$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

Ronni,

So, you initially experienced the follow POST beep code:

"Also getting Beep Code 1-5-4-4 and can't seem to figure out why. I tried resetting BIOS by removing the battery but it continues to beep after I reconnect to power."

...which was the Power Control Fault; which another person here had also experienced with an insufficient PS.  I think it was a CX650 or something like that.  Evidently it has a poor reputation.  He swapped to a higher quality PS and it resolved his issue.

Then you removed the battery... if you wanted to clear the BIOS (CMOS SETTINGS), the proper method was to place the BIOS Default jumper to the CLEAR position per the manual (page 100):

BIOS Default (a.k.a CMOS Clear) and Password Reset Usage Procedure

The BIOS Default (that is, CMOS Clear) and Password Reset recovery features are designed

such that the desired operation can be achieved with minimal system downtime. The usage

procedure for these two features has changed from previous generation Intel ® server boards.

The following procedure outlines the new usage model.

Set BIOS to default (Clearing the CMOS)

To clear the CMOS, perform the following steps:

1. Power down the server. Do not unplug the power cord.

2. Open the server chassis. For instructions, see your server chassis documentation.

3. Move jumper from the default operating position (covering pins 1 and 2) to the

reset/clear position (covering pins 2 and 3).

4. Wait five seconds.

5. Remove AC power.

6. Move the jumper back to the default position (covering pins 1 and 2).

7. Close the server chassis.

8. Power up the server.

The CMOS is now cleared and can be reset by going into the BIOS setup.

Note: Removing AC power before performing the CMOS clear operation causes the system to

automatically power up and immediately power down, after the procedure is followed and AC

power is re-applied. If this happens, remove the AC power cord again, wait 30 seconds, and re-

install the AC power cord.

So after you did some other stuff you now notice in the SEL (system error logs) "SPS FW Health: Internal Error.  Error during firmware execution";    I think you should read up on and try the BIOS recovery procedure.

So, in order to do this, I'd suggest that you populate a CPU in the first CPU slot, populate 1 channel of RAM (2 DIMMS), then run through the BIOS Recovery procedure.  Read the instructions from the FIRMWARE update package.  There's a subdirectory within named BIOS Recovery Files that contains the BIOS Recovery Proceedure.txt.  *Read it, Learn it, Love it* :)

BIOS Recovery Procedure

In the unlikely event the BIOS is corrupted, leaving the system in an

unbootable state, it may be necessary to perform the following BIOS Recovery

procedure. 

1.  Copy the following BIOS update files to the root directory of a USB media

device (Recovery Media):

? IPMI.EFI

? IFlash32.EFI

? RML.ROM

? R##.##.####REC.CAP (where ##.##.#### = BIOS revision number)

? STARTUP.NSH ? modified to support BIOS recovery

Note: These specific files will be located in the "BIOS Recovery Files" folder

included in the System Update Package.

2.  Power OFF the system

3.  Locate the BIOS Recovery Jumper on the server board and move the jumper

block from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3 (recovery setting)

4.  Insert the recovery media into any available USB port on the back of

the server

Note: The front panel USB ports may not work for this procedure on some server

systems.

5.  Power ON the system

6.  The system will automatically boot into the embedded EFI Shell

7.  The STARTUP.NSH file automatically executes and initiates the flash update.

When complete, the IFlash utility will display a message

8.  Power OFF the system and return the BIOS Recovery jumper to its default

position

9.  Remove recovery media from the USB port

10. Power ON the system

11. Do *NOT* interrupt the BIOS POST during the first boot.

...and

BIOS Recovery Jumper

The BIOS Recovery process can be initiated by setting the BIOS Recovery jumper. The

recovery media must contain the following files under the root directory:

1. RML.ROM

2. UEFI iFlash32 11.0 Build 8 (including ipmi.efi )

3. *Rec.CAP

4. BIOS.nsh (update accordingly to use proper *Rec.CAP file)

BIOS starts the recovery process by first loading and booting to the recovery image file

(RML.ROM) on the root directory of the recovery media (USB flash drive). This process takes

place before any video or console is available. Once the system boots to this recovery image

file, it will boot automatically into EFI shell to invoke the BIOS.nsh script and start the flash

update application (IFlash32.efi). IFlash32.efi requires the supporting BIOS Capsule image file

(*Rec.CAP). After the update is complete, there will be a message displayed stating that the

"BIOS has been updated successfully" indicating the recovery process is finished.The User

should then switch the recovery jumper back to normal operation and restart the system by

performing a power cycle.

