$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

Big thanks to Shamalamadindong, Drider, and everyone else that has provided input in this thread.

Got my box setup (dual cpu, 64gb ram, 850 ps) and everything seems stable. I'm just running it through it's paces right now.

I had one question about core temps. I'm using the Noctua NH-U9DXi, which are solid, and my CPU temps at idle are 37/39. During full load (prime 95) it is stable at 62/71. What is the experience of temp differential between cpu1 and cpu2 for others?

I checked the seating on cpu 2 and it's proprly tightened. I might have put a little extra thermal paste on cpu2 but not sure. Cpu1 exhausts onto Cpu2 so part of the increase would be based on that. Also right now the case is open with no fan wall, and no rear fans.

Question about ram as well. Someone posted 64gb at a good price at natex. Is there a concern if I pick up an additional 64 gb there? Or is it best to go back to cloudninja's to find a matching set.

Note for anyone buying anew Norco 4224 they come with the os tray and 120mm fans now. I'll check the temps once I have reinstalled the fan brackets (with new fans) and upgraded the rear fans.

Thanks!

Big thanks to Shamalamadindong, Drider, and everyone else that has provided input in this thread.

Got my box setup (dual cpu, 64gb ram, 850 ps) and everything seems stable. I'm just running it through it's paces right now.

I had one question about core temps. I'm using the Noctua NH-U9DXi, which are solid, and my CPU temps at idle are 37/39. During full load (prime 95) it is stable at 62/71. What is the experience of temp differential between cpu1 and cpu2 for others?

I checked the seating on cpu 2 and it's proprly tightened. I might have put a little extra thermal paste on cpu2 but not sure. Cpu1 exhausts onto Cpu2 so part of the increase would be based on that. Also right now the case is open with no fan wall, and no rear fans.

Question about ram as well. Someone posted 64gb at a good price at natex. Is there a concern if I pick up an additional 64 gb there? Or is it best to go back to cloudninja's to find a matching set.

Note for anyone buying anew Norco 4224 they come with the os tray and 120mm fans now. I'll check the temps once I have reinstalled the fan brackets (with new fans) and upgraded the rear fans.

Thanks!

You're most welcome!

I show the exact same temps on my CPU's at both idle and full prime 95 load.  I was setup the same CPU0 blows into CPU1 then out the rear exhaust.  I turned CPU1 90 degrees so it exhausts to the PSU intake and pulls what I had hope cooler air, but ended up with the same temps.  30 degrees from TJ Max under full load I can live with at about a 10 degree difference between the two processors.

For RAM I would stick with matching if it's all going into the same system.

I did just buy another 2x 8x8GB RAM this time from NATEX for my second server.  My first set was a complete set from cloudninjas 2x 8x8GB.

From what I can see Natex have the cheapest CPU and RAM ($50 cheaper than Cloudninjas on eBay)

http://www.natex.us/Intel-Xeon-E5-2670-SR0KX-2-6GHz-3-3GHz-Turbo-20M-p/e5-2670.htm

http://www.natex.us/64GB-8x8GB-PC3L-10600R-2RX4-DDR3-1333MHz-ECC-REG-p/64gb-(8x8gb)memory.htm

Highly recommended bought 2 cpus, mobo and ram from them last week, they shipped fast and it was packaged very well, all parts up and running - all for cheap prices than ebay :)

Great, thanks. Did you get the Nanya or Kingston RAM from Natex?

For the ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16 boards (Or any other ASRock EP2C602), has anyone managed to get a PWM fan working properly on the rear fan headers? I can set it to "Full On", or a specific level, but it never seems to change the speed based on the temp.

"Full On" is always blasting full speed (2000RPM). "Level 6" runs my PWM case fans at around 1500 RPM... etc etc...

I assumed during a parity check (when my temps are higher), the PWM fans would ramp up (If set to something other than "Full On"), but no such luck... Is this expected behaviour?

[Edit] Typo and small clarification :)

Can any share any info on the ASRockRack boards in relation to VT-x and IOMMU. I see in the manual that the EPC602D8A supports VT-d but this is the extend of it in the manual.

Intel® VT-d

Use this item to enable or disable Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O.

