$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

So how much RAM are you going for?

I found a great deal locally for 32GB (8 sticks of 4GB) that I could not pass up (CAD$100 / US$75).

This filled up all the slots, but as I need more I will replace 4GB sticks with 16gb ones.

My previous server only had 24GB and was running several VMs and still had over 6GB leftover for unraid.

It is amazing how low-cost these server-grade components are right now ... 8-core E2670's for ~ $70, 32GB of registered RAM for about the same ... etc.    You can build a dual-processor, 16-core/32-thread server with 2 E5 Xeons, 32GB of registered RAM and a PassMark of over 18,000 right now for LESS than a new quad-core E3 series Xeon !!

It is amazing how low-cost these server-grade components are right now ... 8-core E2670's for ~ $70, 32GB of registered RAM for about the same ... etc.    You can build a dual-processor, 16-core/32-thread server with 2 E5 Xeons, 32GB of registered RAM and a PassMark of over 18,000 right now for LESS than a new quad-core E3 series Xeon !!

Yes, I am sure there is a real story behind all this.  Some bankruptcy server farm liquidation.  Way too many of these hitting the market all at once.  Classic economics 101 "law of supply and demand"

Wonder how long the prices will be so depressed?

Got my Norco RPC-470, RAM and both CPU's in today. Somehow my motherboard, which was the first order placed from Newegg, is still not here!

As for the case, I am a bit disappointed that it doesn't appear I can mod it to fit my 5x3's in the side HDD bays. I can definitely get it in to the center bay, but the 2 side bays are too narrow by 0.25".

Ohh well, win some lose some. Had I of come across that above linked ATX size dual slot ASUS, I probably would have went with it over my board, but dont feel like returning to newegg.

I got my case, MoBo, CPU Coolers, and 1st set of RAM in yesterday.  1st Set of processors, 2nd set of RAM  today.

Not very happy with the way the processors were packaged from DeepDiscountServers, (Tightly wrapped up Antistatic bags, then thrown in a padded envelope...

I've been eyeballing the hardware ALL DAY.  I had so much work to get done, I couldn't justify play time, but now...  GAME ON!

Quick tips:

I went for 2 of 64GB kits from here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201380486027?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Be careful to place your multiple orders in one buy if you plan to have more than one kit.  I made the mistake of buying two kits in two different orders, and ended up with two completely different sets of memory.  One Micron and one Samsung, (Though the Samsung had Heat spreaders and it was low profile!)

Bigger problem is the samsung was completely different timing, but worse it wasn't even low voltage memory as the description says.  The seller was very quick to respond and setup a free return.  I've ordered a new kit and specifically a Micron kit.  It's a good thing I have a 64GB kit to use for now so at least I can fire up the system tonight to make sure it posts.  (I did check the listing 3 times, there's nothing mentioned about the possibility of different kits)

Bummer about the case, I like it a lot and I ordered 1 iStar 5x3:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816215345

I know it will fit in the center, I suspect if I turn it 90 degrees I can fit two more in the sides, but from what you say I may be disappointed...  Main reason  only bought one to test fitment in the sides.  But hey, at least the stock HDD side racks come out the front easy with the removal of just 4 bolts.

Now, time to eat dinner, and get this monster to post! (Looking at this hardware all day has been such torture!)

Yes, I am sure there is a real story behind all this.  Some bankruptcy server farm liquidation.  Way too many of these hitting the market all at once.  Classic economics 101 "law of supply and demand"

Facebook upgraded all of the servers in their data centers, so these flooded the market. It's happened before, with the X5600 series Xeons a few years ago.

Facebook upgraded all of the servers in their data centers, so these flooded the market. It's happened before, with the X5600 series Xeons a few years ago.

I'm still running one.  Westmere-EP xeon x5660, paid $90 for it.  OC'ed to 4.2Ghz.  Over 11k passmark. 

Would either of you guys know the height from the top of the cpu to the top of the cooler.  These look like 4 inch high coolers.  I will be a bit tight at 4 inches in height.

It's just shy of 4.5" from the top of the CPU to the top of the cooler for the R17.

From the motherboard surface to the top of the cooler it's just over 4.5"

My case is a 3U, and the R17 fits with nearly no clearance to the cover.

So where's all the lga2011 motherboards that also came from google? Should they also not be flooding the market?

What's Facebook's update cycle? Maybe we should be updating servers on the same schedule as facebook, and benefit from the market flooding that happens... hmmm...

I'm probably pulling the trigger on the ASUS Z9PA-D8 tomorrow, anyone have any last minute comments/insights?

https://www.asus.com/nl/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/Z9PAD8/

Are there any features on that that you need compared to what is available on the Supermicro X9DR3-F?

I noticed in the US they are about the same price, plus if you need an addon card to get all those SATA ports working that might drive the cost of the ASUS board up.

Are there any features on that that you need compared to what is available on the Supermicro X9DR3-F?

The price. I can get the Z9PA-D8 for about €300, the X9DR3-F would cost me €100-€150 more.

I don't really care about the SATA ports. I have a Dell H200 for my drives, the only thing currently on the motherboard is a cache SSD so even if i double up the cache SSD in the near future that still leaves me with room for 4 extra drives.

And by the time i fill those up i imagine its likely i would have come across a cheap enough H200 or M1015.

And more importantly, i really can not afford to go over €300 at the moment.