[Support] binhex - Plex Pass

I am seeing the same thing that others have reported; Plex just keeps crashing its connection out. I can access via local IP to check the GUI but even that is buggy.  In addtition to the repeated crashes of PLEX MEDIA SERVER to the Crash Reports, I'm also seeing that its not reporting anything from the system beyond a blip of the CPU before it refreshes to nothing. I've tried downgrading to a previous version and the Plex docker did the same thing: Start and crash. Start and Crash.

image.thumb.png.80f8cebc20ccf15c0cf89265fb6a80f3.png  thing I n

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I'm trying to add my shares to this. but my shares are split into tv shows and movies and not under one blanket folder called media.

I tried add 2 separate paths that lead to media in the container but I get an error and the docker crashers. The way I added the second path was to copy the container path and then edit the host path to my other share. 

It tells me I can't have a duplicate of the media path

Am I missing something or?

Edited by stylus
20 minutes ago, stylus said:

It tells me I can't have a duplicate of the media path

Yes, you need to have a unique container path for each host path.

Just a suggestion, but maybe remove the default /media path, and create 2 new paths, /TV and /Movies. Then in plex point to those paths instead of /media.

I am unable to start my binhex-plespass container after making some changes a couple nights ago. I added some SSDs and created two new cache pools, one of them for plex appdata. I made the changes following SpaceInvader's video using rsync. Now when I start the container, I get this in the logs:

2021-06-05 07:04:36.035044 [info] Host is running unRAID 
2021-06-05 07:04:36.065760 [info] System information Linux Isidore 5.10.28-Unraid #1 SMP Wed Apr 7 08:23:18 PDT 
2021 x86_64 GNU/Linux 2021-06-05 07:04:36.102983 [info] OS_ARCH defined as 'x86-64' 
2021-06-05 07:04:36.139760 [info] PUID defined as '99' 
2021-06-05 07:04:36.180839 [info] PGID defined as '100' 
2021-06-05 07:04:37.515121 [info] UMASK defined as '000' 
2021-06-05 07:04:37.550787 [info] Permissions already set for volume mappings 
2021-06-05 07:04:37.587446 [info] Deleting files in /tmp (non recursive)... 
2021-06-05 07:04:37.627241 [info] TRANS_DIR defined as '/tmp' 
2021-06-05 07:04:37.667138 [info] Starting Supervisor... 
2021-06-05 07:04:44,863 INFO Included extra file "/etc/supervisor/conf.d/plexmediaserver.conf" during parsing 
2021-06-05 07:04:44,863 INFO Set uid to user 0 succeeded 
2021-06-05 07:04:44,950 INFO supervisord started with pid 7 
2021-06-05 07:04:45,953 INFO spawned: 'plexmediaserver' with pid 63 
2021-06-05 07:04:45,956 INFO spawned: 'shutdown-script' with pid 64 
2021-06-05 07:04:45,956 INFO reaped unknown pid 8 (exit status 0) 
2021-06-05 07:04:46,957 INFO success: plexmediaserver entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs) 
2021-06-05 07:04:46,957 INFO success: shutdown-script entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 0 seconds (startsecs)

I've been fiddling with it for the last day and a half and can't seem to find the problem. Every time I change something I still get the "shutdown-script entered RUNNING state" as the last entry in the logs. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

isidore-syslog-20210606-0135.zip

Hello, 

I was using a different Plex docker, but was having a codec issue that randomly started up, and since I use a decent number of Binhex dockers, I decided to switch to this one.  

I work from home, and use the desktop Sonos controller to access my plex and listen to audiobooks that I have on my plex while I am working.  On the last plex system I used, it would save my location when I stopped listening, and I would just push play and it would start back up again.  With this one, after about 30 min it stops and goes back to the beginning.  It wouldn't be a big deal if each track was only a few min long, but some books are all one track 12-15 hours long, and can become difficult to remember where I was.

Is it possible a change can be made so it can remember maintain that connection and remember where it is? This is the only thing that I changed when this started up, and the sonos app remembers where I am when playing Spotify or something different.  

I'm not sure if you would need logs/diagnostics or not, but here they are.

From Plex--the first was when I started listening, the second was after I had stopped.
2021-06-10 03:52:37,811 DEBG 'plexmediaserver' stderr output:
__code__:183: FutureWarning: The behavior of this method will change in future versions. Use specific 'len(elem)' or 'elem is not None' test instead.

2021-06-10 09:19:16,237 DEBG 'plexmediaserver' stderr output:
Connection to 104.237.138.40 closed by remote host.

2021-06-10 09:40:41,480 DEBG 'plexmediaserver' stderr output:
Connection to 72.14.186.199 closed by remote host.

tower-syslog-20210610-1522.zip tower-diagnostics-20210610-1023.zip

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2021 at 1:00 AM, FlyingTexan said:

Plex has lost it's mapping,

im assuming by that you mean ports right?, if so its always been like this as this particular docker runs in 'host' mode NOT 'bridge' and therefore there are no ports defined.

