Device is disabled, contents emulated...again....

A bit of history...

It happened the first time about three weeks ago. I noticed my server slowing incredibly and noticed a red triangle stating "Device is disabled, contents emulated" on one of my 3TB drives (WD30EURS). After searching and reading I followed the info I found in this thread https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=44253.msg422380#msg422380, checking all connections and re-seating everything. It took about 8 hours for the rebuild and all seemed well.

Five days ago it happened again (same drive), so this time I swapped the breakout cable coming from the controller and again following all steps as before as well as the diagnostics being okay, I again rebuilt with no issues and all was well once again.

Now, this morning (I check the server every day at least once) I awoke to the same drive , once again, showing that cursed red triangle! I now swapped the drive into a different slot in the back-plane on a different controller and once again it is rebuilding. I posted the Smart test Below. Unless there is something with the test I posted I suppose I am next going to replace the drive if or when this should happen again.

Can someone please check the test and see if anything stands out? Also, any opinions for something I can do other than the path i am taking would be great.

Thank you so much for all your help,

Ice

WDC_WD30EURS-63SPKY0_WD-WMC1T1399862-20160123-0830.txt

You have a Current_Pending_Sector, which is usually not a good sign, personally I'd run a few preclear cycles on that drive and see what happens

I agree.  But first, write down Attribute number 5--- Reallocated sector count.  If that number increases by more than one in the preclear cycles (Three cycles is a good number to use) , I (personally) would replace the drive ASAP!!! 

When I looked at the power hours of 25,399 which would indicate that this drive has been in service for almost 3 years, I would think it either out of warranty or about to be.  You could quickly check the WD website and find out.  You will need the model and serial number as I recall as the age is based on the manufacturing date based on serial number unless you can prove differently.  I have only send a few drives back over the years but I know they don't really check them when they are received.  (Turnaround time is too short for that.) So I assume they trust the customer to be honest about the drive being bad.  However, I would not be surprised to find out they maintain a database to identify customers who might be taking advantage of this policy. 

If it is out of warranty, I would definitely run three preclear cycles on it and see what happens.  It could be that it still has some more life left in it.  Remember that all manufacturers have a pool of  reallocation sectors to take care of ones that might/do fail.  It is a part of the design for all modern hard drives.  Plus, this will be the first sector that has had to be reassigned. If there had already been twenty (or more) reallocated, I would say replace it...

New drive should be in tomorrow, now I can preclear it and set it the same spot (same size) and just let it rebuild, correct?

See here for Official instructions:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6#Replace_a_Failed_Disk

As I recall, you also have to assign the new disk to the same slot as the one that you removed on the 'Main', 'Array Devices' Tab using the drop down list before you start the array.  (For that reason, you should know the serial number of the replacement disk.)  That info is not really stated in those words in the instructions.

Yes you must assign it to the same slot as the drive you are replacing to rebuild. And don't format anything!

Not sure how people get to that point when they are trying to do this, but unRAID should not offer to format the disk if you do it right, and formatting is never part of the rebuild process.

Formatting always means "write an empty filesystem to this disk". unRAID treats that write just like any other and updates parity so then your parity says the disk has an empty filesystem.