The default value is [Disabled].

Also have people been able to assign any of the USB's to VM's, maybe the on-board headers rather than the rear ports.

From what I can see Natex have the cheapest CPU and RAM ($50 cheaper than Cloudninjas on eBay)

http://www.natex.us/Intel-Xeon-E5-2670-SR0KX-2-6GHz-3-3GHz-Turbo-20M-p/e5-2670.htm

http://www.natex.us/64GB-8x8GB-PC3L-10600R-2RX4-DDR3-1333MHz-ECC-REG-p/64gb-(8x8gb)memory.htm

Highly recommended bought 2 cpus, mobo and ram from them last week, they shipped fast and it was packaged very well, all parts up and running - all for cheap prices than ebay :)

Great, thanks. Did you get the Nanya or Kingston RAM from Natex?

Nanya 64GB pack

A quick question on Supermicro's X9SRL-F boards. Can the on-board graphics be used for the unRAID UI? Or are they for board management?

Its awesome... you can use it for the unRAID UI... A really cool thing too is that with IPMI, you can launch a terminal window from your browser, and you can remotely monitor the boot process... and you can edit the bios! REMOTELY!

A quick question on Supermicro's X9SRL-F boards. Can the on-board graphics be used for the unRAID UI? Or are they for board management?

Its awesome... you can use it for the unRAID UI... A really cool thing too is that with IPMI, you can launch a terminal window from your browser, and you can remotely monitor the boot process... and you can edit the bios! REMOTELY!

OK that's interesting if I can use the on board graphics. It means that a PCIe slot is freed up for other use.

OK that's interesting if I can use the on board graphics. It means that a PCIe slot is freed up for other use.

Also what RAM are you running on the board (have a link)? A bit concerned I might end up with "unsupported" RAM

Also what RAM are you running on the board (have a link)? A bit concerned I might end up with "unsupported" RAM

The link below is the one I bought. Others here are saying that there is a better deal at Natex. If you match the specs in the link I sent to the Natex, it should be fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201380486027?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

When I first installed it, the board would not go past post screen. Error code it flashed stated a problem with RAM. I started with 2 simms at a time, in the slots outlined in the manual. Then I added 2 dimms at a time test and testing boot, they all worked until eventually all eight dims worked fine. Not sure if it was something in the RAM, or a setting in bios I later changed. It would be a good idea for you to run the memtest overnight.

When I first installed it, the board would not go past post screen. Error code it flashed stated a problem with RAM. I started with 2 simms at a time, in the slots outlined in the manual. Then I added 2 dimms at a time test and testing boot, they all worked until eventually all eight dims worked fine. Not sure if it was something in the RAM, or a setting in bios I later changed. It would be a good idea for you to run the memtest overnight.

Why would this be?  This is exactly what happened to me but now everything works...

So it idles at 200 watts, and almost all games cant use the 2nd cpu, half the games can use 8 cores, and half can use 16, but zero can get any core past 30% usage.

Overall not bad, but if you live on the coast Thats an extra $100 of free room heating in just 12 hours a day of it being on per year.

I think ill stick with my 35 watt idle baby i3 (4000 crystalmark) for a little while longer :)  Worse case i can pop in a 8500 crystalmark xeon 12XX v3 in it.

Idles at 200w?  Can you elaborate? 

Monster video cards?  Wrong PS?

Some have gotten theirs to idle at 70 watts.  What have you got in your server to cause that?

Regarding the lack of use of all the cores, this is a software issue. Game developers aren't writing for beasts like yours.  These systems are more ready to run Facebook , Google than the latest action game.  And some games are better coded for multi core than others.

The only other thing hooked up to the system is a gtx 970 (like 40 watts idle, they can idle fanless?) and 2 spinning hds. No super powerfull fans and a hes got a stock consumer power supply.

I have not seen anyone idle at 70 watts with a 32nm setup.  Even my low power amd with an apu idled at 70 watts.

Just got to look at mine for the first time.  Using a Antec NEO ECO 620 bronze PS, and running 1 CPU and 2 x 8gb RAM in an Intel 2600 mb from NATEX, mine idles at 60w at the unRaid 6.1.3 login screen as measured by my UPS.  No drives are in the system yet, and I need a second power lead before I can hook up the 2nd cpu. 

