[Support] binhex - Plex

• 2 weeks later...

Ran into the "No Soup For You" error with inability to access the server from anywhere.  Tried a couple of things but my eventual fix was in the Preferences.xml .  For some reason my allowed IP range showed 192.168.0/255.255.255.0.  I modified it to 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0,, restarted the container and I'm back in.

1 hour ago, DiniMuetter said:

Hello all

I could need your help. As you can see on the attached pictures, my PlexMediaServer is not accesable from outside. Did I missined something?

Does your router support UPnP (and if so is it enabled?) or did you set up a port forwarding rule in your router? 

You might try setting up a manual port forward in Plex even if you are using the standard port 32400.

That's what I do as I have disabled UPnP and set up a port forwarding rule for 32400.

Plex.png

Edited by Hoopster

I'll start with an apology as the problem is of my own making. The USB stick with the OS on failed so I reconstituted the server on the lastest version of Unraid, Recovered the array without error and the Docker containers have all restarted, but cannot find their template files.

Appdata has been set to cache preferred and mover is running.

I've searched the array for any other occurance of appdata and can't find any. So if there was anything, it would appear to have been moved.

FCP shows that the templates are mising - "Template URL for docker application PlexMediaServer is missing."

Usingthe FCP "Apply Fix" also refers me to the missing template, however there is one in GITHub, I could download an put in the required location.

When attempting to update Plex to the new version, the container update routine can't run without the template file.

Is there a way to recover from the corner I have painted myself into or is re-installation the solution?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Himself
5 hours ago, Himself said:

cannot find their template files

The templates are stored on flash in the config folder. You must always have a backup of flash. You can easily get a zipped backup of flash at Main - Boot Device - Flash - Flash Backup.

A new install of Unraid on flash, plus the config folder from a flash backup, are all that's needed to get going again just as before. That config folder contains all of your settings from the webUI, including disk assignments, and those missing templates.

5 hours ago, Himself said:

Is there a way to recover from the corner I have painted myself into or is re-installation the solution?

In order for you to be able to work with those dockers from the webUI, you have to have their templates. If you remove them then reinstall them using all the settings (which you have lost), then you will have templates to go with them. Appdata is unaffected by any of this since it is not on flash, and if you point a docker to the correct appdata with all of the other settings it will work as before.

None of this, of course, has anything to do with the particular docker this thread is about.

I'm pobviously missing something so basic a that I feel like a fool asking this question.

I've installed the docker, fired it up, all seems to be running, no obvious errors in the log files.

When I go to the WebGui and click on My media I get the following:

Add your media to Plex

Organize, beautify, stream, and share your personal collection of movies, TV, music, and photos anywhere, on all your devices. To get started, download our free Plex Media Server software on the device where you store your media.

I'm running the container so obviously I have PMS running.  I have an account registered on Plex but I haven't subscribed to any service which require payment yet.  I wanted to see how it goes with my devices before doing that.

Attached is the PMS log and below the docker config screen shot.  I know there's something obvious and basic I'm missing, but I don't know what.

plex1.thumb.png.e0128bb5d1215d5441e38afa7d9121d8.png

Plex Media Server.log

1 hour ago, dalben said:

I'm pobviously missing something so basic a that I feel like a fool asking this question.

I've installed the docker, fired it up, all seems to be running, no obvious errors in the log files.

When I go to the WebGui and click on My media I get the following:

Add your media to Plex

Organize, beautify, stream, and share your personal collection of movies, TV, music, and photos anywhere, on all your devices. To get started, download our free Plex Media Server software on the device where you store your media.

I'm running the container so obviously I have PMS running.  I have an account registered on Plex but I haven't subscribed to any service which require payment yet.  I wanted to see how it goes with my devices before doing that.

Attached is the PMS log and below the docker config screen shot.  I know there's something obvious and basic I'm missing, but I don't know what.

plex1.thumb.png.e0128bb5d1215d5441e38afa7d9121d8.png

Plex Media Server.log 46.36 kB · 0 downloads

Not sure I understand.

Have you ever used Plex?

Did you try to add any of your media? Adding media in Plex is something you do from within the Plex application, regardless of how you have mapped it in the docker.

Maybe a screenshot of what you are seeing in Plex would help me better understand.

3 hours ago, trurl said:

Have you ever used Plex?

Did you try to add any of your media? Adding media in Plex is something you do from within the Plex application, regardless of how you have mapped it in the docker.

Maybe a screenshot of what you are seeing in Plex would help me better understand.

No, never used Plex before so there's no doubt I'm doing something stupid.  Always used Kodi but Santa dropped off a Smart TV early that has a Plex app so I thought I'd give it a go.

I see the following from the Web interface (http://my.server.ip:32400/web/) and from the Windows client I've installed (screen shot below).  I can't see where I can add my media to Plex.  

plex2.thumb.png.882e36dd5de0aeea2bd124e3c584d70a.png

That looks like the screenshot from your Windows client instead of from the server. I just opened mine and it looks like you can do it from there but I always just use the webUI to manage plex.

On the left, it is showing your pinned content. So far you only have the builtin web content (I actually unpin most of that).

Click on MORE >

That will show all of your content, and at the top will be your servername. There will be a + next to it (mouseover if you don't see it). Click that and it will bring up the Add Library wizard. Just work through that, using the container paths from your docker mappings to find your media. In your case you just have the one mapping, which gives your video share at /media inside plex.

