$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

Glad you are seeing the same ipmi output as me - I'll quit worrying about that one :)

As for the drive lights - yes i probably did mean the i2c cable - the 3 wire one that connects from the lower right (looking from the back) corner of the backplane to the motherboard (over by the PCIe slot..). It's been connected since day 1 - 7 3.5" drives attached (4 different models) and not a single one shows a light..

I tried updating the FRU/BMC etc again today and no change.

Does anyone else with this combo get the HDD led activity indicators (or not as the case maybe..)?

NB: The HD indicator in the top 'status' panel lights up - just not the ones on the HS drive bays..

What firmware do you have flashed to the RS2WC080?  If you left the MPT2BIOS enabled; do you see the drive ID LED (amber) light up when in the card's BIOS -> {adapter} -> SAS Topology -> Direct Attach Devices -> [select any of the drives & hit ENTER]; the Drive ID LED will start flashing on that slot.  If you do, then this proves that the SGPIO is working.

I have two of these P4000M chassis; each with (1) 8x3.5" & (1) 8x2.5" HSBP drive cages where each HSBP is connected to a RS2WC080 (two cards in each system) that's been cross-flashed  with LSI 9211-8i IT FW, and the HD activity LED on all the drive slots work.  I honestly hadn't run the cards with the stock FW...

Glad you are seeing the same ipmi output as me - I'll quit worrying about that one :)

As for the drive lights - yes i probably did mean the i2c cable - the 3 wire one that connects from the lower right (looking from the back) corner of the backplane to the motherboard (over by the PCIe slot..). It's been connected since day 1 - 7 3.5" drives attached (4 different models) and not a single one shows a light..

Does anyone else with this combo get the HDD led activity indicators (or not as the case maybe..)?

NB: The HD indicator in the top 'status' panel lights up - just not the ones on the HS drive bays..

What firmware do you have flashed to the RS2WC080?  If you left the MPT2BIOS enabled; do you see the drive ID LED (amber) light up when in the card's BIOS -> {adapter} -> SAS Topology -> Direct Attach Devices -> [select any of the drives & hit ENTER]; the Drive ID LED will start flashing on that slot.  If you do, then this proves that the SGPIO is working.

I have two of these P4000M chassis; each with (1) 8x3.5" & (1) 8x2.5" HSBP drive cages where each HSBP is connected to a RS2WC080 (two cards in each system) that's been cross-flashed  with LSI 9211-8i IT FW, and the HD activity LED on all the drive slots work.  I honestly hadn't run the cards with the stock FW...

I cross-flashed with the LSI 9211-9i IT FW (P20)  without the BIOS.. (followed your excellent instructions with no problems).

I'll reflash it with the BIOS and try what you suggested..

EDIT - Reflashed with BIOS - Amber lights appear as you suggested..

What's more - NOW I have green flickering lights in Unraid too...  I can live with the slightly slower boot time if that's all it takes :)

I cross-flashed with the LSI 9211-9i IT FW (P20)  without the BIOS.. (followed your excellent instructions with no problems).

I'll reflash it with the BIOS and try what you suggested..

EDIT - Reflashed with BIOS - Amber lights appear as you suggested..

What's more - NOW I have green flickering lights in Unraid too...  I can live with the slightly slower boot time if that's all it takes :)

Kick ass!

Got last night a natex combo, but after plugging it (just the EVGA 220-G2-0850-XR without any add-ons) I cannot start the system.

There seems to be a power issue, the LEDs get lit at the same time and power off cyclically. Any pointers?, the PSU, which is new, was working fine with another MB.

Got last night a natex combo, but after plugging it (just the EVGA 220-G2-0850-XR without any add-ons) I cannot start the system.

There seems to be a power issue, the LEDs get lit at the same time and power off cyclically. Any pointers?, the PSU, which is new, was working fine with another MB.

It is very picky on the voltage of the 2 12v mobo connectors.  As a last resort i would remove the 2nd cpu and 12v connector and see if she fires up.

