$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

Just wondering what most of you are using your UnRaid boxes for? I hardly peg my i5 box right now and don't anticipate making a dent in a dual Xeon set up, so what are you doing on your systems? Other than what I am currently using it for, ie. CouchPotato, Plex, Sonarr, etc. I plan on running a Windows lab environment for testing a few applications so I can gain some additional knowledge around solutions I might consider deploying at work.

Roughly the same thing.  NAS and media server (Hopefully I can jam 4 more HDDs into my case).  Biggest reason for the dual socket is that I plan on merging my minecraft server with this system.  Then adding more VMs for testing purposes.

With my Noctua NH-U9DXi4's Full load prime95 small FFT's testing, I'm getting 71C after 1 hour.  Not the greatest temps but under that kinda torture, I'm pleased.  TJ Max is 100C for these chips so plenty of headroom.

Strange thing is I have one Costa Rica chip out of my 4, and that one sees to like to run hotter..

Thanks. I currently have the Supermicro SNK-P0048AP4 fans, and they keep the temps less than 65C, but they are a little loud.  I was going to replace them with Noctua NH-D9DX i4 3U, but it looks like I shouldnt spend the money to do that.

I don't know if it was missed in my original comment, as I see some comments asking idle/load.

71C under FULL LOAD.  ALL cores at 100% load for over 1 hour.

These noctuas keep all cores under 33C at idle, and do the job very well, while staying relatively quiet under full load.

EDIT:  Its the Costa Rica Chip that runs at 71C under full load.  All the rest stay under 68C at Full Load.

With my Noctua NH-U9DXi4's Full load prime95 small FFT's testing, I'm getting 71C after 1 hour.  Not the greatest temps but under that kinda torture, I'm pleased.  TJ Max is 100C for these chips so plenty of headroom.

Strange thing is I have one Costa Rica chip out of my 4, and that one sees to like to run hotter..

Is the fans on the  NH-U9DXi4 in a push/push  or push/pull  setup? for both coolers?

I'm afraid this question doesn't really make sense to me.

There's only really one way to setup these fans and that is a Push/Pull config.

Any other direction and you'll just be kiling the life of the fans as they will work against each other.

Just wondering what most of you are using your UnRaid boxes for? I hardly peg my i5 box right now and don't anticipate making a dent in a dual Xeon set up, so what are you doing on your systems? Other than what I am currently using it for, ie. CouchPotato, Plex, Sonarr, etc. I plan on running a Windows lab environment for testing a few applications so I can gain some additional knowledge around solutions I might consider deploying at work.

Roughly the same thing.  NAS and media server (Hopefully I can jam 4 more HDDs into my case).  Biggest reason for the dual socket is that I plan on merging my minecraft server with this system.  Then adding more VMs for testing purposes.

Hehe thats what I did, merged in my Minecraft server.

What you run yours on, right now I use a VM with MineOS... Not incredibly happy with the latest iterations of the webUI for MineOS though... Its just, wonky to me..

Well I finally got around to upgrading my server as well.

Thanks to everyone who put forth their ideas in this thread.

I went the opposite direction of most of you, I went with a X79 board and only one 2670, but I'm very very happy with the upgrade.

All in all I'm in this for under $320:

CPU: $64

Motherboard: $185

CPU Cooler: $55 (Noctua NH-D14, went a little overboard)

GPU: $15 (GT210)

Screen_Shot_2016-03-03_at_20_14_20.png.5ee0addd89663c3334c5c265f7852ac6.png

But, what are your temps like when all the cores are pegged?

I quartered my video encode times from my AMD FX 8320... without using the whole CPU on this machine (left a few threads out for VMs, the OS, dockers). The goal with pinning the Handbrake docker to not all the cores is so that a video encode doesn't encroach on performance of anything else.

I quartered my video encode times from my AMD FX 8320... without using the whole CPU on this machine (left a few threads out for VMs, the OS, dockers). The goal with pinning the Handbrake docker to not all the cores is so that a video encode doesn't encroach on performance of anything else.

