$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

Does anyone know for sure if the Intel 550W PSU is actually 3 separate +12V rails?  The P4000 Technical Product Specification seems to indicate that 12V1 & 12V2 are exclusively for the CPUs & memory.  If all other 12V power must from 12V3 (18A max), that would really limit the number of hard drives I could use.

They havent had tri or bi rail power supplies in 10 years.  Even then most were single with 1-2 "limiters" after the regulators.  Their is an amp limit per wire so you cant have 18 amp going through 1 strain of 18 gauge.  12v1/2/3 are all soldered to the same trace on the power supply.

The only difference is that if a power supply is labeled multi rail, there is a 20amp over load protection per rail.  A single rail unit just has 1 65 amp overload if its a 550 watt for example.

Remember even if you have a 850 watt power supply, and they massage the limits, its still going to be 25amp per grouping.

OK, I see now in the OCP section of the TPS that 12V3 seems to have a hard limit of 20A.  Since it supplies the main power connector (P1) and the peripheral connectors (P4-P10), I can't go with 11 HDDs as I hoped.  I guess I can mix in more 2.5" drives that are powered exclusively by 5V (I have 1 already).

240 watts isnt enought to run 11 hds?  I guess if the bios doesnt have staggered start for the hard drives that might be a problem if they all sucks 1.25 amp at turnon.

240 watts isnt enought to run 11 hds?  I guess if the bios doesnt have staggered start for the hard drives that might be a problem if they all sucks 1.25 amp at turnon.

Well, it's not just the hard drives.  It's also whatever the motherboard uses 12V for other than the CPUs.  At the very least, it's also powering the fans, 2 of which are rated at 1.65A.  My system will use 1 of those fans with an airduct to handle the CPUs, so that fan might need to ramp up to full speed.

I want to make sure that spinning up all the drives at once is very unlikely to trigger the OCP.  I've been trying to compile spin up power requirements for my drives, but different sources provide different data.  That's not really an issue for this thread, I think.

I guess if the bios doesnt have staggered start for the hard drives that might be a problem if they all sucks 1.25 amp at turnon.

If this is in the context of unraid, then staggered start isn't an option. Suppose you are reading off one of the disks (all others spun down) and unraid can't read a sector. The immediate reaction is to spin up the whole array, compute from parity what was supposed to be in that sector, and write the contents back to the offending drive. If the write fails, unraid red balls the disk.

Worst possible time to run into a current limit on your PSU.

Unraid needs a generous power margin, I wouldn't play it close on PSU capacity numbers, it's a recipe for random errors and possible hd failures.

Im not sure what a generous margin is.  My HGST should suck 650ma from the 12v max, so i just through out double that number.  11 drives, at 1.25 amp (again double what the drive says) is still only 165 watts.  Since they are dc brushless there should be no turn on surge, so with all drives on they should be sucking 650ma each from the 12v line and 500ma each from the 5v line, under MAX conditions.  You are talking about 80 watts for 11 drives on the 12v line.

Going from 550watt to 700 watt is only going to give you another 10 amp on the 12v line.

1.65amp fans,  20watt fans, does the case hover in place :)

So. I've moved and now my board is only recognizing 48gb of my 64gb of memory. I did put the board into a new case today and had not fired up the server before doing so. Stupid me.

Swapped DIMMs and the same DIMMs don't recognize the memory.

Going to swap CPU sockets to see if it is the onboard memory controller or the board itself.

Any way this can be a weird grounding issue? Something else simple that doesn't mean my board may be on it's last legs?

This blows.

I'm still buying my components and I have a question about motherboards.  A good deal has popped up for the Supermicro X9DA7 which doesn't have onboard graphics - is this a problem or can I fully control Unraid (i) within the web interface in a VM or by (ii) not autostarting VMs?

Thanks

I'm still buying my components and I have a question about motherboards.  A good deal has popped up for the Supermicro X9DA7 which doesn't have onboard graphics - is this a problem or can I fully control Unraid (i) within the web interface in a VM or by (ii) not autostarting VMs?

Thanks

Found the answer

In response to my own questions: it looks like AMD does not have onboard graphics so I'm assuming I would need 2 GPUs for an AMD build, one for the unraid system ( maybe something cheap) and one for the VM?

With an AMD card, no, you can "steal" it from the UnRAID console however you will have no console output (which many including myself do not have).

You can also do it with Nvidia cards, but there is some trickery to get it to work.  ;)

While AMD will work no doubt, I and many others will recommend Intel as it is the primary platform UnRAID is tested on, and even though you get less cores you get better per core ratings.

I think if you run a lot of VM's the extra cores can help with isolation, however the comparison of 4 AMD cores to 2 Intel cores is likely not much difference (I say this without looking at specific ratings, but I know a 4 core i5 goes against an 8 core FX).

Hello, I will be building/upgrading my server which was first built in 2006!! Well beyond major upgrade time I was going to use my Gaming rigs Asus X99 pro i7-5820K guts but found this post Monday, and started researching /designing a new system. Below are the hardware spec. I have only to purchase the mainboard Case and video Cards. Any suggestions/comments/concerns with the hardware I've chosen before I loose my return windows.

