SqueezeBox Server 7.5

Figured I would create a new thread for this and let everyone have a look at what I had done.

I have been wanting to listen to my music collection from work and I was not able to find a a software player that was working for me.  At least on my Mac Softsqueeze was not playing any audio.  So, I did some more searching and found a new software player called SqueezePlay.  It is looks pretty nice and works very well on my Mac.

A NOTE:

I am running BubbaRAID so all the needed perl stuff is installed for me already.  I am not going to go into detail on getting all of that stuff installed.

So without further adieu:

To get SqueezePlay working you need to have a newer version of SlimServer/SlimCenter/Squeezeboxserver installed on the unRAID machine.  If you are already running BubbaRAID then you might already have a slimserver folder on your machine.  If you do then you are might as well delete it for now. To do this open a telnet session and type:

cd /mnt/disk1/slimserver/
rm -rf *
cd ..
rmdir slimserver/

Next you need to download the new SqueezeBoxServer and SqueezePlay software from here.  The SqueezePlay software is easy to install on your local machine so I will not bother trying to walk you through it.  For the new version of SqueezeBoxServer you need to download the Unix Tarball version (or that is the one I downloaded, someone correct me if I am wrong here).  From there put the .tgz file on disk one and open a telnet session.  Once you have navigated to disk1 via cd /mnt/disk1/ you can pop off an "ls" to make sure the .tgz file is there.  If it is you can do the following:

tar -xf squeezeboxserver-7.5.0-29093.tgz
mv squeezeboxserver-7.5.0-29093/ slimserver/

That will untar the SqueezeBoxServer software and then rename the folder the contents are in to "slimserver."  from there navigate into the slimserver folder via:

cd slimserver/

Once in there you can start up slimserver via the slimserver.pl script like so:

perl slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver

You might get some output on the command line about it starting up and it not recognizing some files (if they are not AAC/MP3/FLAC or some other audio file, mine has a few video podcasts and it did not like them) but you can ignore those messages.  If you get a message about no user slimserver being available then you are going to have to add  this line

slimserver:$1$oExleBv6$Ux2qBpAanWMqJqUeH2xqp1:1000:100:,,,:/home/slimserver:/bin/bash

to your /etc/passwd file.  you can use vi to do this so just do some googling to figure out hos to use vi.

NOW

If you had BubbaQ's version of slimserver autostarting you should be OK.  Assuming the slimserver user is being created OK it should start without a problem.  If you are not using BubbaRAID my suggestion is to add something like:

to your go script or using the Third party Boot Flash Plugin Architecture to achieve the same thing. Also, you might need to "chmod -R 777" your Music folder along with the "slimserver" folder.

If there is anything I have missed feel free to correct me and I will update my instructions here.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for posting the instructions.

I've been wanting to update my current squeezecenter version from 7.2.1 for ages now!  However, I don't want to trash it incase I don't get version 7.4/7.5 to work (for some reason).  I'm running bubbaraid, so I have the required Perl installed. So presumably I can stop the 7.2.1 instance from starting by editing the go file?!?  In fact I would remove bubbaraid entirely since the only reason I use it is for the easy squeezecenter install... I'm guessing that Perl is run from the boot drive and not from disk as squeezcenter is? 

Is there a way to port over settings or 'upgrade' previous versions of squeezcenter?

Cheers, Matt.

Thanks for posting the instructions.

I've been wanting to update my current squeezecenter version from 7.2.1 for ages now!  However, I don't want to trash it incase I don't get version 7.4/7.5 to work (for some reason).  I'm running bubbaraid, so I have the required Perl installed. So presumably I can stop the 7.2.1 instance from starting by editing the go file?!?  In fact I would remove bubbaraid entirely since the only reason I use it is for the easy squeezecenter install... I'm guessing that Perl is run from the boot drive and not from disk as squeezcenter is? 

Is there a way to port over settings or 'upgrade' previous versions of squeezcenter?

Cheers, Matt.

If you are using BubbaRAID then you are probably starting Slimserver via the "autostart" feature.  To stop 7.2.1 from starting then simply untick that box.  Make sure to stop the 7.2.1 process also.

If you go back to normal unRAID you will have to install all the squeezebox server related dependencies yourself, including perl I believe.  I am not positive on that though.

Also, about the SqueezePlay stuff; I could not get it to work away from my house.  When I am on my local network it is a great player but it is not quite as flexible when outside the network.  If I could just figure out how to make it take a dynamic dns address I would be much better off.

EDIT: i did finally get SqueezePlay to connect to my music library on my unRAID server which is located at home.  It is streaming the music but it does skip/rebuffer more than i would like.  When i get a chance i will look into why and see if i can remedy it, but for now i am happy it is working at all.

• 2 weeks later...