Hi everybody

i've a "little" problem. I can't update my Plexserver because it needs a manual update. So I dowloaded the update *.deb by GUImode site but, since I'm a Unraid beginner, I don't know how I've to do the manual update without loosing all my previous Plex setting! 

Tks 

22 minutes ago, Alcarimon said:

Hi everybody

i've a "little" problem. I can't update my Plexserver because it needs a manual update. So I dowloaded the update *.deb by GUImode site but, since I'm a Unraid beginner, I don't know how I've to do the manual update without loosing all my previous Plex setting! 

Tks 

You have to wait for the docker to be updated.

• Thanks 1
On 6/10/2021 at 10:34 AM, coltonc18 said:

Hello, 

I was using a different Plex docker, but was having a codec issue that randomly started up, and since I use a decent number of Binhex dockers, I decided to switch to this one.  

I work from home, and use the desktop Sonos controller to access my plex and listen to audiobooks that I have on my plex while I am working.  On the last plex system I used, it would save my location when I stopped listening, and I would just push play and it would start back up again.  With this one, after about 30 min it stops and goes back to the beginning.  It wouldn't be a big deal if each track was only a few min long, but some books are all one track 12-15 hours long, and can become difficult to remember where I was.

Is it possible a change can be made so it can remember maintain that connection and remember where it is? This is the only thing that I changed when this started up, and the sonos app remembers where I am when playing Spotify or something different.  

I'm not sure if you would need logs/diagnostics or not, but here they are.

From Plex--the first was when I started listening, the second was after I had stopped.
2021-06-10 03:52:37,811 DEBG 'plexmediaserver' stderr output:
__code__:183: FutureWarning: The behavior of this method will change in future versions. Use specific 'len(elem)' or 'elem is not None' test instead.

2021-06-10 09:19:16,237 DEBG 'plexmediaserver' stderr output:
Connection to 104.237.138.40 closed by remote host.

2021-06-10 09:40:41,480 DEBG 'plexmediaserver' stderr output:
Connection to 72.14.186.199 closed by remote host.

tower-syslog-20210610-1522.zip 45.66 kB · 0 downloads tower-diagnostics-20210610-1023.zip 239.83 kB · 0 downloads

I'm just posting an update on this, since I figured it out....It had been so long since I originally setup Plex I obviously had forgotten, but didnt see anything when I search.  So incase anyone else comes looking.

If you go under the library you have and click Manage Library, then edit, Advanced, Store track Progress will make Plex remember and resume from your previous listening position.  

Hopefully someone can help because I'm about to go mad.

I have a Plex server up and running on a NUC on my network.  

I have added a new Plex installed docker on my unraid server (different physical machine, different IP).

When I open up the container from the docker tab in unraid, even though It's a brand new install it shows my my users the only thing I can do is select one and then I appear to be logged into my NUC instance of Plex.

How can I get to the NEW unraid docker version of Plex and set it up and start using it for access.  I've tried putting in the unraid server address directly (10.0.0.11:32400) and I get the same behavior.

Maddening!!!

Hi All,

I know that this has been answered, but I'm still a bit confused.

It looks like I'm still having transcoding problems when I'm trying to transcode to RAM.  I did follow @binhex FAQ on transcoding to RAM:

image.png.319b5783524c7887a453ce029f28d5e4.png

image.png.9405f823fbe6acfd2826cae6fb10cf73.png

I'm just a bit loss in Plex...

Do I need to set the transcoder temporary directory to a path?  I currently have /transcode as the path.

I'm also using a P2000 and have hardware transcode enabled and that seems to be working fine when the transcode start for the beginning.  If I were to change the quality manually it just spins and never changes the transcode.

Also I'm getting these warnings in my logs:

image.thumb.png.8d613cf63e5ed2f10aa46a5e10e0b228.png

This is the messages when I change quality on a stream from chrome.

image.thumb.png.06b558319fcd8b7e250f4de03ff934e2.png

I think I might be over thinking this too.

Thanks in advance...

Edited by APD189
added PMS logs
  • Like 1

Hi everybody,

the following "issue" is more of a question than it is a real concern for me.

As you all know in the last day there were a few updates available, so I downloaded them and everything worked fine.

Since then I recognized an higher idle power usage reported bei my ups and I got a bit suspicious after a little bit of digging I found out that my binhex-plexpass docker is utilizing more system resources after the update than before. Which would be fine with me if it got any new features or something so I looked up the official change notes but there almost only bug fixes done in this release (1.23.4.4805).

Now that another update (1.23.5.4801) came out just hours later, I thought maybe something was causing problems in the older release but the docker still is utilizing the same "higher" amount of system resources.

my system reported on the binhex docker:

RAM:  50% higher usage

CPU: 3-4% higher usage

which relates to about a 5W higher power draw. 