I will be running at least 4 VM's two of which will be Win 10 PC "replacements" ala Linus Techtips. One will be a Trans-coding VM for Emby Server and Air Video HD. The last one will be a downloading VM for Sabnzbd, Sickbeard, Couch potato, transmission.

Server Build Parts/Notes Below

CPU- 2x Intel Xeon E5-2670 SR0KX Stepping - Natex - $65.00 ea. - Purchased

** Main Board - Will need to have 16 slots, 128GB mem. Need to ensure video card clearance for dual VM's / HBA cards 2x**

SuperMicro  X9DR3-F - $411 - Clearance issues PCIe 1 slot

SuperMicro X9DRi-F - $407.99 - Clearance issues slot 1 PCIe 1 slot

ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16 - $375.63 - Top PCIe 4x inline with ram slot - least expensive but don't like the expansion card layout. PCI slot? Really?

Case -  Norco 4220 - New Version - $365.89 - Verify backplane is forward or reverse breakout for correct cables

My current case is a Norco 4220 v1 - Below cables are for that case but now want newer case and keep the old one as backup server.

Case - Rosewill 15 Bay 4U - $104.99 - Right amount of drive bays, see below - Drives are internal not hot swap. Difficult drive changes / upgrades

16x - Memory - Hynix DDR3  ECC 128GB - HMT31GR7AFR4C-H9 - Purchased as I'm leaning towards the Supermicro boards.

2x - CPU Coolers/Fans -  Noctua NH-U12DX i4 - Comes with both narrow ILM and square  - purchased

2x - Plus 2x Noctua 120mm fans -  I already have.

3x - HBA - SuperMicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 SAS/SATA 600MB/s - Purchased (third is spare.)

3x - Forward Break Out Cables for backplane - May need to get reverse. Case specific. - Purchsed

2x - Evga 980ti - 1070 class video cards for VM's.

1x - PSU Corsair H1000i - Already own.

Drive Set up for new system

- 12x WD Red 3TB - Storage Array / NAS / for XFS - Purchsed - Price to size sweet spot - 36TB

- 2x Samsung Evo 850 250GB - Cache Pool for BTRFS / VM Host - Purchased - Already have 1 added another

- 1x WD Red 4TB - Parity Drive - Purchased - Upgrade path capable without swapping to larger parity.

Thoughts?  :-\ Thanks for your help suggestions. I'll most likely make my final purchases tomorrow or Monday given any comments made here.

Hello, I will be building/upgrading my server which was first built in 2006!! Well beyond major upgrade time I was going to use my Gaming rigs Asus X99 pro i7-5820K guts but found this post Monday, and started researching /designing a new system. Below are the hardware spec. I have only to purchase the mainboard Case and video Cards. Any suggestions/comments/concerns with the hardware I've chosen before I loose my return windows.

I will be running at least 4 VM's two of which will be Win 10 PC "replacements" ala Linus Techtips. One will be a Trans-coding VM for Emby Server and Air Video HD. The last one will be a downloading VM for Sabnzbd, Sickbeard, Couch potato, transmission.

Server Build Parts/Notes Below

CPU- 2x Intel Xeon E5-2670 SR0KX Stepping - Natex - $65.00 ea. - Purchased

** Main Board - Will need to have 16 slots, 128GB mem. Need to ensure video card clearance for dual VM's / HBA cards 2x**

SuperMicro  X9DR3-F - $411 - Clearance issues PCIe 1 slot

SuperMicro X9DRi-F - $407.99 - Clearance issues slot 1 PCIe 1 slot

ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16 - $375.63 - Top PCIe 4x inline with ram slot - least expensive but don't like the expansion card layout. PCI slot? Really?

Case -  Norco 4220 - New Version - $365.89 - Verify backplane is forward or reverse breakout for correct cables

My current case is a Norco 4220 v1 - Below cables are for that case but now want newer case and keep the old one as backup server.

Case - Rosewill 15 Bay 4U - $104.99 - Right amount of drive bays, see below - Drives are internal not hot swap. Difficult drive changes / upgrades

16x - Memory - Hynix DDR3  ECC 128GB - HMT31GR7AFR4C-H9 - Purchased as I'm leaning towards the Supermicro boards.

2x - CPU Coolers/Fans -  Noctua NH-U12DX i4 - Comes with both narrow ILM and square  - purchased

2x - Plus 2x Noctua 120mm fans -  I already have.

3x - HBA - SuperMicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 SAS/SATA 600MB/s - Purchased (third is spare.)

3x - Forward Break Out Cables for backplane - May need to get reverse. Case specific. - Purchsed

2x - Evga 980ti - 1070 class video cards for VM's.

1x - PSU Corsair H1000i - Already own.

Drive Set up for new system

- 12x WD Red 3TB - Storage Array / NAS / for XFS - Purchsed - Price to size sweet spot - 36TB

- 2x Samsung Evo 850 250GB - Cache Pool for BTRFS / VM Host - Purchased - Already have 1 added another

- 1x WD Red 4TB - Parity Drive - Purchased - Upgrade path capable without swapping to larger parity.

