$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

So, first thing I'd suggest that you do, is update the BIOS and BMC firmware.  2nd, confirm if you can ping the IP address that you are statically assigning (from a remote system).  I bet you have a simple network setting misconfiguration.  If you cannot ping the ipmi IP, then you obviously won't be able to do anything else with it.

I haven't updated the firmware, and suddenly it's working.  User or password misconfig I think.

root@Tower:/# ipmitool -I lan -H 192.168.3.91 -U root -P 0000 chassis power status
Chassis Power is off
root@Tower:/# ipmitool -I lan -H 192.168.3.91 -U root -P 0000 chassis power on
Chassis Power Control: Up/On
root@Tower:/# ipmitool -I lan -H 192.168.3.91 -U root -P 0000 chassis power status
Chassis Power is on

Thanks for your help.

Noticed I am getting low voltage readings on my ASRock Rack board for sensors VCCM1/2. Is this something I need to concern myself with? If not, how do I ignore or remove the alerts I am getting on unRaid for these voltage readings?

I get the same error. That is your memory voltage. If you bought low voltage memory, then that number should be around 1.35v. If it is much lower than that, you may have an issue.

Unfortunately, though the board supports low voltage memory, it doesn't seem to understand that it is ok to be under 1.5v, and so periodically panics that the voltage is too low. I believe you can go use some command line tools (listed in this thread), to edit the thresholds for most things. I haven't tried yet, but it is on my list :).

So I decided to scrap my original shopping list and go with these xeons.

Originally I was going to use the AsRock EP2C602-4L/D16 board but then I followed the link to the Natex site and found that they have complete combos for sale

http://www.natex.us/product-p/intel-s2600cp2j-128gb.htm

What-- if anything-- would I be losing out on if I went with the Intel S2600CP over the AsRock?

So silly question but do you need to add CPU fans or are the heatsinks enough that are shown?

Also would this ps work with the mb - CORSAIR CXM series CX600M 600W ATX12V v2.3 SLI CrossFire 80?

Thanks

Anyone using the Intel Pstate trigger for frequency throttling?

label unRAID OS

menu default

kernel /bzimage

append intel_pstate=disable initrd=/bzroot

I had this set on my box with my "old" e3-1245v3 in it, as the frequency never stepped down without it. I am wondering if I need it for these "new" e5's....

So I decided to scrap my original shopping list and go with these xeons.

Originally I was going to use the AsRock EP2C602-4L/D16 board but then I followed the link to the Natex site and found that they have complete combos for sale

http://www.natex.us/product-p/intel-s2600cp2j-128gb.htm

What-- if anything-- would I be losing out on if I went with the Intel S2600CP over the AsRock?

So silly question but do you need to add CPU fans or are the heatsinks enough that are shown?

Also would this ps work with the mb - CORSAIR CXM series CX600M 600W ATX12V v2.3 SLI CrossFire 80?

Thanks

Basically came to ask the same question -- I order the combo from Natex and it has shipped. I expect to have it early next week. I believe it comes with heatsinks -- is that adequate or am I supposed to add additional cooling?

Unrelated but how does sound work for VMs? I know I need to passthrough a GPU for video so if I want two VMs that have monitors they each need a graphics card so is that true of sound as well -- do you need to add a sound card for each VM?

label unRAID OS

menu default

kernel /bzimage

I had this set on my box with my "old" e3-1245v3 in it, as the frequency never stepped down without it. I am wondering if I need it for these "new" e5's....

I do not have that in my append and my cores step up and down with no issues.

For those of you wondering about the cooper heat sinks, I would only use those if you are using a server grade board that has ducting over the heatsinks to let a fan pull air directly off of them. Even with the Supermicro 4U coolers my CPUs hit 64-67C under full load.

For those of you wondering about the cooper heat sinks, I would only use those if you are using a server grade board that has ducting over the heatsinks to let a fan pull air directly off of them. Even with the Supermicro 4U coolers my CPUs hit 64-67C under full load.

Since the Natex combos come with the Intel S2600CP(J), do you think the copper heatsinks will do?  If not, what would you recommend?

EDIT:  Sorry, I missed the part about the ducting.  I don't see how this is easily added to the copper heat sinks that come with the board?  Or am I missing something?

label unRAID OS

menu default

kernel /bzimage

I do not have that in my append and my cores step up and down with no issues.

Hmm, I removed the flag and definitely notice a difference. My cores almost never step down to the 1200 mhz they did before I removed the flag...

Capture.PNG.351b3e18735a364cd3dc8cc316bc97eb.PNG

Looking for case and PSU.

Since the Phanteks are the only tower-style SSI EEB cases under $300 I can get locally I guess that decision is made unless there is some reason I should avoid those.

