$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

What's the general consensus on motherboards? Which do more of you like best? I'd love to put together a UnRaid box capable of delivering all of my Plex Media Center media as well as VDI my desktops to dumb clients. Not sure if using VDI would allow me to also be able to game from said dumb client but if not then just running KVM from the server box and gaming that way.

I currently have a purposed gaming PC but if I can consolidate all into this one server and still game without a huge impact on the performance then I believe this is the solution I am looking for.

Do any of the boards running this Proc handle USB3 and multiple SATA6 connectors? The majority I have looked at are using SATA3 but I suppose I could add in SATA6 PCIE cards.

I tend to buy supermicro boards over any of the others if it's going in a server.  The E5-2670 @ 2.6Ghz isn't the best gaming cpu.  It will work but there are better (higher clocked) chips to buy if you are serious about gaming on it.

Sata3 = 6 gbps.  So basicly sata3 is sata6.

Thanks Tums. I mistakenly typed SATA3/6. Most of the boards I have looked at support more SATA2 versus SATA3 ports. As said before it probably doesn't matter as you can allocate PCIE SATA3 cards if you want to take advantage of the faster SATA3 connections.

I run a i7-5820K right now for gaming so don't think that makes me a serious gamer but I do tend to purchase the better GPU's on the market every few years. So far my current gaming rig runs all games at the Highest settings although there might be a few out there that will force me to run it a notch lower. For me being able to develop a Windows Lab environment would be much more important than gaming so I can see where the extra memory and cores could be beneficial.

My current Unraid box has an i5 3570K so putting together this Xeon setup will definitely exceed my gaming PC. Passmark for my 5820K is ~13000 and the Xeon 2670 is ~12500/dual is ~18500. I'd say that would be better than my gaming rig unless I am missing something else. 

Heads up: Servethehome is discussing a vendor selling these cpus as well as ram and mobo to match. There was some early skepticism as to their legitimacy, but one user is posting tracking info and the feeling is that they are ok... They also seem to have a phone number in the states, and will answer questions etc...

Here's the thread.

Here's a link to the dual mobo for US$175.

Again, not vouching for these guys. Just passing on info on a well priced dual mobo.

I hate you....

S2600CP Intel Motherboard with Dual LGA 2011 socket 16 DIMM Motherboard LGA2011 S2600CP

1 $175.00 $175.00

E5-2670 Intel Xeon E5-2670 SR0KX 2.6GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) 20MB L3 Cache LGA2011 115W Eight-Core

2 $65.00 $130.00

M393B1K70CH0-YH9 Samsung 8GB 2Rx4 PC3L-10600 DDR3-1333MHz ECC Registered CL9 240-Pin DIMM 1.35v Low Voltage Dual Rank Memory Module Mfr P/N M393B1K70CH0-YH9

8 $14.00 $112.00

Subtotal: $417.00 shipped

And yes it comes with heatsinks...

What's the general consensus on motherboards? Which do more of you like best? I'd love to put together a UnRaid box capable of delivering all of my Plex Media Center media as well as VDI my desktops to dumb clients. Not sure if using VDI would allow me to also be able to game from said dumb client but if not then just running KVM from the server box and gaming that way.

I currently have a purposed gaming PC but if I can consolidate all into this one server and still game without a huge impact on the performance then I believe this is the solution I am looking for.

Do any of the boards running this Proc handle USB3 and multiple SATA6 connectors? The majority I have looked at are using SATA3 but I suppose I could add in SATA6 PCIE cards.

I tend to buy supermicro boards over any of the others if it's going in a server.  The E5-2670 @ 2.6Ghz isn't the best gaming cpu.  It will work but there are better (higher clocked) chips to buy if you are serious about gaming on it.

Thanks Tums. I mistakenly typed SATA3/6. Most of the boards I have looked at support more SATA2 versus SATA3 ports. As said before it probably doesn't matter as you can allocate PCIE SATA3 cards if you want to take advantage of the faster SATA3 connections.

I run a i7-5820K right now for gaming so don't think that makes me a serious gamer but I do tend to purchase the better GPU's on the market every few years. So far my current gaming rig runs all games at the Highest settings although there might be a few out there that will force me to run it a notch lower. For me being able to develop a Windows Lab environment would be much more important than gaming so I can see where the extra memory and cores could be beneficial.

My current Unraid box has an i5 3570K so putting together this Xeon setup will definitely exceed my gaming PC. Passmark for my 5820K is ~13000 and the Xeon 2670 is ~12500/dual is ~18500. I'd say that would be better than my gaming rig unless I am missing something else.

I think the deal with gaming is that most games don't take advantage of a multi core cpu. So less cores with higher frequencies (even a single core) will be better than more cores at lower frequencies.

