USB 3 vs USB 2

Are we talking about a drive in your pool connected via USB, or the unRAID flash disk itself?

The former, yes (though I wouldn't recommend). The later, no.

If I'm not mistaken, unRAID is loaded into RAM on system startup. I've personally tried both and haven't noticed a difference.

Do you mean for the boot flash device? I don't think the necessary drivers are present for unRAID to boot from a USB 3 port. unRAID can't use disks attached by USB. So that really just leaves unassigned devices managed by the Unassigned Devices plugin, which does benefit from the extra speed of USB 3.

yes for the flash device with the OS.  I was looking to purchase a new flash drive and the question was between the 8GB 2.0 and the 16GB 3.0 and if the $2 was worth it.  Not a huge savings, but if it is for something that will never be touched, then why bother with the 3.0.

@john_M  I have my flash stick plugged into the USB 3 port right now, so booting from the port would appear supported.