$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

re: P4000 and S2600

Has anyone noticed that their 2670 based system in an Intel P4000 with Natex S2600 mb doesn't like the power from a UPS? 

Mine goes absolutely crazy when the power goes off.  It continues to run, but the fans go nuts, and the power draw from the UPS jumps to max, rather than continuing to idle at 120w.  This is OK, for a power blip, but for a real power outage the battery run time on the UPS is severely affected.  Anybody have suggestions for a fix?

My P4000 has dual platinum 750W power supplies, both plugged into the UPS.  UPS is APC1400.

Has anyone noticed that their 2670 based system in an Intel P4000 with Natex S2600 mb doesn't like the power from a UPS? 

Mine goes absolutely crazy when the power goes off.  It continues to run, but the fans go nuts, and the power draw from the UPS jumps to max, rather than continuing to idle at 120w.  This is OK, for a power blip, but for a real power outage the battery run time on the UPS is severely affected.  Anybody have suggestions for a fix?

My P4000 has dual platinum 750W power supplies, both plugged into the UPS.  UPS is APC1400.

There are a number of reports where systems did not like the UPS power, search for them.  I can't remember whether it's the true sine wave ones that cause problems with certain UPS units, or the non-sine wave types that are the problem.

Hi All!

I am about to pull the trigger on the Intel S2600CP Motherboard w/Dual E5-2670 SR0KX combo kit on Natex, but maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but I read in the specs that there is 1 PCIe x16 slot (for a video card), but i am not seeing it in the pix.  My plan is to, down the road, install a GTX1070 or 1080 to have a single Gaming VM on my setup.  Can this MB do this?

Thanks!

Hi All!

I am about to pull the trigger on the Intel S2600CP Motherboard w/Dual E5-2670 SR0KX combo kit on Natex, but maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but I read in the specs that there is 1 PCIe x16 slot (for a video card), but i am not seeing it in the pix.  My plan is to, down the road, install a GTX1070 or 1080 to have a single Gaming VM on my setup.  Can this MB do this?

Thanks!

I'm in exactly the same boat, very interested in the answer. Also, can someone explain how the 2 different ram packages would matter for an unraid box? I am never against spending a little more $$, but I'd like to know what my $50 is going to get me.

128Gb (16 x8GB 2RX4 PC3-12800R

128GB (16x8GB) 2Rx4 PC3L-10600R

The MB I got from Natex has a x16 slot but there is also memory that could get in the way if your graphics card is too long.  Note "too long" maybe standard length.  My servers are all headless.  I don't pass through graphics cards and it has been a long time since I bought one.  I just checked and my EVGA 8600GTS will not fit the x16 slot if you can compare the length of that to the card you want to use.  (By tape measure that card is 7 1/2 inches long).  The end of the card hits the memory lock dead center on the third element for the back CPU.

Would this Motherboard work with the E5-2670 CPU's?  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157606 

I was reading that there are different versions of the CPU and not all boards work, but the specs says it supports CPU Type Dual Intel Xeon processor E5–2600 & v3 series.  I just wanted to make sure this board would work.

thanks!

As saarg said, you need 2011, not 2011-3.

If you want to use 2011-3, you have to get the E5-2670 v3 which is more expensive, and a 12 core.

The E5-2670 v1 and v2 are the ones you should look at, and you need 2011 for that.

Well my decision just got A LOT easier.  So much easier that i am now joining the ranks!!!  I forgot I had a NewEgg company account, logged in and found the ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16 motherboard that after reading this thread a lot have recommended, saw it originally for $429 but once i logged in with our business account, I got it for $319!!!  Was a no brainer

Just purchased:

CPU: 2-Xeon E5-2670's for $62/each https://www.natex.us/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Intel-E5-2670-SR0KX

MB: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16 for $319 using our company's Newegg account

RAM: 8-Samsung 8Gb. 2Rx4 PC3L-10600R M393B1K70CHD-YH9 (Shielded) ECC Memory for $18 each / $144 total https://www.natex.us/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=M393B1K70CHD-YH9

cant wait to get everything and get to building.  I need to buy a couple more items like a power supply, heatsinks and 2-500GB SSD for my cache pool, and I need to choose a case.  (considering recommendations :)  )  I should be ok with the onboard SATA port right?  I shouldnt need a SAS/SATA expander card yet i dont think.  I have 4-4TB drives i am using, 1 of them is for Parity.

