[Support] binhex - Plex Pass

Hey folks,

I have a general question that I couldn't find on this forum related to Plex/Plex docker images. As I understood it, Plex stopped supporting plugins, but still allowed plugins to be manually installed. I can confirm that I'm able to place plugins into the /mnt/user/appdata/..../plugins folder and it shows up in settings. The issue is, the plugins don't really work?

Does this mean that the docker or lsio/binhex images do not support running plugins or are there directions i'm missing on how to activate it? Specifically, i'm trying to get the LyricFinds plugin to work for my music library but haven't been able to through the binhex/plexpass image.

Running:

UnRAID OS 6.9.0-RC2

binhex-plexpass Version 1.21.1.3876

Thanks!

Has anyone had any issues with the bleeding edge feature for Plex-Pass features?  I haven't noticed any but I guess you won't know until it happens. 

So the best way to switch from Binhex-plexpass to Binhex-plex is use the method @SpaceInvaderOne YouTube video shows?  @binhex too bad you couldn't merge the 2 versions and just have a setting in the edit settings screen to switch between binhex-plexpass and binhex-plex?

On 1/9/2021 at 6:41 PM, Paul_Ber said:

@binhex too bad you couldn't merge the 2 versions and just have a setting in the edit settings screen to switch between binhex-plexpass and binhex-plex?

this would involve wiping out existing and pulling down app during startup, this is something i have stayed away from as its frought with issues, not to mention harder to support as you never know what version people are using.

switching from plex to plex-pass (or the other way around), should be as simple as stop container, configure the other container to be the same as the stopped one, and start it, that should be it.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, lockrob2000 said:

After more reading it appears that there are only certain audio formats that Plex supports.

So unless I can add codecs to Plex for the unsupported formats, that may be that.

That said, it is odd that this only started very recently. Not sure if it is a Plex update issue, or something else.

Over the years I've had different plex client/hardware combos behave differently as far as audio codecs. I had a really bad time getting a fire tv to support the same things as my receiver, and eventually went to an Nvidia shield (At this point I'm not even sure what codecs are being used I just know I am getting 5.1 out, and I don't want to fiddle with anything and risk having to try to resolve things).

I would be curious to see if the exact same files play with audio if you transcode them, or optimize the files first.

Good luck though!

Thanks, I did try to reencode the file using Handbrake, but that just changed what codec tries to play the file, nit the actual audio format, so that didn't work.

I have also tried to play the files using the web client, but for some reason, even though I have a 3Gigabit transfer speed, the playback, glitched every minute or so, making the files really hard to watch (the sound worked though).

I'll keep trying different things.

Thanks for the input.

I've been inconsistently crashing while watching movies through Plex. I'm not sure the extent of the crash, I lose connection to my server, run downstairs to check it and it's still powered on. By the time I return upstairs the connection is restored but the array is stopped.

Happens inconsistently. I watched multiple episodes of a TV show in a row multiple nights in a row without issue. Sometimes I can watch an entire movie, other times I can only watch minutes. Turned on Syslog mirror to flash but I'm not sure what to look for, nothing is standing out.

I recently upgraded my Unraid server from an i3-8100 to an i9-9900k to help with movie transcoding in Plex. I did not upgrade my motherboard hardware, which is an ASRock H370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX, I did however upgrade my BIOS to the latest. This is the only issue since the upgrade and I had no issues before that.

Has anyone else run into this?

Versions: Unraid 6.8.3, Docker 19.03.5, tried the latest Plex and Plexpass dockers.

7 hours ago, SgtSeamonkey said:

I've been inconsistently crashing while watching movies through Plex. I'm not sure the extent of the crash, I lose connection to my server, run downstairs to check it and it's still powered on. By the time I return upstairs the connection is restored but the array is stopped.

this sounds to me like a hardware issue, my guess would be memory or psu but a full diagnostics dump may tell you what the cause is, you are best off posting in general support as this wont be related to this docker image and there are people with more systems knowledge than me on there, link to general:- https://forums.unraid.net/forum/55-general-support/

On 1/19/2021 at 5:55 AM, binhex said:

this sounds to me like a hardware issue, my guess would be memory or psu but a full diagnostics dump may tell you what the cause is, you are best off posting in general support as this wont be related to this docker image and there are people with more systems knowledge than me on there, link to general:- https://forums.unraid.net/forum/55-general-support/

Yeah, I tried general support first and got no response. My initial thought was hardware, possibly power draw or thermals but I couldn't find any issues. I will look into the full diagnostic dump. Thank you for the response!

Update 1/28/21 - Looks like the issue was the power supply. Haven't tested extensively but during initial testing after upgrading PSU I have not yet seen the issue.