Double check everything you connected on your system.  I just booted mine up with an EVGA G2 750w over lunch today and it worked well. 

Double check everything you connected on your system.  I just booted mine up with an EVGA G2 750w over lunch today and it worked well.

FWIW, I'm using the 850W P2 without issue.

What are people actually using for CPU coolers on the Natex boards?  It appears some are using the Noctua I4 but theres also reference to them not fitting without modifying the fan or raising it up on the heatsink.

I just installed the I4 and the clip on fans would basically touch the RAM if I installed them flush to the top of the heatsink. I moved them up a few millimetres and I hope that will work -- I don't see why it wouldn't but I don't know much about cooling so.

What are people actually using for CPU coolers on the Natex boards?  It appears some are using the Noctua I4 but theres also reference to them not fitting without modifying the fan or raising it up on the heatsink.

I just installed the I4 and the clip on fans would basically touch the RAM if I installed them flush to the top of the heatsink. I moved them up a few millimetres and I hope that will work -- I don't see why it wouldn't but I don't know much about cooling so.

There should be no problem moving the fan up a little bit  :)

Are you able to share a few pictures of your setup with the I4s on your setup?

I have never seen a BIOS that doesn't give CPU temp but I can't find it on the Aptio Bios that came with the Natex combo. I've been looking for it a while and I even found screen shots that show a Monitor top menu that I don't have -- does anyone who bought the Natex combo know how to get CPU temps from the BIOS?

Also is anyone running the combo as it came with just the heat sinks?

Are you talking about those short little 1u passive heat sinks?  I wouldn't consider using them unless you had a proper corresponding chassis, cooling fans, and airduct that would tightly mate with those heat sinks to force *all* the air through them.

The BMC webconsole's sensors page will provide temps (not CPU temps directly), however you can derive the CPU temp from the P# Therm Margin values.  Note, if they drop below ~20%, that indicates that your CPU cores are very close to 80c.  The stock Intel cooling setup for that board will ramp up the cooling fans so that a system will stay above the 20% P# Therm Margin.

I'm looking at my temps to make sure everything's in line, and I'm seeing P# Therm Margin being reported in negative Celsius, while P# Therm Ctrl % is 0%. Do you know what 0 degrees C is supposed to be in real terms for thermal margin? When I run stress tests, I can hear the fans ramp up, and System Board 1 Agg Therm Mgn 2 goes from negative to around +6 C and trips the alarm. All other temp margins remain normal/negative. I'm in a P4000M case with dual 750W power supplies. Is this expected behavior?

Also, when I ran the BIOS/ME/FRUSDR updates, I forgot to connect to I2C cable from the backplane to the motherboard so it wasn't detected. Do you recommend connecting the cable and rerunning the FRUSDR updater? The drive activity lights appear to be working even with it disconnected.

Are you able to share a few pictures of your setup with the I4s on your setup?

Sure

width=200http://i.imgur.com/hDGERNJ.jpg[/img]

width=200http://i.imgur.com/KW6uduw.jpg[/img]

width=200http://i.imgur.com/oUkdhK2.jpg[/img]

Sorry about the pictures being so huge.

System is up and formatting. I ran the memtest -- using the small heat sinks that the Notex board shipped with the temp was 100c instantly. With the I4s I ran it for 5-10 minutes and topped out at 40c. Was pretty stead between 38c and 40c

Does anyone have a link to a chart of what the lights on the backpannel mean?

I have a flashing amber light.

System is up and formatting. I ran the memtest -- using the small heat sinks that the Notex board shipped with the temp was 100c instantly. With the I4s I ran it for 5-10 minutes and topped out at 40c. Was pretty stead between 38c and 40c

This PDF should have a light diagnostics guide starting on page 120.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/s2600cp/sb/g26942005_s2600cp_p4000cp_tps_rev19.pdf

This PDF should have a light diagnostics guide starting on page 120.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/s2600cp/sb/g26942005_s2600cp_p4000cp_tps_rev19.pdf

Thank you.

