.

 

14 minutes ago, jj_uk said:

I think theres a website called i know what you downloaded, or something like that, that shows what your IP address has downloaded. VPN also covers this case.

that site shows details of torrent downloads, not usenet, torrents are obviously a completely different kettle of fish.

Share this post


Link to post

Can the ISP see the endpoint? The request would surely contain information about what was being downloaded?

 

I dont want to use NZB without a VPN, so is it possible to route the traffic through the SAB container?

 

Or maybe a different OpenVPN/Privoxy 'gateway' type container, if such a thing exists (I couldn't find one).

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, jj_uk said:

Can the ISP see the endpoint? The request would surely contain information about what was being downloaded?

 

the isp would see traffic to/from the usenet servers ip and port, but thats all they would see, the rest is encrypted via ssl (assuming you use a provider that supports ssl), the isp would not have any visibility as to what was being transferred.

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, jj_uk said:

I dont want to use NZB without a VPN, so is it possible to route the traffic through the SAB container?

 

in a word no, the way i have designed it they are configured to block any external connections using ip tables, this prevents ip leakage at all times, it also means you cant start connecting to the tunnel from outside of the container (privoxy is an exception to this but only allows http/https).

 

15 minutes ago, jj_uk said:

Or maybe a different OpenVPN/Privoxy 'gateway' type container, if such a thing exists (I couldn't find one).

 

i dont know of one that exists that can do this.

Edited by binhex

Share this post


Link to post

So today I noticed all my downloads are stuck unpacking. They seem to unpack, delete and then start over and over. So files never get to steps. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, rmilyard said:

So today I noticed all my downloads are stuck unpacking. They seem to unpack, delete and then start over and over. So files never get to steps. 

 

Was coming here to see if anyone else noticed that too.  Did a lot of searching and it looks like there is a fix in the develop branch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, debit lagos said:

 

Was coming here to see if anyone else noticed that too.  Did a lot of searching and it looks like there is a fix in the develop branch.

 

Hope a fix is released soon!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now