Did i ruin my data?

So the story goes like this: i wanted to upgrade my 1TB Disk1 with a new 3TB Disk

1. i replaced the drive

2. i manually formated it in xfs (the entire array was on btrfs the old drive included)

3. i started the rebuild process (now i can't see some of my files)

My question is this, how can i replace the new 3TB drive with the old one (1TB) which has all the original files and create a new parity without losing any data?

Can someone explain how this could happen?  Sounds weird.  I mean, it doesnt seem like his formatting of the drive would have mattered because once unraid saw the 3tb replacement drive that it would have just recreated the old image from parity in a bit for bit way and then filled the rest of the disk with zeroes.  Why did he have data disappear?

Because when you format a drive you erase the contents on that drive.  Doesn't matter if the drive is emulated or not.  And if you format the emulated drive, a rebuild will represent that and all your data on the drive will be gone.

Formatting in unraid is no different than any other os.  It always means wipe the contents

Can someone explain how this could happen?  Sounds weird.  I mean, it doesnt seem like his formatting of the drive would have mattered because once unraid saw the 3tb replacement drive that it would have just recreated the old image from parity in a bit for bit way and then filled the rest of the disk with zeroes.  Why did he have data disappear?

You can format the disk as many times as you want before adding it to the array,  the OP mistake was trying to change the file system during a rebuild, he changed the disk to xfs before starting the rebuild, you can't do that, a disk has to be rebuilt with the same file system as the disk it's replacing, in fact if you have the option to format a disk during a rebuild you're doing something wrong.