Added screenshots of some system resources graphs.

I did not change any settings or added new content since the initial update, which could justify the higher usage.

I am not really looking for a way the "fix" this rather I'm interested why and what is causing it.

Did anyone experienced the same thing or has any explanation for this behavior? 

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot 2021-07-14 154955.png

Screenshot 2021-07-14 155003.png

On 7/11/2021 at 2:39 AM, APD189 said:

It looks like I'm still having transcoding problems when I'm trying to transcode to RAM.  I did follow @binhex FAQ on transcoding to RAM:

your screenshots look correct to me, what you are probably seeing is plex being a bit crap when it comes to switching from transcoded to not, also changing quality is also hit and miss and more often then not requires me to stop the video, go back and 'resume' then it plays fine, this is 'the way' for plex, its not great but there ya go, here is hoping it improves one day :-).

if you can see that plex is transcoding in the ui then check the hosts /tmp folder, if you see dynamically generated folders and files being created in there then its working as intended.

On 7/14/2021 at 7:12 AM, binhex said:

your screenshots look correct to me, what you are probably seeing is plex being a bit crap when it comes to switching from transcoded to not, also changing quality is also hit and miss and more often then not requires me to stop the video, go back and 'resume' then it plays fine, this is 'the way' for plex, its not great but there ya go, here is hoping it improves one day :-).

if you can see that plex is transcoding in the ui then check the hosts /tmp folder, if you see dynamically generated folders and files being created in there then its working as intended.

@binhex...Thanks for the info.  Just for clarification, within Plex, what should I have in the "Transcoder temporary directory"?

@binhex...Thanks for the info.  Just for clarification, within Plex, what should I have in the "Transcoder temporary directory"?
You will see Plex generate files and folders with what look like randomly generated names, Plex will then write to that location if it needs to transcode

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

On 7/15/2021 at 2:22 PM, binhex said:

You will see Plex generate files and folders with what look like randomly generated names, Plex will then write to that location if it needs to transcode

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Hey @binhex...I'm looking to see if this is the correct setting within Plex.

image.png.b57350a9dcca2553030adc946b823504.png

Having an issue with my p2000 not being used when HDR tonemapping is enabled in Plex.  When I enable hdr tonemapping it starts using my iGPU which i dont even have outlined in my docker template...With hdr tonemapping disabled my p2000 works as expected.  Im running the newest nvidia driver, newest plex server beta from linuxserver/Binhex/offcial plex with plexpass all do it.

Im using unraid 6.9.2, plex server beta 1.23.5.484, nvidia driver v470.57.02

1 hour ago, sittingmongoose said:

Im running the newest nvidia driver, newest plex server beta from linuxserver/Binhex/offcial plex with plexpass all do it.

in that case i would suspect its either a driver bug thats been introduced or a bug in plex pass, try older driver versions and rolling back to previous versions of plex pass, keep in mind plex pass is basically beta releases of plex, if you want a more stable experience then go with binhex-plex, thats what i use.

question, has this EVER worked?.

6 hours ago, binhex said:

in that case i would suspect its either a driver bug thats been introduced or a bug in plex pass, try older driver versions and rolling back to previous versions of plex pass, keep in mind plex pass is basically beta releases of plex, if you want a more stable experience then go with binhex-plex, thats what i use.

question, has this EVER worked?.

Yes it worked, it stopped some point in the last few weeks.  I tried rolling back plex server versions but it didnt seem to help.  Maybe I didnt got far enough back.  I can try rolling nvidia drivers back.  I noticed because I was looking into why plex was crashing over and over and over.  Took me weeks to figure it out.  It was this setting.  

9 hours ago, sittingmongoose said:

Yes it worked, it stopped some point in the last few weeks. 

if you can come up with a rough date then check the 'last pushed' date for binhex-plex image tags, this will show you when the image was built, if that doesnt help then try rolling back the driver, link to tags:-

link to tags:- https://registry.hub.docker.com/repository/docker/binhex/arch-plexpass/tags?page=1&ordering=last_updated

4 hours ago, binhex said:

if you can come up with a rough date then check the 'last pushed' date for binhex-plex image tags, this will show you when the image was built, if that doesnt help then try rolling back the driver, link to tags:-

link to tags:- https://registry.hub.docker.com/repository/docker/binhex/arch-plexpass/tags?page=1&ordering=last_updated

So I tried rolling back nvidia drivers by two versions.  That didnt fix it.  I tried rolling back versions of plex, and went as far back as like 3 months.  That didnt fix it.  

However, now nvidia transcoding wont work at all...I tried multiple versions of drivers and multiple docker images.  It just keeps using my intel igpu instead of my nvidia p2000 even though i have nothing about the igpu in my docker config and it was working on these same version a few hours ago....(Not working with or without hdr transcoding).  I even tried a few versions of nvidia drivers.