$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

Garycase Just to be sure , I have these memory in my server now. http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/bls2kit4g3d1609ds1s00

Is it OK to use them on the asus board ASUS Z9PA-D8 ?

I think I have used the 8GB version on my Z9PE-D8 and it worked. But it might be it was some other brand as I had multiple modules available. I ended up buying 64GB ECC on eBay for almost the same price as one module cost here in Norway.

With that dual socket ASrock board price, I am tempted to jump!

I ordered one CPU, contemplating a second. However, I would require a new case. My old Antec 900v2 won't fit the bill on eATX. Any suggestions? I am running 2x 5in3 bays, all filled, and a 2in1 for SSD's.

Have a dedicated "server room" with my electronic equipment, filtered positive pressure, and not extremely concerned about noise. Just something easy to work on, and thatll either fit me 5in3's or comes with similar hot plugs.

Have to wonder how many UnRAIDers are now going to have superb E5-based systems as a result of these amazing deals on the processors !!

I'm VERY tempted ... although I certainly don't have any "need" for yet-another computer.

[but as noted earlier, just the mere desire to "have it" is more than sufficient reason  :) :) ]

Here's the system:

1. Solar World Panels - 285W (x24)

2. Growatt 6000MTLS-US Inverter http://growatt-america.com/html/2015/06/17/2015061709113026537298.html

3. New 200+ AMP Main Panel

4. AC disconnect

3. 8 to 12 additional 285W panels with EnPhase M250 Micro Inverters, in planning stage.

Located in Thousand Oaks. If you're in California and need a  new solar system just message me. ;-)

solar_roof.jpg.f0843d7a1d0be56d1265d24b6d3f3ce3.jpg

Off topic, but I suspect several are interested ...

Does your solar power setup have a battery bank to store energy for nighttime; or do you simply run off the grid when the cells aren't generating power?

And if your net power usage is negative (i.e. you feed the grid more than you use), do you still have a utility bill?

Here's my parts list:

1. NORCO RPC-4220 4U Rackmount Server Chassis

2. ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16 SSI EEB Server

3. Intel Xeon e5-2670 (2 cpu's from ebay @ $65 each)

4. Kingston 16GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR3 1600. (x2) starting with 16GB per CPU

5. Corsair Power Supply RM1000

6. Supermicro AOC - SAS2LP-MV8 Rev 1.00 (motherboard itself has plenty of Sata ports though) (x2)

7. 3ware CBL-SFF8087-05M 1 unit of 0.5m Multi-lane Internal (SFF-8087) Serial ATA cable (x4)

8. Noctua NH-U9DXi4 90mm SSO2 CPU Cooler (x2). Runs very cool and is low profile enough not to come close to Norco cover.

I haven't checked power usage but I do believe it idles around 200W. Honestly I'm not personally concerned with power usage now since recently installing a 6.85KWh Solar System. I'm feeding the grid an average of about 10.5KW daily on a nearly all electric house.

There's 6 case fans and 4 Noctua cooler fans, and of course the power supply fan. The unit is humming along, and I mean humming. Not as quiet as my NZXT H2 tower.

Shit, wish panels currently made any form of logical sense in north east ohio!

... Shit, wish panels currently made any form of logical sense in north east ohio!

All you need is the sun  :)

... I suspect we get a bit more hours of that in Texas (but I still don't have any panels).    I grew up in NE Ohio (Canfield) ... but left long ago.

Mentor here, Snow belt! Ive seen graphs showing us as among the least "sun hours" a day in the continental US. Something like 4.0 - 4.2. :(

http://www.solarenergybyzip.com/solarenergybyzip.php?byadd=1&street=&city=&state=&zip=44077&latitude=41.68389380000001&longitude=-81.22985299999999&kW=&building=0

Off topic, but I suspect several are interested ...

Does your solar power setup have a battery bank to store energy for nighttime; or do you simply run off the grid when the cells aren't generating power?

And if your net power usage is negative (i.e. you feed the grid more than you use), do you still have a utility bill?

On topic to some extent since the implementation of my new system would require more energy usage, and I was already a Tier 4 energy hog, the recent installation of my solar system and it's new energy efficient operation made it easier to finally purchase the two e5-2670 cpu's suggested in the OP and fire up the system after several months, almost a year, of waiting while parts rolled in a little at a time.

Each of the Xeon e5-2670's is rated at 115W x 2 = 230W, plus additional wattage from HDD's yet to be installed for a total of around 300-350W mostly nominal usage I suspect, and I will not be removing my current system from service as it will be used as a backup server. My server room / office consumes an average of about 500Wh daily. I will be using Kill-A-Watt Monitors to provide more accurate measurement of the power usage.

As far as the battery backup system we are still researching the tesla powerwall but still not convinced that the $3000.00 7KWh system is really worth it, and I'm thinking of installing 2 powerwalls. Then again I'm sure the cost can be justified after suffering a natural disaster. With battery backups we will still be able to view our Plex ;) . With enough battery storage I would essentially be off the grid.