Edited by SgtSeamonkey
On 1/18/2021 at 9:55 PM, SgtSeamonkey said:

Happens inconsistently. I watched multiple episodes of a TV show in a row multiple nights in a row without issue. Sometimes I can watch an entire movie, other times I can only watch minutes. Turned on Syslog mirror to flash but I'm not sure what to look for, nothing is standing out.

I recently upgraded my Unraid server from an i3-8100 to an i9-9900k to help with movie transcoding in Plex. I did not upgrade my motherboard hardware, which is an ASRock H370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX, I did however upgrade my BIOS to the latest. This is the only issue since the upgrade and I had no issues before that.

Has anyone else run into this?

Versions: Unraid 6.8.3, Docker 19.03.5, tried the latest Plex and Plexpass dockers.

It's the motherboard, I'm almost 100% positive on that. I have a 9900k with a Z390 board and every so often there's a hardware reset of all devices -- but it comes back immediately (but also -- sometimes it just force resets my machine). (the 100% part is obviously a bit of hyperbole -- but i've tested mine under windows and linux and it's unrelated to OS) -- I may steer clear of ASUS Intel boards from now on.

As of late my hw transcoding to my M2000 no longer works. On ANY plex dockers.  I have uninstalled/reinstalled the nvidia plugin multiple times, multiple restarts of the server etc.  Nothing works. Changed containers to a linuxserver version, no change. The gpu is confirmed working in another system. Did something change I wasn't aware of? Just trying to get it working again, to take the load off my cpu(s). I do have a transcoding share as well that is an SSD, but I would prefer to use HW when possible.  Any help would be great. 

https://prnt.sc/xu5kwp

https://prnt.sc/xu5liv

https://prnt.sc/xu5mcw

6 hours ago, Millerboy3 said:

As of late my hw transcoding to my M2000 no longer works. On ANY plex dockers.  I have uninstalled/reinstalled the nvidia

What version of Unraid are you running?  There was a recent change to have nvidia support built-into unraid and I think it broke old docker setups for plex.  I recently learned of this after it broke my setup just a few weeks ago.  This requires a newer nvidia-driver plugin instead of the old nvidia-plugin that downloaded a mod'd version of unraid.  I believe you need to be running one of the beta release candidates (unless something has changed) for the plugin to show up in community apps.  I'm using Version: 6.9.0-rc2.

Did you already apply this new setup?

20 hours ago, nikto said:

What version of Unraid are you running?  There was a recent change to have nvidia support built-into unraid and I think it broke old docker setups for plex.  I recently learned of this after it broke my setup just a few weeks ago.  This requires a newer nvidia-driver plugin instead of the old nvidia-plugin that downloaded a mod'd version of unraid.  I believe you need to be running one of the beta release candidates (unless something has changed) for the plugin to show up in community apps.  I'm using Version: 6.9.0-rc2.

Did you already apply this new setup?

Yea already using that setup. I was thinking the screenshots helped indicate that. I'm on 6.9.0-rc2. I finally got it working after doing a ton of removing/rebuilding/readding everything and about 6-7 reboots. kinda ridiculous. But it works. Now plex is hanging on adding my mergerfs shares though.  It literally pegs random cores to 100% and goes unresponsive, then I get a slow response from the db and it is unrecoverable without a reboot, and the db is fresh after all the install/reinstalls shenanigans of plex. Add them to emby with 0 issues. Really strange. So after the weird transcode issue. I guess I'll rebuild my rclone setup and see if that helps anything before coming back for further investigation.

Screenshot_2151.png

Edited by Millerboy3
18 minutes ago, d0ngt said:

My Plex Server just started to stop working, it seems to run in the unraid webui.

Wenn i look in the log file it says

"2021-02-01 10:56:35,066 INFO gave up: plexmediaserver entered FATAL state, too many start retries too quickly"

how can i fix it?

supervisord.log 3.84 kB · 1 download

see Q6:- https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/plex.md

7 minutes ago, d0ngt said:

Thanks. I works now.

The problem was the appdata was partly on the array (dont know how this could happen) i moved it back to the cache and restored a backup.

make sure your cache share (normally named appdata) is set as 'use cache only' or 'use cache prefer' otherwise mover will move the files from your cache drive to the array, which is probably what happened.

PMS Version#: 1.21.2.3943
docker: binhex-plexpass

My Plex docker has been crashing randomly for the past couple weeks. I was on a beta version of Unraid and reverted back to 6.8.3. It has crashed on both versions. I notice the crashing by being in the console when there are active streams, i will try to goto my server settings, and the wheel just spins and the CPU usage, bandwidth and ram stops being reported in real time. I have not been able to pinpoint this to any hardware as Plex is the only docker that seems to crash. I do have the docker set to host networking.  The docker service needs to be restarted in order to get it working again.

I have attached the Unraid diags.  

unbipple-diagnostics-20210202-1816.zip

Edited by bpl294

I've not seen this question answered, and a search hasn't brought it up; please forgive me if this is reviving the dead...

