[Support] binhex - Plex Pass


1135 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, ProZac said:

Hey all :)

So no, this is not a problem, but I was wondering how much space your plex docker was using?
I don't transcode so I haven't bothered changing that path (checked folder, its empty), but my plexpass docker now just passed 10GB in total. Around 5GB in Metadata and same in Media. I do collect a lot of media, but still, 10GB? No other folder in my plex folder containts more than a few kb.

15GB for me, its just how it is, plex is a bit of a hog when it comes to metadata generation, kodi is less than half of that for me for the same amount of media 🙂

Link to post
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its currently queued to build, you should see a new image available in the next hour or two that should get things back on track.  

just change your repository to "binhex/arch-plexpass:1.12.0.4829-1-01" without the quotes. you can do this with any repositories, just add a colon and then the specific tag you want to use. 

Be patient young Jedi everything comes to those who wait, it's automated, as soon as it can be built it will be built. Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

1 minute ago, binhex said:

15GB for me, its just how it is, plex is a bit of a hog when it comes to metadata generation, kodi is less than half of that for me for the same amount of media 🙂

Hehe ok, was thinking it was this way, but wanted to be sure :)
Expanding docker img size ftw :)

Link to post
Just now, ProZac said:

Expanding docker img size ftw

err none of that should be in your docker image file, if it is then its configured incorrectly, all config and metadata for plex (and nearly all other docker containers) should be stored on the host, aka /mnt/cache/appdata/<somewhere> or /mnt/user/appdata/<somewhere>

Link to post
34 minutes ago, binhex said:

err none of that should be in your docker image file, if it is then its configured incorrectly, all config and metadata for plex (and nearly all other docker containers) should be stored on the host, aka /mnt/cache/appdata/<somewhere> or /mnt/user/appdata/<somewhere>

Hmmm it is in my appdata/ folder, thought this would  fill the img file. Tried to get Container Size from docker tab in GUI, but it just loads and loads (gave up after 20min, did this earlier). Atm running preclear, maybe that is causing it to freak out, but what is then filling my docker img file? From what I can see my plex docker is configured correct even if im still runing "user" and not "cache".  

Never seen the warning before so not sure how much space it was taking before. No changes lately except swapping my cache drive out for a bigger one and adding a new drive to the array (atm in preclear) I was sure this was because of plex taking so much space for metadata :(

 

image.png.554b27f2db449c928b226154f4471362.png

 

 

Ok just got the docker size window to open after a few tries, this lists plex at only 1.45 as my 2nd biggest, with your Krusader being the biggest at 2.23GB. Total of all my 17 dockers are just over 12GB, not 75% used as Unraid said, but I guess increasing it to 40GB woun't hurt any1 :)

 

Edited by ProZac
Link to post
18 minutes ago, ProZac said:

Hmmm it is in my appdata/ folder, thought this would  fill the img file.

nope.

28 minutes ago, ProZac said:

but what is then filling my docker img file?

a good question, i would suspect another container, check all configs.

 

on the plus side if you can see files and folders located in /mnt/user/appdata/binhex-plexpass then you are def NOT writing metadata to the docker image file, this is good cos if you were writing to the container then when you update plex you would loose all your config and metadata.

Link to post
6 hours ago, binhex said:

nope.

a good question, i would suspect another container, check all configs.

 

on the plus side if you can see files and folders located in /mnt/user/appdata/binhex-plexpass then you are def NOT writing metadata to the docker image file, this is good cos if you were writing to the container then when you update plex you would loose all your config and metadata.

Preclear was finally done and I could do some testing, also tested an old backup I had, and seems I was just below the 70% mark before, so was just a few more files and a new docker that tipped me over the 70% hehe :)

As I said, increased the img to 40GB and all is well :)

 

Link to post
41 minutes ago, ProZac said:

As I said, increased the img to 40GB and all is well

That will just take longer to fill. Nothing should be filling docker image. The usual cause is some application writing to a path that is not mapped. Common mistakes are using different lower/upper case when specifying paths, or using a relative instead of absolute path. I haven't found anyone needing more than 20G unless they have something misconfigured, and if you are writing into docker image, no amount may be enough.

Link to post
15 minutes ago, trurl said:

That will just take longer to fill. Nothing should be filling docker image. The usual cause is some application writing to a path that is not mapped. Common mistakes are using different lower/upper case when specifying paths, or using a relative instead of absolute path. I haven't found anyone needing more than 20G unless they have something misconfigured, and if you are writing into docker image, no amount may be enough.

Hmmm sounds weird, I have never changed the config from when I first set it up in any of the dockers, so it should have been full ages ago if I did a wrong path shouldn't it? Sorry @binhex for the deviation from plex here, I'l make a post in general support :)

 

Link to post
4 minutes ago, Rick Gillyon said:

Hit the Container Size button on the Docker page to see which Docker is the problem.

