Losing Network Connection

Adam64

Hi All,  I'm having a strange problem and need some guidance on how to troubleshoot it. My unRAID box loses it's network connection periodically. Sometimes within a couple of days, and sometimes a week or two goes by then it happens.  The symptom I see is that nothing can connect to unRAID -- accessing files, telnet, the gui, rdp to VMs all stop working.  I've found that to solve it all I have to do is disconnect the ethernet connection and reconnect it. There's nothing in the log.  I've replaced the ethernet switch.

I'm using the built-in ethernet port on the motherboard:

00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V

My thought is to add a pcie ethernet card to see if that changes things.  Any other thoughts?

Edit:  I also changed from DHCP to static IP address to see if that changed anything.

You'll want to attach a monitor and keyboard to the system when the network drops and then login and type diagnostics at the command prompt, then press enter. Then type powerdown and press enter.  Then plug your flash device into your pc and grab the diagnostics zip file off the root of the flash device and upload it here.

You'll want to attach a monitor and keyboard to the system when the network drops and then login and type diagnostics at the command prompt, then press enter. Then type powerdown and press enter.  Then plug your flash device into your pc and grab the diagnostics zip file off the root of the flash device and upload it here.

Thanks Jon. Can you teach me to fish? I looked through the various files and didn't see anything that stood out as an issue (I'm not linux guru but am reasonable technical).  What would you look for?

The latest symptom is that my two Windows VMs intermittently lose the ability to connect to the internet and have to be rebooted to get it to work again.

With this symptom,  I would reboot EVERYTHING that is involved in the network--- (Switches, router, modem, DVD players, TV's, etc.).  All of these devices are computers running Linux and they can be come corrupted after being up for a long period of time.  Often a simple reboot will fix a gremlin.

In that case, let me tell you that I had similar situation a few months ago.  The only thing difference is that I wasn't losing the unRAID servers but WIN7 computers and media boxes.  Since I had multiple devices with issues, I deduced that it had to be a network problem.  I started rebooting individual network devices until I found the one that fixed the problem.  I found that I had a 'bad' switch. 

What I think the issue was that this switch was a 'green' switch that powered down ports that were inactive and also limited the power it was using on ports that seem to to be 'closer' to the switch.  Apparently, one of these two features was causing the switch not to power up the connection after service was requested.  Replacing the switch fixed the problem.  (Since, it was a 16 port GB switch, it was not a cheap repair.  But I reached the point where I had adopted the Auto mechanic's method of replacing stuff until I had it fixed!  Luckily, the switch was the first thing that I tried.) 

In that case, let me tell you that I had similar situation a few months ago.  The only thing difference is that I wasn't losing the unRAID servers but WIN7 computers and media boxes.  Since I had multiple devices with issues, I deduced that it had to be a network problem.  I started rebooting individual network devices until I found the one that fixed the problem.  I found that I had a 'bad' switch. 

What I think the issue was that this switch was a 'green' switch that powered down ports that were inactive and also limited the power it was using on ports that seem to to be 'closer' to the switch.  Apparently, one of these two features was causing the switch not to power up the connection after service was requested.  Replacing the switch fixed the problem.  (Since, it was a 16 port GB switch, it was not a cheap repair.  But I reached the point where I had adopted the Auto mechanic's method of replacing stuff until I had it fixed!  Luckily, the switch was the first thing that I tried.)

Yeah, thanks for that.  I actually thought I had the same problem here -- when it first happened I replaced my switch and started working again.  At that point i didn't know that just unplugging and re-plugging the cable fixed it.

Quick update:  I had a pcie ethernet card sitting around (intel desktop class, so probably won't use it for long-term) and put it in there.  We'll see how it goes.

One thing I have noticed already though is that the SMB access from my Win10 box to unRAID seems to be working flawlessly.  This is always been intermittently problematic since I first started using unRAID, and I assumed it was the SMB2/3 thing.  Could be placebo effect; don't know yet.

Well, sadly, the new NIC didn't fix the problem with the VMs losing access to the internet intermittently.  Wasn't sure how that would work because why would a hardware NIC be involved in a virtual bridge, but I was hoping.  :)

I changed the virtual switch name to br1 and the VMs seem to be working fine now.  So, for those that may be following this I'll say that I think the Intel NIC I218-V on my motherboard is either bad or has a driver issue.  To summarize:

Seemingly solved by replacing the Ethernet card:

- unreliable SMB connections

- lost connections to the server momentarily resolved by disconnecting and reconnecting the cable

Seemingly solved by renaming the virtual switch from br0 to br1:

- Windows VMs intermittently lose network access