$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

One more dumb question. Is this the right cable to go from the Intel raid card to the back of the hotswap tray that came with the P4308?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-ASR2612SASCBL-Mini-SAS-Cable-Accessory-Kit-New-Bulk-Packaging-/381225145336?ssPageName=ADME:L:COSI:US:1123

That is the proper type of cable; miniSAS to miniSAS (SFF-8087 male to SFF-8087 male)...  But I'm not sure of that specific cable's length...  You'll want something close to .70-.75meters long.

I'm using these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812117662

...and these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291453546599

Heard back from Kalley - the ones I linked are 95cm so they should work. Got 4 of them for $32 shipped ($5 / each + shipping)

That's a good price and they are quality cables.  However you'll find that the ~1 meter cables are on the long side, so you might get a bit frustrated with how they are stuffed back in the PCIe area.  Specifically if you're planning on populating some long PCIe cards.  You'll want to try and get them (the minisas cables) tucked along the side wall so they don't impede airflow of the main cooling fan(s), the cables are stiff and a bit bulky.

One more dumb question. Is this the right cable to go from the Intel raid card to the back of the hotswap tray that came with the P4308?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-ASR2612SASCBL-Mini-SAS-Cable-Accessory-Kit-New-Bulk-Packaging-/381225145336?ssPageName=ADME:L:COSI:US:1123

That is the proper type of cable; miniSAS to miniSAS (SFF-8087 male to SFF-8087 male)...  But I'm not sure of that specific cable's length...  You'll want something close to .70-.75meters long.

I'm using these:

...and these:

Heard back from Kalley - the ones I linked are 95cm so they should work. Got 4 of them for $32 shipped ($5 / each + shipping)

That's a good price and they are quality cables.  However you'll find that the ~1 meter cables are on the long side, so you might get a bit frustrated with how they are stuffed back in the PCIe area.  Specifically if you're planning on populating some long PCIe cards.  You'll want to try and get them (the minisas cables) tucked along the side wall so they don't impede airflow of the main cooling fan(s), the cables are stiff and a bit bulky.

Cool sounds good.

Got the BMC / bios / ME / FRU + SDR updates done. Fans slowed and it's no longer a turbine.

Waiting on the raid cards but going to do a mem test and preclear the drives.

Thanks again for the help. Only outstanding question I still have is what are the benefits to flashing the  RMS25KB080 with the LSI firmware over keeping the stock fw?

I'm using these:

...and these:

Cool sounds good.

Got the BMC / bios / ME / FRU + SDR updates done. Fans slowed and it's no longer a turbine.

Waiting on the raid cards but going to do a mem test and preclear the drives.

Thanks again for the help. Only outstanding question I still have is what are the benefits to flashing the  RMS25KB080 with the LSI firmware over keeping the stock fw?

Can i get the link for the downloads, i assuming you have the natex board?

I think most people would want the UEFI package instead of what you linked:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25746/Intel-Server-Board-S2600CP-Firmware-Update-Package-for-EFI?product=61088

Extract it to the root of a USB stick, then boot to the UEFI shell.  When the UEFI shell looks at the USB stick and finds the Startup.nsh file, it'll automatically execute it and bring up the initial Update menu; follow the instructions.

I think most people would want the UEFI package instead of what you linked:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25746/Intel-Server-Board-S2600CP-Firmware-Update-Package-for-EFI?product=61088

Extract it to the root of a USB stick, then boot to the UEFI shell.  When the UEFI shell looks at the USB stick and finds the Startup.nsh file, it'll automatically execute it and bring up the initial Update menu; follow the instructions.

Yeah, I grabbed the wrong link.  Thanks for the correction.  I'll update my post as well.

Do you know how to execute just the FRUSDR package?  I'm adding CPU fans and want to reconfigure the SDR.

Yes, if you want to bypass the Startup.nsh script, hit the ESC key upon entering the UEFI shell then run the UpdateFRUSDR.nsh script.  The .zip README details this.

Thanks.  Yesterday when I grabbed the link for the bios update I checked the release notes in the zip and couldn't find anything.  This is because I didn't grab the UEFI package which has additional notes for updating the modules individually as you described.  Thanks again for your help.

I'm using these:

...and these:

Cool sounds good.

