$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

Haha... well, the Supermicro case wouldn't even fit in my current rack! So I will end up sticking with my current primary server case (Lian Li PC-A71F, supports E-ATX was a steal thanks to a NewEgg pricing error) until I move and get a much larger rack than my current wood laminate AV rack.

Guess my only other question is does anyone think using my current OCZ Z1000M PSU would be a bad idea? It has a 8 pin 12V EPS plug and a 4+4 pin CPU plug (two CPU plugs), and a single 12V rail

Guess my only other question is does anyone think using my current OCZ Z1000M PSU would be a bad idea? It has a 8 pin 12V EPS plug and a 4+4 pin CPU plug (two CPU plugs), and a single 12V rail

Sure, that's got plenty of power.    And it actually has 2 EPS plugs => one is simply divided into 4+4 so it can be used with boards that require a 4-pin aux CPU power connection.

Mine just arrived from ebay seller stalliontek.

Shipped in a box which could fit 50 of them, 2 inches of bubble wrap on all sides, sealed in an airtight plastic bag and rolled in two layers of 5mm pink foam which itself is taped together with a big yellow warning sticker.

Now to buy the motherboard.

That's a good reason for me not to buy one then...  Until I can find someone that will package correctly.  :)

Will the Asrock EP2C602-4L/D16 allow pass through of the 4 lan port under unRaid.  Pass through of lan ports is required for pfSense.  Hoping this will be the

One Box to Rule them All

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157350&cm_re=EP2C602-4L%2fD16-_-13-157-350-_-Product

You can probably pass through two of the NICs using this method if you're lucky the native IOMMU groups show the two controllers as separate devices, failing that PCIe Intel PRO/1000 (dual or quad) work fine.

My Quad shows up as four devices in two major groups (5.00.00/5.01.00 & 6.00.00/6.01.00) and an additional two devices that cannot be passed through (some error message, but passing the four devices through works fine).

It was a joke. nevermind.... I'm basicly looking for excuses not to buy one.

Save yourself the trouble and give in already. You know you will eventually

You're probably right, i'll probably end up with a dual cpu rig. It's just too tempting....  They've been dropping like a rock in price since October, they were up around $170, now they're less than $70 each.  Maybe 3 more months from now they'll be giving them away.  :)

I wonder how many people on this forum have first been:

1 - driven to update their unRAID machines (even thought they had no plans on upgrading)

2 - driven to the dual socket motherboards when they had no plans to ever go dual socket and buy server grade equipment (ECC RAM, Server mobo)?

I know for one I had just rearranged my server setup over xmas holidays, and I was pretty happy with it.

Now I have an ASRock EP2C602 dual socket board, 32GB ECC ram, 2 E5-2670 CPUs and a 3U server case to house the EATX mobo in.

Just need to find the time migrate the previous system to this one.

Will the Asrock EP2C602-4L/D16 allow pass through of the 4 lan port under unRaid.  Pass through of lan ports is required for pfSense.  Hoping this will be the

One Box to Rule them All

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157350&cm_re=EP2C602-4L%2fD16-_-13-157-350-_-Product

I decided against the quad NIC ASRock and bought the cheaper 2 NIC version (The basic EP2C602).

Besides from the mobo being quite a bit cheaper (here in canada), a dual NIC PCIe card is much more flexible, and there's no question about it's ability to be passed through to any VM.

I have the same line of thinking on USB3 ports on the mobo.

Having discrete cards make it way easier and modular to assign ports to any VM.

Having integrated ports (on the motherboard) in my opinion only makes sense if you're planning on using all the PCIe slots with other cards (or you don't have many slots to begin with like in  mini-ITX form factor), or you're counting your Watts and trying to keep the system as low power consumption as possible.

I'm going to have to try REALLY hard to fill all of the 6 PCIe slots on my ASRock EP2C602. So far only 3 are spoken for (Dual nic card, GPU and SATA M5014 HBA controller)

Got my Norco RPC-470, RAM and both CPU's in today. Somehow my motherboard, which was the first order placed from Newegg, is still not here!

As for the case, I am a bit disappointed that it doesn't appear I can mod it to fit my 5x3's in the side HDD bays. I can definitely get it in to the center bay, but the 2 side bays are too narrow by 0.25".

Ohh well, win some lose some. Had I of come across that above linked ATX size dual slot ASUS, I probably would have went with it over my board, but dont feel like returning to newegg.