I think what matters is the passmark score for a single core/thread on the CPU rather than the whole score

For games it's not about overall performance, most games only use 1-2 threads and run better with higher clock speeds as opposed to more cores.  Your 5820k is clocked @ 3.3ghz. so you should definitely get better performance in gaming with it, how much I don't know.  All I can say is try it.  You always have the 5820k to game on if you need to.

Heads up: Servethehome is discussing a vendor selling these cpus as well as ram and mobo to match. There was some early skepticism as to their legitimacy, but one user is posting tracking info and the feeling is that they are ok... They also seem to have a phone number in the states, and will answer questions etc...

Here's the thread.

so the board comes with heat sinks?

Again, not vouching for these guys. Just passing on info on a well priced dual mobo.

I hate you....

S2600CP Intel Motherboard with Dual LGA 2011 socket 16 DIMM Motherboard LGA2011 S2600CP

1 $175.00 $175.00

E5-2670 Intel Xeon E5-2670 SR0KX 2.6GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) 20MB L3 Cache LGA2011 115W Eight-Core

2 $65.00 $130.00

M393B1K70CH0-YH9 Samsung 8GB 2Rx4 PC3L-10600 DDR3-1333MHz ECC Registered CL9 240-Pin DIMM 1.35v Low Voltage Dual Rank Memory Module Mfr P/N M393B1K70CH0-YH9

8 $14.00 $112.00

@TUMS

I agree with your choice of supermicro for a server.  But for a workstation, I want a motherboard that can go to sleep -- which the supermicro boards cannot do.  I've been looking at an Asus z9pe-d8 ws to use as a my primary workstation. I would love to know if the ASRock server boards can go to sleep?

Agreed. For workstation boards there are probably better choices.  They sell a few different workstation boards but i've never owned one.  I wasn't aware that there was a sleep issue, sorry.

@TUMS,

I think server boards don't sleep because servers are supposed to be on 24x7.  Lime Technology has given the same reason in the past as to why Unraid does not support sleep.

These CPU's draw a lot of power, even at idle, so I really want my work station to go to sleep when I'm not using it. For me, this means the supermicro x9 series boards are not the best choice. 

I would really like to hear from someone with the ASRock board if the bios has a setting to enable s3 sleep? 

I hate you....

What heatsinks does it come with?

I don't have room for full height CPU coolers.  3u max height.

It shows the heatsinks in the pic.  Officially only a few people have gotten them, i would keep a look out on the server thread.

They look like standard passive units...

Here's the thread.

If I've been reading correctly these boards will not work with these cpus because they're v1.

Am I incorrect?

The blurb on their site only mentions v2, but v1 and v2 chips share the same socket.

Assuming I have the model number correct, Intel lists the e5-2670v1 as compatible with this board

http://ark.intel.com/products/56333/#@compatibility

EDIT: I tried their shopping cart, and it doesn't look like they ship outside of the US... Not sure if a manual order will be different...

I contacted them earlier.  They will ship to Canada but its not cheap.  USPS was like 65USD.

Looks good Worm, really close to my setup, though I spent a couple hundred more going with another 64GB RAM and a new server rack mount case.

Trust me, really thinking hard of contacting the seller and buying another 64GB RAM as long as they can match the ones I have already.  ;)

Do it!  I did the same thing, I just contacted LizAnn by phone let her know what I was up to, she can check if they have the part number in stock to match your previous purchase.  She asked that I just specify in my order comment what part I was wanting exactly.

Do I need 128GB of RAM?  Probably not, but with the amount of VM's I'll be running for my business, most of which will be test labs for various server OS's it's not going to hurt to have it, at the price I paid.

... I have volt modded my mid case fan wall to 7v instead of 12v ...

With this mod, what kind of temps are you getting for your disk drives during heavy use (e.g. a parity check) ??    ... and how many disks do you have installed?

Well, here's the thing.  I haven't fully completed my set up.  So I've yet to run a parity check, but at idle the drives are around 25-27C.  With the amount of airflow in this case I highly doubt with max drives at full load I'll be over 33C.

The Norco RPC-470 has amazing airflow.  Which is an amazing case for $86.00, really, if anyone is looking for a rack mount server case, you really should consider this case.

NORCO RPC-470 Black 4U Rackmount Server Case - OEM

So far I have 6 installed HDD, 3 in each of the 5 HDD stock sleds, set in the 1, 3, 5 spots, and I have an empty iStar 5in3 in the center. 

Here's the set up Cooling wise:

2x (One in the front of each 5HDD Sled), Fan speed controlled via PWM Fan header on MoBo Managed by Smart Control:

Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PL-PS 120mm x 25mm Ultra Quiet PWM Fan

The iStar 5in3 has a 80mm in the back set to low RPM:

iStarUSA BPN-DE350SS-SILVER 3x5.25" to 5x3.5" SAS/SATA 6.0 Gb/s Tray less Hot-Swap Cage

I have a stock Fan wall in the Norco case which have 4 80mm's that scream at 12v, these are the fans I modded down to 7v.  Big noise reduction, with minimal airflow sacrifice.