For PSU I was thinking

SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold (SS-650KM Active PFC F3) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Hasw

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088&cm_re=SeaSonic_X_Series-_-17-151-088-_-Product

Is that an appropriate PSU?

Looking for case and PSU.

Since the Phanteks are the only tower-style SSI EEB cases under $300 I can get locally I guess that decision is made unless there is some reason I should avoid those.

For PSU I was thinking

SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold (SS-650KM Active PFC F3) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Hasw

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088&cm_re=SeaSonic_X_Series-_-17-151-088-_-Product

Is that an appropriate PSU?

I just picked up an EVGA 850W Platinum for $100 (there was a $20 rebate).  I think the Seasonic is a good choice - I was looking at the 850W version in the Good Deals forum here and that's how I ended up with the EVGA.  I suppose 650W just depends on how many drives you plan to install, how much power they consume and if you're doing any VM's (with GPU)?

I've also been looking for cases that support SSI EEB but I'm considering trying to modify the removable MB plate in my current case (Lian Li PC-P80) since I already have 3 in 4 drive cages for a total of 16 drives in the front of the case.  I'm pretty confident I can make the board fit but I'm concerned about cooling.  Are you just using the copper heatsinks that came with your e5 combo from Natex or are you changing them out for active cooling?  If so, what are you looking to get?  Hard to tell if two of these would fit but comments seem to suggest they would:

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Thermal-Solution-Processors-BXSTS200C/dp/B007HJAM50/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1459026837&sr=1-1&keywords=bxsts200c

I mentioned this once before in this thread;  there are (what I take to be) cheap NIB Intel P4000M server chassis *with* quality server power supplies available on ebay.  So, with people spending a $100+ on a power supply, they may want to consider one of these (specifically if they also jumped on the Intel S2600CP mobo from natex.us).

Then this morning, I bought this  chassis (from the same seller) for a second system; which at $50 less, I think is an even BETTER deal!:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201107937542 (with a $100 accepted offer + $30 shipping)

- This is a "Intel P4216XXMHGR Server Chassis 4U Rack 750W Hot-Swap New Bulk Packaging"

...this comes with (2) 750watt redundant PS, two 120mm fixed cooling fans, and 16x2.5" HSBP (two 8x2.5" enclosures)

They also have other chassis models with configurations containing 5x80mm redundant cooling fans instead of the 2 fixed 120mm fans (and different HSBP configs), however I suspect that the two 120mm fixed fans are quieter overall.

Note, you'll *also* want the matching S2600CP airduct (this also comes with a 'unique' cable kit containing a main power extension and some SAS and SATA cables): http://www.ebay.com/itm/381083917540 (they accepted my $10 offer +shipping):

- This is a "Intel FCPUPMAD Air Duct Required for Intel Server Board S2600CP In P4000M New"

*edit; here's the URL to the tech specs of the P4000M chassis family:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/p4000m/sb/g27488005_p4000m_tps_r1_2.pdf

I know you have recent experience recently with these cases for the 2600cp2 motherboards from Natex.  I have ordered my second 2600cp2, and want to put it into one of these.  They also have the 460w version, did you consider it?  (It may not include the second psu) 

I don't expect to need 750 watts  (currently my first 2600cp2 is running with a 500w psu).

This will be for, a high end WordPress / WooCommerce internet web server, so redundant psu's will be used.  The number of drives and add on cards will be minimal.  460w should be sufficient, if dual redundant psu's are as good as the 750w version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-P4308XXMHDN-Server-Chassis-4U-Rack-460W-Hot-Swap-New-Bulk-Packaging-/181437537309?hash=item2a3e851c1d

I believe you purchased the duct and the RMM module.  I will need them both.  What about cabling??  I might not need more than the 6 ports included, but may add a RAID card. 

Is there any other hidden gotchas to these cases?

I mentioned this once before in this thread;  there are (what I take to be) cheap NIB Intel P4000M server chassis *with* quality server power supplies available on ebay.  So, with people spending a $100+ on a power supply, they may want to consider one of these (specifically if they also jumped on the Intel S2600CP mobo from natex.us).

Then this morning, I bought this  chassis (from the same seller) for a second system; which at $50 less, I think is an even BETTER deal!:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201107937542 (with a $100 accepted offer + $30 shipping)

- This is a "Intel P4216XXMHGR Server Chassis 4U Rack 750W Hot-Swap New Bulk Packaging"

...this comes with (2) 750watt redundant PS, two 120mm fixed cooling fans, and 16x2.5" HSBP (two 8x2.5" enclosures)

They also have other chassis models with configurations containing 5x80mm redundant cooling fans instead of the 2 fixed 120mm fans (and different HSBP configs), however I suspect that the two 120mm fixed fans are quieter overall.