Updated bios and all the good stuff, ran thru the FRUSDR and did not know how to answer so mine still its a turbine. I do not have the passive heat sinks, using noctua and my case is on from kateomallley that one of the users here posted. what im confused on the is the chassis question, is that the case or the board.

EDIT: Apparently if you do not have a the side cover on the server case fans spins like crazy, side on and they slow down. I have only worked on HP so they'll spin up and then they will slow down.

Ordered two of the RMS25KB080. They took $40 / each.

jwegmen, assuming because you have two of the cards you expanded the storage of your P4xxx case. What did you end up getting?

What are you asking?  What stepping of the cards did I end up getting?  The two RMS25KB080's that I received were B0 stepping, and the RMS25JB080 (mezzanine variant of that controller) was also B0 stepping.  I did see confirmation from another person who received a D1 stepping of the RMS25JB080 mezzanine card; so we know that they have a mix of steppings of those in their inventory.

FYI, the Intel PCN (Product Change Notification) document ID is 11829-00:

http://qdms.intel.com/dm/i.aspx/4CC49E0F-EB14-46EA-8791-FE5E232DDC50/PCN111829-00.pdf

The PDB (little white sticker) of the RMS25KB080 B0 stepping (that I had received) is G35828-302, and the updated PDB of the D1 stepping is G35828-310.  So look for that when you receive your cards to identify the stepping.

Got mine today. Both B0 stepping from Kalley.

Have any of you be able to check if VT-d is enabled on the Xeon ES?

You can check this yourself with the S-spec number (5 digits) that is usually in the eBay listing. Go to cpu-world.com and search for the CPU and you will have a list of the different S-spec numbers. Clicking them will show you if it has vt-d or not.

Have any of you be able to check if VT-d is enabled on the Xeon ES?

You can check this yourself with the S-spec number (5 digits) that is usually in the eBay listing. Go to cpu-world.com and search for the CPU and you will have a list of the different S-spec numbers. Clicking them will show you if it has vt-d or not.

umm it seems there isn't that number in the offer :(http://www.ebay.es/itm/351725990417?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So, I've been reading about unRAID for about 3 months and have read over this whole thread and think I'm ready to start ordering parts.  Purpose of my setup is to run Plex for 20+ users at a time, Sonarr, SickRage, Plex.py/PlexWatch/PlexSentry (haven't decided yet), Plex Requests, torrents, and a gaming VM.  Here is my build so far:

CPU:  2x Xeon E5-2670v1 (SR0KX)

Motherboard:  ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16

RAM:  8x Samsung 8GB 2Rx4 PC3L-10600R

CPU Cooler:  2x Noctua Cooler NH-U12DXi4

PSU:  EVO SuperNOVA 850watt Platinum

Cache pool:  2x Samsung 850 Pro 256gb SSD

Partiy drive: WD Red 6tb 5400RPM

1st RAID drive  WD Red 4tb 5400RPM

Case  Norco RM-4220

My other RAID drives will be coming out of my current Windows file server and will be a mixture of 1TB up to 4TB drives.  I will use the preclear app to make sure all the drives I'll be re-purposing meet the standard before adding them to unRAID. Obviously, I'll need a thumbdrive and some 8087 to SATA breakout cables, but I was going to wait on those until the parts arrived so I can do proper cable management.  Can anyone see anything that I'm missing, or any gotchas that I may be unaware about? I do plan on ordering the GTX 1070 for my gaming VM when it comes out in 3wks or so, but in the meantime I have a Radeon 5870 1gb collecting dust in my old gaming computer that I was going to use to get the VM setup with. How does one game w/ a gaming VM? Do you RDP into it? Steam box stream over the local network?  I obviously don't want to sit next to this monstrosity and play games, so some way to stream to another device would be ideal.  Anyway, any thoughts, suggestions, you're thinking of it all wrong, would be much appreciated.

PS: The links aren't necessarily where I'm buying the parts from.  I did find the RAM for cheaper (and a total of 80gb vs 64gb) on eBay.  They're more just for descriptions, etc.

