[Support] binhex - Plex Pass

I was looking at my active streams on my unRaid server and I was wondering why there are external ip addresses with accessing my plex databases and logs.  Also, when I restart the binhex-plexpass docker I noticed there are quite a few of different ip addresses that make a connection until ultimately the stream remains open on IP 45.79.11.43.

I've attached screenshots of all of the different IP's that are connecting to these files.

Who are these IP's and why are they accessing these files?

Screenshot 2018-01-27 10.43.52.png

Screenshot 2018-01-27 10.43.53.png

Screenshot 2018-01-27 10.43.59.png

Screenshot 2018-01-27 10.44.01.png

Screenshot 2018-01-27 10.44.02.png

Screenshot 2018-01-27 10.44.04.png

Screenshot 2018-01-27 10.44.05.png

Screenshot 2018-01-27 10.43.55.png

Edited by gamephreak

Hi binhex.

I found the world of plex and ended up getting plex pass. Currently I'm using the linuxserver repo and am wondering if I'll gain anything by switching to this. I see it requires plex pass, but neither the github of Arch AUR seem to explain what you get in it.

Might pointing me to where I can find out?

Cheers

14 minutes ago, Ryonez said:

Hi binhex.

I found the world of plex and ended up getting plex pass. Currently I'm using the linuxserver repo and am wondering if I'll gain anything by switching to this. I see it requires plex pass, but neither the github of Arch AUR seem to explain what you get in it.

Might pointing me to where I can find out?

Cheers

the linuxserver repo also gves you the ability to run the plex pass version if you have a valid plex pass subscription, so in essence the linuxserver version and this one run the same code, its just that i have split it into a seperate image, whereas linuxserver enable/disable plex pass via env var, there are of course other differences, but these are all internals, such as base os, build process etc.

7 minutes ago, binhex said:

the linuxserver repo also gves you the ability to run the plex pass version if you have a valid plex pass subscription, so in essence the linuxserver version and this one run the same code, its just that i have split it into a seperate image, whereas linuxserver enable/disable plex pass via env var, there are of course other differences, but these are all internals, such as base os, build process etc.

I did not know this. However, I am enjoying your dockers at the moment, so I'll probably have a look at this.
Besides, toggling the eval probably wouldn't be good for the plex database.

It's just, what's the difference between the normal and plex pass server versions? 

Edited by Ryonez

What? That's not helpful in the lightest. It just brings up what you get with plex pass. I can see that on the plex website. But nowhere does it mention about a special build of the server just for plex pass. The info is neither on your github nor on the AUR you use to make the docker.

Is it something to do with the early access builds?

This is what I get with a search:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=What+is+a+plex+pass+server+build&t=vivaldi&ia=web

That fact I can't find anything is why I'm asking here.

2 minutes ago, Ryonez said:

What? That's not helpful in the lightest. It just brings up what you get with plex pass. I can see that on the plex website. But nowhere does it mention about a special build of the server just for plex pass. The info is neither on your github nor on the AUR you use to make the docker.

Is it something to do with the early access builds?

This is what I get with a search:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=What+is+a+plex+pass+server+build&t=vivaldi&ia=web

That fact I can't find anything is why I'm asking here.

tbh all i would be doing is googling it for you, which i don't have time to do, its out there im sure, if you get stuck go ask on the plex forum.

1 minute ago, binhex said:

tbh all i would be doing is googling it for you, which i don't have time to do, its out there im sure, if you get stuck go ask on the plex forum.

Well, thanks for being honest on that. Kinda of curious why you made this then if you don't know what it gives.

I'll dig into it more later, and let you know what I find here as well.

Just now, Ryonez said:

Well, thanks for being honest on that. Kinda of curious why you made this then if you don't know what it gives.

I'll dig into it more later, and let you know what I find here as well.

just because ive created the image doesn't mean i use it :-), people ask and im kind enough to facilitate, thats all.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Ryonez said:

Mhm, that page is why I got plex pass. But it didn't mention about a plex pass specific build. And seeing a build marked as a plex pass doesn't make one think beta.

