[Support] binhex - Plex

On 12/10/2020 at 4:25 AM, binhex said:

i have no idea what is causing your reoccurring updates, i would suspect an issue with the docker image or even perhaps the cache drive and/or filesystem. As this is not directly related to an issue with this image (image is fine) i would advise posting this in 'Docker Engine', link here:- https://forums.unraid.net/forum/58-docker-engine/ you might want to include a diagnostics dump by going to Tools/Diagnostics and click on download and attaching the zip to your post.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I'll give that a go.

I hope this is the correct space for this, please let me know if not. 

Let me start with some background...

This is a new issue that arose after a series of previous events

TL;DR:

• Failing HDD after a power outage (I do have a UPS, long story)
  • I moved all data from bad HDD onto existing HDDs
  • I shrunk the array in unRAID in order to remove the disk

Everything seemed to working okay, but I soon found out that only some media was not playing. I dug further and found that it is only not playing if it's trying to transcode, and further, this only occurs on some clients. The same file will transcode fine to one client, but not to a different one (different client OS/hardware). 

I have tried rolling back Docker versions, but it didn't help. 

I tried changing transcoding directories from /tmp to /dev/shm and this actually changed the behavior of the issue. Instead of just being stuck on the play screen indefinitely, it would now display an error saying the disk does not have enough free space for the transcode (paraphrasing). I googled it and didn't find any further help. 

My next step was going to be to transcode to the `appdata/binhex-plex/transcode` folder on an SSD cache drive, but I couldn't get this to work. Any idea how to do this, or is there something else I should try?

unRAID Version: 6.8.3

binhex/arch-plex:1.20.5.3600-1-01

I can provide logs if you think it's necessary.

21 hours ago, 96dpi said:

I hope this is the correct space for this, please let me know if not. 

Let me start with some background...

This is a new issue that arose after a series of previous events

TL;DR:

• Failing HDD after a power outage (I do have a UPS, long story)
  • I moved all data from bad HDD onto existing HDDs
  • I shrunk the array in unRAID in order to remove the disk

Everything seemed to working okay, but I soon found out that only some media was not playing. I dug further and found that it is only not playing if it's trying to transcode, and further, this only occurs on some clients. The same file will transcode fine to one client, but not to a different one (different client OS/hardware). 

I have tried rolling back Docker versions, but it didn't help. 

I tried changing transcoding directories from /tmp to /dev/shm and this actually changed the behavior of the issue. Instead of just being stuck on the play screen indefinitely, it would now display an error saying the disk does not have enough free space for the transcode (paraphrasing). I googled it and didn't find any further help. 

My next step was going to be to transcode to the `appdata/binhex-plex/transcode` folder on an SSD cache drive, but I couldn't get this to work. Any idea how to do this, or is there something else I should try?

unRAID Version: 6.8.3

binhex/arch-plex:1.20.5.3600-1-01

I can provide logs if you think it's necessary.

take a look at Q1:- https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/plex.md

I'm having remote access issues with plex and no idea how to fix it(I just want to watch ben 10 at work)…. Usually when remote access stops working for me I do a fresh install of unraid, but this is only a temporary fix usually I don't port forward anything and plex remote access just works fine. The issue I have with port forwarding is that on my router my server address is 10.0.0.4 but the router keeps changing it to 10.0.0.2 my default DHCP server start range. I have comcast and have to use the app to port forward and ill attach images to show what I mean so I am wondering if anyone has a fix or knows how to fix it. 

Strange one, but recently at 20:47 every night Plex seems to quit unexpectedly. Any ideas?

2021-01-01 20:47:01,863 DEBG fd 8 closed, stopped monitoring <POutputDispatcher at 23174147719024 for <Subprocess at 23174147716144 with name plexmediaserver in state RUNNING> (stdout)>
2021-01-01 20:47:01,863 DEBG fd 10 closed, stopped monitoring <POutputDispatcher at 23174147715808 for <Subprocess at 23174147716144 with name plexmediaserver in state RUNNING> (stderr)>
2021-01-01 20:47:01,863 INFO exited: plexmediaserver (terminated by SIGKILL; not expected)
2021-01-01 20:47:01,863 DEBG received SIGCHLD indicating a child quit

So it turns out it also does it at the same time in the morning:

