SqueezeBox Server 7.5

Hmm, I think I'm just going to wait and hope for an easy install in unRAID 5.  ;)

Probably keep my Vortexbox server as main music server for now, and my collection on my unRAID server as a back-up. More back-ups, more peace-of-mind.... Using the 'SyncTwoFolders' application backing up is a one-click activity through my iMac.

Using the Server Power Control plug-in on SB Server, my Vortexbox server will suspend after a time of non activity so additional energy costs will be limited. Although as an Atom330 based server, energy use will be limited anyway.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Writing log files to an SSD is not a good idea, since repeated writes to flash will reduce its life expectancy considerably.

See here for my solution to eliminating unnecessary disk spinups.

I have since found it necessary to give the same treatment to the scanner log file.  Hence, my current startup script (held as squeezeboxserver.auto_install in /flash/packages [part of unMENU]) is:

cp /boot/custom/bin/mplayer /usr/bin/
echo " " >> /var/log/server.log
chown squeezeboxserver /var/log/server.log
echo " " >> /var/log/perfmon.log
chown squeezeboxserver /var/log/perfmon.log
echo " " >> /var/log/scanner.log
chown squeezeboxserver /var/log/scanner.log
echo "perl /mnt/cache/.Squeeze/squeezeboxserver/slimserver.pl --nosb1slimp3sync --logdir /var/log --cachedir /mnt/cache/.Squeeze/squeezeboxserver/cache --noupnp --daemon --user squeezeboxserver" | at now + 2 minutes

Since creating the above start script, I have upgraded to SBS 7.6(beta), and all is still working well.

Do you experience any disk spinups while the server is idle (i.e. no SS clients are playing); your cache dir seems to be located on the unRAID cache drive?

Yes, I have the entire SBS system installed on the cache drive - there seems to be little need to put the system in the protected array.  The software is easily re-installed and the only user data are the settings (easily re-entered) and the music database (just requires a re-scan to regenerate).  Of course, my entire music collection is stored within the protected array.

It's difficult to be absolutely sure about spinups since spindown on the cache drive doesn't appear to generate a log message.  So, it seems that the only way to check this is by regular observation.  However, I can say that I've checked several times today and the only time the cache drive span up was associated with activity on the unMENU or SBS web interfaces.

This behaviour may depend on what screensaver you use on your Squeeze devices - I run Martin Rehfeld's Weather Date & Time.

• 3 months later...

I just cant get past the following: -

[11-04-15 18:03:47.1378] main::init (326) Starting Squeezebox Server (v7.5.4, r32224, Wed Apr 13 03:06:27 MDT 2011) perl 5.010000

root@MicroServer:/mnt/disk2/slimserver# Warning: World-writable config file '/boot/packages/slimserver/Cache/my.cnf' is ignored

110415 18:03:47 [ERROR] Can't find messagefile '/usr/local/mysql/share/mysql/english/errmsg.sys'

110415 18:03:47 [ERROR] Aborting

Then another 30 seconds or so of the World-writable ignored warning.

Any ideas gents? What other info do you require?

Cheers Dan.

Sorted it.

I think I messed up the MySQL install from unMENU.

So went back to a pre-install backup and started again. Still some issues with permissions on the slimserver folder, but ok after that.

Can anyone point me towards the 'go' script for setting the passwd file for slimserver on reboot?

Cheers, Dan

Right, i've tried several different edits of my go file without any joy.

Can someone please help me out?  ???

This is what I currently have: -

#!/bin/bash

# Start the Management Utility

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

/boot/unmenu/uu installpkg

/boot/packages/powerdown-1.02.tgz

echo >> /etc/passwd

echo slimserver:$1$oExleBv6$Ux2qBpAanWMqJqUeH2xqp1:1000:100:,,,:/home/slimserver:/bin/bash >> /etc/passwd

/mnt/disk1/slimserver/perl slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver

#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

echo >> /etc/passwd

echo slimserver:$1$oExleBv6$Ux2qBpAanWMqJqUeH2xqp1:1000:100:,,,:/home/slimserver:/bin/bash >> /etc/passwd

Remove what is in red, it is wrong.

I start Slim (SqueezeBoxServer) by use of the unMENU package auto installer.

I have the attached file in my /boot/packages folder ('.txt' added to end of name to allow me to post it here).

