A targeting one time Mover.

Hi all

With different formats and an needs it would be nice to be able to retarget the mover script to a drive in the array.

This script would move out all files and folders just like the mover does today from a chosen origin.

Giving us a simple way to clean off a drive without having to loose parity protection in the process or having a possibility of errors made by self on the writing from drive to drive (especially when someone like my self have deeply embedded folders making the task daunting.).

Thank you

Thornwood 

Hi all

With different formats and an needs it would be nice to be able to retarget the mover script to a drive in the array.

This script would move out all files and folders just like the mover does today from a chosen origin.

Giving us a simple way to clean off a drive without having to loose parity protection in the process or having a possibility of errors made by self on the writing from drive to drive (especially when someone like my self have deeply embedded folders making the task daunting.).

Thank you

Thornwood

Have you tried unBalance plugin?

With different formats and an needs it would be nice to be able to retarget the mover script to a drive in the array

I agree .I tried using the cache with default btrfs with a HDD and found it to be too slow.

One of the docker container (zoneminder) required faster writes.

I added a SSD to mirror the HDD to later remove the HDD.I followed the procedure in the manual to remove the HDD, only to have issues and lose cache data and had to recover data from the HDD.

The btrf recovery method with all the snapshots gave me a warm fuzzy feeling,but I landed up redoing all my containers (recovered two)because one of the apps (zoneminder)did not work.

It would be nice to relocate the btrfs snapshots to another drive i.e /mnt/disk1/cache/snapshot/#.

I changed the SSD from btrfs to XFS only to have faster functionality of the SSD.

Unbalance does not look at the cache not unassigned drives.

There were too many (command timeouts) with btrfs.

Which brings me to the unassigned drive option and a mover script.

I would have done the opposite and moved the i/o intensive docker container to the "unassigned SSD drive" formatted with XFS and left the HDD as the cache drive if I had a "mover script" for the unassigned drive for protection.

I'm not sure if this would have mass appeal.

Honestly you could do this using Linux commands or Rsync (which is what Mover invokes to do it's thing)... I get that the problem is that if you don't know Linux (and don't want to learn or mess around...) then I see what that would be a problem.

I think the mass appeal is if we can make it simple straight forward and safe ( as posable) i will try that plug in and see if it will do what i need i am just concerned that i loose data because of a stupid mistake.

It would be nice to relocate the btrfs snapshots to another drive i.e /mnt/disk1/cache/snapshot/#.

Not possible. Snapshots are a part of the BTRFS filesystem, so they must be created on the same BTRFS drive or array of BTRFS drives.

I really don't understand the rest of what you posted, but it doesn't seem to be related to this request. It seems you want to be able to tell the mover to move from one specific disk to another specific disk, which isn't what the mover does. This request is to move from say disk4 to the same shares on the other disks to empty disk4 so it can be removed, instead of the cache disk into the array shares.