2021-01-03 08:47:02,648 DEBG fd 8 closed, stopped monitoring <POutputDispatcher at 22888866770800 for <Subprocess at 22888866767920 with name plexmediaserver in state RUNNING> (stdout)>
2021-01-03 08:47:02,649 DEBG fd 10 closed, stopped monitoring <POutputDispatcher at 22888866767584 for <Subprocess at 22888866767920 with name plexmediaserver in state RUNNING> (stderr)>
2021-01-03 08:47:02,649 INFO exited: plexmediaserver (terminated by SIGKILL; not expected)
2021-01-03 08:47:02,649 DEBG received SIGCHLD indicating a child quit
2021-01-03 08:47:02,651 INFO spawned: 'plexmediaserver' with pid 6749
2021-01-03 08:47:03,652 INFO success: plexmediaserver entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)

Having an issue with plex not playing certian shows/files. Others play just fine. It seems to be an audio transcoding issue. Plexweb console shows this error over and over while trying to load a video:

[Transcoder] [eac3_eae @ 0x72be00] EAE timeout! EAE not running, or wrong folder? Could not read '/config/transcode/pms-95b2194a-a9e2-4e99-ac6d-c8ad804e6945/EasyAudioEncoder/Convert to WAV (to 8ch or less)/bf06286f-1d71-4930-947e-a38b2a08d3dd_2440-0-452.wav'

So it seems to be an issue only with EAC3 transcodes I think. Also, I am using an Nvidia Quadro P2000 for transcoding (video only I'm pretty sure).

Transcode is currently mapped to /config/transcode with appdata set to prefer cache. Not sure how to fix this. I have changed nothing in the setup for about a year, other than updating to new builds. Just updated a day ago I think, so it might be related to that.

Edit:

While waiting for a response, I did a little searching and found others with a similar issue. I ended up finding one person who said that if you stop the docker, then delete the contents of the codecs folder it forces plex to redownload the codecs when you start it back up and try to play something with the offending codec which can resolve the issue. Happy to report this solved the issue for me, in case anyone has a similar issue.

Edited by jebusfreek666
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Ive having issues finding my UnRaid Plex server to show up in my Plex account.  I can login to the local.ip:32400/web address and i can even use plex.tv to authenticate my local.ip server.  But when i go to settings, i don't see my UnRaid server at all.

However, if i install PMS on my HTPC (Win 10), i can login to the htpc.IP:32400/web and authenticate that server.  And i can see it in my plex.tv account and claim it.  When i go to the settings, i can set up the HTPC.

I can't do that with my UnRaid Plex server however.

Ive been trying to figure this out for the last few days and im at lost.

Did i miss a step installing the binhex_plexpass?

• 2 weeks later...

As a new Unraider I'm absolutely loving all your containers Binhex. Thanks so much for all your hard work!

One question regarding this Plex docker though - I set it all up and got into the GUI with no issues at all, started configuring the server, organising libraries and confirmed remote access was working. At some point out of curiosity I then clicked on a link within the settings that took me to a Plex webpage for paid services, and ever since I have been unable to access the GUI again.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? I am using Firefox, have disabled browser extensions that might get in the way, and am still able to access GUI's for my other Dockers without issue.

I have recently updated to Version: 6.9.0-rc2 and attempted to get hardware transcoding to work for Plex via GPU passthrough (GTX 1060).

I have the Nvidia Driver Package installed; added the extra parameters and Nvidia driver capabilities and visible devices variables to the plex docker. Hardware transcoding is enabled in plex, however it will not use my GPU to hw transcode - using my CPU only.

I have checked using the watch nvidia-smi command in the console, as well as used the GPU statistics utility.

Screenshots attached.

Am I missing something? Did I do something wrong?

746993376_NvidiaDriverPackageScreen.thumb.png.2d5aea2b4e5b8133ef2c49102372a743.png288979832_PlexDashboard.png.38654ff1d2932a5f5f5a2c14605e86dc.png1662214208_PlexDocker.thumb.png.01b019cac43fd1f851718daceadb4610.png1010722926_PlexTranscoderSettings.thumb.png.e1d69561c3b00ec197f15c4cd0cd4b37.png

Can anyone help?   When I click on Plex and select Webui, the browser opens a new tab and the page never loads.  This is very frustrating to me, since this happened on my last plex install, and I finally bit the bullet, removed binhex-plex and installed the Plex fresh this time (new appdata as I removed everything from the previous install)    1 week in, and I’ve lost the web gui again.

Details below:

Unraid version 6.8.3

Network type: Custom: Br0

IP:  192.168.1.112

Port 32400

YES – the app is running fine in all other ways.