Thoughts?  :-\ Thanks for your help suggestions. I'll most likely make my final purchases tomorrow or Monday given any comments made here.

Just so you know, you can use docker containers for a lot of those things (emby, sab, couchp, sickb, etc.). No need for full VMs that require dedicated resources.

Forgot to mention Dockers, thanks for the reminder. That will mean I'll have 3 total VM's The rest Dockers. Still thinking like my old system. The hardware was not powerful enough to run them. So now i'll run Two PC replacement VM's and a Trans-coding System / Editing system. The rest I'll docker.

Of the main boards I'm leaning towards the SuperMicro  X9DR3-F. Seems to be the best spec'd board of the bunch.

• 2 weeks later...

I am using Asrock Rack EP2C602-4L/D16 MOBO with my dual E5 2670 and am getting issues with IOMMU.

BIOS -

intel TXT(lt-sx) Dependencies

The following must be supported and enabled.

VT-D Support        Disabled

VT Support          Enabled

TPM Support        Disabled

TPM State            Disabled

Ideas?

I am using Asrock Rack EP2C602-4L/D16 MOBO with my dual E5 2670 and am getting issues with IOMMU.

BIOS -

Ideas?

If you have enabled the settings for vt-d, then you might have bought the wrong CPU. There is one that does not support vt-d. The correct stepping should be  SR0KX .

BIOS -

Ideas?

If you have enabled the settings for vt-d, then you might have bought the wrong CPU. There is one that does not support vt-d. The correct stepping should be  SR0KX .

I got my from them and they worked just fine. They are also very good if you have any issues.

BIOS -

Ideas?

I got my from them and they worked just fine. They are also very good if you have any issues.

I didn't see him posting where he bought it, and I didn't assume he bought it from the link in the OP, but I might have missed it if he has mentioned it earlier :)

BIOS -

Ideas?

I didn't see him posting where he bought it, and I didn't assume he bought it from the link in the OP, but I might have missed it if he has mentioned it earlier :)

its in the list

" CPU- 2x Intel Xeon E5-2670 SR0KX Stepping - Natex - $65.00 ea. - Purchased"

BIOS -

Ideas?

its in the list

The issue is fixed, he posted on like 4 threads about the same thing, should have spent that time reading the manual  ;)

BIOS -

Ideas?

its in the list

That is snuffy1pro. The one with the vt-d problem is rory4881  ;)

BIOS -

Ideas?

its in the list

The issue is fixed, he did like 4 posts about the same thing, should have spent that time reading the manual  ;)

Well... He was busy posting  ;D

Not sure why I'm mentioned above the IOMMU issue is not me. But anyway. No real comments on my post so I'll update what I've done thus far in my research and hardware purchases.

I am waiting for one more part, the case, and I can begin to build "Shogun." All of the parts below are now delivered or in except the case. Of course. I will be logging the build and system transfer to the new server with complete pics shorty. New Thread.

Below parts are again all bought and delivered save the case.

CPU - 2x Intel Xeon E5-2670 SR0KX Stepping - Natex

M/B - SuperMicro  X9DR3-F - Amazon

Case - Lian Li PC-D600 - Amazon - Last part needed back ordered.

3x iStarUSA 3x5.25" to 5x3.5" drive cages v3 - blue - I like the color and the v3 backplane setup. Will give me 15 drives total plus 2x 2.5 SSD inside the case for my cache pool

16x - 8GB sticks Hynix DDR3  ECC 128GB Memory - HMT31GR7AFR4C-H9 - Natex

2x - Corsair Hydro H80i - Amazon

3x - Noctua 140mm fans - Rear fan replacement in case - Amazon

3x - Noctua 80mm fans - Replacement PWM fans for Drive cages - Amazon

3x - HBA - SuperMicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 SAS/SATA 600MB/s - Amazon

3x - 3TB WD Red Nas Drives - Amazon

2x - 4TB WD Red Nas Drives - Amazon

1x - 6TB WD Red Nas Drive - Amazon - parity

2x - Samsung EVO 850 250GB - Amazon - Cache pool

6x - Forward Break Out Cables for backplane - blue - Amazon

1x - Evga 980ti video card for VM's - Already own

1x - Evga 780ti video card for VM's - Already own

1x - PSU Corsair H1000i - Already own however I might buy a 1200W EVGA supernova instead.

MISC. LED lighs - LOL

Using the Unbalance plugin I moved all of my data to my existing 3TB drives and pulled out 12x WD Green 1TB drives. I'll use my other pro license with the old drives as a backup server.

I only upgraded the old system with the new drives already so it would be an easy fast swap when the case comes in. Where's that darn case already...??

I believe the is one of the more popular dual cpu boards discussed here. Newegg has it back in stock and just dropped the price back under $300.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157350&cm_re=EP2C602-4L%2fD16-_-13-157-350-_-Product

Hopefully you animals don't buy them all up before I get a chance to make up my mind. I just recently received a new chassic (supermicro 846) and am really torn between this board and getting a more expensive supermicor X9 board.