I definitely need to get on board with Handbrake. Solely using Couchpotato and Sonarr for everything but I'd like a nice library full of lossless rips. I'd like everything to be of perfect quality.

Love that you have enough cores that you can Pin them to specific Dockers, VM's, etc. I will stand amongst you soon enough.  ;D

I definitely need to get on board with Handbrake. Solely using Couchpotato and Sonarr for everything but I'd like a nice library full of lossless rips. I'd like everything to be of perfect quality.

Love that you have enough cores that you can Pin them to specific Dockers, VM's, etc. I will stand amongst you soon enough.  ;D

You don't need handbrake to make lossless rips. You can use makemkv for that if you want mkv files.

I'm afraid this question doesn't really make sense to me.

There's only really one way to setup these fans and that is a Push/Pull config.

Any other direction and you'll just be kiling the life of the fans as they will work against each other.

i'm sorry , wasnt able to find any decent pictures of it from both sides/video review.

*points finger at amazon...bad *

i had assumed it was a on push pull.

CPU's  are here wohooo!

just a warning to international buyers.

RAM -  stuck in

"Customs Documentation and Labeling

Mar-03-16, 14:45 PM, Erlanger, Kentucky

Delay at Global Shipping Center - Item Potentially Restricted

Mar-02-16, 10:14 AM, Erlanger, Kentucky"

CASE and ASROCK board otw within uk.

***taps fingers**

oh  yeah need a new PSU since my 550silent really wont cut the mustard on this build.

any thoughts on EVGA SuperNova P2 850W Platinum £125 / $176 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011RGX5MU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

another one ive seen is the EVGA SuperNova G2 850W Gold @ £99 / $140 http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=220-G2-0850-XR

any thoughts on EVGA SuperNova P2 850W Platinum £125 / $176 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011RGX5MU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

another one ive seen is the EVGA SuperNova G2 850W Gold @ £99 / $140 http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=220-G2-0850-XR

Anything XX50 EVGA is a rebrand of SeaSonic

Anything XX00 EVGA is a rebrand of SuperFlower

Two of the best and most reputable PSU manufacturers out there.

So yes That is a QUALITY PSU.

Need IPMI Help

I am going to start the MB and CPUs swap this weekend. I keep reading about IPMI - which, if I understand correctly, keeps track of temperature sensors. How is this implemented/used within unRAID? I have Dynamix System Temperature plugin installed.

I know there is an IPMI plugin... is it just a matter of installing that? I see there are connectors and/or ethernet ports for this in my new Supermicro MB. Do I need to bother with that stuff?

I got 2 of these Artic Freezer i11 heatsinks and I want to make sure it all runs within normal parameters. I am not planning on running anything major other than 1 or 2 PLex streams, and the SAB, SB, CP stuff.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186093

Thanks,

H.

@hernandito

You did not say which board you have. But if its a SuperMicro, I have some experience with it.

IPMI does much more than monitor temperatures. When its turned on a SuperMicro board will acquire two IP addresses. One is for the board to be able to access the internet as you expect.  The second is to access a webpage where you can interact with the IPMI functionality of your board.

Many SM boards come with a NIC that is dedicated to IPMI. It is usually a Realtek NIC, while the others are Intel. If you connect this port up to your switch, then you'll always be able to access the webpage at the IPMI ports IP address so you'll be able to power cycle the machine even if the computer is otherwise non-responsive.

From this page, you can also monitor the boot process over the internet and even enter the bios setup screen to change settings.

SM also supplies IPMIView, an app that enables you to access your board's IPMI features if you don't like the webpage.

I know other MB manufacturers offer IPMI functionality, but I have no experience with them.

@hernandito

You did not say which board you have. But if its a SuperMicro, I have some experience with it.

IPMI does much more than monitor temperatures. When its turned on a SuperMicro board will acquire two IP addresses. One is for the board to be able to access the internet as you expect.  The second is to access a webpage where you can interact with the IPMI functionality of your board.