YES – it is accessible to people outside my home and on plex.tv

YES – I can log into plex.tv and monitor and make changes to my plex server remotely

YES – When I installed this, I created a fresh metadata in the appdata folder.  I feel like I should have moved it somewhere else though, as I have a very large database.

YES-  I CAN ping 192.168.1.112 from my pc

YES – I have checked my router and all the port forwarding is done correctly  (no changes were made here anyway, just better to be safe than sorry)

YES – I have flushed my DNS and tried connecting from different devices on the local network and it doesn’t work.

YES – every other container/app is working fine.  I even moved one to a new ip to test and yes, it still worked also.

NO – It is not accessible using my external IP  (it used to be, when I first set it up) and the 32400 port

MAYBE RELATED:    When I rebooted Unraid it took 20 minutes for the gui to appear.  I have no idea why, it certainly freaked me out.  I normally run the server headless, but even on the server itself there was no gui for approx. 20 minutes.  Once it popped up, everything is running fine except the Plex gui.

Does anyone have any ideas?   It takes so long to create new meta data and fix covers, create collections, etc.

On 2/9/2021 at 10:09 PM, PoppaJohn said:

Can anyone help?   When I click on Plex and select Webui, the browser opens a new tab and the page never loads.  This is very frustrating to me, since this happened on my last plex install, and I finally bit the bullet, removed binhex-plex and installed the Plex fresh this time (new appdata as I removed everything from the previous install)    1 week in, and I’ve lost the web gui again.

Details below:

Unraid version 6.8.3

Network type: Custom: Br0

IP:  192.168.1.112

Port 32400

YES – the app is running fine in all other ways.

YES – it is accessible to people outside my home and on plex.tv

YES – I can log into plex.tv and monitor and make changes to my plex server remotely

YES – When I installed this, I created a fresh metadata in the appdata folder.  I feel like I should have moved it somewhere else though, as I have a very large database.

YES-  I CAN ping 192.168.1.112 from my pc

YES – I have checked my router and all the port forwarding is done correctly  (no changes were made here anyway, just better to be safe than sorry)

YES – I have flushed my DNS and tried connecting from different devices on the local network and it doesn’t work.

YES – every other container/app is working fine.  I even moved one to a new ip to test and yes, it still worked also.

NO – It is not accessible using my external IP  (it used to be, when I first set it up) and the 32400 port

MAYBE RELATED:    When I rebooted Unraid it took 20 minutes for the gui to appear.  I have no idea why, it certainly freaked me out.  I normally run the server headless, but even on the server itself there was no gui for approx. 20 minutes.  Once it popped up, everything is running fine except the Plex gui.

Does anyone have any ideas?   It takes so long to create new meta data and fix covers, create collections, etc.

If you are leaning towards an Unraid issue - I would check your Unraid logs and post them if anything seems out of place. Curious if any of your drives are having issues or errors?

My Plex Docker has dissapeared. Has been running fine ever since I set it up about 3 months ago. We watch movies/shows/etc every day since it was installed.

Just opened plex on our TV and it says our server is not found.

Went and checked Unraid and the Plex Docker is gone ???

The Plex-Media-Server files are still in the appdata folder and I have a backups of the appdata folder each night.

Should I just re-install the Plex Docker again ?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I've started having some weird Plex behaviour over the last 24 hours. Yesterday I started getting  Error code: 4294967283 when trying to playback content locally on my Windows PC. A few of my users also reported no longer being able to access the server.

This morning I rebooted the Unraid server, and am now getting no dice at all from Plex: Execution error / Server error is the message being thrown up when I try to start the container.

The only change made to anything at all leading up to the issue was changing the number of disks in the array that some of the Shares related to Plex can use to store files. These were increased to all drives as I had inadvertently limited it to two drive previously.

I have attached a log, any thoughts from the Guru's would be much appreciated. Don't mind reinstalling the docker at this point but figure it's worth checking to see if there is a fix first. Cheers

themagiceye-diagnostics-20210305-1848 (Plex).zip

So OK I'm upgraded to 6.9 and installed the new nvidia plugin. Plex docker would not run so I removed the legacy nvidia enteries I had added:

1295132495_current_nvidia_plexsettings_LI(2).thumb.jpg.d1fc82258ad53b1c63487734ad681246.jpg

I clicked apply and then *poof* the docker image was gone!

1.  Where are my setting stored? Can to make a copy before I make any changes.

2. Can I reinstall / re-download the docker again? Will it overwrite my current settings?

Why did it happen?

Edited by IrishBiker