$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

Are these processors E5-2670 still worth purchasing for UnRaid even though there are newer versions (v2, v3)? Wouldn't it be better to put your dollars toward the latest versions versus these older chips and hardware or am I not going to see that big of a performance difference?

zQYCL0Y.png

I stand corrected. I work in an IT environment and come across many Procs/Memory/Drives/etc. A lot of these type of Procs etc. are being thrown away. I will start to scavenge the memory and Procs and sell them. I'll see what I am available to grab.

If I wanted to setup up a dual processor UnRaid box using server equipment would I be able to get the server to be whisper quiet and still maintain cool temperatures? If I set one up I would be using it within my home. Currently I have a i5-3570K running my UnRaid box as well as a dedicated gaming box running a i7-5820K. I wouldn't expect the Xeon to produce better results than the i7 but I'm sure a dual proc would easily out pace the i5.

According to http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SR/SR0H8.html this S-Spec (SR0H8) doesn't support VT-d; or at least it isn't listed under "Features", whereas the same CPU with the SR0KX S-Spec does have VT-d listed.

I don't know whether this is just an omission on CPU World, and I can't find anything definitive on the Intel website.

Are these processors E5-2670 still worth purchasing for UnRaid even though there are newer versions (v2, v3)? Wouldn't it be better to put your dollars toward the latest versions versus these older chips and hardware or am I not going to see that big of a performance difference?

You do the math: these processors at $70 ($140-$150 for 2), or v3 processors at $1700 ($3400 for 2).  :o

zQYCL0Y.png

I stand corrected. I work in an IT environment and come across many Procs/Memory/Drives/etc. A lot of these type of Procs etc. are being thrown away. I will start to scavenge the memory and Procs and sell them. I'll see what I am available to grab.

If I wanted to setup up a dual processor UnRaid box using server equipment would I be able to get the server to be whisper quiet and still maintain cool temperatures? If I set one up I would be using it within my home. Currently I have a i5-3570K running my UnRaid box as well as a dedicated gaming box running a i7-5820K. I wouldn't expect the Xeon to produce better results than the i7 but I'm sure a dual proc would easily out pace the i5.

There are, of course, other factors than just cost -- but it's certainly true that at the prices these systems are available at they're a GREAT value.  A few thoughts ...

=>  The CPU's being sold at these discounts aren't the retail products ... they're older steppings and in some cases engineering samples -- be SURE that you buy a stepping that has vt-d or you'll likely be disappointed if you set up virtual machines.

=>  They are certainly FAR better values than a new E5-2670v3, but if you check e-bay you'll see that the v3's are occasionally available for $500-750 or so.    Still pricier ... but for a 12-core/24-thread CPU with a PassMark of 16686, this compares fairly well against a 2-CPU setup using the older 2670 8-core processors (PassMark of the dual CPU setup is 18418].    One of these vs. 2 of the older CPUs would draw half the power, let you use a smaller single-CPU motherboard, support DDR4 memory instead of the older DDR3 [On the other hand, you won't get the superb deals on memory that you can get for the older boards], etc.

=>  None of these are going to be "whisper quiet" systems compared to using newer, lower-TDP systems that can be cooled with lower airflow; but a single-CPU system is easier to cool than a dual-CPU setup.    Of course, you an always go to liquid cooling, but this adds somewhat to the complexity of the setup.

=>  These deals have had me looking on e-bay to see just how cheaply you can get older Xeons ... and while these are undoubtedly the best prices (due to the very large quantities that were available), there are actually quite a few good deals for other Xeons as well, including several "L" processors, which has slightly lower PassMark scores, but TDPs of only 70w, which will make it much easier to build "whisper quiet" setups.    And there are quite a few v2 bargains, and even an occasional v3 chip at good prices (like the 2670v3 I noted above).

Bottom line:  It's certainly true that at the excellent prices of the chips, and especially with the VERY low pricing for compatible registered RAM modules, you can't match the performance of these with newer technology without spending a fair amount more $$  ... but it's not nearly as much of a difference as it seems by comparing the costs with the retail pricing, as there are also some fairly good values for the newer chips on e-bay.    These ARE very good values, but using newer technology that you also acquire via the used market is nowhere nearly as bad as "... Ten times the cost for 1.5 times the performance/cores"  => it's more like double the cost.

Should be a fun weekend project.  :D

ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16

2 - E5-2670

2 - Noctua's NH-U12DX i4

64GB RAM

total spent?

I already had the power supply just setting there.  The rest is roughly about $750.  I originally was looking at spending about $500.  But I think the extra $250 is way worth it.  :D

Looks good Worm, really close to my setup, though I spent a couple hundred more going with another 64GB RAM and a new server rack mount case.

On the topic of noise:

My server runs damn near silent.  the only thing I hear audibly is the exhaust fans but it's barely anything.  I have volt modded my mid case fan wall to 7v instead of 12v, and every PWM fan on the motherboard headers are set to smart temp control.  Even at full CPU utilization in my torture test, (Which was over 3 hours), my temps never went above 68C on the second CPU, (Keep in mind CPU0 blows it's exhaust straight into CPU1).

I guess my point is, set these babies up right, and you can have a performance beast, that's pretty silent.

