$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

Dual 750 platinum PS awesome.

16x2.5 hotswap, hmm. Not many of us are using 2.5 drives for the array yet.  Are you going to fill it with 2.5 drives?

Glad to hear it's quiet.  But this requires the ipmi upgrade module doesn't it?

Thanks for the update. 

Dual 750 platinum PS awesome.

16x2.5 hotswap, hmm. Not many of us are using 2.5 drives for the array yet.  Are you going to fill it with 2.5 drives?

Glad to hear it's quiet.

The same seller also has the redundant 750 watt chassis with 8x3.5" HSBP (with and without redundant chassis fans).  But yeah, I'm going to load this new box with lots of 2.5" drives (won't be using unRAID), this'll be a dedicated ESXi box.

I thought esxi was limited to 32gb ram for the hobbyists? Are you using a paid version?

The free ESXi 6 version had it's HW limits all but eliminated (basically your VMs are limited to utilizing only 8 vCPUs):

http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor/gettingstarted.html

Specifications

Number of cores per physical CPU: No limit

Number of physical CPUs per host: No limit

Number of logical CPUs per host: 480

Maximum vCPUs per virtual machine: 8

Regards,

Jake

I'm going to go grab one of these EVGA 850 G2 units. Super Flower OEM with a 10 year warranty. I think that may (or not) solve the issue.

The 50 lines are not SuperFlower, they are Seasonic rebrands.

The 00 lines are SuperFlower.

Still a much better choice.

though you might want to check the Good Deals forum, I posted a link to an $85.00 Seasonic X-850.  Same PSU you're looking at, and Currently what's powering the Juggernaut, My Dual E5-2670.

That PSU is a great buy, I'll have to grab one.

I ended up borrowing a Corsair RM850i and the board now boots fine with all memory installed and both CPUs. I guess my cx600 just didn't cut it. I'll keep it as a spare I guess.

I may keep the Corsair. Got a great review http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=441.

I'm going to go grab one of these EVGA 850 G2 units. Super Flower OEM with a 10 year warranty. I think that may (or not) solve the issue.

though you might want to check the Good Deals forum, I posted a link to an $85.00 Seasonic X-850.  Same PSU you're looking at, and Currently what's powering the Juggernaut, My Dual E5-2670.

I ended up borrowing a Corsair RM850i and the board now boots fine with all memory installed and both CPUs. I guess my cx600 just didn't cut it. I'll keep it as a spare I guess.

I may keep the Corsair. Got a great review http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=441.

Nice so its just a PSU issue.  How are the passive heatsinks working?

Now.... I want to try Opelec virtualized. Can anyone recommend a low cost, video card with hdmi and hdmi audio that I can use as a VM HTPC?

I am hoping that I can pass thru the hdmi card and the audio to the VM. I will also have to plugin a USB IR receiver.

Just this morning, I picked up a "PNY - GeForce GT 610 1GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card - Black" on sale $45.99 at Best Buy.  I tossed it into the new (2) E5-2670 box and spun up an Ubuntu 15.10 VM (from unRAID) and it passed through HDMI video and HDMI audio without issue.  I also installed Kodi, and the VDPAU accelerated video playback worked just fine; so you shouldn't have any problems with OpenELEC with it.

Regards,

Jake

Now.... I want to try Opelec virtualized. Can anyone recommend a low cost, video card with hdmi and hdmi audio that I can use as a VM HTPC?

I am hoping that I can pass thru the hdmi card and the audio to the VM. I will also have to plugin a USB IR receiver.

I've given up using AMD cards due to hdcp issues in Windows under virtualization.  Opelec shouldn't have those issues but if you think you will create a windows VMware just stick with an Nvidia card.  There may be newer or better cards but im using this msi 720gt with great success.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127805

Single slot  2g and low power usage.

I had to put fans on top of each, but once I did that temps haven't gotten above 44c running memtest in annopen test bench.

The real test will be when it gets into my server case with all the drives. Luckily there are 5 120mm fans and 2 80mm fans in the back.

I had to put fans on top of each, but once I did that temps haven't gotten above 44c running memtest in annopen test bench.

The real test will be when it gets into my server case with all the drives. Luckily there are 5 120mm fans and 2 80mm fans in the back.

Success!!

unraid_2cpu.JPG.e1d82c9d9f0c9f70e8f33c9c41326f29.JPG

I must say...

We be all some badazz hardcore nerdz.

I think I'll have to set Juggernaut to Fold while not in use.  It feels wrong to have this juice sitting around and do nothing when idle...

I feel the same way. All this power will sit idle 80% of the time, might as well use it for good.

Success!!

