$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Would you consider returning the board if it ends up behaving the same as mine after the bios flash, or would you just live with it?

Anyone else seeing this behaviour who bought this board?

I honestly still haven't had time to flash all the firmware updates for this rig, and I just got two new RAID controllers in today to add to that list of needing flashed.  My business is just slammed as of the last two weeks.

I will report back once I get time to finalize the configurations.

What do you guys use to fold? VM or Docker?

I actually have never folded before.  Literally.

This would be my first attempt, so I'l have to do some digging around the forums here, to implement on my new unRAID server.

Finally capped some images below. Really happy with the setup, however need to do something about cooling/noise. I have this box in a dedicated closet, complete with filtered intake air; however the setup is currently still too noisy for me. I can hear it during quiet scenes when in my theater room, and the neighboring tinkering room. Would prefer not to hear it outside the closet at all.

Currently have airflow reversed, pulling from the back and exhausting the front. Need to relocate my rooms air intake in order to effectively be able to swap that. Right now, the air intake to the room is sitting directly behind my case. Also need to clean up my cable routing, at some point soon. :)

If anyone has any pointers on lowering her temp, specifically the 4 center cooling fans, would be appreciated.

Kinda of conflicting questions here:  You ask to lower noise, then to lower temps.  Gonna be hard to satisfy one and sate the other.

It looks like you have the same case I went with, Norco RPC-470.  I volt modded my mid-wall fans down to 7v. Made a big difference on noise, and didn't reduce airflow that much.  I also have all other fans running off the MoBo PWM fan headers set to Smart control through BiOS.  Idles nice and quite.

Edit:  The Volt Mod only requires you to move one of the Fan Wall's 4-PIN molex wires.  The red one specifically.

You can see the mod exactly in the Last two pics of my system here: Juggernaut

The power molex for the mid-wall is just poking out the pass through hole in front of the PSU.  Notice the Black And Red Wire Positions.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Would you consider returning the board if it ends up behaving the same as mine after the bios flash, or would you just live with it?

Anyone else seeing this behaviour who bought this board?

I honestly still haven't had time to flash all the firmware updates for this rig, and I just got two new RAID controllers in today to add to that list of needing flashed.  My business is just slammed as of the last two weeks.

I will report back once I get time to finalize the configurations.

What do you guys use to fold? VM or Docker?

I actually have never folded before.  Literally.

This would be my first attempt, so I'l have to do some digging around the forums here, to implement on my new unRAID server.

Finally capped some images below. Really happy with the setup, however need to do something about cooling/noise. I have this box in a dedicated closet, complete with filtered intake air; however the setup is currently still too noisy for me. I can hear it during quiet scenes when in my theater room, and the neighboring tinkering room. Would prefer not to hear it outside the closet at all.

Currently have airflow reversed, pulling from the back and exhausting the front. Need to relocate my rooms air intake in order to effectively be able to swap that. Right now, the air intake to the room is sitting directly behind my case. Also need to clean up my cable routing, at some point soon. :)

If anyone has any pointers on lowering her temp, specifically the 4 center cooling fans, would be appreciated.

Kinda of conflicting questions here:  You ask to lower noise, then to lower temps.  Gonna be hard to satisfy on and sate the other.

It looks like you have the same case I went with, Norco RPC-470.  I volt modded my mid-wall fans down to 7v. Made a big difference on noise, and didn't reduce airflow that much.  I also have all other fans running off the MoBo PWM fan headers set to Smart control through BiOS.  Idles nice and quite.

Edit:  The Volt Mod only requires you to move one of the Fan Wall's 4-PIN molex wires.  The red one specifically.

The power molex for the mid-wall is just poking out the pass through hole in front of the PSU.  Notice the Black And Red Wire Positions.

Completely unreleated just curious what is your business.

Looks like 600W PSU won't cut it, i'm getting 1 5 4 4 beep code. :(

Plugged in my 750W rosewill capstone from my gaming computer and it posted.  Time to order a new PSU.

picked up this - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K85X23O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B1 80+ BRONZE, 750W Semi Modular 5 Year Warranty Power Supply 110-B1-0750-VR

Fingers crossed it'll work, it does include 2 eps 8 pin connectors and only $54

I have put my system together at home. I have a question about sound. I got the asrock **602**/D16 from newegg and it doesn't have sound output. Can I get sound from video card output or do I need to install a sound card? I have intel coolers on the processors, and they idle quietly. They do sound like several hair dryers when they go full speed, but I'm ok with it.

Small to medium size business I.T. consultation.  Mostly infrastructure and business productivity analysis.

Basically your on call, as needed I.T. company for the businesses that can't dedicate the capitol in house.

Sounds like a good job, not get stuck at a desk.

Got my board from natex.us, it doesn't look like its going to fit in my mATX case.......

Anyhoo i need to score me a PS so i can test it i currently don't have one for two procs.

(yes i know this is a server board)

EDIT# actual board model S2600CP2J

only has 6 sata connetors, good thing i bought the raid card

Looking to do a build and came across this thread.... Have a question or two....

About the only single CPU ATX board I can find for these is the (happy for other recommendations)

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9SRL-F.cfm

No PCIe x16 though (x16 slots but x8). Probably not an issue as I'd only be thinking of running a HTPC off one of the slots but would like a Nvidia 960 in there. Is there much of an issue running that card in an x8 slot? I'll want at least 3 cards in there but I should be ok with some x8 cards in the other slots.

I was looking to buy the E5-2620v3. Is there much real world difference in the idle power draw of these two chips?

I'll go with the cloudninjas RAM.