No bills for a year on anything. We own the system. Good reason to take advantage of the situation and buy the two Xeons and fire up the new server. The solar program provides a tax break and the cost of the system is attached to our property taxes so when and if the home is sold I don't have to pay a red cent after the sale. The cost will be a little less than my current electric bill (x12 months) and the ROI is about 10-12 years. The solar panels are warrantied for about 25 years. In essence my new property tax bill will go up as much as my previous energy usage is for a year.

I'm a SoCal Edison customer and Net Energy Metering (NEM) approved.

As far as the sun hours per region is concerned; my solar system literally puts out about 500W as soon as the sun barely rises over the horizon. On cloudy days the solar systems produces more than 1.5KWh and as high as 2.5KWh on occasion.

I think I'm going to jump on the bandwagon. Are there any issues with the build below? The PSU is from my current build and will also power: 9 - 5400 RPM disks, 2 - SSD, GT730, HD6450. I debated on the dual cpu board, but would need a new case to accommodate the board (about $400 more).

I think I'm going to jump on the bandwagon. Are there any issues with the build below? The PSU is from my current build and will also power: 9 - 5400 RPM disks, 2 - SSD, GT730, HD6450. I debated on the dual cpu board, but would need a new case to accommodate the board (about $400 more).

Looks okay to me.    The PSU is a bit on the low-end, but if it's working okay now it should be okay.    It does have the EPS-12v connector you need; and even though an E5 almost certainly has a higher TDP than what you're using now, it won't normally be drawing anywhere near the max load ... and certainly not at the same time you're drawing startup currents for the drives, so the PSU should be fine.

Looks okay to me.    The PSU is a bit on the low-end, but if it's working okay now it should be okay.    It does have the EPS-12v connector you need; and even though an E5 almost certainly has a higher TDP than what you're using now, it won't normally be drawing anywhere near the max load ... and certainly not at the same time you're drawing startup currents for the drives, so the PSU should be fine.

Thanks. I'm currently using a FX-6300 (95 tdp), not much different. I'll order everything and upgrade the psu before adding more drives.

The best choice, of course, is to use a power supply with dual EPS connectors [e.g. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139083 ]

But one of these splitters will work as long as the total power demand doesn't exceed the power-handling capacity of the wire gauge used for the EPS connection from the power supply:  http://www.amazon.com/Motherboard-Supply-Y-Splitter-Adapter-Sleeved/dp/B0094PBKN8

Thanks Gary! I'll order one of those at the same time as my board.

I grew up in NE Ohio (Canfield) ... but left long ago.

Jesus...  I could probably throw a stone and hit your old house, hell, I probably drove by it today.. (Campbell, OH.)

Got any old friends here you wanna say hello to?

Back on topic, I suspect a LOT of unRAIDer's will be jumping in on this.  I already got my father in for a new build.  I was going to go with the ASUS dual socket ATX, and he with the ASRock.  I just have never been a fan of ASRock, I've burned through a lot of their boards due to QC issues...

But after reading the points, I may jump on the ASRock Dual socket...

I'm not familiar, could someone explain the premise behind the PIKE card option, on the ASUS Board?  Don't you drop one in and essentially have use of the 8 more SATA ports on the bottom of the board?

-D

CPU ordered. $69 shipped!  Amazing!  Now I keep going back and forth on should I go for the ful dual setup and order another one.  ::)

At this price? You'd be crazy not too! ;)

Anybody ordering: Don't forget your cooler, and if you're going dual: Make sure your PSU has 2 EPS connections (Thanks Gary!), otherwise order a splitter/adapter. Gary linked to a splitter above. If you have the extra PCI-e power cables, you could also buy an adapter and use one of them. My PSU has 4 of them, so I figured it was the better option.

Am I crazy for considering ordering two more as a 'just in case' for down the road if I want to build another server?

I mean DDR3 is still far from EOL, and at this price...  I see the potential for a couple of really good workstations, or another Server if needed.  Little background I own a new I.T. company, and looking to hire soon, so I see this as a good deal to pick up exceptional HW at a great price for the business.

Torn..

... How does one go about powering both cpu sockets? An adapter from a sata cable?

The best choice, of course, is to use a power supply with dual EPS connectors [e.g. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139083 ]

But one of these splitters will work as long as the total power demand doesn't exceed the power-handling capacity of the wire gauge used for the EPS connection from the power supply:  http://www.amazon.com/Motherboard-Supply-Y-Splitter-Adapter-Sleeved/dp/B0094PBKN8

I have this PSU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

DOn't know if this is a goof one or not ? can anyone look at the specification and tell if this is good for 2 CPUs ?

Now I'm hunting DDR3 memory for my ASUS Z9PA-D8 .....

//Peter

Thanks. looks great, Anyway I have changed my mine for dual core MB, it will be a single core MB -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182336

Would these memory be OK for this MB as well ?

//Peter

... I have this PSU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

DOn't know if this is a goof one or not ? can anyone look at the specification and tell if this is good for 2 CPUs ?

Yes, it's got plenty of power for a dual setup.  Assuming you have an unused PCIe 6-pin power connection, I'd buy one of the PCIe cable adapters instead of a splitter cable.  [ http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812198032&_ga=1.223685595.1766751458.1447302574 ]