First, let me start with a MILLION thanks for this post. I tried to use SlimServer from my unRAID box several months ago but gave up after I could not get it to work. These instructions are great and are giving me the energy to try again.

Of course, I am a total Linux Newb, so some of this is still a mistery to me. So, if you could help a Newb out, I would be grateful !

NOW

If you had BubbaQ's version of slimserver autostarting you are probably going to want to disable that and also NEVER push the "Start Slimserver" and "Stop Slimserver" buttons.  They did not seem to work properly for me.  My suggestion is to add something like:

to your go script or using the Third party Boot Flash Plugin Architecture to achieve the same thing. Also, you might need to chmodd -R 777 your Music folder along with the "slimserver" folder.

If there is anything I have missed feel free to correct me and I will update my instructions here.

This is the part I struggled with on my first attempt, and I expect will be my challenge again.

My large music collection sits on several disks on my unRAID box all undr one "music" share and therefore, I need to do something to my permissions to allow the server to see my whole music collection.

How do I do that ? What do I need to enter in a script somewhere, and where, to give the permissions to the server to access and scan my single share of music ? Don't be affraid to treat me like a Dummy ... I am in this area ! <grin>

Is there anything else I need to do to a script/startup file to make sure that my SqueezeServer works well and reliably, and has access to my music share, on each and every start of my unRAID box ?

I am most tallented at cutting and pasting into a text file on my USB key ... that I can do ... but the rest of Linux is a new experience to me ;)

Thanks in advance !

First, let me start with a MILLION thanks for this post. I tried to use SlimServer from my unRAID box several months ago but gave up after I could not get it to work. These instructions are great and are giving me the energy to try again.

Of course, I am a total Linux Newb, so some of this is still a mistery to me. So, if you could help a Newb out, I would be grateful !

NOW

If you had BubbaQ's version of slimserver autostarting you are probably going to want to disable that and also NEVER push the "Start Slimserver" and "Stop Slimserver" buttons.  They did not seem to work properly for me.  My suggestion is to add something like:

to your go script or using the Third party Boot Flash Plugin Architecture to achieve the same thing. Also, you might need to chmodd -R 777 your Music folder along with the "slimserver" folder.

This is the part I struggled with on my first attempt, and I expect will be my challenge again.

My large music collection sits on several disks on my unRAID box all undr one "music" share and therefore, I need to do something to my permissions to allow the server to see my whole music collection.

How do I do that ? What do I need to enter in a script somewhere, and where, to give the permissions to the server to access and scan my single share of music ? Don't be affraid to treat me like a Dummy ... I am in this area ! <grin>

Is there anything else I need to do to a script/startup file to make sure that my SqueezeServer works well and reliably, and has access to my music share, on each and every start of my unRAID box ?

I am most tallented at cutting and pasting into a text file on my USB key ... that I can do ... but the rest of Linux is a new experience to me ;)

Thanks in advance !

I am not sure of exactly everything that you will need to get it up and running (a version of perl is obviously necessary) but beyond that I am not sure.  You will have to do some reading and searching on your own most likely to get it up and running 100%

I am also unsure if you will manage to get SqueezeBox Server to point to /mnt/user/<name of music folder>.  I know you can't select /mnt/user/ when setting it up, but it does allow you to type in the path.  You will need to telnet into the tower (instructions can be found somewhere in the unRAID wiki) and run chmod -R 777 /mnt/disk<x>/<name of music folder> where x is the disk number.

The direction about adding the lines to the go script in /boot/config/ will allow slimserver to start on every boot; EXCEPT if the slimserver user is not present.  BubbaQ's BubbaRAID package creates this user for you but you can add this line in your go script also before you start slimserver.

echo >> /etc/passwd
echo slimserver:$1$oExleBv6$Ux2qBpAanWMqJqUeH2xqp1:1000:100:,,,:/home/slimserver:/bin/bash >> /etc/passwd

This will add the slimserver user to the /etc/passwd file.

Ok I have attempted installing squeeze center 7.5 but am running in to a few problems.  I got this from the server.log...

[09-11-21 19:13:49.6802] main::init (320) Starting Squeezebox Server (v7.5.0, r2

9380, Sat Nov 21 02:06:38 PST 2009) perl 5.010000

[09-11-21 19:13:49.7993] YAML::Syck::DumpFile (108) Warning: Cannot write to /mn

t/disk2/Programs/squeezeboxserver-7.5.0-29380/Cache/plugin-data.yaml: Permission

denied at /mnt/disk2/Programs/squeezeboxserver-7.5.0-29380/CPAN/YAML/Syck.pm li

ne 108.

So it's a permissions issue but I'm not sure if I need to chown something or chmod something.  This is why I hate unix ;D

Any ideas?

Cheers.  Matt.