Found the pages not sure I can understand them -- I have a flashing larger amber light off to the side which appears to correspond to the System Status LED. From the chart it gives six options but not sure how I figure out which of the six as they are all quite different.

Then there are the 2 rows of 4. The 4 closest to me when looking from the back are green and the four on the inside row closer to the CPU are amber.

It is very picky on the voltage of the 2 12v mobo connectors.  As a last resort i would remove the 2nd cpu and 12v connector and see if she fires up.

Removed all the memory modules and the flashing light issue disappeared, got a nice steady "online" LED, but after trying to power on the system all the lights powered off. The MB seems pretty much dead now.

Got a ML150 G6 case which is deep enough to accommodate MB and a hot plug cage box at the front, but it cannot accommodate 3 boxes in total (not standard/compatible screw holes).

Any "deals" on MB and case combos?, I'm looking to plug 2 x E5-2670, 128GB RAM, 2 x H310 HBAs and fit 3 x 5-in-3 boxes  (cse-m35tqb). All this assuming the memory modules and CPUs are not dead also.

Getting tired of trying to make everything fit, I'm in plan D right now, more than expected money spent and without a working system.

Skip the cooling hassle, get a P4000 Intel chassis

I started with a 120mm fan just laid carelessly over top of both passive coolers from natex. If you have horizontal config like a rackmount it will just lay in place. A vertical tower won't work this way.  But it can work horizontal.

But @jwegman introduced me to the P4000 Intel chassis specially made for this Intel 2600cp2 motherboard. For $150 NIB you get an industrial design that can work as a tower or a 4u rackmount and uses the almost free passive coolers effectively.  Once the bios and BMC is updated, it takes these monsters and makes them almost silent, (when compared to servers)  Comes with dual platinum redundant 750w PSU and 10 x 3.5 hotswap drives. You can't mess around with cooling, PSU and case and get anything of this class with so little effort.

Highly recommended.  I have 3.

Any info about the specific model?. Can that accomodate 3 5-in-3 boxes at the front?.

FWIW, I'm using the 850W P2 without issue.

This is what I was getting :

https://iriarte.it/nube/index.php/s/Ib8vkXi9bNLEoD0

Got the exact same figure for both connectors using a tester. Not sure if they're good enough.

20160416_190158.jpg.93a154949608e3906783b6c4bb8297ce.jpg

20160416_190232.jpg.aa4e34270ed8f055e060e8cc0cf4543d.jpg

The one I got from Kelley o malley on eBay has 8 x 3.5 hotswap built in. I have been meaning to ask @jwegman about putting another 5 in the spot up top. He will know more.

Edit sorry about the drive count it's 8 not 10. Fixed above.

This p4000 chassis is not designed for ultimate storage density like a Norco 4224 24 bay.  It's more focused on general compute processing.

The one I got from Kelley o malley on eBay has 8 x 3.5 hotswap built in. I have been meaning to ask @jwegman about putting another 5 in the spot up top. He will know more.

Edit sorry about the drive count it's 8 not 10. Fixed above.

This p4000 chassis is not designed for ultimate storage density like a Norco 4224 24 bay.  It's more focused on general compute processing.

Which heatsinks are you using with that case?

A question for other supermicro board owners.

I got the x9srl-f which is a single cpu board. The board only has a couple of usb ports in the back that are super close to each other as well as the lan port. It is impossible to plug in 2 usb plugs unless both are really skinny (one is the usb from the ups and the other is the receiver for the keyboard and mouse, I plugged the unraid flash into the internal usb port)

So I got a pcie usb 3 card that was recommended by Oculus (just preparing, I don't have plans to get the rift just yet): https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FPIMICA/

The problem is, with the card installed, I cannot shut down the server. After 3 seconds of power down, it starts right back up. You can imagine the issue with the ups initiated powerdown. It's not cool when it boots right back up only to get a parity check and potential data loss later on.

I turned off the wake options in bios and also turned off the oprom option for that pcie slot but nothing worked.

Did anyone else have a similar issue by any chance or have any ideas?

Thanks