The following steps demonstrate this recovery process:

1. Power OFF the system.

2. Insert recovery media.

3. Switch the recovery jumper. Details regarding the jumper ID and location can be

obtained from the Board EPS for that Platform.

4. Power ON the system.

5. The BIOS POST screen will appear displaying the progress and system automatically

boots to the EFI SHELL.

6. BIOS.nsh file executes, and initiates the flash update (IFlash32.efi) with new capsule file

(*Rec.CAP). The regular IFlash message will be displayed at the end of the process,

once the flash update succeeds.

7. Power OFF the system, and revert the recovery jumper position to "normal operation".

8. Power ON the system.

9. Do *NOT* interrupt the BIOS POST during the first boot.

Tried it without memory and CPU and finally got a 1-5-2-1 beep error. I swapped CPU's and placed the CPU that was previously in CPU socket 2 in CPU socket 1 and placed two different memory sticks in A1 and B1. Same results with Click, spin and LED's. Also same Event Log results.

Not sure what it is and I am beginning to think its time to shop for a new board. Any suggestions would be helpful whether for a new board or with what you think could be the issue.

Here is the panel layout of intel server boards.  I hope it gives you some ideas.  I will say intel server boards are known to not run outside of intel server cases.  I dont know why.  I have seen at least 2 instances of the 2600 running in getto modded desktop cases.  I also know they are notorious for being picky on power supplies, even if the board only draws 250 watts peak.

frontpanelpinout.jpg.b67b9aab9d7b79b8c5adbe07e9997565.jpg

jwegman/All -

I have tried resetting BIOS according to the instructions within the Intel Technicial Specifications for this board but I also attempted removing the CMOS battery, just for the hell of it. I haven't heard any other 1-5-4-4 errors since the initial time it occurred. I also have attempted to perform the BIOS Recovery and follow its procedure as well, again with the same result as with everything else I've attempted. Nothing seems to work.

I shot a short, roughly two minute video, (sorry for quality) and I hope it can show at least to some degree what I am seeing each and every time I power on the board. Lights, camera. action!

Ronni,

How long had you 'run' with the heatsink off?!  Was the CPU getting hot?  I would *never* power up a modern CPU like this without the heatsink on it.  I also couldn't tell by the video, but did you have the CPU aux power connected?

Upper left corner of his board, right next to the empty CPU socket, beneth the memory slots. I think thats the CPU aux power connector? When it is, its defently not connected.

jwegman/All -

I have tried resetting BIOS according to the instructions within the Intel Technicial Specifications for this board but I also attempted removing the CMOS battery, just for the hell of it. I haven't heard any other 1-5-4-4 errors since the initial time it occurred. I also have attempted to perform the BIOS Recovery and follow its procedure as well, again with the same result as with everything else I've attempted. Nothing seems to work.

I shot a short, roughly two minute video, (sorry for quality) and I hope it can show at least to some degree what I am seeing each and every time I power on the board. Lights, camera. action!

Whats your board model?

Ronni,

How long had you 'run' with the heatsink off?!  Was the CPU getting hot?  I would *never* power up a modern CPU like this without the heatsink on it.  I also couldn't tell by the video, but did you have the CPU aux power connected?

Completely agree, I would never run them for sustained periods like this but since I had everything connected initially and then ran into this issue I had to clean everything in an effort to re-test. Again I would definitely never run this for any length of time without being next to it to monitor temperatures. The CPU's never got hot because the board is never truly turning on. You see the lights on and the fans run for a brief moment but that's it. No BIOS, no video output, nothing so after testing every other way I figured I'd reattach everything minus thermal paste and heatsinks just to test again.