@jwegman has his running at 72w at the Windows 2012 server boot screen.  I still don't understand why you are idling at 200w on yours.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=46077.msg451270#msg451270

Why would this be?  This is exactly what happened to me but now everything works...

It may just be bad "seating" of the RAM.  2 times out of the 15 I've reconfigured my system (The Dual 2670 ASRock) I've had post errors regarding memory.  The nice thing about the ASRock's they tell you during post what exact DIMM is at fault, to power down, and re-seat the DIMM in question.  both times I've done this, it's fired right back up no problem.

Don't forget we're using server grade stuff here, it can be quite....  Finicky

What are you using for PSU?  I've got an 850W Corsair but it doesn't have the 8 pin EPS connector.  Not sure if I can use an adapter or not?  Also, any concerns if I mount this board in a case that only accepts e-atx? Looks like some of the internal mouthing locations are different.

Edit: Nevermind on the adapter. Drider slapped some sense into me! ;)

Need a little help from someone with the asrock ep2c602-4l/d16.

What are the options when it starts booting up? Like F11 to enter bios.

Is there a restore default setting?

I ended up disabling the on board graphics and of course the gpu I installed isn't working. So I have no way to get into the bios to change it.

I ended up disabling the on board graphics and of course the gpu I installed isn't working. So I have no way to get into the bios to change it.

I don't have that mobo but I just looked up the specs and it has ipmi. Have you tried using that to get back into the bios?

I don't have that mobo but I just looked up the specs and it has ipmi. Have you tried using that to get back into the bios?

Yes. I'm able to get into it but the remote connection just downloads a Java file. I believe an applet is supposed to open it but all its does is downloads it. I installed java to see if it would pop-up the applet but it doesn't.

Yes. I'm able to get into it but the remote connection just downloads a Java file. I believe an applet is supposed to open it but all its does is downloads it. I installed java to see if it would pop-up the applet but it doesn't.

If you can get into the ipmi screen, under the maintenance tab is a restore factory defaults option ... That may reset your bios... I think the Java applet is just for the remote viewing function...

On second thought, maybe just want to go old school and remove the cmos battery for 30 seconds or so and short the "Clear CMOS Pad"

clearCMOS.PNG.0f166ef1f827e2ab09d82249bcc6fc4a.PNG

clearCMOS2.PNG.5ef1a1f11a6806ae148c8b61606bee7f.PNG

If you can get into the ipmi screen, under the maintenance tab is a restore factory defaults option ... That may reset your bios... I think the Java applet is just for the remote viewing function...

Finally got it.

I was able to finally get it through IMPI.

Finally got it.

I was able to finally get it through IMPI.

For anyone who doesn't know the the Java applet is the actual IPMI interface.  You download it then run the .exe

And to note, the applet is a one time use between boots of the server, so if you reboot, you'll have to download the applet again.

Hrrmpf.

For everyone with the ASROCK EP2C602-4L/D16

the Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 are too big to place togehter with air-flow to pull push up in my case.

so i have to place them like this:

they are in contact.

Do you think it would make a big impact that the air is pushed from CPU1 to CPU2 and then out of the case?

2016_03_16_23_16_20.jpg

Hrrmpf.

For everyone with the ASROCK EP2C602-4L/D16

the Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 are too big to place togehter with air-flow to pull push up in my case.

so i have to place them like this:

they are in contact.

Do you think it would make a big impact that the air is pushed from CPU1 to CPU2 and then out of the case?

Can you rotate one of the heatsinks 90 degrees? I had to do that with my non-Noctua heatsinks.

I have a question about VM's using 2 of these. I want to use unraid as a NAS, plex server and then I just want to run windows 10 like a regular PC. Does plex have to be set up as a separate VM? If not, can I assign 28 threads to Windows machine along with most of the ram (I have 64gb)? How much ram should I leave for unraid? Also, if later I want to let plex do more streams, do I just reconfigure the windows VM with say 24 cores? There is probably a different place to ask this, but I figure that people here might have a little more insight into this issue. Thanks.