But this is sounding like the more likely option.

its what plex calls "early access" which gives you access to features before it ends up in 'plex', in my opinion this really means beta/release candidates for those who are impatient and can't wait for feature X in 'plex', you will note that the version for plex pass generally is in front of plex, but plex will catch up as the features get pushed from plex pass to plex.

1 hour ago, binhex said:

its what plex calls "early access" which gives you access to features before it ends up in 'plex', in my opinion this really means beta/release candidates for those who are impatient and can't wait for feature X in 'plex', you will note that the version for plex pass generally is in front of plex, but plex will catch up as the features get pushed from plex pass to plex.

And not to forget, having a Plex Pass also support the developers to keep a great product getting even better….;-)

Just a question in relation to the transcode drive. I had a spare 120gb ssd lying around and im looking to use it specifically for transcoding. I'm trying to lighten the writes on my cache drives as much as i can... I have it mounted with unassigned devices and I'd like to now use it for the transcodes.... I created a container path pointing to it and put the corresponding path into plex but when monitoring it it doesnt appear to be using it at all. I also tried changing the TRANS_DIR container variable but that just broke it which i kinda expected.

Any body know how I go about getting this working??

2 hours ago, tazire said:

Just a question in relation to the transcode drive. I had a spare 120gb ssd lying around and im looking to use it specifically for transcoding. I'm trying to lighten the writes on my cache drives as much as i can... I have it mounted with unassigned devices and I'd like to now use it for the transcodes.... I created a container path pointing to it and put the corresponding path into plex but when monitoring it it doesnt appear to be using it at all. I also tried changing the TRANS_DIR container variable but that just broke it which i kinda expected.

Any body know how I go about getting this working??

Here is an example…. I don’t use binhex container right now, but it shouldn’t be to much different.

I have configured Plex to use the folder /transcode (this is what the Plex app in the container can see).

5a71f33b450db_Plextranscode.png.7bf2a3aa6191dd651c38f632c6b77c7e.png

Then I have a folder mapping for the Plex container that maps /transcode inside the container (Container Path:) to a location outside the container (Host Path:)

In this case I have mounted an unassigned disk (not belonging to the array and not a cash disk). When browsing unassigned disks will show up at /mnt/disks

I have labelled my unassigned disk to Unassigned (otherwise I think it will show up with its s/n). I have also created a folder Plex_transcode on that disk that I will use.

Mapping.png.7185ebbd11a284419267fd47721baa58.png

The Access Mode: should also be set to RW/Slave

5a71f3768fec7_RWslave.png.e761a1ea4f454b6fa05c39822ad85894.png

/Leif

Edited by Leifgg

Hey binhex, 

Thanks for your hard work but today the plex pass docker was updated and it seems to have broken something. I not sure what I might be missing but now i get a cant load webpage

OS 6.4.1

Anyones else having same problem or just me  

Edited by rguinn
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, all:

So, I'm trying to migrate from a dedicated Ubuntu 16.04 Plex Server into this Docker.  I've migrated all my files into the new path on the Docker and let the permissions run by deleting the perms.txt - that took 12 hours to complete.  Plex clients can connect and see all the artwork, files, movies, etc. - but all movies are unavailable.  I go into the Library settings and try to change to the new path as necessary, but I'm getting "The changes cannot be saved" errors.

So, it appears I have some permission issues...  My current permissions on the /config are all set to nobody:users, prior permissions on the old server were different.

How can I get this working?

By the way, LOVE all the binhex Dockers!

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if someone has already mentioned this.....but the Official Plex Docker supports PlexPass/Beta Updates as well. I just found this out after visiting this Plex Forum Thread:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/273368/plex-docker-wont-update-to-latest-plex-pass-version

All you have to do is add a "tag" to the repository name. For noobs like myself, this means changing  the repository name from plexinc/pms-docker to plexinc/pms-docker:beta

Furthermore, a Plex Employee chimed in and said "plexpass" and "beta" are the same....and they may drop the "plexpass" tag entirely since it is redundant with "beta" tag.

Edited by Stupifier
  • 2 weeks later...