So, I've been reading about unRAID for about 3 months and have read over this whole thread and think I'm ready to start ordering parts.  Purpose of my setup is to run Plex for 20+ users at a time, Sonarr, SickRage, Plex.py/PlexWatch/PlexSentry (haven't decided yet), Plex Requests, torrents, and a gaming VM.  Here is my build so far:

CPU:  2x Xeon E5-2670v1 (SR0KX)

Motherboard:  ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16

RAM:  8x Samsung 8GB 2Rx4 PC3L-10600R

CPU Cooler:  2x Noctua Cooler NH-U12DXi4

PSU:  EVO SuperNOVA 850watt Platinum

Cache pool:  2x Samsung 850 Pro 256gb SSD

Partiy drive: WD Red 6tb 5400RPM

1st RAID drive  WD Red 4tb 5400RPM

Case  Norco RM-4220

My other RAID drives will be coming out of my current Windows file server and will be a mixture of 1TB up to 4TB drives.  I will use the preclear app to make sure all the drives I'll be re-purposing meet the standard before adding them to unRAID. Obviously, I'll need a thumbdrive and some 8087 to SATA breakout cables, but I was going to wait on those until the parts arrived so I can do proper cable management.  Can anyone see anything that I'm missing, or any gotchas that I may be unaware about? I do plan on ordering the GTX 1070 for my gaming VM when it comes out in 3wks or so, but in the meantime I have a Radeon 5870 1gb collecting dust in my old gaming computer that I was going to use to get the VM setup with. How does one game w/ a gaming VM? Do you RDP into it? Steam box stream over the local network?  I obviously don't want to sit next to this monstrosity and play games, so some way to stream to another device would be ideal.  Anyway, any thoughts, suggestions, you're thinking of it all wrong, would be much appreciated.

PS: The links aren't necessarily where I'm buying the parts from.  I did find the RAM for cheaper (and a total of 80gb vs 64gb) on eBay.  They're more just for descriptions, etc.

I guess the biggest concerns are:

How many concurrent users will you have? If they all need transcoding you may run out of CPU power... eventually.

Possibly drive access may become a bottle neck depending on if three people are making a request of the same drive at the same time.

Regarding GPU passthrough, you tend to either feed HDMI and USB around somehow, or use Steam Streaming to get the video around, which introduces some latency, but not bunches.

With 20+ users, I would consider cloud sync with Google Drive on plex. That way all your media will be synced to your Google Drive account and the users will stream from there. Google can certainly handle that many users accessing the same file at the same time.

The obvious bottleneck would be the space available and the cost

I guess the biggest concerns are:

How many concurrent users will you have? If they all need transcoding you may run out of CPU power... eventually.

Possibly drive access may become a bottle neck depending on if three people are making a request of the same drive at the same time.

Regarding GPU passthrough, you tend to either feed HDMI and USB around somehow, or use Steam Streaming to get the video around, which introduces some latency, but not bunches.

I currently have ~12 concurrent Plex sessions going at my peak time, but would have more if it didn't completely tax out my HP G5 w/ 2x Xeon dual core 2.6ghz CPUs. They're a mixture of transcode/direct stream, so take that for what it's worth.  I have a feeling w/ this new server is that I'll max out my upstream before I max out the CPUs.

With Steam In-Home Streaming, w/ the latency that you get, is it still possible to play multiplayer games, or is it more for just single player local? Not that I play many multiplayer games anymore, but it would be nice to have the option. 

Thanks for the response! Lets me know I'm going in the right direction in my thought process.

@aptalca: Wouldn't playing from Google Drive just force the data to be streamed to my Plex server, transcoded if need be, and then shot out to the client?

Edit: Just read up on cloud sync in Plex.  Didn't realize they had created that feature.  Anyway, upon reading around, it doesn't look like it's very reliable. Not to mention, a lot of those providers will ban your account/delete your content if they find that you're sharing it with multiple people. Doesn't matter if it's ripped, pirated, etc.

Cloud sync has been around for years. I've been using it with family and friends. I have not heard of anyone's account being shut down for sharing. Google Drive allows sharing. And they are not published publicly.

My mother-in-law likes to put cartoons on repeat all day for my sister-in-law's kids. I put all those cartoons on Google Drive and my server or Internet connection is no longer taxed.

She accesses them in plex (selects the cloud library in the gui) and she doesn't even know that they are streaming directly from Google.

The only limit is the sharing quota with Google Drive. I've never hit it, but I know there are certain limits (maybe by number of users per day? )