[Support] binhex - Plex

13 hours ago, Maddeen said:

so I think in this case is the difference to be able to use plexpass-user features - right?

no thats not correct, plex and plex-pass docker images both can run plex pass features (assuming you have the subscription/lifetime), the difference is that plex pass gets early access to new features, think of it as beta software, as things can and do break!, if you want an easy life stick with this image and not plex pass. 

13 hours ago, Maddeen said:

But where's the difference between the offical plexinc release and your "standard" binhex-plex docker?

different developers building the image, different base os, different build systems, and of course support for unraid users is only from myself not plex inc, the actual end result is the same from either docker image.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Spritzup said:

@binhex just a quick question regarding how you've set your container up for transcoding.  What is the purpose of having the "TRANS_DIR" variable, vs just having a path mapping and putting the transcode directory properly in the Plex settings?

Thanks you!

~Spritz

it should be the same thing (not tested tbh), one is done via an environment variable, the other is done through the web ui, other than that i believe the effect is the same, some may say the env var is actually a little more convenient as its easy to change and exposed in the config, and of course saved with your other docker configuration for the container.

On 5/4/2020 at 5:24 AM, binhex said:

login to plex via browser, go to settings/transcoder and see if you have a hard coded path set for 'Transcoder temporary directory', if so remove everything in there, save changes and restart the container.

The field is empty in Plex. I'm thinking about starting over with correct parameters set from the very beginning. 

6 hours ago, binhex said:

it should be the same thing (not tested tbh), one is done via an environment variable, the other is done through the web ui, other than that i believe the effect is the same, some may say the env var is actually a little more convenient as its easy to change and exposed in the config, and of course saved with your other docker configuration for the container.

So in theory, I could delete the variable from the container and simply use path mapping... assuming I configured it correctly from the Web UI?  As you said though, this is currently untested.

~Spritz

1 hour ago, Spritzup said:

So in theory, I could delete the variable from the container and simply use path mapping

if you deleted the variable it will still set, as i have a built in default of /config/tmp if its unset, and if you set it in the gui as well im unsure which takes precedence. 

Hey guys!

After watching Spaceinvader One's video about migrating Plex library with rsync, I tried it last night.

After the procedure I started the docker back up and had no troubles. But checking Active Streams, I realized that a lot of Plug-In Support and Log files were being read or written.

I tried erasing those Log and Plug-ins but finally I broke my Plex. I pointed the container to the old Appdata and everything was fine as before the rsync.

Also, with the old appdata folder, no file were being read or written.

What do you think could be causing this?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Sanches said:

Hey guys!

After watching Spaceinvader One's video about migrating Plex library with rsync, I tried it last night.

possibly incorrect or missing rsync options would be my guess, what rsync command did you issue?

1 hour ago, Sanches said:

But checking Active Streams, I realized that a lot of Plug-In Support and Log files were being read or written.

im not really sure what you mean by this, i would expect log files to be written to, so this sounds normal to me.

4 hours ago, binhex said:

possibly incorrect or missing rsync options would be my guess, what rsync command did you issue?

im not really sure what you mean by this, i would expect log files to be written to, so this sounds normal to me.

Thanks for your reply

I'm using "sudo rsync -avh source destination"

All other containers worked fine after the migration. Only Plex is having this issue.

There's a Plug-in for Unraid that shows active files in the server.

When Plex runs using the old location and I check this plug-in, no file shows as being used (unless while playback).

When I point the container to the new location, a bunch of files start to be read/written.

Hope I've explained a little better.

For some reason after the copy Plex is reading and writing this files nonstop.

Today I'll try to copy the appdata using "cp".

I'll let you know tomorrow

Cheers

I don't believe this is a problem with the Docker but this was the Topic closest to my problem to ask for help

Just sharing more info:

Before Unraid, I had this appdata on Windows 8.

Crazy thing. After the first problem, when I came back to the old appdata, some of my friends who I share the server with, had 0 libraries shared with them.

And I didn't change their sharings...just crazy...just with some users

LOL

Probably this plugin Active Streams doesn't show opened files from Unassigned Devices (where my old Plex appdata has located)

Once I started the Plex docker with the appdata in the cache, this files are now showing up but that doesn't mean they were not being used before.

If that's the case... just LOL

• 1 month later...

Hey all!

Possible stupid question, but I can't seem to find an answer using a simple Google search.

Currently, I am having difficulty with performance and some playing some titles via my Firestick using the Plex app. I figured updating the server might fix some of those issues.

When I use the WebUI, I see there is an update available for the server. However, in Unraid there is no option to update.

Simply put, how do I update my Plex docker if I can't do it from the Unraid GUI?

25 minutes ago, shinfo44 said:

Simply put, how do I update my Plex docker if I can't do it from the Unraid GUI?

If restarting the container does not force an update, you have to wait until the container is updated and unRAID docker screen says an update is available.

You should not update from within the Plex UI itself even though it says an update is available.

I am using the Linuxserver Plex container and restarting the docker container forces an update if one is available for the container.

In your case, perhaps the Binhex Plex container has not yet been updated to the latest.

If restarting the container does not force an update, you have to wait until the container is updated and unRAID docker screen says an update is available.

You should not update from within the Plex UI itself even though it says an update is available.

I am using the Linuxserver Plex container and restarting the docker container forces an update if one is available for the container.

In your case, perhaps the Binhex Plex container has not yet been updated to the latest.
The image is fully up to date and I see no prompt to upgrade. Click on check for updates and if there are any then apply update.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, binhex said:

you can't, most people do not need to run multiple instances tbh, any reason you want to do that?.

using different sources for the library

i guess i could run them all in the same container, but this way i can copy all the database/metadata without having to re-analyse all the files. and i can stop the second one when not in use

3 minutes ago, cinereus said:

using different sources for the library

you can absolutely do that in one container, just add multiple volume mappings to your source media.

4 minutes ago, cinereus said:

i guess i could run them all in the same container, but this way i can copy all the database/metadata without having to re-analyse all the files.

plex is clever enough to not re-index all your media when something changes, it will only analyse and create metadata for files that change.

4 minutes ago, cinereus said:

and i can stop the second one when not in use

better to not have a second one at all :-).

the choice is of course yours, but you will need to switch to another container or figure out the large number of ports you would need to define if you want to run it in bridge mode.

2 minutes ago, binhex said:

plex is clever enough to not re-index all your media when something changes, it will only analyse and create metadata for files that change.

You're missing the point. I have the same dataset locally and remotely. I want a second container for the remote data so I can have a "backup" plex instance.

If I add it as a new library with new volume mappings to the original plex container, plex will have to reindex all the files from the remote storage. If I just create a second container I can copy/paste the metadata and not have to reindex the files.

5 minutes ago, cinereus said:

You're missing the point. I have the same dataset locally and remotely.

if the media is the same in both locations then in a disaster situation (all local media wiped) you would stop the container, change the path to point at your remote media location and start the container, as far as plex is concerned nothing will of changed and everything carries on, no need to copy metadata around.

9 minutes ago, binhex said:

if the media is the same in both locations then in a disaster situation (all local media wiped) you would stop the container, change the path to point at your remote media location and start the container, as far as plex is concerned nothing will of changed and everything carries on, no need to copy metadata around.

I want both concurrently available though.