[FIXED] Some disk directories (and user share) appear empty via SMB

mattyx

Possibly a more likely cause of your problem is one I mentioned earlier in this thread:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/44292-fixed-some-disk-directories-and-user-share-appear-empty-via-smb/?do=findComment&comment=435880

It isn't really a Windows or Apple thing, it is a SMB thing. If you have accidentally created a user share that is the same name except for upper/lowercase, then when you share them with SMB you will only be able to see one of them. If you go to the Shares page, do you have this situation?

3 hours ago, trurl said:

The telnet login is the same as the webUI login. If you haven't set a password for the webUI, then the user is root and the password is blank.

I do wonder if you are really having the same problem or not though. Can you post screenshots that illustrate the files actually do exist on the server but they aren't being displayed when looking over the network?

Might also be useful if you posted your diagnostics. Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip to your next post.

How do I enter the user/pass in terminal? I type in the address and hit enter, but then I don't get an option to enter the info after the connected is refused. Excuse me if I'm doing it wrong, I don't have much experience using terminal. 

I'm currently not home to take any pics. It's actually an Nvidia Shield I'm connected to via SMB to my Mac. And I can confirm the files are 100% on the drive, because when I go to the folders on the Shield, the files are there. When connected on Mac, it shows 0 files in 2 folders. I was actually transferring files from one of those folders to another (the folder I was transferring to still has visible files) and after transferring a file, all the files then disappeared in the one I was transferring from.

I'll post the diagnostics when I get back home. Thanks! 

I'm sorry for being such a noob, but I don't have the tools/diagnostics option. Is that supposed to be in the Telnet application? If so, I'm using High Sierra which doesn't have Telnet. I'm using Telnet through Terminal which I installed through Homebrew.

Some things I noticed: I connected the server through SMB to another Mac (I also tried switching users on my main Mac), with the same results. I also connected it through SMB to my phone (Android) and I was able to see the files I can't see on a Mac.

Edit: I also created a new folder within one of the folders with all missing files. The folder immediately disappeared. I then made another one, which also disappeared. But the Mac knew the folder existed, because it created untitled folder 2. They were also present when I checked the files on the Shield's drive.

Edited by YouinAnotherform
4 hours ago, trurl said:

Possibly a more likely cause of your problem is one I mentioned earlier in this thread:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/44292-fixed-some-disk-directories-and-user-share-appear-empty-via-smb/?do=findComment&comment=435880

It isn't really a Windows or Apple thing, it is a SMB thing. If you have accidentally created a user share that is the same name except for upper/lowercase, then when you share them with SMB you will only be able to see one of them. If you go to the Shares page, do you have this situation?

No, I can confirm that isn't it.

7 hours ago, YouinAnotherform said:

Wow, so I found a really stupid "fix." I went on the Shield, I moved one random file from each folder, and now all the files are viewable on the folders via the Mac.

Well that fix doesn't make any sense so I don't have any confidence you have gotten to the bottom of your problem or that the fix will stick.

9 hours ago, YouinAnotherform said:

I don't have the tools/diagnostics option

In the Unraid webUI, near the top, you should have a line with various things that take you to other pages of the webUI, such as Dashboard, Main, ..., Tools. On the Tools page you will find another icon/link that takes you to the Diagnostics page. From there, you can download your diagnostics. It is a zip file. Attach the zip file itself to your next post.