12 hours ago, trurl said:

That looks like the screenshot from your Windows client instead of from the server. I just opened mine and it looks like you can do it from there but I always just use the webUI to manage plex.

On the left, it is showing your pinned content. So far you only have the builtin web content (I actually unpin most of that).

Click on MORE >

That will show all of your content, and at the top will be your servername. There will be a + next to it (mouseover if you don't see it). Click that and it will bring up the Add Library wizard. Just work through that, using the container paths from your docker mappings to find your media. In your case you just have the one mapping, which gives your video share at /media inside plex.

It was the same behavior from the webgui on the server.  My servername never appeared at the top left above the content.

I have it up now, but with the official container from Plex.  I tried the linuxserver plex container and had the same behavior as this binhex one.  I then installed the official plex container and it finally showed me where I could add media.

The only difference between the 3 dockers that I could see was the official one made you "claim" your server.  Not sure if that matters or not but I'm up.

So I had the latest binhex-Plex working just fine.  Today I moved Plex behind a reverse proxy and something seems to have stopped working properly.  The WebUI is no longer available to the container and Plex is not available via my local IP.  Oddly enough it works via Plex.tv and the reverse proxy.

I tried to change the container back to normal, outside the proxy but the WebUI is still not available if I right click the container.  According to some reading in this thread, it might be a permission issue.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  I tried deleting the perms.txt file but it didn't seem to do any good.

I'd like it in the reverse proxy but it's honestly not necessary.  I do want to run it locally.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

7 hours ago, clambert said:

So I had the latest binhex-Plex working just fine.  Today I moved Plex behind a reverse proxy and something seems to have stopped working properly.  The WebUI is no longer available to the container and Plex is not available via my local IP.  Oddly enough it works via Plex.tv and the reverse proxy.

I tried to change the container back to normal, outside the proxy but the WebUI is still not available if I right click the container.  According to some reading in this thread, it might be a permission issue.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  I tried deleting the perms.txt file but it didn't seem to do any good.

I'd like it in the reverse proxy but it's honestly not necessary.  I do want to run it locally.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

So I got this back just by deleting the container and copying over the old data.  Is there a way to get this to work properly in a reverse proxy or isn't it such a good idea?  Really I suppose it's unnecessary.

So I got this back just by deleting the container and copying over the old data.  Is there a way to get this to work properly in a reverse proxy or isn't it such a good idea?  Really I suppose it's unnecessary.
I can't comment on whether it's possible to reverse proxy Plex, but I can say it's unnecessary, Plex use tls 1.2 certs to encrypt the connection from your server to Plex Inc, reverse proxy will give you no added security.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
On 12/21/2019 at 7:47 PM, dalben said:

It was the same behavior from the webgui on the server.  My servername never appeared at the top left above the content.

I have it up now, but with the official container from Plex.  I tried the linuxserver plex container and had the same behavior as this binhex one.  I then installed the official plex container and it finally showed me where I could add media.

The only difference between the 3 dockers that I could see was the official one made you "claim" your server.  Not sure if that matters or not but I'm up.

once in the web gui you still have to add the folders to plex. lets add movies. click on more> this will bring you into media.

hover over the movies tab. you will see 3 dots click on them. go down to manage library and click on edit. this will open the edit movies window. from there select add folder and navigate to your movies folder and add it. rinse and repeat for your other media.

Edited by macros the black
4 hours ago, macros the black said:

once in the web gui you still have to add the folders to plex. lets add movies. click on more> this will bring you into media.

hover over the movies tab. you will see 3 dots click on them. go down to manage library and click on edit. this will open the edit movies window. from there select add folder and navigate to your movies folder and add it. rinse and repeat for your other media.

As above, I just didn't have the option to do that with this container nor the lsio container.  By installing the official plex container it all came good and the option was there.  I've now run this and the lsio container over the appdata directory the official container created and they now both work fine.

Maybe it was just my setup.  Anyway, all good now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2020 at 6:03 AM, superloopy1 said:

Just a general plex question ... i have set up a 'basic' plex server which is working just fine for local content only. I have been given a plexpass gift for xmas. How (can?) i integrate it into my existing server with minimal fuss?

Once the plexpass is associated with your plex account, connect to your plex server using the web interface.  Logout of your plex account, then login again.  You’re done.  You now have all the features of plexpass.  Binhex’s plexpass docker gives you access to beta releases, not additional features.

Edited by aim60

Hey I’m hoping you guys can help me out. Plex is no longer functional for me, giving me an error about too many retries and it entered a fatal state. This happened once before and I had to fix it with deleting my database files. I would really like to avoid that this time. Does anyone know of a fix and can I avoid this in the future?

16 minutes ago, Aeonofgods said:

Hey I’m hoping you guys can help me out. Plex is no longer functional for me, giving me an error about too many retries and it entered a fatal state. This happened once before and I had to fix it with deleting my database files. I would really like to avoid that this time. Does anyone know of a fix and can I avoid this in the future?

the fix for database corruption (if this indeed is your issue again) is to upgrade to unraid 6.8.0, unraid 6.7.x caused random sqlite database corruption.

13 minutes ago, binhex said:

the fix for database corruption (if this indeed is your issue again) is to upgrade to unraid 6.8.0, unraid 6.7.x caused random sqlite database corruption.

Dang I did not know that, so I still have to delete my database files? I know it was set to back up every day, could I restore from that?