[Support] binhex - Plex Pass

2 minutes ago, binhex said:

nah, thats the official plex docker, what im waiting on  (or my auto build script) is for somebody on AUR (arch user repository) to catch up:- https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/plex-media-server-plexpass/ note the out of date flag.

thanks, I am learning as i go and working on my own dockers for a few other items i like that are missing. I wish there was a nice guide on how to build dockers for unriad and how to get them added to the CA list 

14 hours ago, jayman said:

Hi binhex:

Is the creation of perms.txt still recommended before creating the plexpass docker via CA?

Thanks in advance!

Jay

not sure where you are getting this recommendation from?, but if you want to prevent the permissions being reset then yes create a perms.txt in the root of the host mapping for /config, if however you are coming from another author then it is possible that this will be necessary.

6 hours ago, binhex said:

not sure where you are getting this recommendation from?, but if you want to prevent the permissions being reset then yes create a perms.txt in the root of the host mapping for /config, if however you are coming from another author then it is possible that this will be necessary.

Got the info from the 3rd post in this thread and yes I will be trying yours coming over from Plex Inc's docker. Thanks for the clarification!

Jay

1 minute ago, jayman said:

Got the info from the 3rd post in this thread and yes I will be trying yours coming over from Plex Inc's docker. Thanks for the clarification!

Jay

ahh lol been a while since i wrote that, completely forgotten about it hehe. ok yeah so if you are coming from plex inc to mine then you probably should NOT create a perms.txt to ensure all permissions get set as they should be for the user you want to run as. also just watch out for root folder locations, just ensure they are the same, and always ensure you have a backup, don't go using your live metadata set, i would advise copying it over NOT just pointing this docker container at it and hoping, better to be safe than have corrupt data, even if it does mean a wait for it to copy over (could take a number of hours).

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 10:20 AM, binhex said:

nah, thats the official plex docker, what im waiting on  (or my auto build script) is for somebody on AUR (arch user repository) to catch up:- https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/plex-media-server-plexpass/ note the out of date flag.

Hi @binhex love your work...

looks like the arch package is updated now so just curious how long automation takes to update your docker?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Git Clone URL: https://aur.archlinux.org/plex-media-server-plexpass.git (read-only)

Last Updated: 2017-08-31 15:56

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

nah, thats the official plex docker, what im waiting on  (or my auto build script) is for somebody on AUR (arch user repository) to catch up:- [mention=11148]binhex[/mention] love your work...

looks like the arch package is updated now so just curious how long automation takes to update your docker?

Git Clone URL: https://aur.archlinux.org/plex-media-server-plexpass.git (read-only)

Last Updated: 2017-08-31 15:56

Done

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I'm currently on v. 1.9.0.4252 with Linuxio's image, but I've read several people recommending this image instead. As I'm running into a couple of issues with my PMS right now, I thought I'd make the switch. 

Are there any guides on how to best make this switch? Or is it pretty pointless?

Thanks!

12 hours ago, arkestler said:

Is there any way to add handbrake or ffmpeg into this docker to do some file conversions in the DVR post processing script feature of plexpass version?

i could do, but it would be a blind code, as im not a plex pass user and dont have hdhomerun hardware to test with, can you possibly send me a screenshot of the screen where you configure the script? just want to try and get an idea as to where it would look for ffmpeg/handbrake and whether it supports just one or both? (ffmpeg would be probably easier to implement).

The script that runs would be created by the user and can just be dropped into a volume mapping.  The user would create their own script and most likely just need to path to to the ffmpeg program.  In plex you just add the path to the script to run.  Below is the screenshot, and an example of what I am currently using as my script on a full blown machine, which does some other stuff too, but I would be happy to just get the conversion working in the docker.  

59c1a84349ed3_ScreenShot2017-09-19at7_20_54PM.png.0d2e0a420a68e8177c5b16006c0bb541.png

#!/bin/bash
# ------------------------------------------------------------------
#   Author [Kevin Fowlks]
#
#   Date 10/06/2016
#
#   Plex DVR Handbrake convert script for shrinking my recordings from my HDHomeRun CableCard.
#
#   Usage: ./convert.sh <input file>
sleep $[ ( $RANDOM % 45 ) + 1 ]s

NOW=$(date +"%m%d%Y")
#PGMNAME=/usr/bin/HandBrakeCLI
PGMNAME=/usr/bin/ffmpeg
check_errs()
{
    # Function. Parameter 1 is the return code
      # Para. 2 is text to display on failure.
        if [ "${1}" -ne "0" ]; then
          echo "ERROR # ${1} : ${2}"
          # as a bonus, make our script exit with the right error code.
          exit ${1}
        fi
}

BASEPATH=$(dirname "$1")
BASEFILE=$(basename "$1")
FILENAME="${BASEFILE%%.*}"