I have SBS installed on my cache drive - you, obviously, use a different location so would have to make some small adjustments to my file.

PS.  Oh, and  I've saved my modified passwd file on my flash drive to save adding the additional user on every boot.

PPS.  And I have mplayer installed (for AlienBBC?).

squeezeboxserver.auto_install.txt

#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

echo >> /etc/passwd

Remove what is in red, it is wrong.

Actually, the word in "red" should be in front of the path to the powerdown package in the next line.  It should read

/boot/unmenu/uu

installpkg /boot/packages/powerdown-1.02.tgz

Joe L.

Hi all. Firstly, thanks for your help/suggestions so far.

Well i'm now back to this scenario: -

I just cant get past the following: -

[11-04-15 18:03:47.1378] main::init (326) Starting Squeezebox Server (v7.5.4, r32224, Wed Apr 13 03:06:27 MDT 2011) perl 5.010000

root@MicroServer:/mnt/disk2/slimserver# Warning: World-writable config file '/boot/packages/slimserver/Cache/my.cnf' is ignored

110415 18:03:47 [ERROR] Can't find messagefile '/usr/local/mysql/share/mysql/english/errmsg.sys'

110415 18:03:47 [ERROR] Aborting

Then another 30 seconds or so of the World-writable ignored warning.

Any ideas gents? What other info do you require?

Cheers Dan.

The wife wants a cheese sandwich and i'm loosing the will.

Here are the variables i use on the mySQL install:

Hostname: Microserver

Disk Label: disk2

MySQL root Password: *my 'root' password*

First Database: musicDB

Database User: root

Database User Password: *my 'root' password, again*

Custom parameters:

Are these wrong, is that why i'm getting the error?

Thanks in advance, Dan

Here are the variables i use on the mySQL install:

Hostname: Microserver

Disk Label: disk2

MySQL root Password: *my 'root' password*

First Database: musicDB

Database User: root

Database User Password: *my 'root' password, again*

Custom parameters:

Are these wrong, is that why i'm getting the error?

I don't remember doing any of that.  MySQL is included in the SBS distribution, and I just accepted any settings it comes with.

nah, same shit, different day: -

Warning: World-writable config file '/boot/apps/slimserver/Cache/my.cnf' is ignored

root@MicroServer:/boot/apps/slimserver# perl slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver            perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:

LANGUAGE = (unset),

LC_ALL = (unset),

LC_COLLATE = "C",

LANG = "en_US"

are supported and installed on your system.

perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

Your locale was detected as C, you may have problems with non-Latin filenames.  Consider changing your LANG variable to the correct locale, i.e. en_US.utf8

[11-04-25 17:02:59.4219] main::init (326) Starting Squeezebox Server (v7.5.4, r32224, Sat Apr 16 03:04:40 MDT 2011) perl 5.010000

root@MicroServer:/boot/apps/slimserver# Warning: World-writable config file '/boot/apps/slimserver/Cache/my.cnf' is ignored

110425 17:02:59 [ERROR] Can't find messagefile '/usr/local/mysql/share/mysql/english/errmsg.sys'

110425 17:02:59 [ERROR] Aborting

I've tried doing the install on the USB, so will try again on disk2, this was working at one point.

right, all up and running again, had to install MySQL and put the install on disk2.

Does this mean it will not spin down now?

Does this also mean that I cant powerdown unRAID, without having to endure a day of reinstallation? :'(

It means you must stop MySQL before you attempt to stop unRAID.

Then you can powerdown.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally decided to give installing Squeezeboxserver a go today. I knew I would get issues but I am stuck on this one;

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

LANGUAGE = (unset),

LC_ALL = (unset),

LC_COLLATE = "C",

LANG = "en_US"

Your locale was detected as C, you may have problems with non-Latin filenames.  Consider changing your LANG variable to the correct locale, i.e. en_US.utf8

[11-08-06 12:16:20.5296] main::init (349) Starting Squeezebox Server (v7.6.1, r32942, Tue Aug  2 03:05:47 MDT 2011) perl 5.010000

[11-08-06 12:16:20.5326] main::init (438) Warning: Can't locate UUID/Tiny.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /mnt/cache/_slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.10/i386-linux-thread-multi /mnt/cache/_slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.10/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto /mnt/cache/_slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.10.0/i486-linux-thread-multi /mnt/cache/_slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.10.0/i486-linux-thread-multi/auto /mnt/cache/_slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.10/i486-linux-thread-multi /mnt/cache/_slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.10/i486-linux-thread-multi/auto /mnt/cache/_slimserver/CPAN/arch/i486-linux-thread-multi /mnt/cache/_slimserver/lib /mnt/cache/_slimserver/CPAN /mnt/cache/_slimserver /mnt/cache/_slimserver /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/i486-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/i486-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/i486-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at slimserver.pl line 438.