I changed my PlexPass password through my account online, and through the webgui for the PlexPass container, but now my PMS is unreachable from my Plex account. It's been a while since I originally set this container up, so I've forgotten how I attached it to my Plex account. What is the procedure for updating my password in the Docker instance? I don't see any credentials files in my /appdata?

EDIT: When I log into the webui, it shows the name of my server, but the screen shows a message that I'm not authorized to use it...

Thanks in advance,

Erik

Edited by ainuke
added detail about issue
32 minutes ago, ainuke said:

I've not seen this question answered, and a search hasn't brought it up; please forgive me if this is reviving the dead...

I changed my PlexPass password through my account online, and through the webgui for the PlexPass container, but now my PMS is unreachable from my Plex account. It's been a while since I originally set this container up, so I've forgotten how I attached it to my Plex account. What is the procedure for updating my password in the Docker instance? I don't see any credentials files in my /appdata?

EDIT: When I log into the webui, it shows the name of my server, but the screen shows a message that I'm not authorized to use it...

Thanks in advance,

Erik

UPDATE: tried reverting to my old password. That didn't work and I'm now locked out of my PMS instance from both Plex.tv and webui.

28 minutes ago, ainuke said:

UPDATE: tried reverting to my old password. That didn't work and I'm now locked out of my PMS instance from both Plex.tv and webui.

OK, I've got it sorted. I had to reclaim the server through the webui, but it didn't work before because I had the container in bridge mode, I think. I changed it back to host to claim the server, then restarted the container as bridge. 

Everything is fine, now.

PMS Version: 1.21.2.3978

Unraid Version: 6.9.0-rc2 

Recently I've been getting this bug quite a lot.:

2021-02-04 17:01:47,962 DEBG 'plexmediaserver' stderr output:
Error starting framework core for /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-4fda5f3d5/PlexMusic.bundle.

2021-02-04 17:01:48,185 DEBG 'plexmediaserver' stderr output:
Error starting framework core for /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-4fda5f3d5/PlexSeries.bundle.

2021-02-04 17:01:48,824 DEBG 'plexmediaserver' stderr output:
Error starting framework core for /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-4fda5f3d5/PlexMovie.bundle.

When encountering those, Plex Stops playback on all devices, and doesn't grant access to any media or library, when starting a stream it simply fails or loads indefinetly.

I first tried simply re-starting the Docker Container, but that didn't help much.

Then I tried re-starting the System, didn't help either.

After that I re-installed the Docker Container by Deleting it with the unRAID GUI and Re-Installing it, to no avail.

Finally I loaded a Backup from Appdata this worked, but it messed up my whole Library.

Now when I try to start a Library scan, it the loading icon simply blips up for a second and then nothing, no media is indexed anymore, this is especially nerveracking because the Backup is from Monday and now it's wednsday, and much of my newer media got replaced with better versions.

Any idea on how I can get that non-indexed media to properly index?

13 minutes ago, Mizz141 said:

PMS Version: 1.21.2.3978

Unraid Version: 6.9.0-rc2 

Recently I've been getting this bug quite a lot.:

2021-02-04 17:01:47,962 DEBG 'plexmediaserver' stderr output:
Error starting framework core for /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-4fda5f3d5/PlexMusic.bundle.

2021-02-04 17:01:48,185 DEBG 'plexmediaserver' stderr output:
Error starting framework core for /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-4fda5f3d5/PlexSeries.bundle.

2021-02-04 17:01:48,824 DEBG 'plexmediaserver' stderr output:
Error starting framework core for /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-4fda5f3d5/PlexMovie.bundle.

When encountering those, Plex Stops playback on all devices, and doesn't grant access to any media or library, when starting a stream it simply fails or loads indefinetly.

I first tried simply re-starting the Docker Container, but that didn't help much.

Then I tried re-starting the System, didn't help either.

After that I re-installed the Docker Container by Deleting it with the unRAID GUI and Re-Installing it, to no avail.

Finally I loaded a Backup from Appdata this worked, but it messed up my whole Library.

Now when I try to start a Library scan, it the loading icon simply blips up for a second and then nothing, no media is indexed anymore, this is especially nerveracking because the Backup is from Monday and now it's wednsday, and much of my newer media got replaced with better versions.

Any idea on how I can get that non-indexed media to properly index?

I have now also killed the Plex Database, I assume it was corrupt.

I'll update as needed, but it should work again for now.

Everything seems to be working again properly, currently indexing all the Metadata.

But I have seen something in the logs that worries me: 

Feb 04, 2021 19:05:14.308 [0x14c14bdfe640] DEBUG - CERT: incomplete TLS handshake: wrong version number

Plex Media Server.1.log

I see this in the logs many times over, even before the Database Reset.

Should I be worried?

Attached logs for reference.