$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

hmm the Define XL R2 does only have ATX and E-ATX, so yea, modifications for standoff are required.

im looking for other cases as well.

i will go for cpu-coolling with the noctua DH14-2011 edition, those are monsters and i need 165mm place for them.

also, i wan't dual PSU as backup. ( i got the enermax platimax 1500W 80plus platinum for just 150€ due to damaged "packaging" :-) )

my thoughts so far are:

SilverStone TJ07B  299€

Corsair Obsidian 900D 399€ (seems only HPTX support, no SSI-EEB, so also some "drilling" requried)

Lian Li PC-A79A 349€ (also drilling requ.?)

Lian Li PC-D8000A 344€ (also drilling requ.?)

anyone has one of those and can recommend?

All hardware installed  8)

Hi,

I bought the same setup as you!  How food you set up your CPU fans?  I couldn't set them up in lint to blow out the back...they were touching...so I set mine up to blow across my mobo....did you do the same?

Edit:  my mistake...I bought the x9drl-f...dual core

What case are you using? Those coolers don't stick up nearly as much as I thought they would.

Supermicro Sc933.  Those are technically 2u coolers.

Ah, my mistake. I was mixing up your coolers with another poster who was buying the SNK-P0050AP4 cooler.

I would like to have bought those, but, alas, they are too tall for my case.

I think I'm going to buy these for my second build:  http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-workstation-server/nh-d9dx-i4-3u.html

Guys will these work together?

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10DAL-I-O ATX Server Motherboard Dual LGA 2011 Intel C612

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182967

MATCHING PAIR SR0H8 INTEL XEON E5-2670 8 CORE 2.60GHz 20M 8GT/s 115W PROCESSOR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATCHING-PAIR-SR0H8-INTEL-XEON-E5-2670-8-CORE-2-60GHz-20M-8GT-s-115W-PROCESSOR-/351554796361?hash=item51da4c7b49:g:WvcAAOSw~OVWy1sA

This RAM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820014073

Usage will be mostly 1 or 2 Plex streams, Sab, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, rTorrent, and file storage. No VMs.

Thanks,

H.

Guys will these work together?

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10DAL-I-O ATX Server Motherboard Dual LGA 2011 Intel C612

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182967

MATCHING PAIR SR0H8 INTEL XEON E5-2670 8 CORE 2.60GHz 20M 8GT/s 115W PROCESSOR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATCHING-PAIR-SR0H8-INTEL-XEON-E5-2670-8-CORE-2-60GHz-20M-8GT-s-115W-PROCESSOR-/351554796361?hash=item51da4c7b49:g:WvcAAOSw~OVWy1sA

This RAM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820014073

Usage will be mostly 1 or 2 Plex streams, Sab, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, rTorrent, and file storage. No VMs.

Thanks,

H.

Sorry but no.  That motherboard is for the newer versions of LGA-2011.  It's confusing because they both are called LGA-2011, but the new ones add the R3 to it. 

Also that RAM is DDR3 and the board takes the newer DDR4.

I ask them and get about $47 for 2 to Sweden. before they would have $155 for shipment!!

For shipping to Scandinavia one can use a forwarder like jetcarrier. I have used them some times and use them now for CPU, memory and motherboard.

The good thing about them, is that you do not pay tax (moms) for the shipping they charge. They have a shipping calculator so you can check how much it will cost (If you know the size and weight).

Sorry but no.  That motherboard is for the newer versions of LGA-2011.  It's confusing because they both are called LGA-2011, but the new ones add the R3 to it. 

Thank you BigWorm... glad I asked. Does the ASRock in your post above work OK?

Thanks, again.

H.

Thanks, again.

H.

I will find out this weekend.  But there is a couple of other guys running it in this post and it has worked well.

I have it and it's working quite well. Only issue I have (and it did it again btw), is the IPMI incorrectly reads the CPU temperature on occasion and the IPMI monitoring plugin that I'm using sends me a panicked email that my cpu is melting...

I thought it was fixed with a firmware and bios that I got from ASRock, but problem has occurred once since I flashed it. Though, before it lasted for quite some time. This last time I received an "all clear" email ten seconds after the initial event...

Not sure if it's a flaw in my board, or an intrinsic issue with this model. No one else has reported having the issue, so maybe I'm just lucky :)

I have it and it's working quite well. Only issue I have (and it did it again btw), is the IPMI incorrectly reads the CPU temperature on occasion and the IPMI monitoring plugin that I'm using sends me a panicked email that my cpu is melting...

I thought it was fixed with a firmware and bios that I got from ASRock, but problem has occurred once since I flashed it. Though, before it lasted for quite some time. This last time I received an "all clear" email ten seconds after the initial event...

Not sure if it's a flaw in my board, or an intrinsic issue with this model. No one else has reported having the issue, so maybe I'm just lucky :)

I have the same board, with the same incorrect temp reporting, as does my father on one of his boards, (he has two), I think the second one he's having issues with the server freezing up after a few hours, but this may be anything from the CPU, to RAM, to the board.  We don't know yet.

My board runs great, but I've only keept it up long enough to run stress, heat, and stability testing, (Of which I have quite some data to post up, hopefully this weekend, the business has taken priority, and I've been quite busy as of late.)

I haven't configured the IPMI reporting as of yet, nor installed the new BiOS DoeBoye posted up.  I did download it, but again just haven't had time to implement on the server yet.

One thing that frustrated me for the few minutes I spent on it this weekend is the NIC's.  First they appear to be labeled wrong in the manual, as what should be the IPMI dedicated nic is actually LAN1 and it also takes over the LAN port below it, (if you're looking at the rear I/O panel straight on I'm referring to the right half [top & bottom] of the quad cluster).  I tried playing with the bonding settings under the IPMI config, but I got frustrated and gave up, had work to do.  The rest of the NIC's don't appear to match what's in the manual as far as labeling.

hernandito ,

The RAM you're looking at is WAY to expensive.  Don't make the mistake I almost did.  Another member posted a link to some memory on E-bay (64GB [8x8GB] DDR3L-PC10600 Registered ECC) for a damn good price.  Read up a little bit in the posts, I posted the links in several messages.

Are these processors E5-2670 still worth purchasing for UnRaid even though there are newer versions (v2, v3)? Wouldn't it be better to put your dollars toward the latest versions versus these older chips and hardware or am I not going to see that big of a performance difference?

This thread's getting too long...  People aren't bothering to read previous posts.

Are these processors E5-2670 still worth purchasing for UnRaid even though there are newer versions (v2, v3)? Wouldn't it be better to put your dollars toward the latest versions versus these older chips and hardware or am I not going to see that big of a performance difference?

V2 and V3 are $1600 each.  While this V1is going for $70ish.  So I say no way is it worth going to the latest.