Note, you'll *also* want the matching S2600CP airduct (this also comes with a 'unique' cable kit containing a main power extension and some SAS and SATA cables): http://www.ebay.com/itm/381083917540 (they accepted my $10 offer +shipping):

- This is a "Intel FCPUPMAD Air Duct Required for Intel Server Board S2600CP In P4000M New"

*edit; here's the URL to the tech specs of the P4000M chassis family:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/p4000m/sb/g27488005_p4000m_tps_r1_2.pdf

I know you have recent experience recently with these cases for the 2600cp2 motherboards from Natex.  I have ordered my second 2600cp2, and want to put it into one of these.  They also have the 460w version, did you consider it?  (It may not include the second psu) 

I don't expect to need 750 watts  (currently my first 2600cp2 is running with a 500w psu).

This will be for, a high end WordPress / WooCommerce internet web server, so redundant psu's will be used.  The number of drives and add on cards will be minimal.  460w should be sufficient, if dual redundant psu's are as good as the 750w version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-P4308XXMHDN-Server-Chassis-4U-Rack-460W-Hot-Swap-New-Bulk-Packaging-/181437537309?hash=item2a3e851c1d

I believe you purchased the duct and the RMM module.  I will need them both.  What about cabling??  I might not need more than the 6 ports included, but may add a RAID card. 

Is there any other hidden gotchas to these cases?

I personally wouldn't go with the 460watt CRPS (common redundant power supply).  From the specs, those are 80+ gold certified (which is good), but the 750's are platinum (best).  So the 750's are more efficient than the 460's.  If there's no difference in price, then I think that there should be no reason not to get the 750's.

My non-redundant 550watt is silver efficiency, and what I would consider bare minimum.  The nice thing about the 550watt is that there's no fan in the PS, so it's silent unlike the little fans in the CRPS units which can get loud when they get spinning fast (which I haven't yet seen with my 750's in practice beyond server powerup when all fans are spinning 100% for a brief period).

Note that the single 550watt isn't PMBus capable unlike the CRPS units.  PMBus is cool as it feeds info back to the BMC and provides various sensors that are pretty informative.

Regarding the RMM4LITE module; that's only required if you need iKVM (remote keyboard/video/mouse) and usb media redirection (being able to mount a USB device from a client computer to the server; you can even boot the server with it).  If you don't have the RMM4LITE module, you still have *all* the other IPMI functionality like chassis status, power control, and sensor monitoring, etc.

Any gotchas with the cases?  The P4000M chassis was designed for the S2600CP family of motherboards.  For an *Intel spec* system, you'll want the proper IO sheild, Airduct, and passive heat sinks. 

You shouldn't need any additional cables unless you have a SAS RAID card with the HSBP hotswap drive cages.  Then you'll need minisas -> minisas cables (.50 meter length).  If you add a PCIe USB3 card (that requires extra power), you'll need some power extension cables that reach to the card and fits either around the front of the cooling duct, or back behind the midwall to that PCIe card.

Thanks, I'm ordering a dual 750w version.

Can we specify what hotswap config we prefer?  Is there a split option with 4 x 3.5 and 8 x 2.5 hotswap?

I know that 16 x 2.5 is way too many of those. I could do 8 x 3.5 if that is the way they do it.

Thanks for being so good to share your findings with us all.

Thanks, I'm ordering a dual 750w version.

Can we specify what hotswap config we prefer?  Is there a split option with 4 x 3.5 and 8 x 2.5 hotswap?

I know that 16 x 2.5 is way too many of those. I could do 8 x 3.5 if that is the way they do it.

Thanks for being so good to share your findings with us all.

I'm not sure if this ebay seller has any 750watt P4000M chassis with the 8x3.5" HSBP drive cage config, but I haven't examined each and every listing they have.  You may find that they have it with the redundant cooling fans (5x80mm) and 1 of the 750watt PS (and a blanking plate where the 2nd PS can go).  Note that I highly *doubt* that *they'll* customize the case for what you specifically want.  I think that you get what they offer in their listings.

What I've seen that they have are the fixed drive bays, or the 8x2.5", or 16x2.5" (which are actually 2 8x2.5").  Keep in mind that with any of the P4000M chassis, you can pull any of those out and ADD the 8x3.5" HSBP drive cage (as I had done).

My P4000M with the dual 750's came with the 16x2.5" HSBP drive cages (2 8x2.5" really) (they accepted a $100 offer):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201107937542

I pulled those out and installed one 8x3.5" HSBP drive cage (they accepted a $40 offer):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380990951500

I also added this 8x2.5" in 2x5.25" HSBP drive cage; yes this is different from the 8x2.5" that I pulled out (they accepted a $40 offer):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181522558516

...actually both of my P4000M's are configured with the 8x3.5" & the 8x2.5" HSBP drive cages.  I did have to customize one long I2C HSBP to HSBP cable to daisy chain the HSBP's together so that the BMC could monitor them all, but that's not vital.

