$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

I've been following this thread with interest and I think I'm going to dive in as the performance per ££ is unbeatable, and it'd be a nice little project ;-)

So far, I have located the following components:

Will all these parts work ok?  I'm not 100% sure what type of memory I should be looking for - ECC/buffered/registered?

I'm curious if a standard Noctua cooler will work, or why people have used the NH-U12DX i4?

Thanks in advance for any help

I've been following this thread with interest and I think I'm going to dive in as the performance per ££ is unbeatable, and it'd be a nice little project ;-)

Will all these parts work ok?  I'm not 100% sure what type of memory I should be looking for - ECC/buffered/registered?

I'm curious if a standard Noctua cooler will work, or why people have used the NH-U12DX i4?

This looks good, specs wise, but you cant be entirely sure as some motherboards can be picky with RAM etc, but the specs is right, you want 10600R (registered) 12800R is also an option although it is usually way more expensive

You cant just use whichever cooler on these server boards, generally they are Narrow ILM and/or Square ILM coolers. You can read more about it here http://www.servethehome.com/narrow-ilm-square-ilm-lga2011-heatsink-differences

This looks good, specs wise, but you cant be entirely sure as some motherboards can be picky with RAM etc, but the specs is right, you want 10600R (registered) 12800R is also an option although it is usually way more expensive

You cant just use whichever cooler on these server boards, generally they are Narrow ILM and/or Square ILM coolers. You can read more about it here http://www.servethehome.com/narrow-ilm-square-ilm-lga2011-heatsink-differences

Thanks - that makes sense.

Finally jumped on this train just so I could throw more cores at my vm,s

MB Asus Z9PA-D8

CPU (2x) Intel Xeon E5-2670 SR0KX CPU 2.6GHz Eight Core Processor

Ram 64GB (8x8GB) PC3L-10600R DDR3 Dell PowerEdge R410 Server Memory RAM Upgrade

What coolers would people recommend for this MB.

Kevin.

i went with Noctua NH-U12DX i4 and im not regretting it one bit as my server is in my living room and i appreciate it being low noise, but from what i read coolermaster hyper 212 EVO's would be the cheaper choice or Noctua NH-U9DXi4 if you lack clearance in hight

I had been out of the pc building bidness for a long time so when the xeon pop up and the getting was good i got in. I am from this point  forward a noctua fan, I've cooler master is also good but i have been really impressed with the quality and the quietness.

I just finished my second build based on these processors.  I will mainly use it as another ESXi host.

Case: Supermicro SC833T-R760B

Power: Supermicro 760W Triple-Redundant Power Supply

Motherboard:  Supermicro X9DR3-F-B

Processors: 2 x E-Intel Xeon E5-2670

Cooling: 2 x Noctua NH-D9DX i4 3U

Memory: 16 x Hynix HMT31GR7BFR4A-H9 (128GB total)

0trRdkel.jpg

For grins, I installed Windows 10 on it before installing ESXi.

DyM1h2c.png

I just finished my second build based on these processors.  I will mainly use it as another ESXi host.

0trRdkel.jpg

DyM1h2c.png

just curious is this for play or a production rig?

0trRdkel.jpg

DyM1h2c.png

Both.  I use it for a lab environment at home, but I also run several production VMs.

0trRdkel.jpg

DyM1h2c.png

Both.  I use it for a lab environment at home, but I also run several production VMs.

very cool

StevenD what was the cost for your recent build? Also, how's noise?

I bought the cases years ago.  So, for just the procs, memory, motherboard and cooling, it was about $875.  I have two of these boxes that are almost identical. The other one holds my unRAID server running as an ESXi guest.

StevenD what was the cost for your recent build? Also, how's noise?

google the case at found it for $900+ USD its not a cheap rig

I paid $120 each for three identical servers several years ago from a local liquidator.  They were fully working with X7 series motherboards, dual Zeons and 8GB of RAM if I remember correctly.

Wholly CRAP!

I've been away a couple months, (Business is going crazy good), and I come back to see this thread is still in the top spot!

Congrats Shama for starting a record thread!

Gotta say the Juggernaut is running like a champ.  Still haven't built the second server yet, as I've yet to fully utilize the beast I currently have running.  It's funny now trying to utilize 32 threads and 128GB of memory!

-D

Before finishing the entire 64 pages of this thread, I purchased two of these gems from this vendor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-XEON-E5-2670-2-6-GHz-20-MB-8-Core-CPU-Processor-SR0H8-115W-100-Tested-/131780913476?hash=item1eaec12944:g:cecAAOSwYmZXD03d

I am wondering if there is any other canucks out there that was able to find a mobo and other parts at a decent price.

I could be wrong (and hope I am for your sake) but I believe VT-d on the SR0H8 is broken.  You want SR0KX.

Before finishing the entire 64 pages of this thread, I purchased two of these gems from this vendor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-XEON-E5-2670-2-6-GHz-20-MB-8-Core-CPU-Processor-SR0H8-115W-100-Tested-/131780913476?hash=item1eaec12944:g:cecAAOSwYmZXD03d

I am wondering if there is any other canucks out there that was able to find a mobo and other parts at a decent price.