[11-08-06 12:16:20.5329] Slim::Utils::Prefs::Namespace::savenow (335) Error: can't save /mnt/cache/_slimserver/prefs/server.prefs: Permission denied at /mnt/cache/_slimserver/Slim/Utils/Prefs/Namespace.pm line 324.

I'm pretty sure it is a permission problem but I am unsure how to resolve it.

My install is on my cache drive under /mnt/cache/_slimserver

I have run the following;

chmod -R 775 _slimserver/

chmod -R 777 /mnt/disk5/FLAC (my music location for Squeezebox)

Plus also tried;

chown -R slimserver:root ./_slimserver as I found this in another thread

But when I run perl slimserver.pl --user slimserver I still get the above errors regarding permisions.

Just for detail I running unRAID 4.7 and I installed Perl via unMENU. Then downloaded squeezeboxserver-7.6.1-32942.gz from the Logitech nightlies, copied to my cache drive and run the following;

tar -xf squeezeboxserver-7.6.1-32942.gz

mv squeezeboxserver-7.6.1-32942.gz/ slimserver/

Then;

echo >> /etc/passwd

Any suggestions?

Just to be sure I have just deleted the _slimserver directory and ran through the following;

cd /mnt/cache/

tar --no-same-owner -xf squeezeboxserver-7.6.1-32942.gz

mv squeezeboxserver-7.6.1-32942/ slimserver/

echo >> /etc/passwd

chmod -R 775 _slimserver/

chmod -R 777 /mnt/disk5/FLAC

cd _slimserver/

perl slimserver.pl --user slimserver

Still getting the same output;

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

LANGUAGE = (unset),

LC_ALL = (unset),

LC_COLLATE = "C",

LANG = "en_US"

Your locale was detected as C, you may have problems with non-Latin filenames.  Consider changing your LANG variable to the correct locale, i.e. en_US.utf8

[11-08-06 13:17:13.8760] main::init (349) Starting Squeezebox Server (v7.6.1, r32942, Tue Aug  2 03:05:47 MDT 2011) perl 5.010000

[11-08-06 13:17:14.2687] main::init (438) Warning: Can't locate UUID/Tiny.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /mnt/cache/_slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.10/i386-linux-thread-multi /mnt/cache/_slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.10/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto /mnt/cache/_slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.10.0/i486-linux-thread-multi /mnt/cache/_slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.10.0/i486-linux-thread-multi/auto /mnt/cache/_slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.10/i486-linux-thread-multi /mnt/cache/_slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.10/i486-linux-thread-multi/auto /mnt/cache/_slimserver/CPAN/arch/i486-linux-thread-multi /mnt/cache/_slimserver/lib /mnt/cache/_slimserver/CPAN /mnt/cache/_slimserver /mnt/cache/_slimserver /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/i486-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/i486-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/i486-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at slimserver.pl line 438.

[11-08-06 13:17:14.2691] Slim::Utils::Prefs::Namespace::savenow (335) Error: can't save /mnt/cache/_slimserver/prefs/server.prefs: Permission denied at /mnt/cache/_slimserver/Slim/Utils/Prefs/Namespace.pm line 324.

Just tried renaming squeezeboxserver-7.6.1-32942.gz back to a .tgz file as for some reason Windows changes the downloaded file to a .gz, no idea why. Anyway run through the same process as above but with the .tgz file and the results are the same :'( Not sure what to do at this point?

Hi Josh, yes I have been reading through the entire thread and making notes as I go. Probably need to go back through it again but so far I have only seen one post with the same error but no report as to how it was fixed apart from permissions.

Sorry yes I had tried chmod 777 for _slimserver also but same result, just tried it again to make sure.

I am a little stuck right now and figure this is a rights/permissions issue.