These push air to the CPU coolers, Controlled off a 'Y' splitter to the MoBo CPU PWM Header Managed by Smart Control:

Noctua NH-U9DXi4 90mm SSO2 CPU Cooler

The CPU coolers then exhaust to the rear case fans:

SilenX EFX-08-15 80mm Effizio Quiet Case Fan

Believe it or not the only thing I hear are the exhaust fans, and a small hum from the CPU coolers.

Some Eye Candy If you're curious what how the server's looking:

Juggernaut

I'm going to post up some Bench, Stress, and Stability Testing results hopefully tomorrow, then it goes in the rack.

@TUMS,

I think server boards don't sleep because servers are supposed to be on 24x7.  Lime Technology has given the same reason in the past as to why Unraid does not support sleep.

These CPU's draw a lot of power, even at idle, so I really want my work station to go to sleep when I'm not using it. For me, this means the supermicro x9 series boards are not the best choice. 

I would really like to hear from someone with the ASRock board if the bios has a setting to enable s3 sleep?

This is all that my ASRock EP2C602 mobo has in the bios for ACPI configuration

"Suspend Mode" [Enable]/[Disable]

I can't really test it since I'm running ESXi on the machine, but maybe someone with windows can give sleep a try.

20160227_153937_2.jpg.30a8f1e62fb31f5bcf1c1336ccfe1710.jpg

Has anyone gotten these chips to run over 3.0ghz? My understanding is they should turbo to 3.3, but even when I have all cores running at 100%, they never go over 3.0ghz....

Also, a tip: I lost my IPMI visual display. Stats and control was fine, but the java window could not make a connection so I could go into the bios.

Turns out, if you install a videocard, make sure to set the onboard video as primary in the bios. This board defaults to PCI-e, and that seems to confuse the IPMI, and you lose the jviewer connection.

Has anyone gotten these chips to run over 3.0ghz? My understanding is they should turbo to 3.3, but even when I have all cores running at 100%, they never go over 3.0ghz....

Also, a tip: I lost my IPMI visual display. Stats and control was fine, but the java window could not make a connection so I could go into the bios.

Turns out, if you install a videocard, make sure to set the onboard video as primary in the bios. This board defaults to PCI-e, and that seems to confuse the IPMI, and you lose the jviewer connection.

I believe turbo only boosts one core not all at once.

If you run software that only maxes out a single core, you should get the turbo boost (according to my understanding at least)

Well...

I HAD this magnificent plan..

I WAS going to set up my two Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD's in a Hardware RAID0 then install Win10 Pro.  I WAS going to do every benchmark and stress test imaginable, including throwing in my Twin MSI GTX 980Ti Golden editions and benching the performance there.

Then I WAS going to load up unRAID, create a Win10 Pro VM and do it all over again to compare performance and stress/heat/stability results.  I WAS also going to get the full gamut of unRAID type test results, including Heat, Disk I/O to the SSD Cache & Array, Network speeds, all of it...

This was until the last 3 hours I'm stuck at trying to load windows 10....  Yes my friends...  The failure of windows to find my Hardware RAID0 SSD array to install to has beaten me...

I've tried everything, even moving to different SATA ports on the MoBo and setting them up as a non RAID disks.  I can't seem to find pre-installation Drivers for this board to get Windows to see the drives.

I guess I'll just be doing all unRAID testing, which is ok, I mean it's what I built the machine for anyway.

Would've been fun to appease my curiosity though.

Well...

I HAD this magnificent plan..

I WAS going to set up my two Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD's in a Hardware RAID0 then install Win10 Pro.  I WAS going to do every benchmark and stress test imaginable, including throwing in my Twin MSI GTX 980Ti Golden editions and benching the performance there.

Then I WAS going to load up unRAID, create a Win10 Pro VM and do it all over again to compare performance and stress/heat/stability results.  I WAS also going to get the full gamut of unRAID type test results, including Heat, Disk I/O to the SSD Cache & Array, Network speeds, all of it...

This was until the last 3 hours I'm stuck at trying to load windows 10....  Yes my friends...  The failure of windows to find my Hardware RAID0 SSD array to install to has beaten me...

I've tried everything, even moving to different SATA ports on the MoBo and setting them up as a non RAID disks.  I can't seem to find pre-installation Drivers for this board to get Windows to see the drives.

I guess I'll just be doing all unRAID testing, which is ok, I mean it's what I built the machine for anyway.

Would've been fun to appease my curiosity though.

I find it VERY hard to believe that Windows 10 won't install on a C602-based board.    After you gave up on the RAID configuration, did you set the SATA ports to AHCI mode?

And it should be even simpler as a VM, since the emulated hardware is VERY standard.