Powered down VM & GPU fans

Maniac

Hi,

I recently added a Win10 VM to my unraid, to my surprise without any hassle :) Everything works atm.

The VM has a dedicated GPU (GTX 670).

One thing I noticed is that when I power down the VM, the GPU fans kick inn to full power. So when the VM/GPU is not being used, it gets really noisy. :)

When the VM is powered up, the fans normalize and the noise is gone. I guess the GPU fans are controlled by OS or the drivers?

So at the moment I am keeping the VM powered on, even tho that was not my plan. I just wanted to use that VM when I want to game, now it has to be on all the time to keep the noise to a minimum.

So is this GPU specific or is it the way things work? I am planning to get a new GPU later this year, so I just want to know if this is to expect? Or is there something that can be delt with?

Thanks

Hi,

I recently added a Win10 VM to my unraid, to my surprise without any hassle :) Everything works atm.

The VM has a dedicated GPU (GTX 670).

One thing I noticed is that when I power down the VM, the GPU fans kick inn to full power. So when the VM/GPU is not being used, it gets really noisy. :)

When the VM is powered up, the fans normalize and the noise is gone. I guess the GPU fans are controlled by OS or the drivers?

So at the moment I am keeping the VM powered on, even tho that was not my plan. I just wanted to use that VM when I want to game, now it has to be on all the time to keep the noise to a minimum.

So is this GPU specific or is it the way things work? I am planning to get a new GPU later this year, so I just want to know if this is to expect? Or is there something that can be delt with?

Thanks

Hmm, that's interesting.  I have a 650 Ti and don't have that problem.  I think most don't have that issue at all.  I typically notice as I'm shutting a VM down that the fans spin up temporarily for the final shutdown sequence, but then they go quiet.  Are you saying if you shut down your VM and leave it there for an hour, it'd still be making noise?

Correct. When I added the card to my setup and powered up unraid, I heard it from the start. Very loud pluss with the "coil-whine" sound. It sat there like for at least hour, hour and a half until I got my win10 VM setup. When I assigned the GPU to the VM and powered it up, to my surprise, things went very quiet. I even gamed a bit, it was still quiet. All temperatures innside the case were normal.

Then when I was done, powered down the VM, and the fans started up again. Waited at least for 30 min... It became loud enough that I decided to power up the VM to keep it quiet :)

Yeah did that when I first started with my unRadi build. So I do have the latest one. :)  But it's ok. I'm planning to get a new card anyway.

I'm very impressed on how things are working right now. I have 2 VM running 24/7 and around 4 dockers. One of the VMs is actually used all the time (watch TV with it). And still, temps are normal, no sound from the fans, and the cpu usage is below 30%. In the process I've gotten ridd of 3 other devices that were doing all of this.

Money well spent. Thanks unRaid! :)

• 3 years later...

Sorry to revive a topic over 3 years old, but did you ever find a solution to your problem?

I am faced with the same scenario, upon first boot (from off-state) my GPU (secondary GPU - Asus GTX 970) is virtually dead silent the fan is spinning but at a very low rate. Upon VM start-up things are normal as well and fan speed is linked with GPU loads - under low load very low fan speed is observed.

However once I shutdown the VM (Win 10) the fans ramp up.

Rebooting Unraid solves the problem until the next VM cycle.

I prefer to not keep the VM running at all times - waste of CPU horsepower and energy, is there any way to fix this?

I am running the latest available BIOS for the card as well...

Edited by headnail
  • 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...