Thanks, as I stated above, Krusader at just over 2GB and plex at a bit over 1GB, full info in new thread here  :)

 

Link to post

I am unsure if anyone is having this issue, but I recently (In the last day or so) have been getting an issue on plex, "There was an unexpected error loading the dashboard". As well as my music library having, "There was an unexpected error loading this library". My Anime, Movies, and TV Shows folders through out the day have been going on and off working and not working giving the 'unexpected error' screen, but the music library all of today and yesterday has been 'offline'. Below is my setup for my docker and attached are the logs for plex and unraid. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff, but I'm not sure if this is a version bug or a hardware bug or something else that is causing an issue. Thank you in advance!

valhalla-diagnostics-20190617-0358.zipPlex Media Server Logs_2019-06-16_22-55-27.zipimage.thumb.png.012154a6736cb22a70f531a422147c24.pngPlex Media Server Logs_2019-06-16_22-55-27.zipvalhalla-diagnostics-20190617-0358.zip

Link to post

Update:

I just uploaded a TV Show onto my Plex Server (Savage Builds S01E01), and Plex is not loading in the new files. 

-The unexpected error for the dashboard and libraries in the server are issues for clients on the internal network (Tried on plex clients on different computers, roku, xbox, andriod, google chrome with all having the same issues) as well as external clients. 

If someone has access to the movies library (Does not matter if its on lan or not) they can watch the content if it shows up, the primary issue is with plex not actually updating and the dashboard/libraries have the loading error.

Link to post
On 6/15/2019 at 11:34 AM, idmanager said:

A Plex Media Server update is available for the server 1.16.0.1226

but there is no update for docker ?

He got auto build, so as soon as its finished, it will update, no need to say this every time :)

 

Link to post
On 6/17/2019 at 6:50 AM, Marimuria said:

Update:

I just uploaded a TV Show onto my Plex Server (Savage Builds S01E01), and Plex is not loading in the new files. 

-The unexpected error for the dashboard and libraries in the server are issues for clients on the internal network (Tried on plex clients on different computers, roku, xbox, andriod, google chrome with all having the same issues) as well as external clients. 

If someone has access to the movies library (Does not matter if its on lan or not) they can watch the content if it shows up, the primary issue is with plex not actually updating and the dashboard/libraries have the loading error.

Some log files would be needed to investigate this. Fresh supervisor log file as minimum, maybe run command? :)

 

Link to post
14 hours ago, ProZac said:

Some log files would be needed to investigate this. Fresh supervisor log file as minimum, maybe run command? :)

 

I'm not sure what you mean by "Fresh supervisor log file as minimum, maybe run command". I had the log files in the post above the update. I have provided an updated list of logs that I gathered today 

Plex Media Server Logs_2019-06-18_16-58-13.zip valhalla-diagnostics-20190618-2158.zip

Link to post
10 hours ago, Marimuria said:

I'm so sorry, I feel like a total goof ball now. I'm pretty new to unraid/dockers. I have the supervisor and run command screenshot now.209725968_RunCommandScreenshot.thumb.PNG.10192ea1ddb1de17b8e5fbd176692dc1.PNGsupervisord (After Run Command).logsupervisord(Before Run Command).log

So let me start by saying I'm still learning aswell :) But from what I can see in your log you have a database corruption, ref:
 SQLITE3:(nil), 11, database corruption at line 65066 of [bf8c1b2b7a]
I do see al ot of people fix database bugs by changing the mapping folder from /mnt/user/appdata/Plex to /mnt/cache/appdata/Plex because of the file system. Maybe someone else ( @binhex?) can confirm this, but changing the mapping folder can't hurt either way, so I would start there :)

 

Link to post
12 minutes ago, ProZac said:

So let me start by saying I'm still learning aswell :) But from what I can see in your log you have a database corruption, ref:
 SQLITE3:(nil), 11, database corruption at line 65066 of [bf8c1b2b7a]
I do see al ot of people fix database bugs by changing the mapping folder from /mnt/user/appdata/Plex to /mnt/cache/appdata/Plex because of the file system. Maybe someone else ( @binhex?) can confirm this, but changing the mapping folder can't hurt either way, so I would start there :)

 

yep database corruption is a problem at the moment, switching to a non shfs/fuse path helps but this is currently not the silver bullet, there is something else in play that is causing this, its being investigated by limetech, see this LONG thread:-

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/80439-downgraded-back-to-667-due-to-sqlite-corruption/

 

Link to post
3 hours ago, ProZac said:

So let me start by saying I'm still learning aswell :) But from what I can see in your log you have a database corruption, ref:
 SQLITE3:(nil), 11, database corruption at line 65066 of [bf8c1b2b7a]
I do see al ot of people fix database bugs by changing the mapping folder from /mnt/user/appdata/Plex to /mnt/cache/appdata/Plex because of the file system. Maybe someone else ( @binhex?) can confirm this, but changing the mapping folder can't hurt either way, so I would start there :)

 

Awesome! I figured it was something silly that I was doing (Although this is partially an issue with the docker). I'm currently as work, so it'll be a bit before I can get the change implemented. I assume that because Plex already has 99.9% of the metadata already that changing the mapping folder shouldn't really do that much for the end user to experience (End user meaning the people viewing on the plex client). 
-Side note: There is a crazy amount of documentation I found out from going through this forum. I feel silly that I didn't look at some of the other pages of the forum before just kind of freaking out

Link to post
22 minutes ago, Marimuria said:

Awesome! I figured it was something silly that I was doing (Although this is partially an issue with the docker). I'm currently as work, so it'll be a bit before I can get the change implemented. I assume that because Plex already has 99.9% of the metadata already that changing the mapping folder shouldn't really do that much for the end user to experience (End user meaning the people viewing on the plex client). 
-Side note: There is a crazy amount of documentation I found out from going through this forum. I feel silly that I didn't look at some of the other pages of the forum before just kind of freaking out

Nothing silly at all what you did, the database bug is new to most people in this latest Unraid update, just be aware, some people have had their database wiped by changing the mapping, but as it's just to rebuild and wait (and ur's don't work anyway), I would still try to change it :)

 

I am not running the appdata in /cache, I'm still using /user on all with no issues. From the looks of all the other posts around the forum there is some incompatibility either with specific hardware or some weird sw bug nobody have been able to find so far that creates the issue.

Link to post
4 hours ago, binhex said:

yep database corruption is a problem at the moment, switching to a non shfs/fuse path helps but this is currently not the silver bullet, there is something else in play that is causing this, its being investigated by limetech, see this LONG thread:-

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/80439-downgraded-back-to-667-due-to-sqlite-corruption/

 

Oh that's good news. Sort of. Between this and the Radarr problem in the other thread, I thought for sure I had some hardware starting to go bad. 

 

Thanks for always being helpful, Binhex. You'e definitely a gem. 

Link to post

Hi,

I am setting up a new Server...  had to change my NIC as built in were Marvel garbage.... since Changing the network card I booted up and Plex WebUI website wont connect.

This site can’t be reached

192.168.1.122 refused to connect.

 

Any ideas? I already tried removing the app and reinstalling. Didn't help a bit.

log attached.

 

Thanks!

 

UPDATE:

Was able to get it working after Uninstalling and then deleting binhex-plex directory.

Seriously messed up.....  ohh well.

PlexCrash.log

Edited by dimitriz
Fixed
Link to post

Hello to any Plexusers who do 4K video and/or use GPU accelerated transcoding:

 

I am a PlexPass user on unRAID server. I am just moving into 4K videos.  After doing a 1st test run, I’m finding that my CPU which can manage 4 or 5 1080 transcodes simultaneously is pretty well tapped at 2 - 4K transcodes. The CPU is an intel E3-1241 v3 and scores 10,000 passmarks.

So that said, I’m now looking at how much my GPU in the PC speeds up the H264/265 encoding when ripping movies and wondering if using GPU hardware acceleration will do the same for transcoding Plex Streaming.  I’ve read the page on the Plex website with some pros/cons and the page suggests what while faster / smoother the use of GPU accelerated encoding can reduce overall quality and create a blurry/blocky look.

 

I’m looking for some real world feedback on the use of GPU accelerated encoding before going too far down the road with my server. I would have to purchase the GPU and replace my MB to make this work (one slot short) and not wanting to go through that expense if ultimately it will degrade the quality that much as it would be a non starter for me. I think this will cost me somewhere between $275-350 do, but going to an E5 processor would be far worse.  I also know implementing this in unRAID has an additional set of complexities and will work on those separately.  I have some bookmarked pages I need to read before bothering to ask any questions on that front.

  1. Does the use of GPU encoding make a difference that anyone has noticed? Is this driven by the quality of the GPU or is this for all GPU’s in general?
  2. How high end of a GPU do you need to accomplish a meaningful change and not reduce quality? I was thinking an nVidea GTX 1050 or 1060, thoughts?
  3. Am I understanding correctly that Plex either only uses GPU or CPU for encoding, not both?
  4. Does the use of GPU accelerated transcoding affect how Plex DVR works?
  5. Any other thoughts based on your experience that I should know or consider before going down this road?

Thanks in advance.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.