What size are the heatsinks, so I know what fans to order.

Thanks

Success!!

What size are the heatsinks, so I know what fans to order.

Thanks

I'll check to make sure, but I'm pretty sure they are 92mm

I think I'll have to set Juggernaut to Fold while not in use.  It feels wrong to have this juice sitting around and do nothing when idle...
I feel the same way. All this power will sit idle 80% of the time, might as well use it for good.
With great power, comes great responsibility?

With great power, comes great responsibility?

I'd like to think it's something that honorable...

..  But I suspect the kid in me is more on the Tim Allen line of thinking ...  MORE POWER!

So I woke up this morning to an unpleasant surprise. I have the ipmi plugin installed that can send email alerts for system issues, and it emailed me at 3am (while the system was completely idle), that the cpu was at 103 degress Celcius and had been there all morning.

I sprinted downstairs to see what was going on, opened up my Norco, and found the cpu heatsinks/heatpipes etc to be cool to the touch... Machine was completely idle with 3% usage...

I rebooted and cpu temp reading returned to its normal idle temp of 39-43 Celcius...

Anyone seen this before? Is this a motherboard issue? A cpu issue? a fluke?

One thing I noticed was if you convert 103 F into Celcius, you get 39.444 .... Could this be a conversion issue?

Also, I'm wondering if the mods should move this thread (or parts of it), to the cpu forum. I'm not sure if our discussions are still relevant for good deals...

[EDIT] It happend again, though this time, it seems to have reset itself immediately (time stamp was the same second)...

Hey folks,

Here's the link to the updated BMC firmware 0.13.9 and BIOS P1.89E that I received from ASRock support to fix my incorrect cpu temperature display. It hasn't happened again since I flashed the BMC and BIOS, but no guarantees.

This is for the ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16. The one with the 16 ram slots.

As this is not even hosted on their site, but in Dropbox, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Obviously this is beta software and not officially recommended by ASRock. If it was me, I wouldn't flash my $500 motherboard with some random firmware/bios unless I was having the same issue.

Again, to reiterate: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

I just wanted to thank you once again for posting these BIOS images. I pulled them down when you posted them.

However, I haven't gotten around to setting up the new system yesterday/tonight/this morning. I spent way too long on cleaning up the old system. Then I had some issues when configuring DHCP settings on the router and had to play musical cables with the NICs to actually get it so eth0 was the one used. Then I also had to play musical cables with the SATA ports to get the drives detected. After all those OCD (CDO) issues, I finally got it running.

I was encountering the cpu temp readings of 103 C. After flashing the BMC Firmware the temps are now reading 33 C and 35 C when the system is idle.

I'll have to put it through some stress work tomorrow to see how the cooling setup behaves. I may be considering a new case, since the multi-decade old CM Stacker 810 is very cramped with the HotSwap Drive Cages and the motherboard.

Also, I cant seem to change the username/password for the IPMI. It says the changes were saved, but then the only thing that works to get into IPMI is the old u/p combo.

Yeah i have a nvidia gt730 for my first vm amd tested openelec the audio is selectable as geforce i think.

Only issue ive had so far is openelec is still in beta and keeps restarting itself. Atm ive installed a ubuntu vm with kodi as a primary login. Seems to be stable.

Lastly i have a cec pulse eight adapter plugged in to use remote functions but doesnt look like its passing thru

hope that helps you .

My build is just waiting for ram and osu to turn up...its like xmas!

I just wanted to thank you once again for posting these BIOS images. I pulled them down when you posted them.

I was encountering the cpu temp readings of 103 C. After flashing the BMC Firmware the temps are now reading 33 C and 35 C when the system is idle.

My pleasure! I know it's not a real issue (the cpu isn't actually 103 Degrees), but it was still irritating (Especially as these boards are not $70 specials!), and I figure if it irritates me, it'll irritate others!

With respect to the cpu temp, the new bios/firmware have helped, but, in my case, have not fixed the problem. Before I would get the 103 Degrees warning, and often it would just stay there unless I rebooted. With the new bios/firmware, it seems to correct itself fairly quickly when it occurs... Not fast enough to delay an email being sent to me, but at least it is self-fixing...

I contacted ASRock again and they told me this should have fixed the issue... Please let me know if you see the same results, or if your board stops the behavior completely.

My pleasure! I know it's not a real issue (the cpu isn't actually 103 Degrees), but it was still irritating (Especially as these boards are not $70 specials!), and I figure if it irritates me, it'll irritate others!

With respect to the cpu temp, the new bios/firmware have helped, but, in my case, have not fixed the problem. Before I would get the 103 Degrees warning, and often it would just stay there unless I rebooted. With the new bios/firmware, it seems to correct itself fairly quickly when it occurs... Not fast enough to delay an email being sent to me, but at least it is self-fixing...