#Check to see if postprocess script is running.  If so tell process to wait.  This is to ensure we don't have more than 1 convert process running at a time.  Keeps CPU happy.
while [ -f /tmp/postProcessLock ]
do
sleep 60
done

touch /tmp/postProcessLock

echo "Starting $NOW"

echo "Starting Processing of $1" | mail -s "Plex Post Processing Started" email@email.com

#set audio to English
/usr/bin/mkvpropedit "$1" --edit track:a1 --set language=eng --edit track:v1 --set language=eng
sleep 5

#remove commercials
comchap "$1"
#comcut "$1"
sleep 30

#Original Handbrake
#$PGMNAME -i "$1" -Z "AppleTV 2" -o "$BASEPATH/$FILENAME.mp4"

#ffmpeg
$PGMNAME -i "$1" -vf scale=-1:720 -c:v libx264 -crf 18 -preset fast -c:a copy "$BASEPATH/$FILENAME.mp4"
#$PGMNAME -i "$1" -c:v libx264 "$BASEPATH/$FILENAME.mp4"

#new Handbrake
#$PGMNAME -i "$1" -f mp4 --aencoder copy -e x264 --x264-preset medium --x264-profile auto -q 16 --width 1280 --height 720 --decomb bob -o "$BASEPATH/$FILENAME.mp4"

check_errs $? "Failed to convert file $1"

sleep 20

echo "Removing original file."
rm -f "$1"

sleep 10

rm /tmp/postProcessLock

sleep 10
echo "Completed  Processing of $1" | mail -s "Plex Post Processing Completed" email@email.com

check_errs $? "Failed to remove original file $1"

On 1/22/2016 at 6:11 AM, binhex said:

Existing users please read

If you download the latest Docker image as of 16th Feb 2016 then permissions and ownership will be applied on startup, if you want to avoid this happening then please create an empty file called "perms.txt" in the root of the host mapped /config folder.  Please note permissions will ONLY be applied on FIRST RUN with the new image, after that a perms.txt file is automatically created and it will not re-apply permissions unless the file is manually deleted.

The reason i am doing this is to further allow the user to define the user and group the container runs as via UID and GID env vars, this means non unraid users can now more easily run the containers as any user, as opposed to being forced to set perms manually for user "nobody". This also helps people easily sort out any permissions issues by simply deleting the /config/perms.txt file to force a re-apply of the correct permissions for the container.

Note

If you do not create /config/perms.txt then please expect a wait whilst permissions are set on the first run, you can expect wait times of up to 15 mins for large metadata collections, if your unsure whether its still applying changes then please check /config/supervisord.log

You should suggest everyone to remove this file when converting over from a plug in. Plex would show all of the shows, but for some reason there was some shows that would only play on my Nvidia Shield and not on my PC or Roku/mobile devices.

I couldn't figure it out until I deleted the perms.txt file rebooted, waited a while that everything was able to stream to all of my devices

12 hours ago, binhex said:

@arkestler well its done, a bit of faffing around with dependencies (uuugggghh) with packages and its built, it has added an additional 34MB to the size of the compressed image, which is unfortunate, but you do now have access to ffmpeg, path is /usr/bin/ffmpeg, pull down the latest image and give it a go.

Thanks!  I will see if I can get it working!

Forgive me if this isn't the correct place to post. I'm using the Binhex Plex pass docker. I've only just installed the Plex Media Server, and got my first client up & running (a few outstanding issues but nothing too serious). I downloaded the plex app on my ipad and was successfully streaming a couple of full HD movies to it, which was great. However, I noticed the CPU utilisation for transcoding was enormous! At the moment I don't use a cache drive, but now that I'm starting to use Plex, I'm seriously considering it.

I did see a thread saying you should use RAM for the transcode instead of an SSD, and now I'm confused. My system currently has 16Gb ECC RAM, my UnRAID CPU is an Intel Xeon E5-1620 v4, I only have a few dockers and no VM's. I imagine I'd only have a need for 3-4 transcoding streams simultaneously (+ a couple of direct plays). My questions are as follows:

1) Is it better to use RAM or a SSD to do transcoding for Plex?

2) If RAM is the way to go - do I have enough, and how do you set it up?

3) If SSD is the way to go - how large does the SSD have to be, and how do you set it up?

If I got an SSD - at this stage Plex transcoding is the only thing I'd be using it for.

Thanks for any help/advice, and please feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place.

PLEASE HELP!!!

I did something STUPID!

In the Plex Media Server, using the WebUI, I went into settings/server. I've been trying to experiment to fix some issues with getting a direct connection to work. I changed the "Secure Connections" setting from 'Preferred' to 'Required', and applied changes and left the WebUI. Now I can't get back into it again! I tried restarting the docker container - no good. I tried rebooting UnRAID - no good.

Is there anything I can do to restore access to the Plex WebUI?

I am kicking myself.....

<sigh> Never mind - I found a way to fix it by logging onto the server from Plex online.

Still kicking myself.....