Thanks again prostuff1 !

So, I have thrown in the towel for my current arrangement ... I am in the process of moving all files from the Music share on the 13 discs to one single disk, still under the same share That should solve a portion of the problem.

I was really trying to avoid this as it in creates a single point of failure for the music share ... all the files are now on one disk, instead of multiple disks. So, instead of losing a portion of my files in a case where one drive fails and for some reason the parity drive or a second drive fails, I would now lose my entire library in the same type of failure. But of course, my risk is now on only one drive failure that could affect the music library instead of 13. Most of my library also exists as lossless files on DVDs as a back up, so I wouln't need to re-rip everything. I might back the whole drive to another soon just to make sure I am well protected.

So, once this is done, I will try to setup my SqueezeBox server on my unRAID box.

I look forward to having SqueezeBox running on that box !

I also realy appreciate the help here from the community, and the exceptional product that is unRAID.

try a chmod -R 777 on the slimserver folder.

Worked a treat matey, just re-scanning the library now ;D

Only today did I upgrade bubbaraid to a version that allows you to auto-start the various apps.  However, the auto-start doesn't seem to work with slimserver 7.2.1 that bubbaraid supported.  So I guess I'll have to add the start command in to the go script.

When I get time I'm going to look in to getting rid of bubbaraid and doing a clean install of perl + squeezebox server... That way you can keep current with the updates to unraid.

Cheers, Matt.

I telnet into the machine and do a:

ps -ef

to see what process are running and then I find the PID of the perl process.  Mine is listed like so:

kyle      8026     1  0 Nov13 ?        00:00:55 perl /mnt/disk1/slimserver/slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver

and then all I need to type in the telnet window again is:

kill 8026

That should get slimserver and all of its children to go by by.

Thanks for your help.

I have finished moving my music library to a single drive in the array, followed the original instructions above to install squeezeserver 7.4.1 and tried to use chmod to get things going. I then tried to start squeezeserver and it seems to start but when I try to access the web interface, the page times out :(

In the telnet session, here is what I see when I start the perl application :

/mnt/disk1/slimserver# perl slimserver.pl --deamon --user slimserver
Your locale was detected as C, you may have problems with non-Latin filenames.  Consider changing your LANG variable to the correct locale, i.e. en_US.utf8
[09-11-23 21:05:38.1536] main::init (320) Starting Squeezebox Server (v7.4.1, r28947, Tue Oct 20 08:02:44 PDT 2009) perl 5.010000Warning: World-writable config file '/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Cache/my.cnf' is ignored
Warning: World-writable config file '/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Cache/my.cnf' is ignored
Warning: World-writable config file '/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Cache/my.cnf' is ignored
091123 21:05:38 [ERROR] Can't find messagefile '/usr/local/mysql/share/mysql/english/errmsg.sys'
091123 21:05:38 [ERROR] Aborting

and the warning lines go for some time.

I can see the process running, but the web interface does not respond.

Am I missing something ? Do you guys see something wrong ?

Thanks in advance !

Thanks for your help.

I have finished moving my music library to a single drive in the array, followed the original instructions above to install squeezeserver 7.4.1 and tried to use chmod to get things going. I then tried to start squeezeserver and it seems to start but when I try to access the web interface, the page times out :(

Your locale was detected as C, you may have problems with non-Latin filenames.  Consider changing your LANG variable to the correct locale, i.e. en_US.utf8
[09-11-23 21:05:38.1536] main::init (320) Starting Squeezebox Server (v7.4.1, r28947, Tue Oct 20 08:02:44 PDT 2009) perl 5.010000Warning: World-writable config file '/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Cache/my.cnf' is ignored
091123 21:05:38 [ERROR] Can't find messagefile '/usr/local/mysql/share/mysql/english/errmsg.sys'

Thanks in advance !

I had this problem once before and it turned out to be something with squeezebox server that was screwed up.  The perl code is not that great, and if I remember correctly the BubbaRAID package went back to using a previous version and not the 7.4.1 release.  My suggestion is to move to using 7.5, as I know that it works.  I am not going to mess around with 7.4.1 but I will try to help all that I can.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks in advance !

Hi, I had this exact issue with 7.4.2... I was previously running 7.5 as linked to by prostuff, but apparently that isn't recommended at the mo http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Nightly_Builds

Anyways, whilst I had no problems getting 7.5 working, with 7.4.2 I had a load of fannying around to do.  I figured it out in the end, but it was hassle.  Basically the Cache directory should not be 777, it should be 775 I think.  I had a few other directory permissions/owner issues as well.  All seems to be well now.  I will do an ls -l and post tonight if you're interested.