I think I might have to reapply the thermal paste, or something...

Running AIDA64 "System Stability Test" now and the CPU #1 reaches 76°C with Cooler Master Hyper 212 and Noctua NF-F12.

Feels like at least 10°C too high. What is your ambient room temp en what kind of paste are you using?

I've got no temp sensor in the living room but I would guess it's maybe 21-22°C.

The paste is actually Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and I went with the instructions, to smear it out with the tool that came with it. This was the first time since the 90s I did not use the ordinary "pea method", or line or whatever. So my first guess is that the layer on the IHS is to thick, even if the pressure from the CPU-cooler would push unnecessary amount away from the IHS.

I'm not sure if this ebay seller has any 750watt P4000M chassis with the 8x3.5" HSBP drive cage config, but I haven't examined each and every listing they have.  You may find that they have it with the redundant cooling fans (5x80mm) and 1 of the 750watt PS (and a blanking plate where the 2nd PS can go).  Note that I highly *doubt* that *they'll* customize the case for what you specifically want.  I think that you get what they offer in their listings.

What I've seen that they have are the fixed drive bays, or the 8x2.5", or 16x2.5" (which are actually 2 8x2.5").  Keep in mind that with any of the P4000M chassis, you can pull any of those out and ADD the 8x3.5" HSBP drive cage (as I had done).

I pulled those out and installed one 8x3.5" HSBP drive cage (they accepted a $40 offer):

You refer to HSBP but this ebay link points to HSDK.  What about?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-FUP8X35HSBP-Spare-Hot-Swap-Back-Plane-8x3-5in-for-Server-Chassis-P4000-New-/201078481966?hash=item2ed136242e:g:9kwAAOxyBjBTWA74

I also added this 8x2.5" in 2x5.25" HSBP drive cage; yes this is different from the 8x2.5" that I pulled out (they accepted a $40 offer):

...actually both of my P4000M's are configured with the 8x3.5" & the 8x2.5" HSBP drive cages.  I did have to customize one long I2C HSBP to HSBP cable to daisy chain the HSBP's together so that the BMC could monitor them all, but that's not vital.

Any more information on the custom I2C HSBP cable?

Thanks for the links.

You refer to HSBP but this ebay link points to HSDK.  What about?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-FUP8X35HSBP-Spare-Hot-Swap-Back-Plane-8x3-5in-for-Server-Chassis-P4000-New-/201078481966?hash=item2ed136242e:g:9kwAAOxyBjBTWA74

Any more information on the custom I2C HSBP cable?

Thanks for the links.

What you link to was *only* a replacement HSBP (HotSwap Back Plane) part for the 8x3.5" hotswap drive cage kit that *I* earlier provided the URL for.  Do *not* buy that.

The 'custom' I2C HSBP -> HSBP was simply an extended one to reach from my 8x2.5" (in the 5.25" bay) HSBP to the 8x3.5" HSBP.  On my first system, I physically lengthened the cable by soldering extra length of wiring.  On my 2nd system, I simply took two of the HSBP->HSBP cables (which are only long enough to daisy chain an 8x2.5" to another 8x2.5" HSBP; in other words, they are short) and connected them end to end via double ended pins to achieve the longer cable.

So i have now finished most of the work for my server.

2016-03-2618.24.12.jpg

https://picload.org/image/wwlwggr/2016-03-2618.24.12.jpg

cinebench.jpg

https://picload.org/image/wwlpwwr/cinebench.jpg

I also put my MSI GTX 980 into the rig to test for gaming. Not much difference to my single X5650@4Ghz.

FireStrike:

https://picload.org/image/wwlpwwl/firestrike.jpg

My Hardware:

Nanoxia Deep Silence 6 Rev.B

ASROCK EP2C602-4L/D16

2*E5-2670

64GB ECC @1333Mhz

Enermax Platimax 1500W 80Plus Platinum

lot's of HDD's and SSD

So i have now finished most of the work for my server.

2016-03-2618.24.12.jpg

https://picload.org/image/wwlwggr/2016-03-2618.24.12.jpg

cinebench.jpg

https://picload.org/image/wwlpwwr/cinebench.jpg

I also put my MSI GTX 980 into the rig to test for gaming. Not much difference to my single X5650@4Ghz.

FireStrike:

https://picload.org/image/wwlpwwl/firestrike.jpg

My Hardware:

Nanoxia Deep Silence 6 Rev.B

ASROCK EP2C602-4L/D16

2*E5-2670

64GB ECC @1333Mhz

Enermax Platimax 1500W 80Plus Platinum

lot's of HDD's and SSD

Did the motherboard fit Or did you have to make a custom solution in regards to motherboard tray standoffs ?

I am thinking about getting the deep silence 1 rev b for another Board with similar form factor