Anyways in the video the top left is not CPU AUX but CPU 2 PWR whereas Top Right is CPU 1 PWR and Bottom Right is Main PWR. Didn't think I needed to plug it in since there was no CPU 2 installed but I tested it that way as well with no luck. Right now I have both installed as I had it originally and still no luck and same exact results. It does not POST, no video, just the exact same results. Also it will not perform a BIOS Recovery. I've tried it with the latest firmware and the step up from where I am now. Only thing that works is BMC Web Console.

In the console it reports seeing both CPUs even when they are not installed. It sees all 16 DIMMS occupied with other memory not the eight slots I have installed.Super weird issues with this motherboard. Not sure anymore what to do other than look for a replacement.

Ronni,

Completely agree, I would never run them for sustained periods like this but since I had everything connected initially and then ran into this issue I had to clean everything in an effort to re-test. Again I would definitely never run this for any length of time without being next to it to monitor temperatures. The CPU's never got hot because the board is never truly turning on. You see the lights on and the fans run for a brief moment but that's it. No BIOS, no video output, nothing so after testing every other way I figured I'd reattach everything minus thermal paste and heatsinks just to test again.

Anyways in the video the top left is not CPU AUX but CPU 2 PWR whereas Top Right is CPU 1 PWR and Bottom Right is Main PWR. Didn't think I needed to plug it in since there was no CPU 2 installed but I tested it that way as well with no luck. Right now I have both installed as I had it originally and still no luck and same exact results. It does not POST, no video, just the exact same results. Also it will not perform a BIOS Recovery. I've tried it with the latest firmware and the step up from where I am now. Only thing that works is BMC Web Console.

In the console it reports seeing both CPUs even when they are not installed. It sees all 16 DIMMS occupied with other memory not the eight slots I have installed.Super weird issues with this motherboard. Not sure anymore what to do other than look for a replacement.

Have you updated the bmc? And does the bmc confirm the bios-update?

Ronni,

Is it possible to update from within the BMC Web Console? I could not find any option within the console. If the process differs than what I've tried when attempting to update or recover BIOS then no I haven't, but if it involves getting to the EFI bootup to do so, well then I'd say I'm SOL since the board doesn't boot.

Ronni,

Is it possible to update from within the BMC Web Console? I could not find any option within the console. If the process differs than what I've tried when attempting to update or recover BIOS then no I haven't, but if it involves getting to the EFI bootup to do so, well then I'd say I'm SOL since the board doesn't boot.

No, its not possible to update from bmc, but dosent it tell you what version of bios your board have? Then you properly could tell if your board is updated or not.

I have seen the same thing with my supermicro x10slm-f board, it was a bad memory chip, and bad flashed bios. I did a bios recovery and added new memory, then everything worked. Thats why i won't you to be sure that you bios is updated to the newest release.

BIOS version is v1.02.003 On Intel's site that is the very first factory firmware available for this board. Current is somewhere v2.0.?

So you dident manage to do a bios recovery, with the newest release. I would try that again a couple af times before giving up, and make sure that the files on your usb is correct spelled with upper and lowercase characters.

Also give it som time to complete.

Tech Yes City has a video on a dual E5-2670 build.

So it idles at 200 watts, and almost all games cant use the 2nd cpu, half the games can use 8 cores, and half can use 16, but zero can get any core past 30% usage.

Overall not bad, but if you live on the coast Thats an extra $100 of free room heating in just 12 hours a day of it being on per year.

I think ill stick with my 35 watt idle baby i3 (4000 crystalmark) for a little while longer :)  Worse case i can pop in a 8500 crystalmark xeon 12XX v3 in it.

Can't seem to get this video card to pass through.

I'm using a PNY GeForce gt 610 on the ASRock EP2C602-4L MB.

I get this message 8350068198539533454f83d5ec0d0d05.jpg[/img] when I try to start the vm. Have no issues going through vnc to the VM.