Matt.

ps -ef

to see what process are running and then I find the PID of the perl process.  Mine is listed like so:

kyle      8026     1  0 Nov13 ?        00:00:55 perl /mnt/disk1/slimserver/slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver

kill 8026

I was looking for something that was a little more automated for the girlfriend  ;D  Anyhow, when the shutdown command is issued, doesn't it simply call kill on all the processes anyway??  Anyone?

Matt.

Hi, I had this exact issue with 7.4.2... I was previously running 7.5 as linked to by prostuff, but apparently that isn't recommended at the mo http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Nightly_Builds

Anyways, whilst I had no problems getting 7.5 working, with 7.4.2 I had a load of fannying around to do.  I figured it out in the end, but it was hassle.  Basically the Cache directory should not be 777, it should be 775 I think.  I had a few other directory permissions/owner issues as well.  All seems to be well now.  I will do an ls -l and post tonight if you're interested.

Matt.

Thanks Matt. I would be interested in seeing what worked for you. I have no issues running 7.5 if needed but want to find a simple/reliable way to make it work.

I was looking for something that was a little more automated for the girlfriend  ;D  Anyhow, when the shutdown command is issued, doesn't it simply call kill on all the processes anyway??  Anyone?

Matt.

if you mean typing shutdown from the command line it might work, especially if you have the powerdown package installed via unMenu.  But other then that I know of no easier way to stop SqueezeBox Server.  And if you try to stop the array from the web interface and shutdown it will show unformatted disks (or unmounting if using newer version of unRAID) and not work until the process is killed.

Actually, BubbaRaid will autostart and stop slimserver so that is probably the easiest solution.

ps -ef

kyle      8026     1  0 Nov13 ?        00:00:55 perl /mnt/disk1/slimserver/slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver

kill 8026

Matt.

Actually, BubbaRaid will autostart and stop slimserver so that is probably the easiest solution.

NO, this did NOT work for me when I upgraded my version from the one that gets installed via BubbaRAID.  I also put in my suggestions that one should NOT use the autostart feature, nor the start and stop buttons, on the Slimserver page to get it working.  For me pushing those buttons did nothing for me, except cause some headaches associated with older versions of the Squeezebox server Software.

I stand correct as it is working for me now.  See my post below!

I just tried it and it worked for me. I did download the newest tar ball for 7.5, but I doubt that made it work.

BubbaRaid is starting slimserver with:

root@Tower:/boot/bubba# more slimstart.sh

useradd slimserver -u 1000 -g 100 -o

/mnt/disk1/slimserver/slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver >/dev/null 2>&1 &

root@Tower:/boot/bubba#

Which works perfectly fine. Notice you don't actually need the perl command(like you do in win32 cmd windows). The header in the script tells it to use perl.

If you do ps -ef:

1000      2165    1  3 23:26 ?        00:00:56 /usr/bin/perl -w /mnt/disk1/slimserver/slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver

I'm not sure what BubbaRaid uses to detect slimserver, I think it is just pgreping slimserver.pl

And the stop button just issues a pkill slimserver.pl so it should all work regardless of version. Let me know if you still notice that it's not working.

I just tried it and it worked for me. I did download the newest tar ball for 7.5, but I doubt that made it work.

/mnt/disk1/slimserver/slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver >/dev/null 2>&1 &

Which works perfectly fine. Notice you don't actually need the perl command(like you do in win32 cmd windows). The header in the script tells it to use perl.

If you do ps -ef:

1000      2165     1  3 23:26 ?        00:00:56 /usr/bin/perl -w /mnt/disk1/slimserver/slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver

I'm not sure what BubbaRaid uses to detect slimserver, I think it is just pgreping slimserver.pl

And the stop button just issues a pkill slimserver.pl so it should all work regardless of version. Let me know if you still notice that it's not working.

Hum, well it does seem to be working for me now...  I have no idea why, but I remember specifically messing with this when I was trying to get 7.5 running and it just did not like this are all.

Oh well, if it works it works.  I can handle that!!

If you do ps -ef:

1000      2165     1  3 23:26 ?        00:00:56 /usr/bin/perl -w /mnt/disk1/slimserver/slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver

I will try this tonight, thanks for the tip.  I left the original 7.2.1 SC on there (just in case things went tits up), so if I alter slimserver.sh to point to my new 7.4.2 install, all should be well no?

Cheers, Matt.

Hum, well it does seem to be working for me now...  I have no idea why, but I remember specifically messing with this when I was trying to get 7.5 running and it just did not like this are all.

Oh well, if it works it works.  I can handle that!!

Ok, changed the slimstart.sh to point to the new slim center install and starting and stopping it works fine now through the bubba web interface.  However, the autostart isn't working for me ???  I've set it to autostart and bubbaraid creates a slimserver.autostart file.  But it's not firing it up for some reason :(

Any ideas guys?

Matt.