Pro Tip re: temps: Examine the performance of your case fans if they've been in use for awhile. Mine were 4 years old, and were not spinning as fast as they should at max speeds. Was never an issue with the old system, but this dual cpu monster is putting out way more heat and the underperforming fans were not clearing heat like they should. I replaced them with 3 new fans and my HD temps dropped more than 5 degrees Celsius.

Hello unraid community members ,  i wanna give a quick shout out to Shamalamadindong for starting this thread. AS well as the rest of major senior forum members for such a good find!

Just thought i start by saying that this thread has inspired me to research and take the plunge!

oh yes 

2 x E5-2670's  SRokX  (from DDS as in original link)are on their way to me over here in in the UK

64GB RAM  from cloudninja

Very much keen to have the

ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16 https://www.servercase.co.uk/shop/components/motherboards/intel/asrock-rack-ep2c602-4ld16-server-board-intel-c602-2011-ssi-eeb-quad-gb-lan-ipmi-lan-serial-port--ep2c602-4ld16/

its probably best price and i find and ive used that company before.

What i'm having great dificulty is finding a rack case for this in the uk/europe  that has 16-20 hotswap with SSi-EEB suport

Now whilst Noroc brand racks are really easy to purchase in the states.  Over in europe ive seen how its rebranded/carbon copy if you will  as Logic-Case.

So Norco RPC-4216  is closet ive seen but on this suppliers site it states it wont fit this board.  any thoughts?

Thanks guys  sorry for the long winded post.

links:

Logic-Case http://www.logic-case.com/products/rackmount-chassis/4u/

RPC-4216 https://www.servercase.co.uk/shop/server-cases/rackmount/4u-chassis/4u-server-case-w-16-x-35-hot-swappable-satasas-drive-bays-6gbs-minisas-+-2-x-525-bays-sc-4316/

Anyone in the UK or europe can help me track down a decent supplier i'll be grateful.

will be posting my current server details in sig asap :)

*side note - damn import taxes grr  :o

You do not need to worry about finding cases that supports ssi-eeb. It is the same size as extended atx. The only difference is the screw holes. That is easily fixed by buying some plastic/nylon standoffs as long as the gap between the bottom of the case and the motherboard.

This is if you use a rack case as the mother board will rest on the stand offs. If you use a normal standing case I would not do it as the stand offs doesn't give any support unless you make holes in the case to fasten the stand offs in.

Heads up: Servethehome is discussing a vendor selling these cpus as well as ram and mobo to match. There was some early skepticism as to their legitimacy, but one user is posting tracking info and the feeling is that they are ok... They also seem to have a phone number in the states, and will answer questions etc...

Here's the thread.

Here's a link to the dual mobo for US$175.

Again, not vouching for these guys. Just passing on info on a well priced dual mobo.

What's the general consensus on motherboards? Which do more of you like best? I'd love to put together a UnRaid box capable of delivering all of my Plex Media Center media as well as VDI my desktops to dumb clients. Not sure if using VDI would allow me to also be able to game from said dumb client but if not then just running KVM from the server box and gaming that way.

I currently have a purposed gaming PC but if I can consolidate all into this one server and still game without a huge impact on the performance then I believe this is the solution I am looking for.

Do any of the boards running this Proc handle USB3 and multiple SATA6 connectors? The majority I have looked at are using SATA3 but I suppose I could add in SATA6 PCIE cards.

What's the general consensus on motherboards? Which do more of you like best? I'd love to put together a UnRaid box capable of delivering all of my Plex Media Center media as well as VDI my desktops to dumb clients. Not sure if using VDI would allow me to also be able to game from said dumb client but if not then just running KVM from the server box and gaming that way.

I currently have a purposed gaming PC but if I can consolidate all into this one server and still game without a huge impact on the performance then I believe this is the solution I am looking for.

Do any of the boards running this Proc handle USB3 and multiple SATA6 connectors? The majority I have looked at are using SATA3 but I suppose I could add in SATA6 PCIE cards.

I tend to buy supermicro boards over any of the others if it's going in a server.  The E5-2670 @ 2.6Ghz isn't the best gaming cpu.  It will work but there are better (higher clocked) chips to buy if you are serious about gaming on it.

Sata3 = 6 gbps.  So basicly sata3 is sata6.

Heads up: Servethehome is discussing a vendor selling these cpus as well as ram and mobo to match. There was some early skepticism as to their legitimacy, but one user is posting tracking info and the feeling is that they are ok... They also seem to have a phone number in the states, and will answer questions etc...

Here's the thread.

Again, not vouching for these guys. Just passing on info on a well priced dual mobo.

If I've been reading correctly these boards will not work with these cpus because they're v1.

Am I incorrect?

Here's the thread.

If I've been reading correctly these boards will not work with these cpus because they're v1.

Am I incorrect?

The blurb on their site only mentions v2, but v1 and v2 chips share the same socket.

Assuming I have the model number correct, Intel lists the e5-2670v1 as compatible with this board

http://ark.intel.com/products/56333/#@compatibility

EDIT: I tried their shopping cart, and it doesn't look like they ship outside of the US... Not sure if a manual order will be different...