Very excited.

Thanks guys for all the help and info!

There are a number of reports where systems did not like the UPS power, search for them.  I can't remember whether it's the true sine wave ones that cause problems with certain UPS units, or the non-sine wave types that are the problem.

It's usually the simulated sine wave UPS's that cause issues. I have a Natex S2600 + Intel P4000 (with the same PSUs) and it runs fine on a CyberPower true sine wave UPS

a very very  late update on my build with these cpu's.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/soqm6yz15bmvwal/AABstscKelHqCqRhlRDL3iIja?dl=0

The dual beast is as follows: 

• RAM: 120Gb (15 x8GB 2RX4 PC3-12800R
  • CPUs: 2 x Xeon E5-2670's
  • Coolers: Noctua NH-U9DX i4  x 2
  • MB: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16
  • Case:  logic-case SC-4316 (Similar to Norco RPC-4216)

- making an extra 120mm hole above the pci-e slots for more cooling in this case as the HBA and network card get warm

• Case option2! - Pahnteks Enthoo Pro

- Nice case!  had the dual beast in there as a workstation at first untill i could afford the rack.

• PSU: EVGA 850 p2 gold
  • LAN: SFP+ 10gb  intel dx520-2
  • GPU: nvidia gtx730
  • HBA: Del perc 310 - flashed to 9211 IT-8i v19
  • Cache: TOSHIBA_Q300  480gb
  • Parity: HGST 4tb NAS 
  • Storage: WD red 3tb x4  / Samsung 2tb.
  • Flash: Sandisk Cruser 16gb
  • Case Fans: 2x Noctua NF-S12A / NF-F12 PPC 2000 PWM / 2x Noctua NF-A8 PWM

Temps range:  HDD's  23-28'oC , avg 28 -  Parity is a little warm on the top row , may have to move than down to 2nd row of hotswaps  as 34 'oC and max of 40 when doing the check for 12hours

CPU's  arent showing up still but when i reboot to check  they usually around 48-50 just idling ,  i think i have them set at lvl6 or auto  in the bios or the case fans are .  I can't remb tbh

Power consumption avg idle with 2-5 drives spun down :115-125w .  At max i saw the meter read 278w,  need to test it more with difference case loads.

the enthoo case is nice for an option with this board it just fits snug but looks good there. and soo much air flow made it really easy to knock the fans down.

but and its a big but  i screwed up, the fan controller that comes with the case it killed off not one but 2 of my ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16  fan headers.  only because i didnt get it to work the first time and tried a 2nd. When  i came to try a direct fan on the board and it wasnt working either.  so i really should have quit while i was ahead.

The server has been playing very well, i'm happy with its performance and stability. I've really pushed the most i can with what software i got and use.

Did some encoding and go the little beast upto 3ghz clock speeds but only using 70% of potential. 

day to day i'm using the unraid server for media storage and playback and rarely see it go past 5%  thats with a couple small htpc VM's running. 

I want to do more but i dont have the time to do much these days are busy for my job. 

Q. would zoneminder with say 6 cameras for home use take much outta this rig?

However  i also  have a 2nd server the skylake one.  and thats current running the beta 6.23  with an i3-6100t ,x11ssh-l4nf , 3x 4tb wd red, 2x 4tbhgst, evo ssd, node804case etc - off topic!!

I'm so torn up between the two servers  ive come to the conclusion of selling my dual xeon board and replacing it with a x9srl.

i think the 1x 2670  will be more than enough with my workload and it has more pcie's / better spacing for beefy GPU!

I value your community and would like any input  and i'll answer questions where i can :)

""waiting with bated breath for 6.2!"""

A dual 2670 system will pull about 400W under load. Add in 5W each for the hard drives (worst case), and you're looking at 510W.