I could be wrong (and hope I am for your sake) but I believe VT-d on the SR0H8 is broken.  You want SR0KX.

DOH

This is embarrassing.

I take it this is what i should of ordered

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-pcs-SR0KX-Intel-Xeon-E5-2670-2-6GHz-8-Core-Socket-2011-CPU-/331818841195?hash=item4d41f1b46b:g:pNMAAOSwv-NWZxoZ

Sent from the Bphone using the magic cloud through tapatalk

DOH

This is embarrassing.

I take it this is what i should of ordered

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-pcs-SR0KX-Intel-Xeon-E5-2670-2-6GHz-8-Core-Socket-2011-CPU-/331818841195?hash=item4d41f1b46b:g:pNMAAOSwv-NWZxoZ

Sent from the Bphone using the magic cloud through tapatalk

Correct.

OK, well I've jumped on board and ordered one of the Natex E5-2670 server packages (Intel S2600CP2J Motherboard w/ Dual E5-2670 SR0KX , 128Gb. PC3L 10600R). Too good to pass up.

Trying to figure out the best cooling solution. I know a bunch of the S2600CP folks have gone with the Noctua NH-U12DXi4. I am wondering if anyone has tried the Noctua NH-D15. Amazon.ca has them for close to the same price but the D15 is a significant upgrade in cooling capacity. I am concerned about arranging two of the D15's so that they clear all obstacles and each other.

I will be attempting to fit all of this into my existing case which is the Thermaltake core V71. It can handle EATX motherboards and should have enough clearance for the height of the coolers.

Its been three or four years since I last upgraded so I am looking forward to a huge leap in performance.

Ok I'm in!  Just purchased my E5-2670 CPUs on ebay for £112/$150 for the pair - I've got these first as the whole project is pointless unless I have the CPUs in my possession.

Going to buy the other parts soon - here's my current thinking:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/JWqzYr

If anyone in the UK is looking for some E5-2670 CPUs I got two very well packaged specimins from this ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Intel-Xeon-E5-2670-SR0KX-CPU-2-6GHz-Eight-Core-Processor-20MB-Smart-Cache-/401130447014?hash=item5d653ce0a6:g:yjIAAOSwtJZXT~WZ. 

The CPUs were delivered by a courier and came in a sturdy box with a purple foamed cutout inside with grooves for individual CPUs - enough for around 25.  Each CPU was in a separate anti-static bag.  Delivery was within 3 days.

The listing was £120 for the pair when I purchased mine - I made an offer and the seller countered with £112 which I accepted.  The price has gone up just this week to £134.99, so get involved fast if you want some great value CPUs. 

I'm tempted to buy 1 or 2 spares now just in case.  If I never use them, I'm sure I'll get more than the £60-70 quid back when supply starts to dry up.

OK, well I've jumped on board and ordered one of the Natex E5-2670 server packages (Intel S2600CP2J Motherboard w/ Dual E5-2670 SR0KX , 128Gb. PC3L 10600R). Too good to pass up.

Trying to figure out the best cooling solution. I know a bunch of the S2600CP folks have gone with the Noctua NH-U12DXi4. I am wondering if anyone has tried the Noctua NH-D15. Amazon.ca has them for close to the same price but the D15 is a significant upgrade in cooling capacity. I am concerned about arranging two of the D15's so that they clear all obstacles and each other.

I will be attempting to fit all of this into my existing case which is the Thermaltake core V71. It can handle EATX motherboards and should have enough clearance for the height of the coolers.

Its been three or four years since I last upgraded so I am looking forward to a huge leap in performance.

I am not 100% sure but I believe someone else had this case and said they had to drill holes because the intel board holes did nit match up.

Keep in mind that a D15 weighs quite a bit, and you are planning to double that weight. That and i very much doubt its going to fit. Personally i am using two Scythe Katana 4's, half the price of the i4 and keeps things cool enough.

Lurking for several months.  I purchased 2 of these CPUs and the Supermicro X9DRL-3F mb.  The Supermicro site only lists a few tested memory modules for this board, which I am having difficulty finding.  I was wondering if these of these memory kits would work and if so which would you recommend?  Looking for best performance value.  In other words, a little more $$ for significant performance is ok but not interested in the reverse.

http://www.natex.us/Nanya-8GB-Memory-Modules-128GB-Kit-p/128gb-nt8c72c4ng0nl-cg.htm

http://www.natex.us/Hynix-8GB-Memory-Module-128GB-Kit-p/128gb-hmt31gr7cfr4a-h9.htm

http://www.natex.us/Hynix-8GB-Memory-Module-128GB-Kit-p/128gb-hmt31gr7cfr4c-pb.htm

http://www.natex.us/Samsung-8Gb-M393B1K70DHO-CKO-128Gb-Kit-p/128gb-m393b1k70dho-cko.htm

I am also open to other recommendations.  I am looking @ 128 Gb as I would rather build it out now than upgrade down the road.  I have never wished for less power after I have built a system.  Thanks.