Out of Memory issues

IG82

On one of my N36L microservers I have been getting out of memory errors.  It is running a modified bios to enable full speed SATA on the external/onboard ports, with 6 x WD20EARS/X drives and 2GB of RAM.

Brand new installation of 6.1.7.  Only plugin installed is the nerdtools pack.  Not using docker or any VMs.

I am copying data across to it via by mounting and writing to an NFS share via MC.

I can see in the syslog it had errors, although this time around didn't experience any issues.  Last time though the webgui had hung and I could not access any mounts/shares.  Although I could telnet into the server, I was unable to do anything under /mnt.  I ended up rebooting it which resulted in a clean shutdown, hence the parity check in the new syslog.

Any ideas or suggestions on what the cause is?  I haven't noticed it happen on my other N36L server which is currently running 6.1.6, but I haven't done the same kind of large copying of data to that one for a while.

Attached is a diagnostic zip.

Thanks

Ian

tower-diagnostics-20160123-2358.zip

To be honest 2GB is probably a bit low for Unraid 6 imho...

I don't know what the "party line" is or what dockers/plugins you're running, but with 2GB of RAM I wouldn't be surprised if you are indeed running out of memory rather than it being a hardware problem.

Hmm, the requirements are still listed as 1GB.  As per my opening post I have installed the nerdtools plugin but otherwise no plugins, docker is not running, and no virtual machines.

1st pass of memtest is clear with no errors but will leave it running until tomorrow after work so it gets a good few runs in.

If the memtest comes up clear I can try bumping the memory as my workhorse server has 60GB ECC so I can spare a 4GB DIMM I think!

Would be great if someone could cast their eye over the syslog, pulled out of the zip and attached separately this time.

syslog.txt

I don't know what the "party line" is or what dockers/plugins you're running, but with 2GB of RAM I wouldn't be surprised if you are indeed running out of memory rather than it being a hardware problem.

Sorry man but I have to disagree. Given the OP is not running any Plugins or Dockers or VM's I would be VERY surprised if 2GB of memory wasn't enough for v6. If you're right I'll be VERY VERY surprised.

I get that with the reducing cost of hardware it allows developers the ability to develop away without worrying about hardware to some degree but there are so many unRAID users out there using "Old, reused, spare, minimal" Hardware I doubt LT would have developed v6 to run (without bells and whistles enabled) to need more than 2GB of memory!

Just my opinion!!

Sorry man but I have to disagree. Given the OP is not running any plugins or Dockers or VM's I would be VERY surprised if 2GB of memory wasn't enough for v6. If you're right I'll be VERY VERY surprised.

I get that with the reducing cost of hardware it allows developers the ability to develop away without worrying about hardware to some degree but there are so many unRAID users out there using "Old, reused, spare, minimal" Hardware I doubt LT would have developed v6 to run (without bells and whistles enabled) to need more than 2GB of memory!

Just my opinion!!

You may be right, especially as IG82, but I think we're seeing more of these out of memory errors recently, and it maybe just me, but I'm even starting to wonder if it's always hardware failure or something else instead, like increased requirements or a software issue..

Sorry man but I have to disagree. Given the OP is not running any plugins or Dockers or VM's I would be VERY surprised if 2GB of memory wasn't enough for v6. If you're right I'll be VERY VERY surprised.

Just my opinion!!

You may be right, especially as IG82, but I think we're seeing more of these out of memory errors recently, and it maybe just me, but I'm even starting to wonder if it's always hardware failure or something else instead, like increased requirements or a software issue..

I can't disagree with that because it is fact. If it does come down to the unRAID Software having ever increasing requirements on Hardware then LT are going to have to change their marketing slightly (which to be fair they are already in some way doing) though I think > 2GB for non application serving requirements and just basic NAS functionality is allot! Time will tell as the cases continue to be reported.

As for the OP here (and back on topic) I think checking the Hardware is a good step as he has built in accordance with requirements and should expect it unRAID to work as he is using it (basic NAS functionality) without unRAID crashing.

As for the OP here (and back on topic) I think checking the Hardware is a good step as he has built in accordance with requirements and should expect it unRAID to work as he is using it (basic NAS functionality) without unRAID crashing.

Agree, wholeheartedly...

Just not sure what else to suggest if memtest is fine...

Part of me wants to suggest 6.1.6 if I'm honest.

Try to run without the Nerdpack installed, there are some memory consuming programs included.

A better question to ask is how large is the Nerdpack download package and its size when it is unpacked for installation.  Remember the whole thing is going to reside in memory EVEN you you aren't using any of the individual programs.  Of course, running any of the programs will then require even more memory...

Try to run without the Nerdpack installed, there are some memory consuming programs included.

A better question to ask is how large is the Nerdpack download package and its size when it is unpacked for installation.  Remember the whole thing is going to reside in memory EVEN you you aren't using any of the individual programs.  Of course, running any of the programs will then require even more memory...

This is correct and @ 1gb of RAM, you will likely have problems trying to install anything.

"Nerdpack selector" plugin.

Given the consensus seems to be that 2GB with nerdtools is insufficient I stopped the memtest runs.  Partly triggered by the old TV I was using as a monitor giving up the ghost too!  I don't have anything else with VGA easily to hand, need to get a cheap monitor for my servers.

It had run 8 or so completed passes with no failures so should hopefully be ok.

Have removed nerdtools and am running similar transfers over again.