Base topology config yields...

waQgRHq.png

23,231 on passmark after configuring the topology as 2 sockets, 8 cores, 2 threads..

Huh, passmark seems to like it more if you designate just one socket

This is from 1 socket 16 cores and 2 threads

ptknQ8v.png

Okay....weird, my best run comes from 1 socket 32 cores and 2 threads....

2U0tnKB.png?1

I have put my system together at home. I have a question about sound. I got the asrock **602**/D16 from newegg and it doesn't have sound output. Can I get sound from video card output or do I need to install a sound card? I have intel coolers on the processors, and they idle quietly. They do sound like several hair dryers when they go full speed, but I'm ok with it.

You need to look for a video card that has hdmi output, and you can pipe sound via the hdmi cable. I asked for a recommendation on low cost video card w/ hdmi sound a couple of pages back on this thread... there were some useful responses.

If you want audio NOT through hdmi cable, This I think would require a sound card, or (I assume) a USB audio adapter. Not sure of your needs, thus cannot recommend what to do.

Kinda of conflicting questions here:  You ask to lower noise, then to lower temps.  Gonna be hard to satisfy one and sate the other.

haha nice catch. My final sentence should have read lower noise, not temps. My temps are just fine. :)

Thanks for the fan wiring suggestion, will give it a shot in the morning.

Putty Not Working via VPN Remotely

Prior to making the switch to the Supermicro MB and the dual Xeons, from my work, I was able to connect to my home (where unRAID server is) via my router's VPN feature. Since the switch, I am not able to putty into my unRAID. I AM able to browse the unRAID shares, drives,etc. I can also browse the unRAID webGUI and all Docker interfaces.

Does anyone know if there is something with this motherboard that would prevent me from doing this? Not sure if its the mb's fault or something else entirely. IPMI is enabled and also working via VPN. I have rebooted everything, including the router and no luck.

Many thanks,

H.

Putty Not Working via VPN Remotely

Prior to making the switch to the Supermicro MB and the dual Xeons, from my work, I was able to connect to my home (where unRAID server is) via my router's VPN feature. Since the switch, I am not able to putty into my unRAID. I AM able to browse the unRAID shares, drives,etc. I can also browse the unRAID webGUI and all Docker interfaces.

Does anyone know if there is something with this motherboard that would prevent me from doing this? Not sure if its the mb's fault or something else entirely. IPMI is enabled and also working via VPN. I have rebooted everything, including the router and no luck.

Many thanks,

H.

Did you update your port forwarding for SSH access in your router? (assuming your internal IP has changed with the new server)

Did you update your port forwarding for SSH access in your router? (assuming your internal IP has changed with the new server)

Thank you Drider. I left internal IP the same... I VPN through my router and in essence, at work, I am on my home network. I can see my shares, webGUI, etc. Only thing its not doing is connecting via Putty. If I am on one of my computers at home, I can putty with no problem. Only fails when going in through the VPN.

Thank you Drider. I left internal IP the same... I VPN through my router and in essence, at work, I am on my home network. I can see my shares, webGUI, etc. Only thing its not doing is connecting via Putty. If I am on one of my computers at home, I can putty with no problem. Only fails when going in through the VPN.

SSH access would have not change because of a board change, it would if you changed the IP. Could your router be blocking SSH?

SSH access would have not change because of a board change, it would if you changed the IP. Could your router be blocking SSH?

Yeah it makes no sense that it would be the motherboard. I can ssh from inside my home network.... I will try to muddle through it. Thanks you guys.

Wow the board did not like the 750W EVGA PSU either.......what a waste.

Anyways I completely swapped out my gaming rig PSU with the evga one I ordered, board boots up, then one of the DIMMs didn't work.  So I decided to flash the bios and voila! All dimms working perfectly.

I wonder if the EVGA psu will work now lol.  I'm happy that its finally working though!

All my parts were ordered from Natex, highly recommended.

EDIT: Spoke too soon, the dimm worked temporarily then it stopped.  Oh well 112GB ram is still enough.

POWER.png.f64edab64750708592de516653681c37.png

Hello,

So I need a little help from anyone with the ASRock EP2C602-4L MB.

So I got everything hooked up last night. Turned on the server and unraid booted with no problems,unraid saw all my drives. I did notice that some of the ram wasn't present and also IOMMU was disabled.

So I shut it down re-seated the ram (which fixed the isseu) and enabled IOMMU in the bios.

I then ran memtest86 for half the night to check the ram.

When I booted back up only two out of 4 drives are being seen by unraid. When I look in the bios it does see all the drives.

I tried different cables with no luck. I'm using the white sata 3 ports. The bottom 2 ports are working the other 4 ports closest to the ram aren't. I've tried all 4 of them.

Now I didn't spend much time looking into it as it was late.

Would enabling IOMMU cause this issue. I will do more troubleshooting once I get off work but wanted to see what ideas you all had.

Thanks

Looking to do a build and came across this thread.... Have a question or two....

About the only single CPU ATX board I can find for these is the (happy for other recommendations)

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9SRL-F.cfm

No PCIe x16 though (x16 slots but x8). Probably not an issue as I'd only be thinking of running a HTPC off one of the slots but would like a Nvidia 960 in there. Is there much of an issue running that card in an x8 slot? I'll want at least 3 cards in there but I should be ok with some x8 cards in the other slots.

I was looking to buy the E5-2620v3. Is there much real world difference in the idle power draw of these two chips?

I'll go with the cloudninjas RAM.

You probably want this one if you get a v1 or v2 chip:

http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=EPC602D8A#Specifications

2 x PCIE3.0 x16, 4 x PCIE3.0 x8, 1 x PCIE2.0 x8