Many SM boards come with a NIC that is dedicated to IPMI. It is usually a Realtek NIC, while the others are Intel. If you connect this port up to your switch, then you'll always be able to access the webpage at the IPMI ports IP address so you'll be able to power cycle the machine even if the computer is otherwise non-responsive.

From this page, you can also monitor the boot process over the internet and even enter the bios setup screen to change settings.

SM also supplies IPMIView, an app that enables you to access your board's IPMI features if you don't like the webpage.

I know other MB manufacturers offer IPMI functionality, but I have no experience with them.

Same stuff on the ASRock boards.

Just make sure you're getting IPMI v2

Check out the PSU tier list. Both are ranked tier one.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

@hernandito

Thank you Kamhighway, I did not know about what you mentioned. Sounds awesome!

I have the MBD-X9DRL-IF-B ATX model. Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182670

Couple other questions:

1) So I MUST connect both ethernet ports to my router/switch?

2) How do I know which internal IP the IPMI NIC will have? Something that I setup in the bios?

Thanks again,

H.

Check out the PSU tier list. Both are ranked tier one.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Thanks, im convinced enough to order one :) -  Budget is being tight now so had to choose the G2.  £25 difference.

I have the MBD-X9DRL-IF-B ATX model. Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182670

Couple other questions:

2) How do I know which internal IP the IPMI NIC will have? Something that I setup in the bios?

Thanks again,

H.

I have the exact same board. 

You do NOT have to connect the dedicated IPMI port to your router/switch.  BTW, the dedicated IPMI port is the one above the USB ports.  However, I've found that the dedicated port is nice because if a VM or a docker completely goes berserk and you lose ethernet, the dedicated port is unaffected so you can still get in and power cycle the computer.

There is a menu in the bios settings that is all about the settings for the IPMI functionality.  I think it might be labeled "BMC settings." That's where you can assign an IP address to access your IPMI features.

Couple other questions:

Thanks again,

H.

You do NOT have to connect the dedicated IPMI port to your router/switch.  BTW, the dedicated IPMI port is the one above the USB ports.  However, I've found that the dedicated port is nice because if a VM or a docker completely goes berserk and you lose ethernet, the dedicated port is unaffected so you can still get in and power cycle the computer.

There is a menu in the bios settings that is all about the settings for the IPMI functionality.  I think it might be labeled "BMC settings." That's where you can assign an IP address to access your IPMI features.

So glad to hear someone else w/ same board. I cannot make heads of tails on how to connect the HDD Light and Power Light, etc. The JF1 does not show + and - symbols like the connectors for my case. Any chance you could take a close photo of this? I have Googled and no luck w/ this. The only ones labeled are Power and Reset.

Thank you!

H.

Exactly what my plan is,  maybe do an unbuntu vm, get handbrake or IFME on there with some other stuff. And start to recode my burden of  media. Currently converting alot of anime and tv shows to HEVC 265.  and the results are great from 25-60% of orfinal size and no noticable quality loss.

on the i-7 6700k with 32gb ddr and a lazy r390  typical encodes are: 

standard(25m epi) =6-10mins

full epi (45min)=15min encode

HD full epi = 25-30min. Cant wait to see what 30core's could do!  ok ok ok thats when i turn off 2vm's for open elec etc.

Defintely keeping my eye on this Good deals forum :)))

Couple other questions:

Thanks again,

H.

So glad to hear someone else w/ same board. I cannot make heads of tails on how to connect the HDD Light and Power Light, etc. The JF1 does not show + and - symbols like the connectors for my case. Any chance you could take a close photo of this? I have Googled and no luck w/ this. The only ones labeled are Power and Reset.

Thank you!

H.

The manual had it labeled.

Jumpers_zpsvmy7afrt.png

Thank you!

H.

If you are talking about the connector itself, look on the other side (Opposite of print).  There might be a small engraved arrow that is pointing down.  That should be +.

@hernandito

I have my board in a supermicro 4u sc846 case.  Inside the case, there is one big connector that goes on top of the entire block of pins for the front panel.  It makes it very easy to set up, but it means I don't need to know which pin is the power + and which is the power - pin.  Looks like some of the other forum members have posted some more helpful info for you though.