Any help would be great. Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks

More info needed and maybe start your own thread about it in the KVM board  ;)

So it idles at 200 watts, and almost all games cant use the 2nd cpu, half the games can use 8 cores, and half can use 16, but zero can get any core past 30% usage.

Overall not bad, but if you live on the coast Thats an extra $100 of free room heating in just 12 hours a day of it being on per year.

I think ill stick with my 35 watt idle baby i3 (4000 crystalmark) for a little while longer :)  Worse case i can pop in a 8500 crystalmark xeon 12XX v3 in it.

Idles at 200w?  Can you elaborate? 

Monster video cards?  Wrong PS?

Some have gotten theirs to idle at 70 watts.  What have you got in your server to cause that?

Regarding the lack of use of all the cores, this is a software issue. Game developers aren't writing for beasts like yours.  These systems are more ready to run Facebook , Google than the latest action game.  And some games are better coded for multi core than others.

Can't seem to get this video card to pass through.

I'm using a PNY GeForce gt 610 on the ASRock EP2C602-4L MB.

I get this message 8350068198539533454f83d5ec0d0d05.jpg[/img] when I try to start the vm. Have no issues going through vnc to the VM.

Any help would be great. Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks

More info needed and maybe start your own thread about it in the KVM board  ;)

Thanks... Should have looked there first. I did see a hot fix related to this issue.

Thanks

Idles at 200w?  Can you elaborate? 

Monster video cards?  Wrong PS?

Some have gotten theirs to idle at 70 watts.  What have you got in your server to cause that?

Regarding the lack of use of all the cores, this is a software issue. Game developers aren't writing for beasts like yours.  These systems are more ready to run Facebook , Google than the latest action game.  And some games are better coded for multi core than others.

The only other thing hooked up to the system is a gtx 970 (like 40 watts idle, they can idle fanless?) and 2 spinning hds. No super powerfull fans and a hes got a stock consumer power supply.

I have not seen anyone idle at 70 watts with a 32nm setup.  Even my low power amd with an apu idled at 70 watts.

From what I can see Natex have the cheapest CPU and RAM ($50 cheaper than Cloudninjas on eBay)

http://www.natex.us/Intel-Xeon-E5-2670-SR0KX-2-6GHz-3-3GHz-Turbo-20M-p/e5-2670.htm

http://www.natex.us/64GB-8x8GB-PC3L-10600R-2RX4-DDR3-1333MHz-ECC-REG-p/64gb-(8x8gb)memory.htm

Highly recommended bought 2 cpus, mobo and ram from them last week, they shipped fast and it was packaged very well, all parts up and running - all for cheap prices than ebay :)

natexparts.png.21b3d517d1994f4e19b72bb57f35aed4.png

BIOS version is v1.02.003 On Intel's site that is the very first factory firmware available for this board. Current is somewhere v2.0.?

So you dident manage to do a bios recovery, with the newest release. I would try that again a couple af times before giving up, and make sure that the files on your usb is correct spelled with upper and lowercase characters.

Also give it som time to complete.

I'd like to have said that this worked but it didn't. No matter what I tried I was not able to upgrade the flash. All it ever does is the same thing each and every time I provide power to the board. (Click from speaker, leds flash, nothing else after that.) Only time I get beep errors now is when I remove all hardware from the board, which is what I expect it to do (1-5-2-1).

I've tried two other USB thumb drives with no success. I've read over the Technical Specifications and can't find any additional workarounds. I've read a number of the Technical Advisories again nothing that really pertained to what I was dealing with. I have to chalk this one up to the board having been faulty from the beginning.

Sucks as it was a giant waste of time AND after reassembling my old unRaid server I find three of my older drives decided they weren't going to spin up any more. I hadn't noticed any signs of issues and I swear those drives had only been used for roughly two years. They were Dell Enterprise drives.

Oh well, time to start all over again and see what I have left on the other drives. I am still going to pick up another board and try again with these Xeon's but unfortunately can't join the lot of you yet.

In due time I will be a dual Xeon retard and "everyone knows you never go full retard" but I guess we make exceptions to that rule. Lol.