Edited by Roscoe62
I'm an idiot
  • 4 weeks later...
On 17/09/2017 at 8:58 PM, Fredrick said:

Hey guys,

I'm currently on v. 1.9.0.4252 with Linuxio's image, but I've read several people recommending this image instead. As I'm running into a couple of issues with my PMS right now, I thought I'd make the switch. 

Are there any guides on how to best make this switch? Or is it pretty pointless?

Thanks!

Anyone got a quick rundown of how to swith from LinuxIO to Binhex?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2017 at 2:11 AM, Fredrick said:

Anyone got a quick rundown of how to swith from LinuxIO to Binhex?

Im with you,  however I am about to switch from the Official Plex docker to Binhex-Plexpass,   If I find information I will share,  however the only thing I can find so far is to backup the library and then delete the docker used and install the new one, config it then load the library backup into before starting it.

I'd also appreciate any help

Edit: Nevermind, it was my mistake:

Original post:

I have a problem. Just FYI, I'm quite new to unraid, and quite new to plex itself. I chose this docker, because it seems it's the only "plex-pass" version on the app store.

Anyway. I installed it, set everything up, and scanned in a small part of my tv shows collection, just to try it out. I was about to install Trakt plugin, when I noticed, that Plex did not save the library meta files somewhere in the appdata/binhex-plexpass. Instead, it seems, Plex saved them inside the docker image file. What!?

I mean, my docker file is only 20GB in size (by default, iirc). That will be way too small for plex to store all those hundreds of thousands of files, if I scan all my media in. And anyway, why is plex saving them inside the container, while the config files are in the (proper) appdata/binhex-plexpass folder?

I thought I missed some setting in the container options, but it seems - not.

1. Is this a "normal/default" behavior?
  2. Can I move all that crap out of container and into appdata?
  3. If yes, how do I do that? Sorry, complete linux newb here...
  4. All I can think of atm, is maybe I need to connect inside the running container, move the files (if it's possible) into appdata, and then make a symlink/junction, whatever it's called on linux?
  5. Maybe I actually did something wrong, while installing, missed some setting, or a step somewhere?
  6. Or maybe there is a simpler/easier solution?
  7. If this is the intended behavior, then why? Am I missing something, or does this feels kinda wrong?

I really do not like having 50GB+ or more af Plex carp inside the container image...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by shEiD
Linked to the post that explains, what happened.
2 minutes ago, shEiD said:

Instead, it seems, Plex saved them inside the docker image file.

You should do this:  https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/57181-real-docker-faq/#comment-564345

3 minutes ago, shEiD said:

Can I move all that crap out of container and into appdata?

Outright easiest way is to delete the docker image (settings - docker - advanced), recreate it then re-add the apps via Apps tab, previous apps section

Edit: Nevermind, it was my mistake:

Original post:

1 hour ago, Squid said:

You should do this:  https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/57181-real-docker-faq/#comment-564345

Outright easiest way is to delete the docker image (settings - docker - advanced), recreate it then re-add the apps via Apps tab, previous apps section

If I simply recreate the same container, with no changes, I will get the same result, wouldn't I?

I need to find the solution, before deleting the whole docker.img file. At least I would like to copy the Plex library files - the scanning took some hours... :/

And sorry, I forgot to include the details. Here they are:

2017-11-04_11-07-29__Evernote.thumb.png.6759c9d2d0cb7bc8dc69c79bb7612bf9.png

And the log

2017-11-04 10:56:17.200985 [info] Host is running unRAID
2017-11-04 10:56:17.229632 [info] System information Linux thePit 4.9.30-unRAID #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri May 26 13:56:36 PDT 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux
2017-11-04 10:56:17.257100 [info] PUID defined as '99'
2017-11-04 10:56:17.285439 [info] PGID defined as '100'
2017-11-04 10:56:17.346306 [info] UMASK defined as '000'
2017-11-04 10:56:17.386139 [info] Permissions already set for volume mappings
2017-11-04 10:56:17.417397 [info] TRANS_DIR defined as '/config/transcode'
2017-11-04 10:56:17.495711 [info] Starting Supervisor...
2017-11-04 10:56:17,654 CRIT Set uid to user 0
2017-11-04 10:56:17,654 INFO Included extra file "/etc/supervisor/conf.d/plexmediaserver.conf" during parsing
2017-11-04 10:56:17,656 INFO supervisord started with pid 7
2017-11-04 10:56:18,659 INFO spawned: 'plexmediaserver' with pid 48
2017-11-04 10:56:18,659 INFO reaped unknown pid 8
2017-11-04 10:56:19,661 INFO success: plexmediaserver entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)

In the mean time I found these, which seems to be about this exact situation. The problem is, it's probaly way over my head - my linux and command line experience is about 10 hours old :)

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/277724/moving-pms-library 

Is this at least somewhere in the ballpark? :)

Edited by shEiD
Linked to the post that explains, what happened.