I contacted ASRock again and they told me this should have fixed the issue... Please let me know if you see the same results, or if your board stops the behavior completely.

I only updated the BMC Firmware, so fix is not fully applied, but I did see the same behavior. The next day instead of seeing things set at 103, it had events lasting maybe a minute of the temps being above the threshold of 91. I'll take a look after work to see if it happened again and if so for how long. Then i will update the bios too and report my findings.

I only updated the BMC Firmware, so fix is not fully applied, but I did see the same behavior. The next day instead of seeing things set at 103, it had events lasting maybe a minute of the temps being above the threshold of 91. I'll take a look after work to see if it happened again and if so for how long. Then i will update the bios too and report my findings.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Would you consider returning the board if it ends up behaving the same as mine after the bios flash, or would you just live with it?

Anyone else seeing this behavior who bought this board?

AHHAHHAHHAHA it LIVES!!!

IMG_20160306_032421_zpsqhdr9ksj.jpg

I must say...

We be all some badazz hardcore nerdz.

What do you guys use to fold? VM or Docker?

Finally capped some images below. Really happy with the setup, however need to do something about cooling/noise. I have this box in a dedicated closet, complete with filtered intake air; however the setup is currently still too noisy for me. I can hear it during quiet scenes when in my theater room, and the neighboring tinkering room. Would prefer not to hear it outside the closet at all.

Currently have airflow reversed, pulling from the back and exhausting the front. Need to relocate my rooms air intake in order to effectively be able to swap that. Right now, the air intake to the room is sitting directly behind my case. Also need to clean up my cable routing, at some point soon. :)

If anyone has any pointers on lowering her temp, specifically the 4 center cooling fans, would be appreciated.

width=800http://i.imgur.com/ETEjllQ.jpg[/img]

width=800http://i.imgur.com/zzA9JWD.jpg[/img]

width=800http://i.imgur.com/5k34JU5.jpg[/img]

.....Edited your post to reduce the image size because it was blowing up our browsers. ;)

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Would you consider returning the board if it ends up behaving the same as mine after the bios flash, or would you just live with it?

Anyone else seeing this behavior who bought this board?

I have not yet flashed the firmware, but here's the behavior with the BMC Firmware update only. It no longer lives up at the extreme temps, but still seems to trigger it now and then. The longest is around 9 seconds duration from time it asserts to time it clears.

Upper Critical (UC):    0 ° C

Upper Non-Critical (UNC):    91 ° C

---

1 03/06/2016 14:19:09 CPU_BSP1 Temp Temperature Upper Non-Critical - Going High - Asserted

2 03/06/2016 14:19:12 CPU_BSP1 Temp Temperature Upper Non-Critical - Going High - Deasserted

3 03/06/2016 15:23:13 CPU_BSP1 Temp Temperature Upper Non-Critical - Going High - Asserted

4 03/06/2016 15:23:16 CPU_BSP1 Temp Temperature Upper Non-Critical - Going High - Deasserted

5 03/06/2016 18:53:14 CPU_BSP1 Temp Temperature Upper Non-Critical - Going High - Asserted

6 03/06/2016 18:53:23 CPU_BSP1 Temp Temperature Upper Non-Critical - Going High - Deasserted

7 03/07/2016 00:33:30 CPU_BSP1 Temp Temperature Upper Non-Critical - Going High - Asserted

8 03/07/2016 00:33:33 CPU_BSP1 Temp Temperature Upper Non-Critical - Going High - Deasserted

9 03/07/2016 09:56:17 CPU_BSP1 Temp Temperature Upper Non-Critical - Going High - Asserted

10 03/07/2016 09:56:26 CPU_BSP1 Temp Temperature Upper Non-Critical - Going High - Deasserted

11 03/07/2016 12:01:02 CPU_BSP1 Temp Temperature Upper Non-Critical - Going High - Asserted

12 03/07/2016 12:01:05 CPU_BSP1 Temp Temperature Upper Non-Critical - Going High - Deasserted

13 03/07/2016 12:21:04 CPU_BSP1 Temp Temperature Upper Non-Critical - Going High - Asserted

14 03/07/2016 12:21:07 CPU_BSP1 Temp Temperature Upper Non-Critical - Going High - Deasserted

15 03/07/2016 12:30:12 CPU_BSP1 Temp Temperature Upper Non-Critical - Going High - Asserted

16 03/07/2016 12:30:21 CPU_BSP1 Temp Temperature Upper Non-Critical - Going High - Deasserted