Cheapest 550W gold PSU is this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182356&cm_re=gold_psu-_-17-182-356-_-Product

A slightly more expensive, but very well rated one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438059&cm_re=gold_psu-_-17-438-059-_-Product

Thank you Daedalus... So these PSU are properly compatible. I read somewhere about single rails, etc. And I want to make sure this is proper for the server cpu and motherboard.

Thanks again.

The single rail isn't about the cpu and motherboard, it's about the ability to properly supply many hard drives when 99% of computers only have one or maybe 2.

Thank you Daedalus... So these PSU are properly compatible. I read somewhere about single rails, etc. And I want to make sure this is proper for the server cpu and motherboard.

Thanks again.

The single rail isn't about the cpu and motherboard, it's about the ability to properly supply many hard drives when 99% of computers only have one or maybe 2.

Thanks jonathan, so the PSUs above can properly provide for my 12 drives adequately?

Thanks again.

Thanks jonathan, so the PSUs above can properly provide for my 12 drives adequately?

You need to read the specs, the slightly more expensive one, stated it has 9 sata power connectors, with means you might need splitters to reach 12

Can someone please recommend a good Power Supply for this... I do not quite understand the single rail stuff. I have dual CPUs, 64GB RAM, and 12 hard drives in my system.

Thank you.

Hernando

If your power supply doesn't have 2 8 pin CPU connectors you may need something like this https://www.amazon.com/Detachable-EPS-12V-Converter-Adapter-Sleeves/dp/B00Z04IY7M.  That's assuming you have a dual CPU MB like your post lead me to believe.  The more expensive power supply link might just have 2 based on this spec: "EPS (CPU) 2x 8-Pin (4+4)" but I don't know for sure.
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

I've been reading this forum for about a month. Looking to build a dual cpu server for use of multiple VMs for budget around $1k. I want to make the server as silent as possible. I'd appreciate your thoughts, feedback, comments, advice, before I bite the bullet. Thanks in advance!

CPU: $130 - (2x) INTEL XEON E5-2670 8 CORE 2.60GHz 20M 8GT/s 115W PROCESSOR CPU (SR0KX)

http://www.natex.us/product-p/intel-e5-2670-sr0kx.htm

MB: $394 - SUPERMICRO MBD-X9DRL-IF-B

http://www.provantage.com/supermicro-mbd-x9dri-f~7SUPM3Q7.htm

COOLER: $120 - (2x) Noctua NH-U9DXi4 90mm SSO2 CPU Cooler

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Cooler-LGA2011-Platforms-NH-U9DXi4/dp/B00E1JGFA0/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1467235227&sr=1-1&keywords=NH-U9DXi4

RAM: $125 - (8x8GB) PC3L-10600R DDR3 1333MHz ECC Reg Server Memory RAM Upgrade Kit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191764689184

PSU: $125 - Seasonic-X-850-SS-850KM3

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ETEFTK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1NAXRGTBQ0GCQ&coliid=I32T5UFSGTKBMH

CASE: $118 - Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Chassis PH-ES614P_WT White

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854005

FANS: $34 - (2x) Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilent?Pro PL-2 120mm x 25mm Ultra Quiet Fan

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JVYK6U/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1NAXRGTBQ0GCQ&coliid=I19B2GXX8271KQ

Total $1046

Thanks,

Andy

Finally jumped on this train just so I could throw more cores at my vm,s

MB Asus Z9PA-D8

CPU (2x) Intel Xeon E5-2670 SR0KX CPU 2.6GHz Eight Core Processor

Ram 64GB (8x8GB) PC3L-10600R DDR3 Dell PowerEdge R410 Server Memory RAM Upgrade

What coolers would people recommend for this MB.

Kevin.

i went with Noctua NH-U12DX i4 and im not regretting it one bit as my server is in my living room and i appreciate it being low noise, but from what i read coolermaster hyper 212 EVO's would be the cheaper choice or Noctua NH-U9DXi4 if you lack clearance in hight

unraid.JPG.c6e719f373357429aa17df6853a83d84.JPG